maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BlessN900 - better camera for N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65034)

TheJason 2010-11-04 15:38

Re: BlessN900 - better camera for N900

I'm looking forward to using this application, but I think I will heed the warnings of the Extras-devel wiki page.
I've installed the fcam drivers. I will just have to exercise the patience of waiting for the new version to make it's way into the regular repository.
I will be following this thread for updates.
Love the idea of making thin shots with bokeh effect for portraits.

jd4200 2010-11-04 15:46

If you could include functionality to disbale the red LED light then I'd jump on board; I know lfocus does this, but I find it quite buggy.

On a side note, is it possible to disable this through a conf. file?

magullo 2010-11-04 16:23

Love the improvements, and the UI is really good.
Good work.

Flandry 2010-11-04 16:28

This sounds fantastic!

I have a question regarding the zoom: does it achieve better results than taking a normal photo and then cropping/resampling using a quality algorithm? In other words, does it use sensor tricks to get better results than can be achieved in post processing?

If the geotagging will add latitude and longitude if a GPS fix exists without demanding a network connection, it's a huge improvement over the default camera app.

eugene.panich 2010-11-04 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netweaver (Post 863190)
How does the 'shallow' mode work ? Where to take the focus from ? Or is always middle of the screen ? I did some experimenting with holding the focus key and moving slightly away from the focused object but I got not so good results.
Do we have to keep all centered for now ? No spot focus selection possible ? Or next version :D

In 'Shallow Focus' mode the camera auto-focuses as usual. So you should just focus on the subject, as usual. The background should be far enough behind the subject (about 3 or more times further than the subject).

eugene.panich 2010-11-04 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 863394)
TI have a question regarding the zoom: does it achieve better results than taking a normal photo and then cropping/resampling using a quality algorithm? In other words, does it use sensor tricks to get better results than can be achieved in post processing?

Yes, it achieves much better results than upsizing a crop with any algorithm.
It takes a quick sequence of shots, combines the frames and performs so-called super-resolution processing.

Taleydra 2010-11-04 16:43

How does this program compare to fcam?

TiagoTiago 2010-11-04 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taleydra (Post 863413)
How does this program compare to fcam?

fcam is the API, i believe you mean fcamera, one of the example programs for the fcam API

Bratag 2010-11-04 18:46

I have to say I havent touched this app in some time, but the new gui and the quality of photos really impressed me when I tested this new version. Great stuff.

Timothy CHAN 2010-11-05 06:06

Upgraded yesterday. Impressed at first sight. Interface easier to understand. However, quite instable from last version.

It happened once that most of the screen became black out in Shallow mode but returned to normal by switching to other mode. Also several times the screen freezed when half-pressing the shuttor; also resumed normal by switching mode.

Hope there would be another upgrade to fix those bugs before going for vacation end of next week.

Planning to leave digital camera home and to count on the N900 to capture memorable moments.

TC