maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] [WIP] cameraplus for Sailfish OS (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93256)

MSameer 2014-05-29 14:52

[WIP] cameraplus for Sailfish OS

CameraPlus is an alternate camera application for Sailfish OS. You can read more about it here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89278

This is still a preview/pre-alpha but I expect (or hope) it will mature fast. Be warned!

The RPM package is available from OpenRepos.net here: https://openrepos.net/content/msameer/cameraplus-0

All SailfishOS specific issues

Changelog

Issue tracker

Cameraplus for Harmattan

Enjoy :)

MSameer 2014-05-29 14:53

Re: [WIP] cameraplus for Sailfish OS

<reserving this post for an unknown good reason>

Morpog 2014-05-29 16:40

If anyone is wondering why the viewfinder doesn't work, MSameer is aware of it and already working on fixing that bug.

MSameer 2014-05-29 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1427246)
If anyone is wondering why the viewfinder doesn't work, MSameer is aware of it and already working on fixing that bug.

My lack of enough testing caused this mess. I will be more careful in the future.

I have now fixed the problem and uploaded a fixed RPM.

Morpog 2014-05-29 17:34

After playing around with it for a few minutes, I have to say it already works very well. Some small bugs here and there, but I expected far less for a first working development version.

Good job!

Makeclick 2014-05-30 04:31

Testin testing :). This sounds promising!

Makeclick 2014-05-30 05:01

Wow! I love it! It has even 2 tapping zoom out!

I even test camera apps:
With Jolla:
http://i.imgur.com/6vtXkVu.jpg

With Cameraplus:
http://i.imgur.com/E9IQUuJ.jpg

Thank you so much MSameer! Kiitos tästä!

latency 2014-05-30 05:08

Excellent work MSameer! It's already working quite good :)
It's my go to camera app in Sailfish from now on (as it ws in Harmattan too). I love beeing able to change video resolution. The menu is user friendly and the "reset to default"- button for every setting is very useful.

A few feature requests:

* Do you remember my feature request for the Harmattan version about the possibility to pause and continue a video recording? Would that be possible in Sailfish and Jolla?

* Manual focus

* Share to Whatsapp

Keep up the good work!

Makeclick 2014-05-30 05:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by latency (Post 1427344)
* Manual focus

Keep up the good work!

1+ to that! would be nice.. and maybe a RAW photos?

akira.pwr 2014-05-30 05:47

The app doesn't start at all for me, have I to do anything to make it working?

coderus 2014-05-30 06:17

@akira.pwr you need to install latest version :)

cvp 2014-05-30 08:16

looks grate :) thanks for you work.

MSameer 2014-05-30 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makeclick (Post 1427343)
Wow! I love it! It has even 2 tapping zoom out!

I even test camera apps:
With Jolla:
http://i.imgur.com/6vtXkVu.jpg

With Cameraplus:
http://i.imgur.com/E9IQUuJ.jpg

Thank you so much MSameer! Kiitos tästä!

Thank you for testing it too. The image quality should be similar to jolla stock camera. It's the same hardware at the end of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by latency (Post 1427344)
Excellent work MSameer! It's already working quite good :)
It's my go to camera app in Sailfish from now on (as it ws in Harmattan too). I love beeing able to change video resolution. The menu is user friendly and the "reset to default"- button for every setting is very useful.

A few feature requests:

* Do you remember my feature request for the Harmattan version about the possibility to pause and continue a video recording? Would that be possible in Sailfish and Jolla?

* Manual focus

* Share to Whatsapp

Keep up the good work!

I am glad you are enjoying it. Please keep in mind that there might be bugs.

IMHO pausing video recording is possible. I will try to do it but I prefer stabilizing and polishing the existing features which will take a bit of time :)

Manual focus: I have to check if android adaptation supports that. If it does then I will add it. If not then I won't :/

Share to whatsapp: The best bet is someone writing a plugin for the sailfish transfer engine and it will show up in all apps (coderus ? ;-))

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makeclick (Post 1427346)
1+ to that! would be nice.. and maybe a RAW photos?

We get raw data from the sensor but I am not sure in which format. It also lacks color information among other things.

I can simply dump that beside the jpeg if it will be useful. What do you think?

MSameer 2014-05-30 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by akira.pwr (Post 1427348)
The app doesn't start at all for me, have I to do anything to make it working?

Reinstall it. I had a problem with the first package I have uploaded so I had to re upload a fixed one.

mcbook 2014-05-30 18:34

could someone make some screenshots of the sailfish camer app ui?
I'd like to see that very much...

zxcvbnm3230 2014-05-30 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbook (Post 1427497)
could someone make some screenshots of the sailfish camer app ui?
I'd like to see that very much...

Check it out: one (it's a video, be careful), two, three, four (sorry, it's in Russian), five-six (they're in English, but both have a watermark).
As you can guess, only four, five and six are actual, others are first looks and prereleases, but I hope they all will be useful (because, I think I know why you are so curious about it :D )

coderus 2014-05-30 22:41

@MSameer Mitakuuluu have share plugin. You just need to add Share page to your camera and it will be available here.

MSameer 2014-05-31 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1427525)
@MSameer Mitakuuluu have share plugin. You just need to add Share page to your camera and it will be available here.

There is already a share page:
flick to the post capture and tap on the image then choose share ;-)

Makeclick 2014-05-31 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1427484)
We get raw data from the sensor but I am not sure in which format. It also lacks color information among other things.

I can simply dump that beside the jpeg if it will be useful. What do you think?

nah... jpg is just fine, just don't compress it too much :) it's fine if one photo use 3-5Mt. is there option for that?

MSameer 2014-05-31 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makeclick (Post 1427580)
nah... jpg is just fine, just don't compress it too much :) it's fine if one photo use 3-5Mt. is there option for that?

Have you checked the existing pictures? Maybe the quality is already acceptable ;-)

bennypr0fane 2014-06-06 14:55

This is super awesome, I'm so happy to have an alternative to the stock camera app. I love how it has its own little Gallery.
Three things I noticed:
- To choose the resolution in the settings screen, tapping the glowing dot does not work for me, I need to hit the text.
It took me a while to find that out because throughout the OS, I'm used to tapping the dot (though the text works too everywhere else), so at first I thought it was broken.
- In the viewfinder, tapping the '"6M" icon just moves the touch focus to that area of the image, instead allowing to choose a resolution. That is incosistent with the other buttons' behavior.
- auto focus is "jumpy". I tried to take a pic of a book indoors with daylight, and the focus box kept jittering around in the center part of the image.. the picture is fine though.

mcbook 2014-06-06 16:34

take a look at this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89278

I don't know about MSameer's exact plans concerning the UI of the sailfish build but I guess he will keep it pretty consistent with the harmattan build

MSameer 2014-06-06 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1428521)
This is super awesome, I'm so happy to have an alternative to the stock camera app. I love how it has its own little Gallery.
Three things I noticed:
- To choose the resolution in the settings screen, tapping the glowing dot does not work for me, I need to hit the text.
It took me a while to find that out because throughout the OS, I'm used to tapping the dot (though the text works too everywhere else), so at first I thought it was broken.
- In the viewfinder, tapping the '"6M" icon just moves the touch focus to that area of the image, instead allowing to choose a resolution. That is incosistent with the other buttons' behavior.
- auto focus is "jumpy". I tried to take a pic of a book indoors with daylight, and the focus box kept jittering around in the center part of the image.. the picture is fine though.

I will see what the issue with the text and dot is and try to fix it. Thanks for reporting :)

The resolution label will change the position in the upcoming release. No worries ;)

I don't understand what the issue with auto focus is? It's expected to "blink" until it gets focus and then it turns blue upon success or red upon failure.

The SailfishOS UI will be identical to the Harmattan one. I am not going to make 2 separate UIs in order to simplify the maintenance.

I have already a bunch of fixes but I am waiting for Mer OBS to come back online so I can push out a new release. Let's hope it happens soon :)

MSameer 2014-06-08 11:57

I have just uploaded 0.0.24 to Openrepos with the following changelog:
- GPS and face detection are the only visible indicators
- Move the resolution label back beside the indicators.
- Added left handed mode
- Take into account sensor orientation when rendering the viewfinder
- Make sure we render the viewfinder correctly while zooming
- Set proper exif orientation data to captured images
- Fixed tapping the glowing dot in the resolutions settings page not switching the resolution

TMavica 2014-06-08 12:10

anyone would like to make a better icon?

mcbook 2014-06-08 19:28

http://s10.postimg.org/t9j52qf0l/cam...ailfish_v1.jpg

?

bennypr0fane 2014-06-08 21:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1428540)
I don't understand what the issue with auto focus is? It's expected to "blink" until it gets focus and then it turns blue upon success or red upon failure.

Actually, I haven't seen it turn either blue nor red, it always remains white? Anyway this jittering thing happened only for this one subject with the book, where the focus box starts dancing around.
Maybe this is actually the problem of the face recognition not working, and it thinks the objects on the book cover are faces.
I'm attaching the picture, hope this works.

Btw latest fixes work great!
One more question: why is there no 8Mpx mode?

TMavica 2014-06-09 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbook (Post 1428748)

share the png or svg?

mcbook 2014-06-09 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMavica (Post 1428785)
share the png or svg?

magnify -> right click -> save image as?

you probable need to resize it though...

caprico 2014-06-09 09:35

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another idea for the flat Sailfish OS icon theme which I created when cameraplus came up. This is just a first sketch/idea since I haven't have time to work on it. So it needs some fine tuning :)

If there's interest in such an icon (especially from the developer himself), please show and feel free to bring in your ideas. Of course every element/colour can be changed.

mcbook 2014-06-09 10:42

looks nice too ;)

TMavica 2014-06-09 12:57

resized png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ailfish_v1.png

mcbook 2014-06-09 15:01

I sent it to Msameer...
Maybe he will use it in the sailfish build :)

MSameer 2014-06-09 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1428760)
Actually, I haven't seen it turn either blue nor red, it always remains white? Anyway this jittering thing happened only for this one subject with the book, where the focus box starts dancing around.
Maybe this is actually the problem of the face recognition not working, and it thinks the objects on the book cover are faces.
I'm attaching the picture, hope this works.

Btw latest fixes work great!
One more question: why is there no 8Mpx mode?

I don't think it's face detection but you never know. Most likely what happened is that android camera HAL barfed somehow. I will try to see if I can reproduce that.
EDIT: I created an issue here so I won't forget: https://gitorious.org/projects/cameraplus/issues/30

8 megapixels is the maimum sensor resolution. You will find it in 4:3 aspect ratio :)

MSameer 2014-06-09 22:19

Good work and collaboration on the icon guys :)

I will try to add it to the next release.

bennypr0fane 2014-06-12 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1428928)
Good work and collaboration on the icon guys :)

I will try to add it to the next release.

I like the one from Caprico better because it's flat and fits in better with the overall Jolla icons look.

bennypr0fane 2014-06-12 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSameer (Post 1428927)
I don't think it's face detection but you never know. Most likely what happened is that android camera HAL barfed somehow. I will try to see if I can reproduce that.
EDIT: I created an issue here so I won't forget: https://gitorious.org/projects/cameraplus/issues/30

1. I can reproduce the same behavior by pointing the viewfinder at any picture of faces, or things that may look like faces. I'm guessing that the letter-cube-thingies on the book cover are also mistaken for faces.

Quote:

8 megapixels is the maimum sensor resolution. You will find it in 4:3 aspect ratio :)
2. Why is the 8mpx resolution only available for 4:3 aspect ratio?

3. I found another "bug" (or two):
- when you shoot a video and preview it, you get three buttons: share, delete, and go to gallery. this button takes you straight to the photo section of the gallery, regardless of whether a photo or a video was being previewed. It would make more sense for it to either go to the Gallery front page or to video/photo section according to what was being previewed.
- If I go to Gallery through that button in CameraPlus, I can go back to Gallery fromt page, but then I can't get back into any of the three sections (photo, video, ambience), the buttons don't react.

4. feature request: add a resolution lower than VGA to video mode, like QVGA (320x240), WQVGA (400x240), HVGA (480x320).
The idea is to be able to send the resulting video via IM apps like Whatsapp, Threema etc. I think Threema has a 25MB limit, Whatsapp is lower. I shot a 25sec. video at VGA res. which is 29,8MB, so it's not easy to get below the required limit with VGA res.

MSameer 2014-06-12 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by caprico (Post 1428803)
Here's another idea for the flat Sailfish OS icon theme which I created when cameraplus came up. This is just a first sketch/idea since I haven't have time to work on it. So it needs some fine tuning :)

If there's interest in such an icon (especially from the developer himself), please show and feel free to bring in your ideas. Of course every element/colour can be changed.

I don't know how I missed that post. I forgot to thank you for the icon so here it goes :)

I am currently using the icon from mcbook. Perhaps you guys can come to a common conclusion together? I personally don't have a preference here :(

I already have that in git now https://gitorious.org/cameraplus/cam...cameraplus.png but I can change it if needed.

coderus 2014-06-12 19:48

@bennypr0fane Mitakuuluu will have video recording in 640x480 in mid-bitrate mode in next release. It's about 1MB for 25sec video

MSameer 2014-06-12 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1429350)
1. I can reproduce the same behavior by pointing the viewfinder at any picture of faces, or things that may look like faces. I'm guessing that the letter-cube-thingies on the book cover are also mistaken for faces.

It might be but I really did not check it yet. Can you reproduce the same issue with jolla camera?

Quote:

2. Why is the 8mpx resolution only available for 4:3 aspect ratio?

This is always the case. Sensor maximum resolution is in 4:3 aspect ratio. 16:9 most likely involves some kind of hardware cropping element. It's how it is in modern hardware :)

Quote:

3. I found another "bug" (or two):
- when you shoot a video and preview it, you get three buttons: share, delete, and go to gallery. this button takes you straight to the photo section of the gallery, regardless of whether a photo or a video was being previewed. It would make more sense for it to either go to the Gallery front page or to video/photo section according to what was being previewed.
- If I go to Gallery through that button in CameraPlus, I can go back to Gallery fromt page, but then I can't get back into any of the three sections (photo, video, ambience), the buttons don't react.

I will fix the first issue then. It never occurred to me. Thank you for reporting.

The 2nd issue is most likely a bug in gallery itself. I will see what I can do for that.

Quote:

4. feature request: add a resolution lower than VGA to video mode, like QVGA (320x240), WQVGA (400x240), HVGA (480x320).
The idea is to be able to send the resulting video via IM apps like Whatsapp, Threema etc. I think Threema has a 25MB limit, Whatsapp is lower. I shot a 25sec. video at VGA res. which is 29,8MB, so it's not easy to get below the required limit with VGA res.

I can easily add that but we have an issue. All video resolutions use the same bitrate so the end result will still a bit large. This is something I need to fix.