maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Announcements (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Maemo Summit: registration open and free (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21569)

qgil 2008-07-03 21:09

Maemo Summit: registration open and free

Dear Internet Tablet Talk forum, the Maemo Summit is officially launched.

Berlin, September 19-20 @ c-base - right after http://www.osimworld.com .

Here is the announcement and a little more in my blog.

The registration is open and free. Special message to those of you contributing heavily to ITt: see you there. It's going to be fun. :)

Scarflash 2008-07-03 21:25

Re: Maemo Summit: registration open and free

will the new logo for maemo be decided at the summit?

qgil 2008-07-03 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarflash (Post 199080)
will the new logo for maemo be decided at the summit?

Nope, way before. Say First week of August. Otherwise we won't have time to print shirts and stickers. And it will be difficult for the winner to win that trip to the summit. ;)

Now that you mention though, I'm proposing a very special dress code por the participants of the Summit...

qgil 2008-07-04 04:51

Is it possible to get the list of most thanked ITt contributors?

There is another intersting statistic that throws some usernames: aflegg, Benson, bunanson, Bundyo, fanoush, fpp, GeneralAntilles, geneven, gnuite, handful, Hedgecore, Karel Jansens, Milhouse, penguinbait, qwerty12, TA-t3, Texrat (*) & zerojay.

Please join. Travel and accommodation expenses shouldn't be a problem in your case. Reggie is already confirmed in the schedule and presenting with Krisse in prime time.

Then editors Reggie and RogerS, for obvious reasons here.

Then sjgadsby, those bug jars speak for themselves. We are impressed for your initiative every week.

Who else? Don't try to convince us. Convince them directly to register. ;) The sooner the better because now it's when travel and accommodation are still in the decent price range.

An only condition for you would be to contribute to the program somehow: present something in a lightning session, facilitate a BoF or a workshop... Any ideas welcome (in the wiki page please). Not that you don't have things to say. ;)

(*) Texrat: the community guy in you deserves to be in the statistic but our sponsorship mini-program is not for Nokia employees. Contact me internally if you need a hand.

anidel 2008-07-04 11:41

I am trying to join.
Trying to figure out if I can make it and, also, how I can contribute to the summit.

If not, Berlin is not so far away anyway from where I live and I should be able to make it anyway.

I really would like not to miss it.

qwerty12 2008-07-04 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 199206)

There is another intersting statistic that throws some usernames: aflegg, Benson, bunanson, Bundyo, fanoush, fpp, GeneralAntilles, geneven, gnuite, handful, Hedgecore, Karel Jansens, Milhouse, penguinbait, qwerty12, TA-t3, Texrat (*) & zerojay.

Please join.

I'd honestly love to but I need to get a few years added on to my age first :)

Bundyo 2008-07-04 14:19

I honestly don't have anything worthy to show :(

bunanson 2008-07-04 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 199315)

You are just way three humble, one notch above two :) . I have been following your work and benefits tremendously. You would have fun there!

Where is Milhouse? It is a little bit too quiet for Mil with all these Diablo goin' on

bun

TA-t3 2008-07-04 16:16

Nice to be mentioned in that list, but after reading up on the summit and scratching my head for a while I can't for the life of me think of anything that I could possibly contribute, unfortunately.

Bundyo 2008-07-04 16:46

No bun, i'm not humble. :) I only did some ports, nothing wrote myself. :)

wazd 2008-07-04 17:06

Well, i was planning to join in the party, maybe I can make some random designing gasp :)

Jaffa 2008-07-04 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 199315)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA-t3 (Post 199345)
Nice to be mentioned in that list, but after reading up on the summit and scratching my head for a while I can't for the life of me think of anything that I could possibly contribute, unfortunately.

The point of a conference is not only to show; but to learn, collaborate and discuss. You don't need to present to either get something out of it personally; provide some insight to someone who is presenting; or shoot-the-breeze with people about the tablets and what they can do and where they are going.

The summit will be exponentially more useful and valuable (to me at least) the more attendees there are. Presentations, BoFs and lightning sessions will be fun; but I don't want to go there and just:

a) talk to the people I talk to on IRC all the time
b) talk to other developers.

I want to learn from people I've not heard in the past!

So, please - both of you (and anyone else wondering if they should go) - reconsider your "something to contribute" and realise that your mere presence will enrich the experience for everyone.

20 developers sat in a room can be awfully lonely, but it will make buying rounds of beer cheaper ;-)

bunanson 2008-07-04 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 199422)
...So, please - both of you (and anyone else wondering if they should go) - reconsider your "something to contribute" and realise that your mere presence will enrich the experience for everyone.

20 developers sat in a room can be awfully lonely, but it will make buying rounds of beer cheaper ;-)

110% agree!

bun

qgil 2008-07-04 21:10

I share the surprise. In fact that list is of people that have written more than 1000 posts ın these forums. 1000 posts or more! And you say you have nothıng to contrıbute? :)

Just register, get your travel sorted out, follow the activity pre-summit and see you in Berlin!

(Alright, being a minor doesn't help, indeed. There will be chances in the future.) :)

Bundyo 2008-07-04 21:42

I was considering going anyway, i was just saying that i'm not eligible for the sponsorship :)

Baloo 2008-07-06 19:28

I'm planning to attend but maybe I can attend with a HD camcorder and video everything for the community? Is that a useful contribution?

qgil 2008-07-06 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baloo (Post 199936)
I'm planning to attend but maybe I can attend with a HD camcorder and video everything for the community? Is that a useful contribution?

Definitely!

Baloo 2008-07-06 20:08

Great! I'll email you. I have to try to arrange a few things (locations, maybe interviewee's, anything you'd like to see recorded, e.t.c).

I think there is a lot of interest in the Maemo summit but there's a lot of people who can't attend. This way they can get the information along with the 'feel' for the event and hopefully drum up even more support for the second Maemo summit.

qgil 2008-07-06 20:12

No need for private emails. Organization via wiki is the best, so other can provide additional ideas and help. Thanks!

Also remember to register, so everybody know who is going. I have got already emails from people confirming that they will go but still haven't registered. Please!

Baloo 2008-07-06 20:18

I've already registered and yes, the wiki would be the best place to arrange this. Thanks.

Baloo 2008-07-06 20:32

Ok, done. If anyone has questions/suggestions please post them on https://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?tit...008_recordings

Benson 2008-07-07 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 199206)

Please join. Travel and accommodation expenses shouldn't be a problem in your case. Reggie is already confirmed in the schedule and presenting with Krisse in prime time.

Well, I'd love to come, but I'll have classes going on at that time, and can't know at present if skipping them for this would be feasible, so this year is not possible. Next year, though, is almost certainly possible...

Quote:

An only condition for you would be to contribute to the program somehow: present something in a lightning session, facilitate a BoF or a workshop... Any ideas welcome (in the wiki page please). Not that you don't have things to say. ;)
A couple topic thoughts that someone else might be able to pick up:
  • on-tablet development
  • multi-boot stuff
  • USB-OTG and BT stuff (maybe a meeting on the 20th for major fooling around interfacing all random hardware; a chance for people to show off what they've got working, ask questions about what they haven't quite got working, and maybe even bring new hardware in hopes of team-hacking a solution...)
    (I'm not sure this belongs at maemo summit at all; it's much more hardware than software... still sounds like a load of fun to me.)

thoughtfix 2008-07-07 18:54

I was going to try to come along, but the only thing I put together for the tablet is way too big to fit in my luggage.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/thoughtfix/Rzzn...0/IMG_0600.JPG

On a side note: I request forgiveness for my recent silence: The Dallas buyers of my employer close the Phoenix IT department on July 31 and I've been looking for a job.

Reggie 2008-07-07 19:06

Dan (Thoughtfix)! I hope you can go!

thoughtfix 2008-07-07 19:08

Thanks, Reggie. It'd be a stretch and I don't want to apply for a sponsorship that'd take away from a "legitimate" developer as I have been rather slacking in my contributions lately. I have a series of articles in the works, but it's more of the same - educating the readers about the cool stuff the "real developers" are doing.

Benson 2008-07-07 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtfix (Post 200331)
Thanks, Reggie. It'd be a stretch and I don't want to apply for a sponsorship that'd take away from a "legitimate" developer as I have been rather slacking in my contributions lately. I have a series of articles in the works, but it's more of the same - educating the readers about the cool stuff the "real developers" are doing.

Well, education rocks, too...

If you can make it, just apply; they can always turn you down or put your application off to the second round if you do apply, but they can't draft you if you don't apply.

lardman 2008-07-07 22:36

I've registered, I'd quite like to talk about DSP development, not sure many people would be interested to listen mind you ;) :)

wazd 2008-07-07 22:41

Ah, btw, I have some "pro wannabe" Nikon D70 and some photographer/photoshoper skills so I can make kinda photoreview :)

qole 2008-07-07 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 199355)
No bun, i'm not humble. :) I only did some ports, nothing wrote myself. :)

Porting is a very interesting topic, and you'd be a huge contributor to any discussions of that. What are the problems porting stuff to the tablet? How do you work around the problems?

But Bundyo, you know so much about everything tablet-related. Your very presence would be a contribution.

I, for one, would love to see Gnuite talk about Maemo Mapper, Serge talk about maemo mplayer, penguinbait discuss KDE... wow that would rock...

If only Nokia wasn't so darned European. Berlin is pretty much the other side of the world for me.

Bundyo 2008-07-08 05:03

I did in fact decide to go, but still unsure on the details so i'm still not registering.

Quote:

If only Nokia wasn't so darned European. Berlin is pretty much the other side of the world for me.
My problem is the opposite - i live quite close to Berlin (about 2000km), but we have no direct cheap flights to there. So i have to choose - direct flight for 300 EUR (compared to London - Berlin for 30 EUR :)) or cheap flight (60 EUR) to Dortmund and then 500 km by train (another 60 EUR). Sometimes its so difficult to not hate my country. :)

anidel 2008-07-08 06:45

Well Qole, it's like when there are very cool conferences, meeting, workshops running in California and we (Europeans) can't come :)

Now it's your turn :p eheh

Baloo 2008-07-08 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by anidel (Post 200481)
Well Qole, it's like when there are very cool conferences, meeting, workshops running in California and we (Europeans) can't come :)

Indeed, there are many conferences that I wouldn't dream of going to just because they are held at the 'other side of the world' from me.

TA-t3 2008-07-08 11:28

BTW, what's the name of the 'main' Berlin airport? I see three in the LH timetable (GVM application :)). Berlin Tegel?

anidel 2008-07-08 12:01

Ryanair lands at Schonefeld, so I suppose this one is not the main one.
Alitalia lands (at least, they do when they take off) at the Tegel one.
So...probably Tegel ?

lardman 2008-07-08 13:08

Yep Tegel is the main one, Tempelhof is being closed down iirc and Schoenenfeld is shared between RyanAir and the military iirc.

Bundyo 2008-07-08 13:31

Airberlin also use Schoenenfeld.

qole 2008-07-08 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by anidel (Post 200481)

Yeah. I wasn't saying that it was a bad thing that Nokia and the Summit are in Europe, just that it is a bad thing for me.

Looks like my cheapest flight (from itravel2000.com) would be $490 CAD plus taxes from YVR on "LTU" (Air Berlin's long-haul arm) to Dusseldorf and then on Air Berlin to TXL.

(That's really going to make the sponsorship guys think long and hard... :( )

anidel 2008-07-08 23:53

Well 490$ CAD is not that much if you think of it.
Nokia surely can afford it considering that many contributors will use cheap EU flights (or at least that's what it looks like).

If you deserve it, they will make it.

Jaffa 2008-07-09 12:12

I'm even self-funding since I can get to Essen for the outbound trip and go back from Apeldoorn on the way back. 29 EUR: Essen -> Berlin, 39 EUR: Berlin -> Apeldoorn.

Figured since I want more people there, not taking money might help :-)

Baloo 2008-07-09 14:16

I'll be funding myself to the Maemo Summit for the exact same reasons as Jaffa. I'm possibly attending OSiM too if I can justify the cost.