maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Competitors (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   GPD Pocket (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98688)

railroadmaster 2017-01-08 00:18

GPD Pocket

http://liliputing.com/2017/01/gpd-po...u-support.html

It looks like GPD has its own answer to the Graalphone. The GPD pocket has a physical keyboard and 7" screen. The GPD pocket is still in development and not a final product. I personally want slightly deeper pitch keys and the trackpoint moved.

gerbick 2017-01-08 00:50

Re: GPD Pocket

I have huge hands - this would not be comfortable to type on at all.

Feathers McGraw 2017-01-08 01:54

Looks nice, and decent enough specs to be actually useful.

7" is a bit too big to put in a pocket though, and if you're going to put it in a bag you can probably fit a "proper" laptop in there...

railroadmaster 2017-01-08 01:59

7" definitely can fit in a pocket I have regularly carried 4:3 7.85" and 16:10 8.0" tablets in a pocket as well as vanilla 7" tablets in a pocket. It more depends on the type of pocket.

gerbick 2017-01-08 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1521586)
7" definitely can fit in a pocket I have regularly carried 4:3 7.85" and 16:10 8.0" tablets in a pocket as well as vanilla 7" tablets in a pocket. It more depends on the type of pocket.

Definitely not any blazer pocket I have. It does fit some chinos and jeans back pockets; but I won't be able to sit down comfortably.

I'm still stuck with the full-keyboard size attempt. Pyra's keyboard is small, but it's to be held and used with your thumbs mostly. Same for the N900 - I loved the N810's keyboard.

This is just looks like an uncomfortable size for a keyboard. But I don't mind being wrong.

railroadmaster 2017-01-08 02:14

I think the keyboard is for thumb typing, at least that is what I'd use for it.

gerbick 2017-01-08 03:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1521588)
I think the keyboard is for thumb typing, at least that is what I'd use for it.

https://i0.wp.com/liliputing.com/wp-...-pocket_03.jpg

Um... did you not see that pic with the guy with his hands on the keyboard? It may be how you may use it, but it's not how it's intended to be used.

It looks like it could accommodate two medium or small sized hands somewhat.

With that said, we'll find out when/if it arrives. I hope GPD fixes their QA issues (many complaints can be found out there with a very simple search).

taixzo 2017-01-08 04:13

I wonder...it's an Intel Atom processor. What's the feasibility of a SFOS port? Jolla Tablet is intel, right>

t-b 2017-01-08 07:39

I love these 7" netbooks. I still have 2 eeepc's (700). They were very well built and I still use them with puppy Linux.
Small keyboard, but these netbooks are not used for long typing sessions anyway.
I am wondering how the capacitive touch screen will work instead of using a mouse. Resistive seems to be more suited for desktop use, but maybe it works with unity and plugins for the browser.

I will definitely not pre-order, but once launched and it has a fully working Linux install and depending on the price I might buy one.
If it will be available with docking station I am even more interested...

TheKit 2017-01-08 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1521590)
I wonder...it's an Intel Atom processor. What's the feasibility of a SFOS port? Jolla Tablet is intel, right>

It surely can be ported, but not sure if it's useful on a small laptop. What makes me wonder that some articles advertise Ubuntu 16.04 support besides Cherry Trail. If that's true, would be interesting to see how they fix Cherry Trail issues in mainline kernel.

Feathers McGraw 2017-01-08 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1521586)

Are you wearing cargo trousers or something? I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and I doubt I could fit that in any of my pockets, including large coat pockets. And it's thin, this will undoubtedly be thicker too.

pichlo 2017-01-08 12:00

I could fit my daughter's 8" tablet including the protective case in my jacket pocket. It surprised me, it did not seem a particularly large pocket. I suggest you try it instead of merely assuming.

Feathers McGraw 2017-01-08 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1521604)
I suggest you try it instead of merely assuming.

Who's assuming now? I have tried it! :p

velox 2017-03-06 08:29

Quote:

And as the reward of $2M goal. We will upgrade the original 5V 2.5A changer to the PD 2.0 Quick change protocol.It's power will be 25W-30W. So you may only need one hour or a little more can full changed the battery.
While not as nice as maxing out on the RAM capability of the Atom CPU, that would be a nice addition. They are at $1,964,533 right now, so $2M isn't too far fetched.
982% of the campain target right now – hopefully, this won't have too many negative consequences. No one scales perfectly.

lancewex 2017-03-06 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1521589)
https://i0.wp.com/liliputing.com/wp-...-pocket_03.jpg

Um... did you not see that pic with the guy with his hands on the keyboard?

Not that it probably matters, but I don't think those are a guy's hands.

I'd like to know why some pictures the keyboard looks grey, and others black. I'd prefer the lighter color, but looks like there's no choice offered.

velox 2017-03-06 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1524916)
I'd like to know why some pictures the keyboard looks grey, and others black. I'd prefer the lighter color, but looks like there's no choice offered.

My guess is that the pictures that are not rendered are all non-working dummy devices with the screen content shopped in (the mac has some mirroring going on in the glas, the gpd does not).
If you look closely, you'll see that the grey ones aren't even labeled at all. Also, they announced updated keyboard layouts in a later update, so they likely just 3d printed some dummy caps and had only grey filament lying around. :)
They are showing the first(?) 'real-ish' prototype in the latest update and it's screen seems to be held together by adhesive tape on one of the pictures.

Edit: I've persuaded the server to give me a slightly bigger version of the prototype pictures.

gerbick 2017-03-06 17:26

Quote:

Good catch.

I'd love to know just how big/small are some of you guys hands truly are because this want for a smaller device and/or something that seemingly doesn't fit into your pockets seems to be... well, odd.

Most men's pockets are somewhat standard and I used to carry my Nexus 7 in my back pockets without issue. Weirded me out the first time I did it - just sorta didn't think about it and in it went.

NX500 2017-03-06 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1524932)
Weirded me out the first time I did it - just sorta didn't think about it and in it went.

Buttstuff, eh?:D

gerbick 2017-03-06 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by NX500 (Post 1524937)
Buttstuff, eh?:D

I'll have to admit... I totally lol'd in the office. Now... how to explain this one without being a HR violation.

theonelaw 2017-03-07 02:10

Quote:

My wife's fingernail polish is almost that color.

epninety 2017-03-07 10:30

Now funded 1000% $2M and still a month to go :)

velox 2017-03-10 11:08

There was an update, containing images (and a video) of the january prototype.
Here are the high-resolution versions of the pictures, not downscaled by indiegogo:
http://i.imgur.com/wSaPS8l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OKifkSX.jpg

theonelaw 2017-03-11 02:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1525145)
There was an update, containing images (and a video) of the january prototype.
Here are the high-resolution versions of the pictures, not downscaled by indiegogo:
http://i.imgur.com/wSaPS8l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OKifkSX.jpg

Thanks heaps,
that clarifies something critical:

If the devs for this device began
with the primary initiative of making it work under linux,
making it work under windows would be like falling out of bed.

The photo seems to indicate that they are concerned with
making it work under win,
then 'fix' things as necessary
to get a linux version working.

Which,
as some of us have learned (the hard way) over the years,
never works for much more than a few fingers of hardware.

Sadly,
GPD will never be of much use as a linux host.

velox 2017-03-11 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1525185)
Which,
as some of us have learned (the hard way) over the years,
never works for much more than a few fingers of hardware.

Sadly,
GPD will never be of much use as a linux host.

I can't disagree completely, and I don't expect (for example) battery life on linux to match that on windows, as it's often the case. Also, they might completely screw up the touch screen drivers (I don't know about other components needing a driver). On the other hand, GPD stated that the board is basically an updated version of the GPD Win board, which they had experience with for quite a while. Provided they do really care, I really hope they'll be able to cater for more than 4.4 kernels (which is the only thing they confirmed), even if it'd be with a NVIDIA-like wrapper thing around closed blob(s), as they mentioned in a comment:
Quote:

We will try to achieve that.However we can't promise.Because we need to consider the cost and it also relate to the intellectual property....
Let's say I'm just choosing to be a bit more optimistic. I've backed this thing and don't intend to put Windows on there, so staying optimistic the only healthy thing to do.

velox 2017-03-13 17:00

They did an update with a new link.
Since everyone clicked it (and the page isn't exactly optimized for… anything, really), their server went down, so the update was removed.

Now, the server seems to be back: http://www.gpd.hk/pocket.asp
There's pretty much no new info on there, presented with pretty horrible typography in images with lots of text, but I felt like sharing anyway.

Feathers McGraw 2017-03-14 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1525343)
presented with pretty horrible typography in images with lots of text

Wow, you weren't joking! Why on earth would they do that?

The text is pretty awful too, so cringey how they keep talking about "womens' delicate fingers"!

velox 2017-03-14 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1525363)
Wow, you weren't joking! Why on earth would they do that?

Well, I know programmers in web agencies who don't care the least about user interfaces/front end, because it's simply not their job and obviously not their passion. I reckon it doesn't get better with hardware people without years of web experience. They seem to have one designer who isn't experienced with western typo and even less with web design – you can "export to html" with some graphics programs, after all.

On a lighter note: Have we mentioned that they'll throw in a glossy screen protector for every backer? :p

nthn 2017-03-14 13:47

"China" and "legible websites" usually don't go in the same sentence. At least the Chinglish is kept to a minimum!

Edit: "A fashionable woman takes out a 7-inch laptop from her shoulder bag, with a cup of coffee put aside. She is drinking coffee […]" How is she drinking the coffee?!

pichlo 2017-03-14 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1525387)
"China" and "legible websites" usually don't go in the same sentence. At least the Chinglish is kept to a minimum!

I see it as a positive. They are techies and do not waste resources on marketing. Unlike Turing, for example. It may not be a guarantee but it is at least a hint that they may actually deliver.

gerbick 2017-03-14 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1525413)
I see it as a positive. They are techies and do not waste resources on marketing. Unlike Turing, for example. It may not be a guarantee but it is at least a hint that they may actually deliver.

I'd be more reassured if the money that didn't go into marketing goes into quality products and process.

theonelaw 2017-03-15 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1525415)
I'd be more reassured if the money that didn't go into marketing goes into quality products and process.

There do exist some amazing things
that lack any credible marketing effort
Not sure why that happens,
but occasionally there are some really nice products to be found
if the time spent browsing the tech fairs is diligent.

pichlo 2017-03-15 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1525415)

In the absence of the proof to the contrary, I keep an open mind.
Moreover, in case of GPD, there is already a previous quality product in existence proving that they can deliver..

gerbick 2017-03-15 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1525443)
In the absence of the proof to the contrary, I keep an open mind.
Moreover, in case of GPD, there is already a previous quality product in existence proving that they can deliver..

Wait, you took my comment in the absolutely wrong direction. Allow me to clarify and then let's see if you say the same thing - which, you very well may!

With that said, it's not about GPD in regards to their overall fit and finish. It's when people say that a company is a "techy" company and do not invest into proper marketing; I rarely see how that pays off in the long-term in regards to their fit, finish and quality. It doesn't mean that there aren't companies out there that do not produce quality equipment without the majority of their budget being used for marketing; I just find it more fitting whenever a company actually invests into the device more than the marketing.

And unfortunately, "techy" companies tend to not to do so well in that one regard. Counter examples do exist; but my experience with GPD has been minimal yet not entirely favorable.

My reassurance would come from a company that actually ensures that we receive a well designed, thought out product that's not too dependent on the stock and supply of an OEM/ODM that just wants to get a product out of the door as soon and as fast as possible.

velox 2017-03-31 07:28

They've made a video of the current prototype they call "T1".
As far as I can tell, there's no 3D printed placeholders anymore and it looks nice enough. The demonstrated 4k video does look a bit (only a bit) stuttery, but good enough for my taste. Also, they demonstrate opening a 50MB photoshop file, which is the website we had a bit of fun about. Still no linux demonstration included.

I can't wait tasting that chocolate keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49o4yco9cyY

I must say, from a communication standpoint, it's one of the best crowdfunding projects I've seen (even if it's really mostly a pre-ordering kind of deal). Almost every backer comment is answered, and while there's an obvious language barrier, they really seem to try their best at answering.

HtheB 2017-03-31 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1526170)
I must say, from a communication standpoint, it's one of the best crowdfunding projects I've seen (even if it's really mostly a pre-ordering kind of deal). Almost every backer comment is answered, and while there's an obvious language barrier, they really seem to try their best at answering.

That was the same for the GPD Win, but the shipping was horrible gone wrong :rolleyes: people who ordered from other webshops, got their GPD's earlier, then any backer out there...

pichlo 2017-03-31 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1526175)
That was the same for the GPD Win, but the shipping was horrible gone wrong :rolleyes: people who ordered from other webshops, got their GPD's earlier, then any backer out there...

So... like Jolla the First One, isn't it? :p

railroadmaster 2017-04-16 20:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjFiJb6TERw
It lives!

theonelaw 2017-04-17 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by railroadmaster (Post 1526930)

Watching him slide that into his jeans pocket was worth the view.

Try that with your 8inch tablets, haha!

gerbick 2017-04-18 00:25

You know... I actually am excited to see this thing come together nicely. I was quite skeptical, but it looks like a solid piece of kit.

Although... I wouldn't buy the Win10 version. This looks like a serious contender for a "pocket" Linux device first.

velox 2017-04-18 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1526970)
Although... I wouldn't buy the Win10 version. This looks like a serious contender for a "pocket" Linux device first.

I sincerely hope they haven't bit more than they can chew with that one – answering requests for videos showing the ubuntu version before the campain ends (which it has) went from "we hope to be able to" to "soon™" and "well, we'll at least ship them at the same time as the others".
Some people in the comments seem to have discovered upstream support for the intel graphics, at least. But there was no answer exactly which components need new drivers, to begin with.
That said, I'd be okay with manually rotating the screen (xrandr) as people on the GPD Win have done and the accelerometer wouldn't be essential for me, as well. I'd guess most other components will be quite standard and supported anyways.