maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Free Sygic for N900 users? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47757)

jorjino 2010-03-19 09:17

Nokia should give us a free Sygic GPS copy

Hello guys!

I have an idea how Nokia can excuse all N900 users about mislead advertisement that N900 has good and usable OVI maps apps.

As all you know now, over five months from start shipping of the device we still do not have working GPS program! There are some GPS apps in repos, but neither one is usable at this moment.

So, I suggest - Nokia to give us Sygic GPS software for FREE.

Please give me your opinion and should we make a brainstorm about this topic.

Regards.

therock 2010-03-19 09:23

Re: Free Sygic for N900 users?

not for it.. respect for sygic for putting a lot of effort in getting it on the maemo platform so i think they should be paid for the development resources put into it

jorjino 2010-03-19 09:27

@therock,

My idea is Nokia to pay to Sygic and give us GPS Sygic software for free.
I am totally confident that Sygic did hard job, also they had lost from delay of OVI-payed version.

der_stefan 2010-03-19 09:29

If you want turn yourself into a clown, feel free to do so.

By the way - i used ovi maps serveral times as navigation - and it worked. Not as good as sygic, but it worked.

spanner 2010-03-19 09:32

I must admit: I had a lingering hope that the Sygic delay & refusal to release independently of Nokia was the result of a deal to provide N900 with free navigation software.

Obviously that's not going to happen now that Sygic are selling to the public, and it was my last hope of getting a freebie. I don't think that Nokia will honour the "free navigation" pledge any other way. (Just a hunch)

Lazarpandar 2010-03-19 09:35

The N900 does have usable maps, you're just comparing it to amazing map applications.

Also words like great, amazing, and usable aren't explicitly defined in this context, so they can be used ALMOST regardless of the application. I say almost because if it literally was unusable -- i.e. crashed every two minutes, or there weren't any maps available -- then it would matter, and then it would warrant a forum post like this.

This is just another case of a user thinking he or she is entitled to more than they really are. I'm sorry certain features weren't up to your expectations.

jorjino 2010-03-19 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarpandar (Post 573018)
I say almost because if it literally was unusable -- i.e. crashed every two minutes, or there weren't any maps available -- then it would matter, and then it would warrant a forum post like this.
This is just another case of a user thinking he or she is entitled to more than they really are. I'm sorry certain features weren't up to your expectations.

First of all please do not say that I am a clown or "entitled to more than they really are"!!!
You do not know who I am as a person, education, status!

This forum, I think, is for giving ideas for improvements, and not for offend each others. I suppose...

So, I still think that present version of OVI Maps in N900 is still unusable. There is no possibility for making POI, km/h announcements, etc. Also there is no possibility to find a working GPS program as Garmin, Tom Tom or else for N900, because of Nokia.

Please do not act rude, because we are not here to share bad attitude and to express personal bad feelings.

Regards.

johnel 2010-03-19 10:07

Why should Nokia buy as all Sygic maps?

I'm all for free software and open-source software but not "freeloading"!

I would rather Nokia invest their resources into the n900 and maemo/MeeGo rather that a third-party product.

Besides, hopefully we'll get free OVI maps eventually. Symbian users got it and I think it is reasonable we should get it too.

Then again, I never bought the n900 for navigation so either way not too bothered.

ZootHornRollo 2010-03-19 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjino (Post 573001)
Hello guys!

I have an idea how Nokia can excuse all N900 users about mislead advertisement that N900 has good and usable OVI maps apps.

As all you know now, over five months from start shipping of the device we still do not have working GPS program! There are some GPS apps in repos, but neither one is usable at this moment.

So, I suggest - Nokia to give us Sygic GPS software for FREE.

Please give me your opinion and should we make a brainstorm about this topic.

Regards.

...and then i'm going to tell my car manufacturer to retrospetively put in the cruise control i wrongly assumed my car came with.

jorjino 2010-03-19 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnel (Post 573041)
I'm all for free software and open-source software but not "freeloading"!

Besides, hopefully we'll get free OVI maps eventually. Symbian users got it and I think it is reasonable we should get it too.

Then again, I never bought the n900 for navigation so either way not too bothered.

I am also for open code software, but there is no such GPS app at this moment.

We all hope to receive OVI Maps in N900 .................:D

rash.m2k 2010-03-19 10:35

Sygic is rubbish - I tried using it yesterday and it routed me the long way! (even though I said shortest route!).

Looks like I'll still have to stick to route66 on my N95 8GB.

ossipena 2010-03-19 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo (Post 573042)
...and then i'm going to tell my car manufacturer to retrospetively put in the cruise control i wrongly assumed my car came with.

plus automatic climatic control, winter chains, .....

Rauha 2010-03-19 10:56

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2...2620rk0da4.gif

jorjino 2010-03-19 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 573108)

Thanks Rauha, same to you!

OK.
Administrator, please close the thread.

ossipena 2010-03-19 11:25

btw I need free gasoline for rest of my life because I had to stand with my car approximately 3 minutes because of the red light...

jorjino 2010-03-19 11:28

ossipena, ossipena,ossipena, ossipena, ossipena,

Does your car dealer advertise your car came with free gasoline?

Does Nokia advertise that N900 has usable free OVI Maps?

Think about this before post stupid things.

Dave999 2010-03-19 11:29

All apps(support) for n900 is appreciated. Sygic is not the best, but its not the most expansive either. And more alternatives is always good.

I think its working ok and dont need to bring two devces all the time :).

arnie1971 2010-03-19 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo (Post 573042)

Is it wrong to assume that OVI maps includes voice and turn by turn navigation. After all my N95, N96 and N97 all had them, so why wouldn't my super new up to date all powerful nokia have it too!! When I go to my car manafacturer and upgrade my car I would expect it to have atleast the same if not more toys to play with! Don't get me wrong I love my N900 and am not considering jumping ship, but like a lot of people on here was dissapointed not to have proper ovi maps. I ride a motorbike and need voice navigation, cos riding while trying to watch a screen is not the greatest idea!

buxz777 2010-03-19 11:30

to the original poster of thread ----

get a grip mate why should they

sygic deserve credit for getting this app ready before nokia could get nokia maps up and running properley , we would have had it sooner if nokia hadnt messed up ovi as well , it was ready for use by the end of january when they said it would be but ovi store has slowed it down

something that really gets me is when someone wants something for nothing

the whole of europe for 59.99 is a good price it is only the free nokia maps that has made this look exspensive

dont forget you also get free program updates and support with that price

if nokia were to pay sygic for every copy that was sold or downloaded then fair enough but sygic shouldnt loose out as they have done well

cmon mate either wait for nokia maps or if you need it buy it and support the devoloper

arnie1971 2010-03-19 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by buxz777 (Post 573165)
if nokia were to pay sygic for every copy that was sold or downloaded then fair enough but sygic shouldnt loose out as they have done well

Think that was his point.

pete.fu 2010-03-19 11:33

Please change the thread's title to something like "I want Sygic and Nokia should pay" because the current title suggests that there might be an actual possibility to get Sygic for free.

buxz777 2010-03-19 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnie1971 (Post 573161)
Is it wrong to assume that OVI maps includes voice and turn by turn navigation.

yes persuming anything isnt a good idear , for example here in uk a ford focus lx has heated front and rear screen and is the middle spec model , now one would persume that the focus zetec would have the heated rear and front screen as it is a higher model yet not all zetecs have the heated front screen just an example how persuming can be dangerous

. I ride a motorbike and need voice navigation, cos riding while trying to watch a screen is not the greatest idea!

well then the awnswer is simple buy sygic it is reasonably priced for a sat nav program , why expect it for free does sat nav come free as standard in all phones now?? i must have missed that major announcement when it happend

my awnswers are in bold mate :-)

buxz777 2010-03-19 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete.fu (Post 573170)
Please change the thread's title to something like "I want Sygic and Nokia should pay" because the current title suggests that there might be an actual possibility to get Sygic for free.

very good idear mate :-)

jorjino 2010-03-19 11:39

"something that really gets me is when someone wants something for nothing "

Believe me, I also love my N900 and do not want anything for free.
But when you pay 600 Euro for something, which is advertised with many and many features and when you start using it and find that it does not do this and also do not get any information from the manfacturer when this will be done, you start to worry...

Dave999 2010-03-19 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjino (Post 573181)
"something that really gets me is when someone wants something for nothing "

Believe me, I also love my N900 and do not want anything for free.
But when you pay 600 Euro for something, which is advertised with many and many features and when you start using it and find that it does not do this and also do not get any information from the manfacturer when this will be done, you start to worry...

indeed. You do not need to buy and pay, if you are fine without it. Its great. I need it so i galdly pay.

JohnLF 2010-03-19 12:00

Jeez, give the OP a break. He made a suggestion, a simple "I don't agree with that idea" would have been enough.

And for the record, I don't agree with that idea.
Buy the one that's available now, or wait in hope for a free one.

I'm waiting, purely because the Sygic map updates are not free. The €59 up front is not too bad, but I don't want to pay again for maps. My choice, I'll live with it.

sophocha 2010-03-19 12:11

you have to pay for it! its not expensive either....you get the whole europe plus updates to future software for 59 euros.....if you don't have the money well, stick with the ovi maps.

jorjino 2010-03-19 12:11

@JohnLF,
Thanks for nice and constructive reply.
I wanted same replies from other guys, but maybe today is a bad day for me. ;-)

I am also confident to buy Sygic, but Nokia/Navteq should make a better map for my country first.
Regards.

troff76 2010-03-19 12:15

this thread is out of control
seriously

crazy_jorgito 2010-03-19 12:43

could sygic be hacked?so that we have ir for free

cddiede 2010-03-19 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_jorgito (Post 573253)

Okay you just need to go away forever. :mad:

pycage 2010-03-19 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_jorgito (Post 573253)

If you want to see another platform die because of pirated software, go on.
Otherwise please forget this idea quickly.

radiowc 2010-03-19 12:51

Ha! people just want more and more....!!! Before Sygic available for sales to public, everyone want it quick and want it now...after it has been released for public for sales...now people want it for Free!!! :D

zarf 2010-03-19 13:13

I've just purchased Sygic and installed it.

It's great! Well done Sygic !

Recommend everyone buy it and support the first commercial software project aimed at the N900.

Perhaps if it makes them money, lots more cool apps will get written.

cheers,
Dave

SubCore 2010-03-19 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarf (Post 573289)
Recommend everyone buy it and support the first commercial software project aimed at the N900.

i recommend not to do that if you value your privacy:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=864

arnie1971 2010-03-19 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by buxz777 (Post 573176)
my awnswers are in bold mate :-)

Zetec is not a higher model, zetec actually relates to the engine in fords.

I plan on buying sygic when I've read a few other people's reviews. My issue was that Nokia implied that navigation software would be included, as did a lot of other people.

Laughing Man 2010-03-19 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarf (Post 573289)
I've just purchased Sygic and installed it.

It's great! Well done Sygic !

Perhaps if it makes them money, lots more cool apps will get written.

cheers,
Dave

Actually I think Rovio was first with Angry Birds.

steev182 2010-03-19 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnie1971 (Post 573414)
Zetec is not a higher model, zetec actually relates to the engine in fords.

I plan on buying sygic when I've read a few other people's reviews. My issue was that Nokia implied that navigation software would be included, as did a lot of other people.

However Ford uses the name Zetec to describe a level of equipment on some of their cars. The name did, however originate from the engine.

crazy_jorgito 2010-03-19 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 573264)
If you want to see another platform die because of pirated software, go on.
Otherwise please forget this idea quickly.

i wont say that the iphone is dead. a lot of people would be happy to have sygic for free

somedude 2010-03-19 16:12

if someone has 600 to get the device but not 60 for the software they need or want, they certainly do not deserve the device.