maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hi (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=71807)

arora.rohan 2011-04-04 19:43

Hi

So recently my N900's digitizer isnt responding..
Now the think is i want to back up some data...before i give it to the Nokia Care Center.. but as soon as i connect it to my pc.. the USB menu comes up...

now i know there is this command :
sh /usr/sbin/usb-mass-storage-enable.sh rihgT? or something like that...

but the problem is..how do i type it.. the popup menu of USB selection..stays above the xterm :( !

mrsellout 2011-04-04 19:49

Re: Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by arora.rohan (Post 981889)
So recently my N900's digitizer isnt responding..
Now the think is i want to back up some data...before i give it to the Nokia Care Center.. but as soon as i connect it to my pc.. the USB menu comes up...

now i know there is this command :
sh /usr/sbin/usb-mass-storage-enable.sh rihgT? or something like that...

but the problem is..how do i type it.. the popup menu of USB selection..stays above the xterm :( !

How about connecting over WIFI using ssh on xterm?

JonWW 2011-04-04 19:52

If you have OpenSSH installed on the phone, you could use PuTTY from you Windows PC and open a terminal window on you PC that runs on the phone and do it that way.
It runs through Wifi.
Then again use WinSCP and you can have access to the entire divice, again from a Windows PC

scoobydoo 2011-04-04 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsellout (Post 981891)
How about connecting over WIFI using ssh on xterm?

another option is tinysmb which you can read about on here its a little slow but works well worth a try also ebay sell external batteries and charger i got both for about 7 pound and i have no need for usb to work now p.s my port is broken and intermitent so should help here

ivyking 2011-04-04 19:54

do you have ssh server installed ? that can make things a lot easier if you do .
you can use a program like filezilla to get your files , or run commands on your n900 without having to type on x-terminal .

if you don't have ssh server , use wget to download the file , then use dpkg -i to install .

or

install backup menu if you don't have it , then reboot and open it , then press "w" , all your partitions (excluding rootfs) will be available as mass storage devices immediately .

if you don't have backup menu installed , use wget to get it from the repository then dpkg -i to install it .(you also need to get its dependencies and install one by one)

if you happen to be lucky enough and you have previously set your n900 to automatically connect to wifi ,then connecting to the internet to download the programs mentioned above should be quite easy , if you didn't do that please say that here , so people can help you connect to the internet .

arora.rohan 2011-04-04 20:10

Yes i think i have SSH installed.
but now how do i connect to the internet!
any xterm command to connect to the wifi??

MyNokiaN900 2011-04-04 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by arora.rohan (Post 981907)

here is how to connect PC to N900 via WIFI and then you will be able to use WinSCP or PUTTY on your PC.... it really does work well. I hardly ever use X-Term these days. I do everything from Putty.

the link

renowong 2011-04-04 20:28

Check this post, it might help you out to turn on your wifi

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46521

I think you're only interested into the last part of the command which is :

Code:

modprobe wl12xx
wl1251-cal
stop wlancond
start wlancond
ifconfig wlan0 up
run-standalone.sh dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.icd_ui /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.show_conn_dlg boolean:false

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Once your wifi is up, with a little chance, it will connect to your last network, else you need to configure it to connect to a particular network.

JonWW 2011-04-04 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by arora.rohan (Post 981907)

From the Wiki
Code:

dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0
Never tried it as I have the phone automatically connect to my Wifi.

EDIT:
Just tried it, and it connected immediately

arora.rohan 2011-04-04 20:53

The thing is..

If i use renowong method..i get the list for selecting the wifi network..now how do i select my wifi connection...

and if i use JonWW's method : How do i enter square Brackets with keyboard only :D