maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chrome OS Will Run Linux Apps (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100317)

wicket 2018-05-10 17:54

Re: Chrome OS Will Run Linux Apps

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1544150)
I mean that we should run either native apps or change the OS.

The thing is, what makes an app native? The kernel running on all of these devices is Linux. It's just different layers in userspace that define whether these apps are native or not. If Google decide they are going to design and build a userspace layer for Chrome OS that is capable of running web apps, Android apps, Qt apps and GTK apps, what's to say that none of those apps aren't running natively or can't work perfectly?

Likewise if Jolla wants an Android layer to be part of Sailfish, what's to say it's not native? There's certainly no software emulation at play here. The quality of that layer compared to your usual Android devices is not related to whether it's native or not. Jolla has limited resources. It just another software problem that's in the process of being solved.

tortoisedoc 2018-05-10 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1544150)
I mean that we should run either native apps or change the OS.

Did you notice the growth of the mobile market has actually declined / stalled in the last quarter for like, the first time ever?

Clutter clutter clutter clutter.

It *doesnt* matter, wake up! Jolla has been able to run android apps (theoretically) since day one. Blackberry did the same. Did it help them? No. This is the typical BS you feed to coprophagic fanboys, for marketing purpouses.

kinggo 2018-05-10 18:50

I am awake. Very much. But I still fail to se the point in "hey, let's make a new OS that nobody gives a #&/($ about because there will be no apps that people use. And then we will make it to run apps for an already existing OS".
I get why people use AD on sailfish but since there's 735678 linux distros why choose chrome OS if you need linux apps????

tortoisedoc 2018-05-10 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1544162)
I am awake. Very much. But I still fail to se the point in "hey, let's make a new OS that nobody gives a #&/($ about because there will be no apps that people use. And then we will make it to run apps for an already existing OS".
I get why people use AD on sailfish but since there's 735678 linux distros why choose chrome OS if you need linux apps????

Ecosystem.

This is the variable Nokia, BlackBerry, and (to a certain extent) Jolla seem not to get fully, it seems to me.

But the secret is there. And that's where Android excells, and that's what keeps it afloat even in front of ecosystem dark master apple.

The next one who will grasp this secret, as in manage to whield it as a weapon, will win over mobile.

pichlo 2018-05-11 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1544162)
I still fail to se the point in "hey, let's make a new OS that nobody gives a #&/($ about because there will be no apps that people use. And then we will make it to run apps for an already existing OS".

Oh, but there is a point. Very much. Not for the users, you understand. For the new OS producer. You see, people could just use the already existing OS if they need the apps written for it so much. But then the new OS producer will not get a penny from them. He needs to lure them somehow.

endsormeans 2018-05-11 05:41

Exactly....
Next step up from click-bait
:D

tortoisedoc 2018-05-11 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1544176)
Oh, but there is a point. Very much. Not for the users, you understand. For the new OS producer. You see, people could just use the already existing OS if they need the apps written for it so much. But then the new OS producer will not get a penny from them. He needs to lure them somehow.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/enTimXqzmVXR6/giphy.gif

ECOSYSTEM - ECOSYSTEM - ECOSYSTEM

endsormeans 2018-05-11 08:58

There is just far far far too much sweat coming outta him...
I think it is the guy "inside" the Elop body suit... that is sweating...

I think he should have been playing opposite Steve Carrel in "the Office" ..instead of the job of bringing good devices to the brink of the abyss.

juiceme 2018-05-11 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1544195)
There is just far far far too much sweat coming outta him...
I think it is the guy "inside" the Elop body suit... that is sweating...

I think he should have been playing opposite Steve Carrel in "the Office" ..instead of the job of bringing good devices to the brink of the abyss.

You've got your stevies all mixed up; 's not Elop, that's da Ballmer character.

endsormeans 2018-05-11 09:31

oooop!

you are right!
My bad...