maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [WIP] Talefish, directory based audiobook player (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96308)

velox 2016-01-02 00:44

[SFOS] Talefish, directory based audiobook player

https://i.imgur.com/fx1rcDv.png

Talefish is a directory based audio book player.

One of the main goals of Talefish is to provide a place to listen to your audio books separated from the system media library.

Be sure to check out the application options by using the main page pulley menu.

Some of the current features are:
  • Remember listening position – even if you've opened another directory since
  • Custom Playback Speed (within the limits of qml Audio)
  • Metadata support for most common file types
  • Album Cover support for most common file types with fallback for image files in the currently opened directory
  • Skip forward/back by predefined durations or swipe the album cover area to skip to track beginnings
  • Slumber sleep timer integration: Rewind a bit if Talefish is paused by slumber
  • Open files from other applications by using mimer
  • Open files/directories from the command line (-e to enqueue to current Playlist)

Please try it and tell me if you like it (or why you don't)!

You can install it from Openrepos: https://openrepos.net/content/velox/talefish or from the jolla store ("harbour").

Feel free to send pull requests or bug reports on https://github.com/jgibbon/Talefish.

A Transifex page to help our great translation community is available at https://www.transifex.com/velocode/talefish
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p...art/image_png/

pichlo 2016-01-02 15:27

Re: [WIP] Talefish, directory based audiobook player

Yeeeey! Finally! Thank man! The only thing missing is a donation link ;)

velox 2016-01-03 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1493319)
Yeeeey! Finally! Thank man! The only thing missing is a donation link ;)

A thank you like this goes a long way, no donation link necessary. ;) You could hunt down the flattr link on the jolla store page for my sleep timer 'slumber', but that's way too much work.

People on Openrepos showed interest in more file formats, so
Release 2 is out:
  • now lets you open *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4b, *.flac, *.ogg, *.wav files (ability to play should equal system media player)

Let me know if there should be more file extensions allowed (and which ones).

pichlo 2016-01-03 01:06

Sorry, you were right. I always blame other people for failing to confront their assumptions with a reality check and now I fell into the same trap. I found no donation link for one of your apps and assumed there was none for the others too. I checked it out now and you were right again. a Flattr donation requires creating an account. I will have to think about it when it's not 1am and I have not had a couple of drinks. I will probably end up creating one since that seems to be the "official" way of supporting Saifish app developers.

velox 2016-01-03 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1493383)
[…]I checked it out now[…]

Even I was too lazy to dig that out.
Well, now that you've done it I have to, haven't I? It seems to be https://flattr.com/thing/4974623.
But Feedback (or a "thank you" note like yours) is really the best "donation" I can get. I like it when stuff I build for myself turns out to be useful to someone else.

romu 2016-01-03 11:22

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!

At least I can see the cover images for my AAC files. THANK YOU.

Now, some improvement ideas:
1. Being able to open a high level folder, let say "Music", and so being able to browse not by folder, but by Artists and Albums
2. I didn't use too much from now, but I think gesture could be better used..more on this later, as soon as I've been able to run it for few hours.

velox 2016-01-03 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by romu (Post 1493417)
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!

At least I can see the cover images for my AAC files. THANK YOU.

Glad you like it!

Quote:

Now, some improvement ideas:
1. Being able to open a high level folder, let say "Music", and so being able to browse not by folder, but by Artists and Albums

That would be nice to have, but I've got two problems implementing this: I don't use the system-wide media tracker, just list files and don't have access to metadata like artist/album. Also it would require recursive scanning for which I don't know a good user experience (a lot of waiting without much feedback isn't nice). At least the first part should be solveable eventually but it'd take a while, so I'd have to say "maybe I'll have a look at some other time".

Quote:

2. I didn't use too much from now, but I think gesture could be better used..more on this later, as soon as I've been able to run it for few hours.

Yes please, gestures really could be better – looking forward to your ideas.

pichlo 2016-01-03 11:51

Please, please, please no tracker. That is the main advantage of your app over anything else: purely directory based. Whoever wants to sort their albums by metadata can choose one of the myriad alternatives. Please KISS.

velox 2016-01-03 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1493423)
Please, please, please no tracker. That is the main advantage of your app over anything else: purely directory based. Whoever wants to sort their albums by metadata can choose one of the myriad alternatives. Please KISS.

Exactly my thoughts. Also, I just want my Audio books separate from my Music.
What I meant earlier was that I might be able to use some lib to (optionally) read meta data while "scanning" for durations in the (to be honest, far) future.

romu 2016-01-03 17:57

I totally agree to NOT use Tracker too. Didn't think about the consequences of being able to browse by Albums and Artists. Thanks.

romu 2016-01-04 09:07

Small issue: The artist and track being played are not shown on the lockscreen, but controls are.

The Talenfish icon is not explicit enough imho, but that's a matter of taste.

Dave999 2016-01-04 09:25

Great app. Best app for sail.

Schturman 2016-01-04 12:31

Hi. Thanks for app! But I can't open folder from sdcard... It not supported?

pichlo 2016-01-04 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1493610)

/media/sdcard/<sdcad-id>/...

velox 2016-01-04 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1493610)

Should work – if you look closely, the files in my Screenshots (first post) are on my sd card.

Reasons I can think of:
  • Didn't you find the sd card? It's in /media/sdcard/[something] – when opening, you have to tap on the line with the directory name and arrows to go to the parent directory.
  • Were you unable to "accept" the open dialog? This is only possible when there are supported files in the current folder. Files in subdirectories will not be opened. You have to have permissions to read the files.
  • Does it try to open but does not get anywhere after this? Well, that's bad and could be either a bug in my application, corrupt files, background radiation in your area and/or an imminent alien attack.

edit: pichlo was faster with the piece of information that was most likely missing – thanks!

Schturman 2016-01-04 13:15

My files located in /media/sdcard/bla-bla/Audiobooks/Name_of_book/files.mp3.
I can navigate to Name_of_book, thats all..

pichlo 2016-01-04 13:24

I use Talefish for music and my files are in
/media/sdcard/bla-bla/Music/Artist_name/Album_name/files.mp3.
It works like a charm.

velox 2016-01-04 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1493622)
My files located in /media/sdcard/bla-bla/Audiobooks/Name_of_book/files.mp3.
I can navigate to Name_of_book, thats all..

When you're in Name_of_book, tapping the "GlassItem" Indicator top right or swiping the whole page to the left should accept the dialog and open the files in there.

Schturman 2016-01-04 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1493625)
When you're in Name_of_book, tapping the "GlassItem" Indicator top right or swiping the whole page to the left should accept the dialog and open the files in there.

Exactly what I tried to do, but without success. Also tried to rename the book folder name to something short/with and without spaces/symbols. But always the same result...

velox 2016-01-04 16:12

Could you put a Screenshot of the folder view for me on imgur or somewhere and send me the Link via DM? Perhaps I can see something. Spaces etc should not be a problem under normal circumstances. Are the mp3 files visible?
Or… I think I got it… maybe they are named .MP3 instead of .mp3? I'll push an update tonight allowing unusual capitalization of file suffixes.

Schturman 2016-01-04 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1493643)
Could you put a Screenshot of the folder view for me on imgur or somewhere and send me the Link via DM? Perhaps I can see something. Spaces etc should not be a problem under normal circumstances. Are the mp3 files visible?
Or… I think I got it… maybe they are named .MP3 instead of .mp3? I'll push an update tonight allowing unusual capitalization of file suffixes.

Haaaa, you are right ! The mp3 with capital letters "MP3" :D
Waiting for new update ;)

velox 2016-01-04 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1493650)
Haaaa, you are right ! The mp3 with capital letters "MP3" :D
Waiting for new update ;)

Files with uppercase suffixes are now displayed/opened as well with the current build.
Mixed suffixes like *.oGG or *.Mp3 are still ignored (for now?). ;)

Many thanks for reporting,
have fun!

velox 2016-01-04 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by romu (Post 1493589)
Small issue: The artist and track being played are not shown on the lockscreen, but controls are.

The Talenfish icon is not explicit enough imho, but that's a matter of taste.

I will try to find the lock screen issue – at the moment, mpris simply ignores my attempts to set the values.

Heh, I really like the tape icon, but do you have an idea to make it better? Perhaps I like that as well… :)

Schturman 2016-01-04 19:20

Thanks, No it can see and play my files. But now I have another issue..
When I skip forward - app crashed
When first file finished and should start the next one - app crashed
:(

Edit:
After some crashes, I think it start to work....

Another strange thing, when it start "Reading duration" I noticed that on some files instead the time it write "error"...

romu 2016-01-04 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1493655)
Heh, I really like the tape icon, but do you have an idea to make it better? Perhaps I like that as well… :)

It's already such a gift to have this app, I won't dare...and it's your app. The icon won't prevent me to use it :D

velox 2016-01-04 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schturman (Post 1493656)
Thanks, No it can see and play my files. But now I have another issue..
When I skip forward - app crashed
When first file finished and should start the next one - app crashed
:(

Edit:
After some crashes, I think it start to work....

Another strange thing, when it start "Reading duration" I noticed that on some files instead the time it write "error"...

Oh Dear. Hopefully I'll be able to reproduce that in the next days to find a fix. Sorry for the rough start.
Do the files have a duration when you look at the playlist page? And do they work if you tap on them there? If it's always the same files that crash the player, could you send one of them to me?

Tip: To save your changed settings or your position and opened files, close the app normally before it crashes. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by romu (Post 1493660)
It's already such a gift to have this app, I won't dare...and it's your app. The icon won't prevent me to use it :D

Aww, Thanks. That's pretty motivating!

pichlo 2016-01-07 13:40

Looks like I have a bug report too, sorry :(

When I play an album and it's finished, then I open another album and start playing, Talefish starts playing the last song of the previous album even though it already shows the name and time of the first song of the new one. I have to press Pause, rewind to the beginning and press Play again to make it behave.

It is 100% reproducible.

velox 2016-01-07 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1493987)
Looks like I have a bug report too, sorry :(

When I play an album and it's finished, then I open another album and start playing, Talefish starts playing the last song of the previous album even though it already shows the name and time of the first song of the new one. I have to press Pause, rewind to the beginning and press Play again to make it behave.

It is 100% reproducible.

No need to apologize, thanks for reporting as well! Will try to squash some of those bugs on the weekend. :)

Schturman 2016-01-08 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1493666)
Oh Dear. Hopefully I'll be able to reproduce that in the next days to find a fix. Sorry for the rough start.
Do the files have a duration when you look at the playlist page? And do they work if you tap on them there? If it's always the same files that crash the player, could you send one of them to me?

Tip: To save your changed settings or your position and opened files, close the app normally before it crashes. ;)

Hi. Sorry for delay.. I checked playlist and here all trecks shown normally with time. For now it working ok. Thank you!

romu 2016-01-10 19:49

After being able to use it for a couple of album playbacks, here is my main comment: I've the feeling the Talenfish UX is oriented "track playback". For example, you can tap on a track to play it, but you've to "Open Directory" to play the whole album.

That's totally personal, but I would have expected quite the opposite, Talenfish being "album first" instead of track.

My 2 cents.

marmistrz 2016-08-29 11:41

Since it's mostly QML, maybe it'd be worth to put the source on GitHub or so?

velox 2016-12-26 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by romu (Post 1494368)
After being able to use it for a couple of album playbacks, here is my main comment: I've the feeling the Talenfish UX is oriented "track playback". For example, you can tap on a track to play it, but you've to "Open Directory" to play the whole album.

That's totally personal, but I would have expected quite the opposite, Talenfish being "album first" instead of track.

My 2 cents.

The main use case for me was audio books, of which many I have are made into a few, long tracks. So, yes, it's single album/directory focussed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1513789)
Since it's mostly QML, maybe it'd be worth to put the source on GitHub or so?

From another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by karlos devel (Post 1521044)
any plans to Talefish @velox? : )

The problem with talefish is: It's pretty but not a very good app beneath that – and QML only, which does not help in a lot of areas.
If someone convinces me they'd be able (or willing enough to learn) to help, I'll put it on github, but I think some players are just doing a better job.
I don't say I'll never try to do it, but it basically would have to be rewritten to be nice. Currently I have no short term goal to do that (by myself ;) ).

dubliner 2016-12-26 09:14

Happy holidays, everyone. Talefish is a wonderful software.

If I were allowed to make a wish, I'd love to have it somehow tied in with gPodder to "automagically" enqueue podcast downloads in sequence.

So far, I've been adding podcast directories to Talefish. However, those are not necessarily in the right order.

Anyway, velox, you are doing a great job! Many thanks!

gaelic 2016-12-26 12:53

This application is amazing.

Feature Request: can you add a timer which decides to stop playback. Would be nice to have when listening to audiobooks in the evening / in bed.

Sorry, I just now realosed that there's slumber. Integration woukd be nice anyways :)

velox 2016-12-26 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaelic (Post 1521057)
This application is amazing.

Feature Request: can you add a timer which decides to stop playback. Would be nice to have when listening to audiobooks in the evening / in bed.

Sorry, I just now realosed that there's slumber. Integration woukd be nice anyways :)

Slumber was part of Talefish initially, until I realized that having a good sleep timer as a standalone tool for all media players multiplies it's "usefulness per code maintainance" ratio (also: most sleep timers in players are not nice since it always has to be a secondary feature). Because the timer portion was much more mature/useable, I made slumber. It should work pretty seamlessly with Talefish.

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubliner (Post 1521051)

If I were allowed to make a wish, I'd love to have it somehow tied in with gPodder to "automagically" enqueue podcast downloads in sequence.

So far, I've been adding podcast directories to Talefish. However, those are not necessarily in the right order.

I don't think the gpodder integration be easy. But the sorting of directories might be: Have you tried sorting the open dialog by using it's pulley menu?

cheers all, thanks for your appreciation ;)

pichlo 2016-12-26 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1521072)
most sleep timers in players are not nice since it always has to be a secondary feature

I am not convinced with "always" and "has to be". A well integrated sleep timer can, for example, not just cut off in the middle of the word when the time comes. It can, for example, wait for the end of the current track and then gently fade to silence (in case the track ends abruptly). An even better integrated sleep timer can do even more advanced things, like recognise that there is a quiet passage ahead and stop there.

dubliner 2017-01-01 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1521072)
But the sorting of directories might be: Have you tried sorting the open dialog by using it's pulley menu?

Thank you so much for that helpful reply, Velox! As for the pulley menu, indeed I had somehow managed to miss it. Sorry about that. :o

Here is another question, though: Is there a way to add a file or a directory to the established playlist without overwriting the previous choices?

marmistrz 2017-01-01 16:44

velox:
First of all, what's wrong with app being QML-only? What's wrong with the app itself?

I'll hopefully be a Sailfish user from next vacation (if I manage to port it to my phone) so I couldn't make a direct check, but a quick search yields no other audiobook players for SFOS

velox 2017-01-01 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubliner (Post 1521267)
Here is another question, though: Is there a way to add a file or a directory to the established playlist without overwriting the previous choices?

If those new files are at the end of the list of opened files, it should work, because the way Talefish saves the progress is quite simple (some might say stupid). It saves three values of each directory already played, of which only two are really relevant to setting the progress:
  • current index (number of the file in playlist played)
  • duration played in file
  • percentage played in directory (this is only used to display the percentage bars in the open dialog)

While this means you may get weird behaviour if you choose to reopen a directory with different sorting, you should be fine just reopening the directory when adding files at the end. I hope this helps as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1521274)
velox:
First of all, what's wrong with app being QML-only? What's wrong with the app itself?

I'll hopefully be a Sailfish user from next vacation (if I manage to port it to my phone) so I couldn't make a direct check, but a quick search yields no other audiobook players for SFOS

Well, qml is not a bad thing in general. Actually I think it's really nice to do user interfaces and some other things with it. Directory based media handling, for example, sadly is not one of those things*: I haven't found a nice way to query file durations (or any way at all to get file meta data like ID3), so if you open a directory, it has to open each file and hope that it's a valid format that is read within the limits of a "watchdog timeout". For large directories that's taking a while and may even trigger the systems crash handler dialog.
Basically, opening files and searching for matching covers (easter egg: you can put different jpgs named somehow similarly to the corresponding audio files in the opened directory to match them) is just a bunch of more or less dirty hacks put together.

Also: Kudos for trying to port your device!

*) I really would like someone to prove me wrong here!

marmistrz 2017-01-01 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1521277)
Well, qml is not a bad thing in general. Actually I think it's really nice to do user interfaces and some other things with it. Directory based media handling, for example, sadly is not one of those things*: I haven't found a nice way to query file durations (or any way at all to get file meta data like ID3), so if you open a directory, it has to open each file and hope that it's a valid format that is read within the limits of a "watchdog timeout". For large directories that's taking a while and may even trigger the systems crash handler dialog.
Basically, opening files and searching for matching covers (easter egg: you can put different jpgs named somehow similarly to the corresponding audio files in the opened directory to match them) is just a bunch of more or less dirty hacks put together.

Also: Kudos for trying to port your device!

*) I really would like someone to prove me wrong here!

Well, tbh, when I create QML apps, I create everything possible in QML. Often it's much faster to write some QML code than to mess around with the C++ integration, which is not a one-liner. Of course you can't do everything in QML.

As for the concrete case: have you tried doing that in parallel? In QML it was called a WorkerScript or so iirc. Besides, I don't think you have any other way to find out the duration than to query every file unless you use tracker or any other indexer - which you don't want.

Maybe you could use some libmediainfo or so to query the data about the files and something for querying the MIME type (ignore the file if the MIME is bad). You could use a QThread so as to make it parallel. But I guess you can't do much more with QML only.

You really should ask for details on the mailing list or IRC because I don't know which libraries are on SFOS and which not.

As for the image querying, I don't get what you mean.

Anyway, you could simply document the quirks and say: "it's simply all that I need" :)
If someone needs more, they can always fork and implement it themselves and don't have to mess with the boring UI stuff.

/edit: btw. libmediainfo on Arch Linux
Code:

Depends On      : curl  libmms  libzen