maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle? Which of the existing need to be optified? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92819)

marmistrz 2014-03-03 17:21

[Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle? Which of the existing need to be optified?

TL;DR - The list is on the bottom. We're talking only about apps for N900 (Maemo Fremantle). This thread is neither about Sailfish nor Harmattan

It's loosely connected to what we were discussing in the Maemo Reloaded thread.

We don't need just ten more WhatsApp apps. But there are certainly apps which we miss. This list should be an aid for potential developers. Please add apps you miss on Fremantle. If you would be willing to donate something once the app is ready, you can say it too, it'll be added to list too.

You can ask for an improvement in an existing app, since there's no use in reinventing the wheel. But not only this. You can report applications that were of good quality but that no longer work (due to API changes, etc), because of being abandoned by their developers; applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support or
promising applications that were left unfinished. // Thanks for klinlerware for suggestion!

Don't ask for an official TheFreeDictionary/Quizlet/chess.com/whatever app. It's better to focus on general-usage apps and ask the service developers to create a sensible mobile page.

Last but not least, if you're a developer, you can report which library you're missing for creating some app. Or you can say that you want to contribute something from the list. Or even ask whether there would be donors for the app you're about to create.

Please don't ask for MeeCoLay libraries nor Apkenv modules ;)

Update 23 Mar 2014: Please add non-optified packages here too.

The List

https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wBl6lIaQC2

Simply add your points here. Use it for the application list only, discuss here.

michaaa62 2014-03-03 17:49

Re: [Feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle

Are there any projects to replace the browser with a webkit clone? Since some of those linux desktop browsers move to webkit, am i totally wrong, but to me it seems their mobile counterparts would be also based on webkit???

marmistrz 2014-03-03 18:17

Re: [Feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaaa62 (Post 1415273)
Are there any projects to replace the browser with a webkit clone? Since some of those linux desktop browsers move to webkit, am i totally wrong, but to me it seems their mobile counterparts would be also based on webkit???

I didn't notice any sensible browser replacement apart from mine and Android_808's approach. The best way out would be to let the user choose - WebKit or Mozilla (Gecko). But QtWebKit won't be developed anymore, and new Qt WebEngine is not there yet. [1]

[1] http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/0...-qt-webengine/

seanmcken 2014-03-04 02:30

Re: [Everyone's feedback required] Which applications do we need on Fremantle

noob here
are alsa and pulseaudio updated?
need updated kernel and its supports
whatever the qt or watever that launched application, it takes time to load and eats much CPU so i dont know what reason would be.
apps like power saver, well these r just scripts but are well mentained and clean we need as deb package.
and important thing why its taking much time to develope anything for fremantle, well its everyone is doing on their own, why not make a group and work on single and then after another? so whatever'll happen it'll happen perfectly, and i trust you developers. may god bless you.

TomJ 2014-03-04 11:28

1. Office software. The ability to view, edit and save word processor and spreadsheet files is incredibly patchy.

2, Finance manager. I have never seen anything as good as the Psion 5 program abp on any other mobile device. Would a GNUCash or KMyMoney port be too painful?

klinglerware 2014-03-04 15:17

I think this is a great idea. I think that we should also note applications that fall under the following categories:

1. Fremantle applications that were of good quality but no longer work (due to API changes, etc), as original developers moved on to other platforms
2. Fremantle applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support
3. Promising Fremantle applications that were left unfinished

I am most interested in 1 & 2, as there are a lot of good applications already out there that simply need a developer to maintain it. This seems to be a potential usability limiter moving forward, especially in the context of maemo potentially getting a new lease on life via the neo900 and other projects.

I am certainly willing to donate to the cause of keeping/reviving maintainer support for the projects I use and don't want to die.

zlatokosi 2014-03-04 16:21

ProfileMatic equivalent...

marmistrz 2014-03-04 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by klinglerware (Post 1415406)
I think this is a great idea. I think that we should also note applications that fall under the following categories:

1. Fremantle applications that were of good quality but no longer work (due to API changes, etc), as original developers moved on to other platforms
2. Fremantle applications that currently work, but are in danger of suddenly not working because there is no current developer support

I am most interested in 1 & 2, as there are a lot of good applications already out there that simply need a developer to maintain it. This seems to be a potential usability limiter moving forward, especially in the context of maemo potentially getting a new lease on life via the neo900 and other projects.

I am certainly willing to donate to the cause of keeping/reviving maintainer support for the projects I use and don't want to die.

Yes, it's a great idea! FreOffice is such an application (3), so I added it to the point "office tools"

And it could be a place for developers to ask who'd donate.

@seanmcken: Are you a developer willing to utilize kernel update? Otherwise, don't report it, as it's not what we're talking about.
You mean the power saving mode as on Harmattan?

xaccrocheur 2014-03-04 17:37

What I would like to see running on Fremantle is Fillmore, a multi-track audio recorder that was really promising.

TomJ 2014-03-04 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by klinglerware (Post 1415406)

I think the intersection of 1 & 3 is the Twitter app space. Is there a finished product for the current twitter APIs?