maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   [Tutorial] OpenVPN on N9 MeeGo Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89703)

khan.orak 2013-04-05 10:29

[Tutorial] OpenVPN on N9 MeeGo Harmattan

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE:- I won't be supporting this any longer. Now you can install OpenVPN with one-click via N9QTweak. Hit thanks for Schturman

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

So after hours of searching and reading on the web, I finally figured out how to run OpenVPN service on N9 with the service being free. I know many people would have OpenVPN running successfully, I just want to help beginners like me.

Here in my country, YouTube is blocked so I needed a VPN to access it. I must admit I was having a hard time configuring this thing as there was no straightforward tutorial to set it up. Plus there is no GUI but it is better than nothing.

But in this tutorial, buttons are created to start/stop OpenVPN which makes it a lot easier.

I tried VPN9C, IPsec based, which has a GUI, but I could not find any free service provider.

Now I want to put it up on this forum so that anybody wanting to use OpenVPN could do it easily and in one go.

Warning! I claim no responsibility for whatever happens to your phone because of this guide. Though it should work fine in most cases.

Warning 2! : Don't let your phone battery run out of power completely to the point where it shuts down and doesn't restart. In that case, refhashlist containing SHAsums of files get corrupted. Result You get rebootloops which can be fixed. BUT you won't be able to use DNS FLUSH part. So charge your phone before it shuts down itself, use automatic powersaving.

NOTE:- I am claiming NO credit for this tutorial as I have just gathered the available info and simplified it.

Credits: 12VPN Tutorial for Harmattan ; MeeGo Forums Thread ; VPNBook for Free VPN Service

I have attached a zip file containing all the files necessary for the operation, you can find it at the bottom of this post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.First, download the zip file I have attached (sorry for the messy icons), extract the files and Put them in a Folder by the name myvpn for your ease. Then Copy this folder to your N9 MyDocs folder.

2.Then, we add Elleo's Repo to the N9:

Code:

devel-su
Password: rootme
~ # echo 'deb http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/elleo/Harmattan/ ./'  > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elleo.list
~ # apt-get update
~ # apt-get install openvpn

If you get errors at apt-get update, try this to fix missing dependencies:
Code:

~ # apt-get update --fix-missing

3. Then Install Jare's version of OpenVPN.

As root:
Code:

~ # wget http://www.jlranta.com/stuff/openvpn_2.1.3-3harmattan1_armel_aegis.deb
~ # dpkg -i openvpn_2.1.3-3harmattan1_armel_aegis.deb

4. Installing VPNbook free OpenVPN Profile:

Open terminal as root, and type the following:
Code:

~ # cd /home/user/MyDocs/myvpn
~ # cp -R vpn.conf log.txt /etc/openvpn/

5. Creating the start/stop icons for OpenVPN start/stop operation on Application Homescreen:

As root:
Code:

~ # cp flushdns.png start.png stop.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/

~ # cp openvpn-start.desktop openvpn-stop.desktop flush-dns.desktop /usr/share/applications/

6. Setting up Flush DNS part:

As root:
Code:

~ # cp -R dnsmasq.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/

~ # cp 12vpn.sh /etc/openvpn/

~ # chmod +x /etc/openvpn/12vpn.sh

The dnsmasq.conf file I've provided is copied and written over the existing file saving you the effor to edit the file manually.

7. Finally, all is set for the OpenVPN to operate, the desktop icons should appear by this time on the Applications Homescreen, Put them into a separate vpn folder for ease.

Tap the VPN ON Icon to start OpenVPN, give it a few seconds before it could connect to the VPNBook Server. Try YouTube after that. It should work. To stop OpenVPN, tap the STOP VPN icon.

8. Flush DNS:

It is used to counter the problem of DNS Poisoning, especially in China. Details are given at 12VPN.com tutorial. To use this, tap the FLUSH DNS icon before and after Using OpenVPN.

Hope it works for most of the people and save them the effort of starting stopping VPN from terminal especially beginners like me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:- VPNBOOK updated their server credentials. The attachments here are updated too. Should work now.

Update 08/05/2013 Credentials Updated along with some changes in the tutorial.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALTERNATIVE--> Okay so if anyone wants to try an alternative namely ShadowSocks by chiappa, one can try it at this site

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO REMOVE OPENVPN COMPLETELY
Thanks to Schturman

As ROOT:

Code:

devel-su user -c "/etc/init.d/openvpn stop"
Code:

sed -i "/<policy user=\"user\">/,/policy context=\"default\">/c\\
        <policy context=\"default\"> " /etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf

Code:

cd /usr/share/applications && rm -f flushdns* openvpn*
Code:

cd /etc/openvpn && rm -f vpn.conf log.txt 12vpn.sh
Code:

cd /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps && rm -f flushdns.png start.png stop.png
Code:

apt-get remove --purge -y openvpn openvpn-blacklist openssl-blacklist openssl libpkcs11-helper1
Code:

rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elleo.list && apt-get clean && apt-get update

baem90 2013-04-05 17:12

Re: [Tutorial] OpenVPN on N9 MeeGo Harmattan

any video for this, btw, thank you :) hope somebody can compile it into .deb

khan.orak 2013-04-05 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by baem90 (Post 1334316)
any video for this, btw, thank you :) hope somebody can compile it into .deb

There is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUh5MS3Pbo

But this covers the installation of OpenVPN only. No profiles or anything.

By the way, instructions are easy, ain't they? :D

chiappa 2013-05-02 13:56

Wow, thanks for this. Way back I was looking for such a guide but have since found shadowsocks easier to use, better for mobile use and more resistant to the great firewall of China. I also put up a small step-by-step guide over here.

What I did was make an icon with the American flag and tapping on it will turn the proxy on and turn the icon into a hammer and sickle, which if clicked will turn the proxy off :)

khan.orak 2013-05-02 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiappa (Post 1340668)
Wow, thanks for this. Way back I was looking for such a guide but have since found shadowsocks easier to use, better for mobile use and more resistant to the great firewall of China. I also put up a small step-by-step guide over here.

What I did was make an icon with the American flag and tapping on it will turn the proxy on and turn the icon into a hammer and sickle, which if clicked will turn the proxy off :)

hey nice work with ShadowSocks. I will update the first post and put the link to your guide in case anyone wants an alternative.

the Icons are really creative :D

chiappa 2013-05-03 15:50

Thanks! I'll try out your guide as well.. So what would be the Pakistani equivalent of a hammer and sickle? :)

khan.orak 2013-05-03 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiappa (Post 1340944)
Thanks! I'll try out your guide as well.. So what would be the Pakistani equivalent of a hammer and sickle? :)

The equivalent? - Crescent and Star :)

mikal2100 2013-05-15 05:23

Its Not WorkIng For Me...
Tell me how to remove all the icons...

khan.orak 2013-05-15 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal2100 (Post 1343709)
Its Not WorkIng For Me...
Tell me how to remove all the icons...

Code:

devel-su
Password: rootme

cd /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps

rm -f start.png stop.png flushdns.png

Addoozz 2013-05-17 13:15

I need vpn for USA. There are very less apps in ovistore for my country. I've installed openvpn successfully. But i don't know how to create a usa .config file or how to configure. Can someone please help

khan.orak 2013-05-17 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addoozz (Post 1344322)
I need vpn for USA. There are very less apps in ovistore for my country. I've installed openvpn successfully. But i don't know how to create a usa .config file or how to configure. Can someone please help

in the provided .zip file, open vpn.conf with NOTEPAD++ . You can create yours as such.

Edit: for certificate making, which is necessary to run vpn, you have to google it. Most probably you'll find it on ubuntuforums as i don't know how to create a certificate.

Here I am assuming you want to create your own VPN network.

topet2k12001 2013-07-03 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan.orak (Post 1334321)
There is a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frUh5MS3Pbo

But this covers the installation of OpenVPN only. No profiles or anything.

By the way, instructions are easy, ain't they? :D

Thanks for referencing my video. I basically documented my attempts following the instructions at 12vpn. :)

I did not include in my video some steps to adding actual VPN profiles due to the sheer diversity of VPN service providers, but in general they follow the same concept.

I also have some YouTube video tutorials of the same for the N900 at my YouTube channel, in case some of you are interested. Although the difference is that on the N900, OpenVPN was already there so it was easier. My video for the N900 included some setup steps of actual VPN services (but I am not sure if it will work for others - I'm from the Philippines by the way).

khan.orak 2013-11-17 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal2100 (Post 1387010)
HeLLo DeVeLoPeR... I inStALLeD ThE OpEnVpN... It waS WorkInG BefOre... BuT I ReFLaShEd mY N9, I InsTaLLed openvpn via n9QT... BuT ItS NoT WoRkInG nOw... AnY HeLp WhY...???

I have just replied there.

mikal2100 2013-11-20 22:07

Khan.orak
I aM In pakIsTaN... AnD U MiGhT knOw ThaT YoUTUbe iS bLoCkEd HeRe... I DonT kNow WhAt iS wrOnG... I TrIeD EvEryThInG... Plzzz GiVe Me A FuLL GuIdE iF U CaN BrO... :(

mikal2100 2013-11-21 09:31

ThAnK U KhaN... ItS WoRkInG... :)

juiceme 2013-11-21 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal2100 (Post 1387750)
HeLLo DeVeLoPeR... I inStALLeD ThE OpEnVpN... It waS WorkInG BefOre... BuT I ReFLaShEd mY N9, I InsTaLLed openvpn via n9QT... BuT ItS NoT WoRkInG nOw... AnY HeLp WhY...???

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal2100 (Post 1387750)
I aM In pakIsTaN... AnD U MiGhT knOw ThaT YoUTUbe iS bLoCkEd HeRe... I DonT kNow WhAt iS wrOnG... I TrIeD EvEryThInG... Plzzz GiVe Me A FuLL GuIdE iF U CaN BrO... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikal2100 (Post 1387847)
ThAnK U KhaN... ItS WoRkInG... :)

Can you fix your keyboard?
It is nigh impossible to understand what youre typing, it hurts my eyes...

mikal2100 2013-11-21 14:35

HaHa... JuIcemE... SoRrY FoR HuRtInG Ur EyEs BrO... BuT I LikE ThE waY I TyPe... BuT I wiLL StOp iF It iS ReaLLy HuRtInG Ur EyEs... I CaNt HuRt AnYbOdY... :(

www.rzr.online.fr 2014-11-02 09:35

Hi added my configuration steps on this page for PA :

http://wiki.maemo.org/OpenVPN#N9_HARMATTAN

feel free to improve or comment

Nokia_N9 2015-01-19 23:17

Hmm, unfortunately it seems not possible anymore to setup openvpn on N9.

I guess because elleos repository is not available anymore. N9QTweak tweak CC-3 to install openvpn is also not working. Probably because of the same reason.

All other files mentioned in the first posting in this thread are still available.

Does anyone has an idea where I can get everything that would come with this command?
Code:

apt-get install openvpn

pasko 2015-02-17 17:49

Hi.

You can get the .deb file here:
https://openrepos.net/content/rzr/openvpn
Then install it as root with:
Code:

dpkg -i filename.deb
On the other hand I managed to:

1.- Install openvpn.
Instead of devel-su I used opensh to get root. This way it got rid of all the messages like 'permission denied'.

2.- Register telepathy SIP client through the VPN client.
Just for future reference I had to hack it with this command:
Code:

mc-tool update sofiasip/sip/_313_40172_2e26_2e0_2e20 string:local-ip-address='172.26.0.8'
Where 172.26.0.8 is the address recognized by the SIP server. It seems the SIP client address is always bind to the GPRS address of the gprs0 interface. More info here

Regards.

Nokia_N9 2015-02-24 20:54

Thank you for the Link to OpenRepos. But the .deb file (not exactly the same but a very very similar one) I've already downloaded from here like described in post #1 step 3.

I thought with "apt-get install openvpn" (post #1 step 2) you install other stuff that is necessary for the .deb file to work.

I like to try only the .deb file without the apt-get command before. Maybe you are right and the apt-get command is not necessary. But I guess I need opensh for a successful installation of the .deb file and I can not find it. I've found in an article that I also need inception? All links to these tools do not work anymore...only dead-ends everywhere I look.

Maybe someone has another hint for me where I can get opensh?

nieldk 2015-02-24 21:37

Inception + opensh is in this zipfile

http://www.robertocolistete.net/Maem.../inception.zip

Anatolian 2015-07-14 09:07

Hello, ı have problem to build openvpn on my n9 ı have been.tried all the ways but couldnt install it some body can help me ? please ! I can.upload here terminal
screenshots.

Anatolian 2015-07-14 13:27

1 Attachment(s)
This is the fault when ı trying to install openvpn what can ı do to solve problem ?

pasko 2015-07-14 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anatolian (Post 1476603)
This is the fault when ı trying to install openvpn what can ı do to solve problem ?

Hi.
Seems to me that the file Openvpn.zip can not be downloaded. Maybe Schturman can help here.... or you can try the version archived in Openrepos.
Regards.

aspergerguy 2015-07-14 14:37

Bit out of my depth here but does this resource add anything: https://roopeshsivam.wordpress.com/2...-n9-harmattan/

Anatolian 2015-07-14 18:30

Still cant install there is a mistake ı have been doing somewhere but couldnt find.
openvpn.zip file is located in mydocs but qtweak says this file is not exist !!

tcbl50 2016-07-22 08:49

This still works by the way. Had to use the openvpn deb from openrepos.com. I was able to get private internet access (PIA) vpn working. I downloaded the configuration file from PIA but it came as ovpn. I struggled to write the .conf file for private internet access vpn not realising all I had to do was change the file type of the ovpn to .conf!

So that's for anyone trying to figure this out. That's why I love Linux. So rewarding when u get things working

TheFriendlyFiend 2017-06-11 22:22

Hi guys,

I installed OpenVPN also with the help of N9QuickTweaks (option CC). So far, not that difficult. You install it, and then you can change the server type and check for new version. BUT, it installs a vpn.conf file with VPN from VPNbook.

Fine ofcourse, but I want my own VPN working (I have an openvpn server at home or else from NordVPN).

As tcbl50 above says, you have to change te file typ from ovpn to .conf. Not that hard I quess, but when I try to copy that file to /etc/openvpn it says that I cannot copy a file there, I don't have the rights, "permission denied". But I'm using WinSCP with SDK (you have to be root). I also tried with Filebox as root, but same message.

Can you help me with this? How can I get that file in the right directory??

Thanks guys!

aspergerguy 2017-06-12 07:07

Although I use Cyberduck upon Mac (show hidden files), seem to remember that any change would need to be made with file in home/user/MyDocs and then copied to destination.

nieldk 2017-06-12 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFriendlyFiend (Post 1529089)
when I try to copy that file to /etc/openvpn it says that I cannot copy a file there, I don't have the rights, "permission denied"

roor i sufficient to write to /etc/openvpn/

But, did you try to copy to
/etc/openvpn

or
/etc/openvpn/

First one is a folder, and could result in such an error.

TheFriendlyFiend 2017-08-11 21:31

Hey guys,

I managed to get in done (permission denied- stuff) by downloading the 'rooted' filebox on openrepos. So far so good.

But I managed to screw things up. I de-installed openvpn trought quicktweaks with the thougt to install it again. But I can't install it with N9quicktweaks anymore....

It says: cp: can't stat 'openvpn.zip': No such file or directory

In may this year everyting worked fine. Is it because of N9Quicktweaks?

The openvpn.zip is still availabe in Post 1 of this topic, but what do I do with it?

Can anyone confirm is isn't working anymore?

Edit: I have the same problem as Anatolian had in 2015...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anatolian (Post 1476603)

Makes it more stranger... Anyone?