maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nokia Dumping Lumia 800's (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87298)

NokiaFanatic 2012-10-08 23:39

Nokia Dumping Lumia 800's

You can pick a Lumia 800 up brand new and unlocked for £140 through Tesco Direct. Sold out right now, but they will be getting more stock in. It says a lot about Nokia and Windows Phone that less than 1 year after release, the cost of the flagship device goes from £400 to £140.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mo...skuId=215-3542

The Windows Phone platform is burning.

sjgadsby 2012-10-09 00:58

Re: Nokia Dumping Lumia 800's

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1278192)
It says a lot about Nokia and Windows Phone that less than 1 year after release, the cost of the flagship device goes from £400 to £140.

Yes, it says: Windows Phone 7 phones aren't upgradable to Windows Phone 8, and Windows Phone 8 devices are about to become available.

"What maddness to so quickly abandon devices! Customers won't stay loyal having suffered such mistreatment," I exclaim as I survey my collection of Maemo Internet tablets and phones.

marxian 2012-10-09 01:23

Nokia: Abandoning People

Lumiaman 2012-10-09 01:26

Lumia 800 is a great little phone. does everything well and smooth

Kangal 2012-10-09 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1278204)
Nokia: Abandoning People

Wow, what an accurate slogan !
If it were about "Connecting People" that would go hands-down to Apple who makes it seamless for Apple customers to benefit from their smart(restrained)phone.

ranbaxy 2012-10-09 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by marxian (Post 1278204)
nokia: Abandoning people

LOL :D :D

10chars.

uTMY 2012-10-09 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 1278202)
Yes, it says: Windows Phone 7 phones aren't upgradable to Windows Phone 8, and Windows Phone 8 devices are about to become available.

"What maddness to so quickly abandon devices! Customers won't stay loyal having suffered such mistreatment," I exclaim as I survey my collection of Maemo Internet tablets and phones.

And there is precisely the difference between closed and open ecosystems.

Even though Nokia have abandoned Maemo, I can still make it do what I want, only the other day I was messing around with PHP and putting a webserver on my N900, I thought what a great idea to make it a backup to my primary web server, I had just had a power supply fail in my secondary server.

32gb of storage and all the openey goodness I want.

rgds

NokiaFanatic 2012-10-09 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 1278202)

The 2 and a half year old Iphone 4 is still selling for £320 on the Apple store even though it is a technically inferior device to the Lumia 800 (camera, CPU and storage are miles behind the Lumia). The point I am making is that Nokia are selling a much more sophisticated device for half the price of the Iphone. Lumia sales must be bombing if they are having to cut the price so much to clear inventory.

thedead1440 2012-10-09 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1278310)
The 2 and a half year old Iphone 4 is still selling for £320 on the Apple store even though it is a technically inferior device to the Lumia 800 (camera, CPU and storage are miles behind the Lumia). The point I am making is that Nokia are selling a much more sophisticated device for half the price of the Iphone. Lumia sales must be bombing if they are having to cut the price so much to clear inventory.

A smart CEO would have got safe-guards in his contract with M$ that if we have to cut our prices for a Tier 1 products within a x amount of time, M$ would be responsible as it would mean we are pushing your products against the tide...

An incompetent CEO would simply forget about such a thing...

A downright dumb CEO would sign that not only we don't ask you for compensation; we abandon any hopes of jumping ship if things get worst with you...

Elop, hats off to you!

MINKIN2 2012-10-09 11:05

Well I was going to create a post along the lines of "this is just one store, does not reflect Nokias support". However after looking around at others stores it appears as though the Lumia 800 is on the clearance shelves elsewhere too...

Carphone warehouse: Free with £12.50 contract

NOKNOK: Lumia 800 white £159

Asda: Lumia 800 black £149

Looks like other retailers are dropping the prices too, maybe they are having their own little fire sales?