maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2nd 770 with the white screen of death (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=2221)

notjaykay 2006-06-18 15:45

2nd 770 with the white screen of death

I'm beyond pissed right now.

Apparnetly Nokia has yet to fix the so called white screen of death on newer units. For those who dont know, these screens tend to break after 5 reboots and basically garble the display with vertical lines/stripes. The good news is that this is a warranty repair and all you have to do is fill out a warranty repair form and mail it off to your local nokia repair center.

My first unit suffered from this phenomenon and I did the whole warranty repair song and dance and about 2 weeks later i received my new unit. According to the letter that was included, they simply swapped out my defective one with a new one.

Well guess what happend today. :mad: Yep, my replacement unit has just developed the same white screen of death just 2 weeks after recieving it. What the crap? So now I have to go through the same damn song and dance again. I"m probably going to call first and complain due to the fact this is my 2nd warranty repair for the same issue and due to the fact I've had this replacement for less than 2 weeks.

Anyone else get hit 2x with this issue?

wiredless 2006-06-18 19:49

Just wonder where your repair center is located?

Invicta 2006-06-18 20:02

Problem with my unit wasn't the screen, but it's the same story. I sent my 770 for repairing and after two weeks I got back different 770. It was broken too and next day I sent it back. It's been over three weeks since I last had my 770. Things break and this is why we have warranty, but I really must wonder do they have any quality check at place where they fix 770's. The unit they sent me was broken so many ways, that turning it on, trying wlan or only looking it should have told them It's not ready to return to customer.

acdczip 2006-06-18 21:17

Did nokia send you a new unit or a refurbished one? The wifi mac address doesn't match the original unit you send in right? I am still waiting for mine to return from the Florida repair shop.

notjaykay 2006-06-18 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiredless
Just wonder where your repair center is located?

I had to send my first one to Texas and I assume this is going there too.

(I'm located in Central Pennsylvania)

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdczip
Did nokia send you a new unit or a refurbished one? The wifi mac address doesn't match the original unit you send in right? I am still waiting for mine to return from the Florida repair shop.

I honestly have no clue. They did include a letter saying that they recieved my dammaged unit and this is a different one. It did have a different MAC address.

In other news, I'm using the same box and crap they sent this one with to send it back. DOOT DOOT!

daverup 2006-06-18 23:27

I just started using a replacement 770 after the "white screen of death" and two week repair wait.
Some interesting notes,
I sent my 770 in its original box with matching mac addy serial number to Arvato in FL as directed by the website form.
My replacement was shipped from Fort Worth TX, in my originals box, I checked the numbers.
So my sending to FL was a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

Nokia needs to get their act together, and fix.the screens!
I think Nokia still does not have a specific service plan for dealing with 770's.
Their service website and customer care unit only seem able to deal with cell phones.

kimmoj 2006-06-19 08:13

I haven't yet had the need to test the support for the 770, but support for other Nokia devices has uniformly been superb. Once I was on a trip abroad in the neighbouring country and my Communicator broke. I called Nokia, they directed me to the closest service point and that service point then took mine, asked if I wanted the content from it preserved (I said no) and then handed me a new one and I was good to go.

Of course, I live in Finland and I was visiting Sweden, so maybe Nokia has a better grip on the service situation this close to home. And of course, that wasn't a 770, either.

Invicta 2006-06-19 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmoj
Of course, I live in Finland and I was visiting Sweden, so maybe Nokia has a better grip on the service situation this close to home.

No they don't.

Terveisiä vaan Salon Matkapuhelinhuoltoon.

NokNok770 2006-06-19 15:25

So are you guys flashing to R&D mode when this happened or it just get like that for no reason? I'm not putting mine in R&D mode, should regular users be worried?

kimmoj 2006-06-19 16:53

R&D mode doesn't enter into it, really, from what I have read (only had mine this past weekend). Someone speculated it's the turning on/off that can do it. Or rather, if the machine is prone to breaking, it may do so when you're flashing and rebooting multiple times to do the R&D mode thing.

I put mine in R&D mode, then fixed the gainroot script so I could gain root without R&D mode, then reflashed back to non-R&D mode and have had no worries thus far (knock on wood.)

All electronics break eventually, just the luck of the draw. I wonder what the percentage is for the 770? One does need to keep in mind that when it breaks, people sound off about it, but when it just works people don't go posting "Mine just works!". :)