maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100760)

deutch1976 2019-06-07 06:57

PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more

Interesting news

https://liliputing.com/2019/06/pinep...-and-more.html

kinggo 2019-06-07 08:57

Re: PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more

Yeah..... Could...... Like so many before.....

pichlo 2019-06-07 09:55

Re: PinePhone $149 Linux smartphone could support Ubuntu, Sailfish, Maemo, LuneOS and more

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1557685)
Yeah..... Could...... Like so many before.....

Exactly.

I wanted to learn more anyway, but not through a big splash across the whole page, with only an option to "accept" (no "manage"):

Attachment 40568

pichlo 2019-06-07 10:08

There is absolutely no acceptable reason for a website like that to use cookies.
None at all.

Why?

Let's consider what cookies are for:
  • Remembering me for the next visit
  • Umm... err... that's it!

I can see why TMO and other sites where you sign in may need to remember you. But why would Liliputing need to do that??? They are broadcasting some information. They do not need to know who is reading. If they want to know, then the first obvious question is why.

Killfile, meet Liliputing. Liliputing, meet my killfile.

Halftux 2019-06-07 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557686)

I wanted to learn more anyway, but not through a big splash across the whole page, with only an option to "accept" (no "manage"):

You need to be relatively fast to stop page loading to prevent the annoying message.
Then you can read the article.

pichlo 2019-06-07 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftux (Post 1557688)
You need to be relatively fast to stop page loading to prevent the annoying message.
Then you can read the article.

Thanks, but no, thanks.
I had 7 cookies from them as it is. I did not click "accept". I left the page the moment I got that popup.

Do I want to spend more time on that page? No, thanks.

vitaminj 2019-06-07 13:07

Press "learn more" then "Reject all" then "Save"

With regards to the actual article: hmm, cool, too big for my tastes, but great that it's having stuff ported to it, more hardware options and support is always good. And it looks real and legit and imminent unlike so many other projects!

robthebold 2019-06-07 13:47

This:
  • PostmarketOS is up and running with support for hardware acceleration.
  • A port of LuneOS is under development. It’s an open source operating system based on weBOS.
  • SailfishOS is at least booting.
  • Another developer is working on porting Nemo Mobile with the Glacier UI.
  • Here’s an image showing the Sway tiling Wayland compositor.
  • And here’s a video showing Maemo Leste on the PinePhone dev kit (without hardware acceleration).

. . . and this . . .
  • 5.95 inch, 1440 x 720 pixel LCD display
  • Allwinner A64 quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor
  • Mali 400 MP2 graphics
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB eMMC storage
  • Bootable microSD card
  • USB-C
  • 5MP rear and 2MP front cameras
  • 4G LTE Cat 4 modem
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • GPS/GLONASS
  • 3,000 mAh battery

. . . combined would mean I could boot whatever I need at the time -- or just want to screw around with -- without messing around with some temperamental android multiboot thing that doesn't quite work with everything.

robthebold 2019-06-07 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1557689)
Thanks, but no, thanks.
I had 7 cookies from them as it is. I did not click "accept". I left the page the moment I got that popup.

Do I want to spend more time on that page? No, thanks.

I've got an Imperial Gazillion layers of ad-blocking, and something kept that away, but I think Defender on SFOS is sufficient. Not that it should be required in principle, but the world being what it is it's necessary.

robthebold 2019-06-07 15:03

I spotted this on the UBPorts forum:
Quote:

Granted the pogo pin setup works out, I am pretty sure just about everyone will be thinking of making a keyboard case-back.