maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish(Jolla): Ideas/Qns & Concerns/Criticisms (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87764)

Lumiaman 2013-07-20 20:00

Re: Sailfish(Jolla): Ideas/Qns & Concerns/Criticisms

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1360495)
That's not a technical reason. What makes you think that permission is required from Google (or Android as you put it)? Android apps already run out-of-the-box on non-Android devices such as the Blackberry PlayBook without permission from Google.

Which android apps work without mods on other OSs? None. Google may even restrict access to gmail.

Lumiaman 2013-07-20 20:02

You guys are delusional. Starting with the fact that Jolla is so original ...it's stealing Android apps. Brilliant for a revolutionary OS

kinggo 2013-07-20 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1360489)
Please stop spreading FUD and provide a technical reason why you believe that it will not be possible to replicate an Android environment inside Sailfish.

well, I tried them on BB and most of them suck in every posible way. In fact, that experience convinced me that I don't care about android compatibility and I would be really happy if that crap can be turnd of, uninstalled and that app store (or whatever the name will be) won't accept crappy android ports.
If I'll ever need any android app I'll use my note. Or in case that I don't have android device I would by one. There's a plenty to choose for about 200€, and they are quite decent spec vise and surely will do the job better than BB does and I will save some hair.

jalyst 2013-07-20 20:14

But it's already been established (yonks ago) that what BBX uses, appears to be substantively different to what's planned for Sailfish.
Whether or not that's a good or bad thing, remains to be seen...
And according to the latest updates in the main BBX threads here, some other users experiences seem to be wildly different to yours.

mikecomputing 2013-07-20 20:34

Just started to watch at one of the aKaDEmy videos just released:

David Greaves talks about MeR and Qt

http://files.kde.org/akademy/2013/vi...er_and_Qt.webm

All videos take a look if you are intrested in Qt/KDE and MeR community :)

http://files.kde.org/akademy/2013/videos/

wicket 2013-07-20 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumiaman (Post 1360498)
Which android apps work without mods on other OSs?

That doesn't mean it's not possible to implement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumiaman (Post 1360498)
Google may even restrict access to gmail.

You only need an IMAP client to access GMail so your point is irrelevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumiaman (Post 1360500)
You guys are delusional. Starting with the fact that Jolla is so original ...it's stealing Android apps. Brilliant for a revolutionary OS

I'm not sure how running non-native apps equates to stealing.

I'm now going to stop replying to your posts as you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. May I ask that you stop littering this thread with BS or perhaps a mod can take care of it if it continues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1360501)
well, I tried them on BB and most of them suck in every posible way. In fact, that experience convinced me that I don't care about android compatibility and I would be really happy if that crap can be turnd of, uninstalled and that app store (or whatever the name will be) won't accept crappy android ports.
If I'll ever need any android app I'll use my note. Or in case that I don't have android device I would by one. There's a plenty to choose for about 200€, and they are quite decent spec vise and surely will do the job better than BB does and I will save some hair.

I can't speak for Android compatibility on BBOS as I've not tried it. What I will say is that any problems will be down to that particular implementation. I am still waiting to hear a technical reason why it would not be possible to replicate an Android environment under Sailfish that could provide 100% or very high compatibility. My main concern would be memory consumption but if it can be unloaded then I don't have a problem with it.

fw190 2013-07-20 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1360509)
Just started to watch at one of the aKadEmy videos just released:

David Greaves talks about MeR and Qt

http://files.kde.org/akademy/2013/vi...er_and_Qt.webm

All videos take a look if you are intrested in Qt/KDE and MeR community :)

http://files.kde.org/akademy/2013/videos/

How to play those on N900? (googling did not help me much or I did not search goog enough :) )

Edit:

I have tried mplayer but no luck, then remembered that there was something like extra decoders support but didnt see it in HAM - apt get decoders-support did the trick but the video doesn't run smooth even on slightly OC N900 with dsp profile loaded

Drekkie 2013-07-20 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1360489)
Please stop spreading FUD and provide a technical reason why you believe that it will not be possible to replicate an Android environment inside Sailfish.

It works better if you put LM on your ignore list like myself and many others have done. everything else is a waste of keystrokes, if you care about substantive posting.

Lumiaman 2013-07-20 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 1360513)
That doesn't mean it's not possible to implement.

You only need an IMAP client to access GMail so your point is irrelevant.

I'm not sure how running non-native apps equates to stealing.

I'm now going to stop replying to your posts as you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. May I ask that you stop littering this thread with BS or perhaps a mod can take care of it if it continues?

I can't speak for Android compatibility on BBOS as I've not tried it. What I will say is that any problems will be down to that particular implementation. I am still waiting to hear a technical reason why it would not be possible to replicate an Android environment under Sailfish that could provide 100% or very high compatibility. My main concern would be memory consumption but if it can be unloaded then I don't have a problem with it.

I am not sure why are you getting all huffey and puffey, but i will tell you what, gmail on Harmattan sucked. Why? Because Jolla geniuses couldnt do it. And you expect them to make android apps work smooth on their platform. This is fanboyish delusion. I hope people are not buying Jolla device with a delusion that Android apps will run as good as on Android device. And yes, taking Android apps is honetly not very revolutionary. You are sucking another mamas breast.

Dave999 2013-07-20 22:39

Who derailed this thread?