maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Newbie To Linux And N810 Helppp!!! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=12983)

n810man913 2007-12-10 22:45

Newbie To Linux And N810 Helppp!!!

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie and just purchased a nokia n810 and was wondering if anyone can help me with t he following:

1) Stereo A2DP and Nokia wireless stereo headset support?

2) Bluetooth internet connection via Blackberry as a modem so I can surf the web?

3) Full screen while watching streaming videos?

4) Video converter to fit N810 screen (ripping DVDs)?

5) Onscreen keyboard and graffiti with finger?

6) Alarm FM radio without headphones in jack?

7) Apps can be installed onto memory card or just media?

8) How do I move things out of 1 folder and into the a new one (Chess out of extras into my selection)?

9) Download Apps? Maemo do I have to use only 2008 or can I use 2007 apps?

10) Video out feature like the N95?

11) It didnt come with a cd do I need a special software to synch it with my laptop? How do I install apps?

Hedgecore 2007-12-10 22:55

Re: Newbie To Linux And N810 Helppp!!!

Yikes. Just to warn you there's gonna be a chorus of people telling you to use 'search' in these forums as most of what you want to know is readily available. I'll do a few but I'm literally on my way out the door right now so I don't have time (or an N810) to answer them all.

2.) You can do this, open the connection manager (Application Menu, Tools, Connection Manager). Click the Connection Manager title bar to bring up the menu, Tools, Mobile Operator Setup Wizard. (This is how it is on the 770 (OS2007), hopefully it's the same for you)

3.) Press the Full Screen button on your tablet. (I think it's on the top of the N810.)

4.) http://tableteer.nokia.com should have a video converter. Otherwise www.maemo.org in the downloads section (multimedia).

5.) Tap a text field with your finger (so there's more of a pressure point that with just the stylus). The fullscreen keyboard should come up.

8.) Application Menu, Personalization, Navigation. Click the "organize" button beside Applications.

10.) Sorry, nope.

11.) Most likely you can't "synch" in the way you're thinking. Your laptop probably uses a totally different suite of software. To install applications, www.maemo.org and go to the Downloads section. Make sure you pick OS2008.

n810man913 2007-12-11 01:06

Thanks alot hedge and I apologize for not using the search forum but I'm a newbie so I have a legitimate excuse LOL I am literally pulling my hair out trying to use this thing so many questions, so little time LOL

As far as # 2 I have done that and it connected to my t-mobile internet but now it isn't working. I heard blackberrys don't tether well with the tablets for internet connection. Is this true???

dick-richardson 2007-12-11 01:31

6. No...the wire for the headphones doubles as the antenna. You can route the sound out of the stereo speakers, but how you'd do that as an alarm clock I'm not sure...there may be an app written for that purpose.

7. apps are installed to the unit itself. Though, with all the apps I've installed, I don't see that as an issue...

9. You can try os2007 apps, but you'll need the .deb package (rather than trying to use the repository). Best bet there is to keep an eye on http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...08_OS_Software and http://gronmayer.com/it/

n810man913 2007-12-11 02:02

Dick,

Thanks so much for your additional input however I am still lost. What is a repository? What is a .deb pkg? Not to sound redundant, but this is literally my first experiences with linux. Do I need nokia pc suite like with my n95 or is it a diff synch set up? I am so intimidated I am actually having buyers remorse asking myself do I really need to learn a whole new system? Is it worth it or should I just stick with my laptop?

dick-richardson 2007-12-11 02:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by n810man913 (Post 106997)
Dick,

Thanks so much for your additional input however I am still lost. What is a repository? What is a .deb pkg? Not to sound redundant, but this is literally my first experiences with linux. Do I need nokia pc suite like with my n95 or is it a diff synch set up? I am so intimidated I am actually having buyers remorse asking myself do I really need to learn a whole new system? Is it worth it or should I just stick with my laptop?

Forgive me... I should have explained better. Assuming you're familiar with Windows, a .deb file is similar to a .msi file in that it is an installer for a specific application. Unlike most .msi files, however, .deb files do not necessarily include everything needed to install the application. This is done in large part to reduce redundancy (why have a spell checker and dictionary software contain separate word lists, for example). Technically, .msi files rely on .dll's in Windows...but the idea here isn't to complicate things more than I already need to.

So, .deb files can be thought of as application installers. A repository is an online resource that concerns itself with making sure that the .deb files it hosts also contain everything those applications would require (the master word list, in my dictionary example above). Think of it like Microsoft Update on steroids. Updates for ALL software are automatically made available to you...assuming you have 'subscribed' to that repository. When words are added to that master list, both the spell checker and the dictionary get them when you update your computer.

The reason you can't use the 2007 repositories with the n810 (or os2008 more accurately), is because the repository itself has to make some assumptions - namely the 'base' state the computer starts in. OS2008 has changes that have been made that, of necessity or aesthetics, are incompatible with the previous OS. The individual applications you want installed might work ok with those changes...hence it might be worth finding the .deb package and seeing if that will install. Better, however, would be installing an application that is known to work with the new OS...hence those links I included in my previous post.

If any of that doesn't make sense, ask and I will try to clarify further.

Now, as for syncing your n810 with your desktop. Divorce the n810 from the n95 in your mind. Think of the n810 as 1 of 2 things:
1.) A simple web browser, email client, and voip unit.
2.) A completely separate computer from your desktop. An ultra-mobile pc competitor that can potentially replace a laptop for most things.
How you think of it depends on what you saw yourself doing with it when you purchased it. I can't tell you if you should feel buyers remorse. Not until I at least know what you need the n810 to do. Is it worth it...

That's the million dollar question.

n810man913 2007-12-11 02:40

I appreciate all your time and effort all of you put forth in helping newbiews like me. It really means alot to me. I am starting to understand it a little more (only had the unit for 2 days). I guess I am looking for a complete internet device so I can surf the web, take advantage of its media player functionality, retreive and send emails, etc. Am I supposed to dload apps directly from my n810 or do I do use my laptop as a desktop manager and then synch it with my tablet? I am getting more intimidated by the minute. I am usually very computer savvy however this is all new to me. I have a blackberry and an n95 but I want something more ... something with punch but I am asking myself if its worth all the hassle to learn a new device bc it's getting to be a pain verses an enjoyable device.

n810man913 2007-12-11 02:45

One more thing do any of you know where there is like a beginner FAQ for the n810 or an area which explains the process of dowloading apps and how to do everything I want to do?

dick-richardson 2007-12-11 03:19

Personally I think that the n810 paired with a bluetooth phone will give you significantly more punch than the blackberry/n95 combo you're using now, though there is a learning curve. I wouldn't get intimidated yet, let me walk you through installing an app and then you can decide how comfortable you are. With web browsing, email, and streaming media you're set to go, just spend some time getting into all the menu's and playing around. Getting DVD's onto the device involves ripping them to your computer and re-encoding them. How familiar with that are you?

Ok, let me back up a bit. Re-reading your initial post to find something useful to install...I should mention that the n810 doesn't have an FM tuner. The n800 does, but lacks gps and the hardware keyboard. The n800 is also really ugly, but that didn't stop me from using for a year - but I digress. I don't have a blackberry, so I don't know if there's issues getting them paired. I would think you'd have less issues pairing it with the n95 if that's an option.

Nothing is really jumping out at me as far as something to install...do you listen to podcasts? Spreadsheet application? Sudoku? PIM apps (calendar, todo, etc.)?

slip 2007-12-11 03:33

Unfortunately they haven't yet posted much about the N810 and OS2008, but a good resource is the blog Internet Tablet School (http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/) which is run by one of the other forum members here. Perhaps you have seen it already, but in case you hadn't, I figured I'd suggest it.
(They are waiting for the final public release of OS2008 to do any new updates, but I suspect that a lot of the fundamentals are the same between OS2007 and 2008.)