maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Rostelecom investment in Jolla (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100262)

richie 2018-03-21 09:30

Rostelecom investment in Jolla

New Jolla blog about Rostelecom investment in SailfishOS

https://blog.jolla.com/new-strategic...ilfish-family/

mariusmssj 2018-03-21 13:58

Re: Rostelecom investment in Jolla

Well if they got more support and funding hopefully they do more full feature fledged updates!!! and actually offer SailfishOS on wider range of devices.

Dave999 2018-03-21 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusmssj (Post 1542593)
Well if they got more support and funding hopefully they do more full feature fledged updates!!! and actually offer SailfishOS on wider range of devices.

And finish the refund program once and for all.

tortoisedoc 2018-03-22 07:38

Future will tell.
On one side; politically there are arguments that could be debated.

On the other side, tho, they seem to be the only ones who believe in SailfishOS at the moment.

tommo 2018-03-22 09:09

I don’t mind taking my refund in roubles :D

Macros 2018-03-23 00:57

People on blog.jolla.com say Rostelecom claims to have bought jolla on their website.

https://www.rostelecom.ru/press/news/d443012

Can somebody clarify if this is true?
If so I wonder what path Sailfish will follow from now on.

KylliOrvokki 2018-03-23 06:05

It seems that Finland, Germany and EU in general had a change with Jolla to build up proper 3 option for Global markets. We had a change to build ecosystem which would be more private and now it's seems that's is slipping away.
Problem has still been that Jolla has never been totally open so in hands of Russia....

So I recommend everyone to start supporting Purism Librem 5.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=purism

It seems to be only real option now. At least for me.

kinggo 2018-03-23 08:09

EU made so many stupid regualtions about most ridiculous things but when it comes to tech, they simply let everything go to toilet drain. Sure, keeping ST Ericsson and such alive on residents budget would not be very welcomed. But now we are in a situation that if someone builds a wall around EU we can't make even a microvawe let alone something rellly advanced since CPUs and all other most important bits comes from non EU countries and companies.

tortoisedoc 2018-03-23 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1542642)
EU made so many stupid regualtions about most ridiculous things but when it comes to tech, they simply let everything go to toilet drain. Sure, keeping ST Ericsson and such alive on residents budget would not be very welcomed. But now we are in a situation that if someone builds a wall around EU we can't make even a microvawe let alone something rellly advanced since CPUs and all other most important bits comes from non EU countries and companies.

Spot on. Nokia's demise was the kulprit of all of this.
the de-industrialization of Europe as such was a complete Far-west; no rules, no parachutes, just a straight fall to the bottom (and all of us took a toll).

About jolla's rostelekom; it makes sense for rostelekom to have a stake in jolla, in order to secure SailfishOS RUS gets the rightful attention. I do not see how this would affect the currently opensourced components (except for not upstreaming).

There are alternatives to the currently closed-sourced components (glacier for example); and for Jolla MER is a key technology.
What I am saying is, anyone with pockets could come up wiht "another" SailfishOS; more easily than it was 5 years ago, and leverage the existing work forged into MER (compatibility with devices etc).

In the end (for jolla) it all boils down to the strategy caulderon: if Pienimäki has the right cards, and plays them well.

firefox-58 2018-03-23 19:07

For me not a problem receiving my refund in roubles ;-)

I think that Purism/Librem never ever at no time would make a product You can buy and held in Your hands.

Nothing now and in the past gave me a sign that there would be more than hot air.

Who has a problem with Russia/Rostelekom can sell his phone and try any other platform.
I am tired of listing that Russia is sooo bad, no freedom and much more. Can we please be more optimistic and enjoy and gratulate Jolla for surviving and a more clear future than before.

Europe has not passed its opportunities. The politicians are not so unintelligent and uninformed as we talk here all the time.

This IS THE PLAN to do nothing and stay in the dependencies from the US. They have all the knowledge we have here and maybe much more. So I think this is a decision in the EU and not a miss.

A BIG toast for the new investor and all the possibilites Jolla has now.

Russia shows us how to make strategic decisions and also to DO IT!

Zeta 2018-03-23 21:05

Malebo, from the French community, shared another article (http://jollafr.org/photos-du-stand-j...mment-204445):
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3572050

Here is an excerpt from google translate :
Quote:

From January 1, 2019, all mobile office software from the register of domestic software will have to work on the mobile OS from the same registry, it follows from a government decree published on the Internet portal of legal information. Now the only such operating system is Sailfish Mobile OS Rus, entered in the register in September 2016. The register contains a list of Russian software, for which preferences are provided for state and municipal purchases.
So they are taking it seriously !

tortoisedoc 2018-03-24 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeta (Post 1542665)
Malebo, from the French community, shared another article (http://jollafr.org/photos-du-stand-j...mment-204445):
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3572050

Here is an excerpt from google translate :

So they are taking it seriously !

Did I understand it right; this is a white-listed software group?
As in, apps which will be allowed/preferred (over competitive choices) to run on the SailfishOS RUS?
If that's the case it means huge entrance barriers for non-russian devs..

Zeta 2018-03-24 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc (Post 1542679)
Did I understand it right; this is a white-listed software group?
As in, apps which will be allowed/preferred (over competitive choices) to run on the SailfishOS RUS?
If that's the case it means huge entrance barriers for non-russian devs..

I did not understand it like that, but the article was translated from russian so it would be better to have someone speaking russian confirming.

Anyway, as I understand it, it is not for every app, only for apps used in state and municipal purchases. So for the "government" or "public auctions market" level.

chilango 2018-03-24 18:17

@Coderus! Help us

Zeta 2018-03-25 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macros (Post 1542635)
People on blog.jolla.com say Rostelecom claims to have bought jolla on their website.

https://www.rostelecom.ru/press/news/d443012

Can somebody clarify if this is true?
If so I wonder what path Sailfish will follow from now on.

I just seen that James Noori left a comment on the blog post to answer that : https://blog.jolla.com/new-strategic...ilfish-family/
Quote:

Since there has been ownership related questions, here’s some clarification:

After the investment, Rostelecom is the largest individual shareholder in the investment company Sailfish Holding Ltd. (Hong Kong) but does not own majority in Jolla Ltd. (Finland). The development of Sailfish OS has always been an international project and the company has an international shareholder base. The Sailfish family includes significant shareholders e.g. from China, and developing the company’s regional licensing strategy requires international ownership. And also, for the sake of clarity: Open Mobile Platform is not a shareholder neither in Sailfish Holding or Jolla Ltd.

Dave999 2018-03-25 20:07

Guys. Follow the money. Who do you really think running the show?

Russian have been biggest investor since 1,5 years and even some initial dudes like founders probably owning a majority share in jolla oy but they can’t do anything without money so Russians running the show.

Could be a reason why they stopped pushing refunds. :mad:

Check please!

tortoisedoc 2018-03-25 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1542712)
Guys. Follow the money. Who do you really think running the show?

Russian have been biggest investor since 1,5 years and even some initial dudes like founders probably owning a majority share in jolla oy but they can’t do anything without money so Russians running the show.

Could be a reason why they stopped pushing refunds. :mad:

Check please!

Dave, im surprised! Could be a reason why they stopped the tablet in the first place?

Dave999 2018-03-25 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc (Post 1542713)
Dave, im surprised! Could be a reason why they stopped the tablet in the first place?

What the puck are you talking about?

mosen 2018-03-25 21:12

1 Attachment(s)
;)

Dave999 2018-03-25 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1542715)

spasiba!
Great image. If it was me sending the message to jolla support it would be more like: what happened with the refund program?

On a more serious note....
What’s your take on this takeover? Especially when it comes to refund but also new devices and independent OS?

olf 2018-03-25 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1542716)
[...]Great image. [...]

+1

Quote:

On a more serious note....
@Dave666, can there be anything more serious than your Tablet refund? ;)

Quote:

What’s your take on this takeover? Especially when it comes to refund but also new devices and independent OS?
This TJC thread (and sources linked there) sheds some light on this.

Dave999 2018-03-26 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by olf (Post 1542717)
+1

@Dave666, can there be anything more serious than your Tablet refund? ;)

This TJC thread (and sources linked there) sheds some light on this.

Doesn’t give answers. It’s just hit and miss answers as far as I can see. It’s all up in the air. The image above summarizing the threads and blog post pretty well.

We just have to wait and see how this turns out, best thing being a jolla supporter is that you have to wait a lot, mostly for nothing. :

If North Korea is next strategic partner it would be awesome...

richie 2018-04-10 18:12

“Rostelecom says to rename OS Sailfish to reflect Russian identity”

https://mobile.twitter.com/stskeeps/...01919456235521

wx9 2018-04-10 18:24

I bet it'll be something catchy like МСВС 5.0 ЦАВМ.11004-01 изм. 7.

elastic 2018-04-10 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by wx9 (Post 1543201)
I bet it'll be something catchy like МСВС 5.0 ЦАВМ.11004-01 изм. 7.

My vote for vodkaOS ...

gerbick 2018-04-11 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by elastic (Post 1543207)
My vote for vodkaOS ...

This happens, I'm supporting.

claustn 2018-04-11 12:25

But from the article I understand they have the control of Sailfish OS RUS, so just the one for russia and not on the whole company.

tortoisedoc 2018-04-11 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by claustn (Post 1543225)
But from the article I understand they have the control of Sailfish OS RUS, so just the one for russia and not on the whole company.

where is that stated? they just mention sailfish multiple times, once with rus and once without.

spag 2018-04-12 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollaQH
Just to clarify: This information does not concern #SailfishOS itself, but it is limited to Rostelecom considering a product name for its special clients in Russia that would utilise Sailfish OS Mobile RUS.

https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/984393639068659712

mosen 2018-04-14 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by spag (Post 1543259)

and there is a more detailed answer in a comment on TJC.

Quote:

It is a sensitive matter, we had to sync up and get the answer properly worded.

About Jolla Oy and Rostelecom: After the investment, Rostelecom is the largest individual shareholder in the investment company "Sailfish Holding Ltd." (Hong Kong) but does not own majority in Jolla Ltd. (Finland). The development of Sailfish OS has always been an international project and the company has an international shareholder base. The Sailfish family includes significant shareholders e.g. from China, and developing the company’s regional licensing strategy requires international ownership. And also, for the sake of clarity: Open Mobile Platform is not a shareholder neither in Sailfish Holding or Jolla Ltd.

I hope that clarified everything. I have left the same comment on the blog as well and it seems to have worked well :)

Dave999 2018-04-14 09:29

To know if that matters we have to know the setup of the structure. What company has the money, owns the sailfish and so forth.

pichlo 2018-04-14 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1543302)

"Clarify"? If anything, it muddies the waters even more. So, what is the answer? Is Sailfish now controlled by FSB or not? The TJC quote did not fill me with confidence at all.

mosen 2018-04-14 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1543305)
"Clarify"? If anything, it muddies the waters even more. So, what is the answer? Is Sailfish now controlled by FSB or not? The TJC quote did not fill me with confidence at all.

i wrote detailed, james used clarify everything ;)

What i can take from the comment is:

a) Jolla Ltd. HK and Jolla Oy FI are seperate entities and Rostelecom owns majority of Jolla HK now.

b) OMP ≠ Rostelecom

c) OMP is not an investor but a licensee.
Don't know why that had to be outlined, but there might have been explicit questions regarding OMP.

peterleinchen 2018-04-14 11:15

Quote:

we had to sync up
sounds to me like:
find a wording that seems to clarify but in the end tells nothing (finally).
Normal company/business behaviour. Not worth a single word...
so what am I doing here? ;)

Zeta 2018-04-14 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1543302)

Not sure how it adds anything to the name change, and why he had to "sync" anything up, as this comment was just copied to the letter from an answer James himself made to the blog post days before:
https://blog.jolla.com/new-strategic...ilfish-family/ (search for the comment by James Noori on March 22, 2018 at 5:16 pm).
It was mentioned a few pages before: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=15

pichlo 2018-04-14 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1543306)
i wrote detailed, james used clarify everything ;)

Yes, I know. It is difficult to quote a quote when not on a proper PC (it would be "almost impossible" in a Sailfish browser; this Android tablet I am currently using makes it merely "very difficult" ;)).

mosen 2018-04-14 12:30

Still, to completely clarify:
No complete clarification happend also imo.
Proven by the point you all are able to pull valid questions quickly :)

Maybe we will see a clarification of the clarification with your helpfull remarks. Poor James, a Sisyphos style task.

kinggo 2018-04-14 13:33

so, Jolla at its best when it comes to communication :rolleyes:

tortoisedoc 2018-04-14 21:08

I agree; the answer given does not include the list of stake holders in Jolla Oy (info which should probably be easy to find with 5 €)

Martinhsl68hw 2018-04-15 12:12

I don't see what people are worried about?

https://www.google.si/amp/s/www.wire...p-telegram/amp