maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish OS for Moto Z Play (addison) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99669)

TheKit 2017-08-04 12:07

Sailfish OS for Moto Z Play (addison)

1 Attachment(s)
This is a community port of SailfishOS to Moto Z Play (addison), based on LineageOS 14.1 (previously 13.0).

Status
Version: alpha
Works: graphics, sound, mobile data and calls, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, camera, video HW decoding, Keyboard Mod
Known not to work yet: ?
Unsupported: fingerprint sensor, Moto Mods besides keyboard

Installation
Since there are no LineageOS 13.0 builds for the device, I currently embedded stripped custom build into Sailfish OS zip, so Lineage OS doesn't need to be installed separately. You can have any other ROM installed and switch between Sailfish OS/that ROM by flashing boot partition backup. Beware that the stock ROM has forced encryption for /data partition, so you either need to install LineageOS or modified stock firmware if you want to boot to Android as well.
  1. Make sure your data partition is decrypted (may require formating userdata partition from fastboot)
  2. Boot TWRP recovery
  3. Backup your current boot partition
  4. Flash sailfishos-addison-release-2.1.3.7-rel3.zip

Downloads:

2.1.1.0: sailfishos-addison-release-2.1.0.11-test.zip

2.1.3.7:
2017-12-27: sailfishos-addison-release-2.1.3.7-rel2.zip
2018-03-31: sailfishos-addison-release-2.1.3.7-rel3.zip
2018-04-05: sailfishos-addison-release-2.1.3.7-rel4.zip

3.0.0.8:
2018-11-13: download from GitLab CI

Contributors:
  • mosen - thanks for helping me to get the device
  • Alberto97 - LineageOS 13.0 device tree
  • piggz - Xiaomi Redmi 4 port (used as reference for many things, as device has the same SoC)
Also thanks to mal, #sailfishos-porters and Sailfish OS community.

m4r0v3r 2017-08-04 12:08

Re: Sailfish OS for Moto Z Play (addison)

woop woop :D your porting like crazyy :P thats atleast 2 devices already

chenliangchen 2017-08-04 12:42

Thank you so much! You guys rock!!!!

PS: Also left you a PM message ;)

taixzo 2017-08-04 13:56

Does bluetooth work?

TheKit 2017-08-04 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1532058)
Does bluetooth work?

Yes, able to attach BT keyboard and send files to another phone, connecting other devices is untested though.

mosen 2017-08-04 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKit (Post 1532047)
You can have any other ROM installed and switch between Sailfish OS/that ROM by flashing boot partition backup.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/93910402/large.gif

mosen 2017-08-04 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1532051)
PS: Also left you a PM message ;)

Ahhh, TheKit earned himself the first Livermorium Phone and Moto Mod Kbd prototype when they are ready? Good move chen! :D

chainsawbike 2017-08-05 08:05

tried it with lineageos 14 installed with encrypted userdata, did not boot.

i assume it does not work with encrypted userdata?

flashing old boot partition image and it booted up lineageos as expected :)

TheKit 2017-08-05 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by chainsawbike (Post 1532095)
tried it with lineageos 14 installed with encrypted userdata, did not boot.

i assume it does not work with encrypted userdata?

flashing old boot partition image and it booted up lineageos as expected :)

Yes, needs to be decrypted, will mention it in topic.

ka9yhd 2017-08-06 07:39

TheKit:

I am following this as I also have a Moto Z Play.
I would like to help as much as I can, but I do not have much programming skills.

juiceme 2017-08-06 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka9yhd (Post 1532142)
TheKit:

I am following this as I also have a Moto Z Play.
I would like to help as much as I can, but I do not have much programming skills.

Generally porting skills and programming skills are two different things.

ka9yhd 2017-08-07 22:05

I have not done either one.

juiceme 2017-08-08 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka9yhd (Post 1532225)
I have not done either one.

That's OK, everybody needs to start from the beginning; it's the will to learn that counts :)

Generally (what I consider) necessary skills in porting are pretty much debugging skills; most if not all of the needed pieces of software are already there and it is pretty much checking what does not work and figuring out why.
After that all that is needed is inserting/removing/changing something pretty trivial to remove the problem.

Most difficult thing is to understand how the build comes together; how the MER build system and libhybris interact and how the final filesystem image is created.
Reading and understanding the HADK is the way to start; https://sailfishos.org/wp-content/up...tKit-1.1.2.pdf
Also, the most valuable interactive resource is channel #sailfishos-porters on freenet.

ka9yhd 2017-08-08 20:16

I have installed custom or after market firmwares, such as DDWRT on to Linksys wifi routers before. So I am hoping it is similar.

I just do not like the thought of paying $400 for a phone then bricking it....

And many thanks for the link to the pdf document. I have saved it to my PC and have started reading.

Question: Can I do a dual boot of Android and Sailfish or will this be Sailfish only?

Eventually I would love to dump Android.

TheKit 2017-08-08 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka9yhd (Post 1532290)
Question: Can I do a dual boot of Android and Sailfish or will this be Sailfish only?

No actual dual boot, but switching is more or less easy (reflashing boot partition only). However, you need decrypted userdata partition and custom Android ROM (either LineageOS or patched stock) without "forceencrypt" for /data.

TJKao 2017-08-09 20:37

Hello TheKit

Could this work on Moto Z2 Play? The Z2 play uses a Snapdragon 626 which is described as an overclocked 625 with a bit more ram. The GPU is the same.

I recently broke my J1 and am considering a Z2 Play.

Thanks

TheKit 2017-08-09 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJKao (Post 1532364)
Hello TheKit

Could this work on Moto Z2 Play? The Z2 play uses a Snapdragon 626 which is described as an overclocked 625 with a bit more ram. The GPU is the same.

I recently broke my J1 and am considering a Z2 Play.

Thanks

Hello. Unlikely, since it's a newer device and came with Android 7.1.1, while this port is based on LineageOS 13 for now (which is effectively Android 6).

rubdos 2017-08-12 17:52

I did a stupid thing... but now I have a smartphone, again!

Anyhow, putting in my headphones doesn't work, might still be a bug?

Otherwise the experience is very interesting. Will report on battery life, although I didn't put in a sim yet. Gotta get a nanosim first...

EDIT: battery life is incredible, and the headphones are hardware, not software related.

Can confirm that dual sim works perfectly too.

rubdos 2017-08-17 11:24

@TheKit: you want me to test anything on dual sim? Feel free to reply through IRC.

mosen 2017-08-17 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubdos (Post 1532515)
EDIT: battery life is incredible, and the headphones are hardware, not software related.

Now that is very good news!
Many thanks for testing.

ka9yhd 2017-08-18 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubdos (Post 1532515)
I did a stupid thing... but now I have a smartphone, again!

Anyhow, putting in my headphones doesn't work, might still be a bug?

Otherwise the experience is very interesting. Will report on battery life, although I didn't put in a sim yet. Gotta get a nanosim first...

Battery life should be awesome considering the Moto Z Play has a 3510 ma/hr battery.

ka9yhd 2017-09-02 06:33

With Android on my Moto Z Play I can hold the phone sideways and shake it twice to turn on the flashlight (torch) then shake it twice again to turn off the flashlight.
Is this a function of the phone and is supported in Android? Will this work with Sailfish? If not, then how easy or difficult would it be to add this function to Sailfish?

mosen 2017-09-02 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka9yhd (Post 1533820)
With Android on my Moto Z Play I can hold the phone sideways and shake it twice to turn on the flashlight (torch) then shake it twice again to turn off the flashlight.
Is this a function of the phone and is supported in Android? Will this work with Sailfish? If not, then how easy or difficult would it be to add this function to Sailfish?

This is a Moto special feature an done in Software.
You can configure the gesture action in the Moto App or Settings. (sorry, no phone here to check).
As i am using the phone for photos mostly the "twist twice" gesture to start camera comes quite handy also.

rubdos 2017-09-20 09:05

I have a bug, one that might be very expensive to debug! While on the Thalys, my playing music stutters as we go 300km/h...

It gets better when I'm actually doing something on the phone, but when I turn off the screen, it usually stutters. Only on the Thalys though, didn't experience it anywhere else -- yet.

juiceme 2017-09-20 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubdos (Post 1534708)
I have a bug, one that might be very expensive to debug! While on the Thalys, my playing music stutters as we go 300km/h...

It gets better when I'm actually doing something on the phone, but when I turn off the screen, it usually stutters. Only on the Thalys though, didn't experience it anywhere else -- yet.

What's thalys, your network provider?

pichlo 2017-09-20 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1534732)
What's thalys, your network provider?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Thalys :D

ka9yhd 2017-09-21 11:56

The other day I plugged in a USB cable to my Moto Z Play and the file manager on my desktop PC was blank. I am assuming the phone is encrypted.
If it is encrypted then how do I disable the encryption?
The phone came with Android 6 and with the updates now has Android 7.11

hamudistan 2017-10-05 08:18

Tried to flash the zip today, but twrp gives me an error message saying "this is for moto z play addison. Your phone is.. "
Well, I'm on addison with patched decrypted stock 7.1.1. and have no clue at the moment how to get further on without massive fiddling around

Govi 2017-10-15 09:31

I have a question:

Will this work with Moto Z (no play )?

mosen 2017-10-15 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govi (Post 1536843)
I have a question:

Will this work with Moto Z (no play )?

Not yet due to different SoC mainly.
But if you want (to) help go to freenode IRC #sailfish-porters.
Even if you do not know how to port yourself but are really desperate, it may be an option to offer SSH access to your location/device.
Maybe someone is looking for a fun hacking time ;)

MisterMagister was quite verbose on moto porting ambitions, maybe ask him?

suicidal_orange 2017-10-22 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubdos (Post 1534708)

Do you have GPS switched on? I'm thinking the device could be throttling due to inactivity then being overwhelmed by GPS updates...

This would indeed be expensive to debug!

rubdos 2017-10-23 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange (Post 1537451)
Do you have GPS switched on? I'm thinking the device could be throttling due to inactivity then being overwhelmed by GPS updates...

This would indeed be expensive to debug!

Seems like I have it on my local trains too, which costs €1.10 per ride, I have 4G on my laptop, and takes about 2 hours. On top of that, I take that twice a week, so that's quite a bit cheaper :'-)

It's not always though, but I'm guessing it's switching between ground stations while it's doing that. GPS is switched on (in the settings), but it's not active at the moment I'm listening to music.

hamudistan 2017-11-11 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamudistan (Post 1535921)
Tried to flash the zip today, but twrp gives me an error message saying "this is for moto z play addison. Your phone is.. "
Well, I'm on addison with patched decrypted stock 7.1.1. and have no clue at the moment how to get further on without massive fiddling around

Solution for me: in newest twrp 3.1.1-1 unoffical, there in the install settings screen is an option to choose "legacy zip". Aktivate it and zip will install without errors

rubdos 2017-11-21 09:53

I seem to be having problems with bluetooth; can't find new devices.

If I do systemctl restart bluetooth, I can find devices, but can't pair.

wokawoka 2017-11-22 12:09

It would be great if someday the zip could be flashed to the phone in multirom with TWRP multirom ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...m-v33-t3609399 ).

Great project. Please keep up the good work!

TheKit 2017-11-23 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by wokawoka (Post 1538698)
It would be great if someday the zip could be flashed to the phone in multirom with TWRP multirom ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...m-v33-t3609399 ).

I tried it before, but the MultiROM itself wasn't working properly.

wokawoka 2017-11-24 11:12

Yes, TWRP multirom for the moto Z play at the moment is buggy and I wasn't able to use it as well.

The guy who ported it recently wrote on xda that he would have update and fix it soon.

Let's really hope he will do it soon ì, it would be really useful in order to dualboot android and sailfish

TheKit 2017-12-27 11:18

Uploaded a new build with SailfishOS 2.1.3.7: http://sfos.scanf.su/addison/sailfis...1.3.7-test.zip. It's still LineageOS 13 based, so there are no changes in terms of hardware support.

I'm currently trying to update to LineageOS 14.1 base, as it has official support for the device, compared to LOS13 and there likely going to be less bugs from Android side.

rubdos 2017-12-28 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKit (Post 1539663)
Uploaded a new build with SailfishOS 2.1.3.7: http://sfos.scanf.su/addison/sailfis...1.3.7-test.zip. It's still LineageOS 13 based, so there are no changes in terms of hardware support.

I'm currently trying to update to LineageOS 14.1 base, as it has official support for the device, compared to LOS13 and there likely going to be less bugs from Android side.

Thanks TheKit for the update! I installed it, here are my current remarks:

- Camera occasionally bugs/doesn't start
- Disabling second (unavailable) sim crashes the first SIM. This took a long time to figure out. After reverting to 2.1.0, I noticed what went wrong, and then went back to 2.1.3. I also have this on 2.1.0 thus.
- Some graphical elements -- unsure which ones -- render black. Tab previews in the browser are among them, and some images in quickddit and the Twitter event view.
- Bluetooth seems more stable/less buggy, but I don't have my hands on my speaker atm to test.
- No OTA updates, but I heard progress is made there! This means you HAVE to backup and restore. And preferably, also backup your home directory, as application data is not always covered by the system backup.

Due to few regressions and a lot of new features, I'm staying on this release. Thanks TheKit! :-)

suicidal_orange 2018-02-02 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKit (Post 1539663)

Sounds good, are you having any luck?