maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What makes phone a success? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99564)

pexi 2017-06-29 09:39

What makes phone a success?

What makes a sexy phone? What makes a purchase decision?

My observation of it is that firstly come the numbers you read on the reviews. First choices are made here.

Then come the important physical first impressions which can be a show stopper for many. Checking the build quality and the jewel factor. Curved glass, metal finish, joints etc.

After that comes the OS first impression where a fluent experience will buy off many. I think first iPhones sold here?

Only after all of this will come the so called ecosystem and software availability. We've already placed the phone ranking in our minds after the first three experiences and it takes more effort in this to change it.

Only technically or otherwise oriented people will make it other way around and most of us willingly or unwillingly sort our selections according to the above preferences.

It is vital for Jolla to be present and looking at it's best in some high end phone models. That sends a message straight to our hearts surpassing all rational thinking :)

Veraendert 2017-06-29 10:11

Re: What makes phone a success?

Available software first. No Whatsapp- no sale. Which is unfortunate.

pexi 2017-06-29 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veraendert (Post 1529820)
Available software first. No Whatsapp- no sale. Which is unfortunate.

iPhone had no whatsapp when it started. It was driver by the sexuality which attracted users and users attracted applications.

Nobody cares about whatsapp if the phone is crap because nobody wants to be second class user. On the other hand if the phone is something people desire it gets more users which creates more pressure to create applications.

chenliangchen 2017-06-29 10:31

- The product that looks fashion and sounds hi-tech, like "retina" or whatsoever;

- Product that is ultra thin and needs external battery to use daily;

- The product can have availability of 100million junk apps and in-app-purchase games;

- Product that takes edited, smoothern skin selfie and colour saturated rear camera

- Product that is easier to understand by some stubborn minds, for example, a home button that can go back to home. And also make sure that all the apps user opened previously looks like running in the background

What a great product!!

juiceme 2017-06-29 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by pexi (Post 1529821)
iPhone had no whatsapp when it started. It was driver by the sexuality which attracted users and users attracted applications.

Nobody cares about whatsapp if the phone is crap because nobody wants to be second class user. On the other hand if the phone is something people desire it gets more users which creates more pressure to create applications.

When iphone started there was no whatsit :p

You cannot really compare the situation 12 years ago to what happens today; back then the current killer apps did not exist.

juiceme 2017-06-29 11:24

You all seem to forget the most important desirability factor, which is the brand.

Why is it so that my son wants specifically Air Jordan shoes and not the arguably same quality generic label foorwear from supermarket?

Why is it that my wife is (not so) patientently waiting for the HMD Nokia 9 launch before purchasing a new phone even as her current device is flaking off the seams... :)

gerbick 2017-06-29 11:42

Mediocrity.

pichlo 2017-06-29 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1529828)
You all seem to forget the most important desirability factor, which is the brand.

That is true, but brands come and go. I remember very well the time when Samsung was a fridge company.

mscion 2017-06-29 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1529830)
That is true, but brands come and go. I remember very well the time when Samsung was a fridge company.

Good point! I remember when Nokia was a phone giant! Wonder what went wrong?

hardy_magnus 2017-06-29 12:14

What makes phone a success?
shi*ty os- (crapdr*id) and more than enough ram (6gb or 8gb) :D:D