maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Xperia X died after browser crash. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100687)

stickymick 2019-03-03 06:45

Xperia X died after browser crash.

While browsing the web this morning (using default SF browser) my Xperia X (3.0.1.11) locked up.
The screen was completely unresponsive, so I powered down hoping a restart would fix the issue. Now the phone won't shut down completely and I'm left with a steady red LED and the "Goodbye" shutdown screen.
The phone is detected by Windows 10 when plugged in via USB and the Xperia icon appears in Devices and Printers, but I'm unable to browse files. The phone also plays the charging sound when a charger is plugged in and if I hold the power button the phone vibrates once.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

peterleinchen 2019-03-03 08:26

Re: Xperia X died after browser crash.

Not really an expert with Sony devices but I came across this sony support site once
https://support.sonymobile.com/globa...-on-my-device/
which may also show up within a web search
https://www.startpage.com/do/search?...&pl=ff&cat=web

Did yoi search/ask on TJC, too?

stickymick 2019-03-03 09:21

Well bugger me!!
I did try the forced shutdown a couple times, but it wouldn't have any of it.
Went back to it after seeing your reply and tried again but it worked this time.
Thanks for the reply.

robthebold 2019-03-03 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1554738)
Well bugger me!!
I did try the forced shutdown a couple times, but it wouldn't have any of it.
Went back to it after seeing your reply and tried again but it worked this time.
Thanks for the reply.

This happens to me sometimes, gotta really force a shutdown. NB: If you know what website you were using, don't go there again, you may get a repeat of the same or at least crash browser hard enough that phone reboot is easiest way to fix it. I've actually blacklisted a few in /etc/hosts so I don't forget my lesson and try the bad site again. I know "killall -9 sailfish-browser" should work, but there are cases where it doesn't.

I would really like to see and update of the web browser or a viable, more up-to-date alternative.

endsormeans 2019-03-03 16:14

Problem number 1 is buying any device that always shuts down with "Goodbye"
There is a great deal of finality to that one word that makes me uneasy when put in relation to mobile devices.

mosen 2019-03-03 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1554752)
Problem number 1 is buying any device that always shuts down with "Goodbye"
There is a great deal of finality to that one word that makes me uneasy when put in relation to mobile devices.

That is a shortcoming in the english language.
In german we (and the Jolla devices) say "Auf Wiedersehen" which is nicely formal and perfectly translates to "See you later".

But i guess the Alligator rhyme made it informal forever in english?
If not, propose the translation officially sir.

@stickymick, you are not alone. I also had that on Xperia X and nearly gave up.

endsormeans 2019-03-04 05:59

see you later ...is much better...
at least it would add a wryness to a good bricking
:D

catbus 2019-03-04 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1554772)
see you later ...is much better...
at least it would add a wryness to a good bricking
:D

Yes.

"Seeya" is much better than "Your Precious is now bricked - hahaha... - Goodbye!"

DrYak 2019-03-05 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1554734)
The phone is detected by Windows 10 when plugged in via USB and the Xperia icon appears in Devices and Printers, but I'm unable to browse files. The phone also plays the charging sound when a charger is plugged in and if I hold the power button the phone vibrates once.

To force rebooting the phone:
  • unplug the phone (= this is important because on Xepria, the button presses have completely different meaning when the USB cable is plugged in. Remember back when you flashed it ?)
  • Hold the power button and the volume up button
  • Wait until the phone vibrates (a few seconds, on my X it's about 2-3 sec, on some other Xperia models it might be longer like 8-10 sec)
  • Now you can release the buttons
  • The boot loader should display the usual "Warning: the phone has been unlocked", and the kernel should display the usual "Sony" logo while booting.
  • Now you can plug the phone back in

If that doesn't work, you should try booting into recovery mode:
Then from the recovery mode, you can telnet into the smartphone, try to copy any precious data onto the sd-card, and attempt to repair any corrupted/damaged filesystem.
Or straight recover/reflash the phone (hint: you have clean new partition stored in /fimage that you can use to rewrite the corrupted one).

-----

And here's an extra link to yet another TJC answer on the subject of recovering phones.

stickymick 2019-03-06 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1554748)
If you know what website you were using, don't go there again, you may get a repeat of the same or at least crash browser hard enough that phone reboot is easiest way to fix it. I've actually blacklisted a few in /etc/hosts so I don't forget my lesson and try the bad site again.

If I remember rightly it was Softonic or one of the cnet sites. Had issues with them before on PC, where they use their own custom wrappers to bundle other useless junk with the original download and you don't get a say in the installation of the junk.