maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   "Unable to install" (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=2712)

LukeWorm 2006-08-07 17:41

"Unable to install"

I just get "unable to install" whatever I try to install with the Application Manager (2006OS, obviously). Examples: fbreader-maemo2, ntpdate

Am I missing some dependency, or what?

LukeWorm 2006-08-07 17:58

Error message from log

Here is the error message copied from App Manager's log:

Installing fbreader-maemo2 0.7.4g-1
/bin/sh: /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure: not found
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation fault.

Does this help anyone?

aflegg 2006-08-08 09:11

Try reflashing your OS, sounds like something's got corrupted.

If that doesn't fix it it's probably a hardware fault.

tirabosco 2006-08-08 15:13

Got the same after installing a lot of stuff from various repositories the first day I got mine. Reflashed the OS and hasn't appeared again until now.

Bye, tira.

SeRi@lDiE 2006-08-08 16:27

same here after l install a bunch of crap the db got corrupted.... reflash and you shoul be ok....

LukeWorm 2006-08-09 21:05

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice :) I reflashed and restored from backup, and now install works as expected.

However, learned one less nice thing: Backup does not backup the repository/package list from Application Manager. So I had to rebuild all the repositories. This leads to following question: is there a more productive way than copy/paste to enter the repositories with their parameters? A solution needing root access is not acceptable.

SeRi@lDiE 2006-08-10 01:10

You dont need root acces to copy the repository list just use xtem to nv the file system and ue cp
to copy the list.... it should be in a .conf file for apt-get i could be wrong.

aflegg 2006-08-10 07:51

It's /etc/apt/sources.list - it'll require root to write to it, but not to read it.

LukeWorm: why is root access unacceptable? Especially with simple debs like `becomeroot' it's trivial and arguably necessary if you want to take shortcuts like these.

SeRi@lDiE 2006-08-10 14:35

True aflegg to write to it you have to be root but not read or copy it.
Yea why root is not an option?
If you dont want to do R&D mode you can all wais use SSH :)
Is what I use to become root and also scp to it making file transfer a breze :P

LukeWorm 2006-08-10 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by aflegg
It's /etc/apt/sources.list - it'll require root to write to it, but not to read it.

LukeWorm: why is root access unacceptable? Especially with simple debs like `becomeroot' it's trivial and arguably necessary if you want to take shortcuts like these.

Because I'm just a "normal" enduser, and not familiar with Linux internals. Maybe a bit more advanced than "normal" since I'm writing in this forum. Diving into root stuff may be risky, nevertheless.