maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Design (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32935)

claesbas 2009-10-15 21:05

N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one)

3 Attachment(s)
OLD:
After hearing that the boot video of the n900 could be changed I could not resist in doing something alternative for the community. I have no idea where this video is located in the file structure but I am sure someone here can tell. I think I have rendered a correct 800x480 (xvid and mp3) video in a avi container..

UPDATE: Added dark version with new sounds! :-) also an 9hour render with motion blur so the animation is really smooth. It was worth the wait, hehe.. not quite. I removed the penguin. This theme is to dark for a happy penguin.

NEW UPDATE:
(I can't stop tweaking this.. :-)
I now know the meaning of loong render times. Made a flyby camera movement and put it on render over night. I added the components logos in the bottom (if this is a trademark issue again I will delete them) at the end of the video. Lots of After Effects stuff here.. wish I knew Blender. I hear rumours that Apple Shake (old like 2.0 or 3.0) sources was released to some companies. There is a linux version of that. I wish someone stole those and made a open-soruce compositing package ;-).

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDVsx (Post 347925)
It works :D

According to Karoliina:

"As a matter of fact the hildon-welcome is fully configurable.
You don't need to remove/replace the Nokia hands animation file to add your own animation or sound to the startup. Hildon-welcome supports unlimited number of "logo animations" (either video or image+sound) in sequence. It reads all configuration files in the hildon-welcome.d folder and interprets them in alphabetical

Instructions:

1- Copy the video to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media
2- Go to /etc/hildon-welcome.d/ and edit the default.conf file or create a similar one (the videos will play by the alphabetic order of the .conf files)

Matching panoramic wallpapers: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32407

And here are some screenshots of it:

sachin007 2009-10-15 21:06

Re: N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one)

This is awesum!

Quindor 2009-10-15 21:18

I think the video is okay but certainly has more potential! Maybe make the camera move just a bit slower and have a slight bend/turn in it. That would make it even more classy I think. No clue how long the movies can be off course! :S

The audio though actually hurts my ears, make it softer and nicer? Not less loud, just change the tones a bit.

claesbas 2009-10-15 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindor (Post 347810)
I think the video is okay but certainly has more potential! Maybe make the camera move just a bit slower and have a slight bend/turn in it. That would make it even more classy I think. No clue how long the movies can be off course! :S

The audio though actually hurts my ears, make it softer and nicer? Not less loud, just change the tones a bit.

I took it down one octave and it was nice to ears :-) .. thanks for tips. The camera movement could use some nicer movement. Im not so into the animation tools so its alot of trial and error.. but I'll see what I can do..

linuxeventually 2009-10-15 22:33

Bravo, claesbas!

Jack6428 2009-10-15 22:40

i like, i like, i like

lcuk 2009-10-15 22:41

claesbas,

wow

get each of those balls with a very faded logo of the principle components.
the slogan starts with "open source" because that is why we are here.

zerojay 2009-10-15 22:45

Good stuff. Does anyone know for sure if this would actually work at startup or how to apply it?

VDVsx 2009-10-15 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerojay (Post 347907)
Good stuff. Does anyone know for sure if this would actually work at startup or how to apply it?

It works :D

According to Karoliina:

"As a matter of fact the hildon-welcome is fully configurable.
You don't need to remove/replace the Nokia hands animation file to add your own animation or sound to the startup. Hildon-welcome supports unlimited number of "logo animations" (either video or image+sound) in sequence. It reads all configuration files in the hildon-welcome.d folder and interprets them in alphabetical order. "

Instructions:

1- Copy the video to /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media
2- Go to /etc/hildon-welcome.d/ and edit the default.conf file or create a similar one (the videos will play by the alphabetic order of the .conf files)

VDVsx 2009-10-15 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 347921)
Place a properly encoded file in:

/usr/share/hildon-welcome/media

At startup, the system will play all clips in that directory in alphabetical order. The existing clip is "Hands-v32-h264.avi".

Didn't worked for me :). I had to modify the file described in my the post above.

VDVsx 2009-10-16 00:01

The proof ;) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBHDnpSFE0

Reggie 2009-10-16 00:42

Great work! Dark version please. :)

So, can the Nokia hands video be replaced or just play videos one after the other?

Alex Atkin UK 2009-10-16 00:49

I think personally, I would rather delete the lot to save space.

VDVsx 2009-10-16 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 347974)

So, can the Nokia hands video be replaced or just play videos one after the other?

Can be replaced, in my case I created a new .conf file, so the system plays the videos in alphabetical order, but you can just edit the 'default.conf' file and replace 'Nokia hands video' by another one.

abu9al7 2009-10-16 03:34

WAAAAAW ,, that's nice show

But I have a Question , from where did you get the logo of Maemo ? did you redesign it ?

qgil 2009-10-16 04:14

Claesbas, if I was you I would make it 100% community not messing with the Nokia logo and brand. Leave alone that it's a flagrant copyright violation. Use open content for your open intro. Thanks!

PS: abu9al7, thanks for exercising my old and very basic Arabic reading skills in order to find the "Maimu" in your signature. ;)

christexaport 2009-10-16 04:58

what animation software did you use to make that avi? Its amazing. I'm already searching for someone to make one for my community. Awesome! My guys want to know how to make every piece of visual information custom.

R-R 2009-10-16 05:25

Can't wait to figure out how to use some cli avi creating tools to put together some images that would be an animation of this!

mani 2009-10-16 05:30

Awesome !!!

solideogloria 2009-10-16 05:39

is it possible to put this into a .deb so the non-technical users dont have to mess up with config files?

claesbas 2009-10-16 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcuk (Post 347903)
claesbas,

wow

get each of those balls with a very faded logo of the principle components.
the slogan starts with "open source" because that is why we are here.

do you mean to have a maemo logo on each ball? I think the order of the open stuff rings pretty well.. First you have to break patterns and "open you mind", then "open source your stuff", then understand that now "the future is more open". ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 347974)

yea, a dark version would be cool. I will really try to make that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK (Post 347982)
I think personally, I would rather delete the lot to save space.

I usually tweak away all bling bling stuff too. If the n900 was rebooted several times in one day I would not stand a video there. Hopefully this boot screen (nokia nor mine) wont show up very often.. The whole file is 900kb in size. Its quite amazing how modern codecs can squeeze in 130frames in this quality in 7sec there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abu9al7 (Post 348051)
WAAAAAW ,, that's nice show

But I have a Question , from where did you get the logo of Maemo ? did you redesign it ?

I got and used this one:
http://static.maemo.org/static/5/58f...o_org_logo.svg

Quote:

Originally Posted by qgil (Post 348060)
Claesbas, if I was you I would make it 100% community not messing with the Nokia logo and brand. Leave alone that it's a flagrant copyright violation. Use open content for your open intro. Thanks!

Sorry about that! I removed logo and removed old vids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 348070)
what animation software did you use to make that avi? Its amazing. I'm already searching for someone to make one for my community. Awesome! My guys want to know how to make every piece of visual information custom.

3D graphics is made in Cinema4D
Color correction, compositing, text and other effects is then created in After Effects.

Rotkaeqpchen 2009-10-16 07:51

Thanks for that video, will replace it as soon i have my device! :)

rafanto 2009-10-16 08:25

good work ;)

claesbas 2009-10-16 09:37

Managed to get Xvid and lame mp3 working in my virtual machine so now its encoded with freesoftware. As the video imply.

lcuk 2009-10-16 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by claesbas (Post 348130)
do you mean to have a maemo logo on each ball? I think the order of the open stuff rings pretty well.. First you have to break patterns and "open you mind", then "open source your stuff", then understand that now "the future is more open". ;-)

i meant to put the logo for the components on the balls.
i cannot find the slide which shows it, but this is similar
http://static.maemo.org/static/e/e53...ui-runtime.png

this was where the open source thing comes from
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=330630

but really, this is simply awesome as it stands if you don't touch it again it works :)
well done!

claesbas 2009-10-16 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcuk (Post 348241)
i meant to put the logo for the components on the balls.
i cannot find the slide which shows it, but this is similar
http://static.maemo.org/static/e/e53...ui-runtime.png

this was where the open source thing comes from
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=330630

but really, this is simply awesome as it stands if you don't touch it again it works :)
well done!

I like the component idea.. It would be cool if there was a vague text showing in some of the balls with this. Ill see what I can do.. I am now rendering a black/dark version and added some motion blur for a more smooth animation. This however means it renders 9 instances for each frame making it take 6 hours (hehe, on 2.6ghz quad core) for a render. Anyway.. the black one is looking really good.

Open heart sure does have a ring to it too.. I will consider changing when after effects works start.

rcadden 2009-10-16 13:40

Ok, so we'd all like to replace the holding hands crap, right? How about with the fist bump from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X_IegIjUsg

christexaport 2009-10-16 14:11

with a black background. I was thinking the same thing, ricky.

Quindor 2009-10-16 14:34

Getting better and better! :D

Reggie 2009-10-16 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by claesbas (Post 348130)
yea, a dark version would be cool. I will really try to make that.

Definitely! Reflection on a dark shiny floor I think will look great!

I would like to see a firefly version too! The first maemo.org 3D rendering that you made were with fireflies right? :)

Thanks.

GeneralAntilles 2009-10-16 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by solideogloria (Post 348089)
is it possible to put this into a .deb so the non-technical users dont have to mess up with config files?

Yeah, but we're going to want to figure out the optimal way to do that before we just jump in. If somebody wants to write up a control panel applet to select the theme that'd be even better.

christexaport 2009-10-16 16:56

Yeah, I think looking at making startup animation part of a theme by default would be ideal, but will Nokia allow that, or will the community have to make it happen? Any Maemo experts know what we could expect?

claesbas 2009-10-16 18:42

1 Attachment(s)
New dark version! Hehe.. it turned out quite alright just changing the materials there. Link to video file in first post!

zehjotkah 2009-10-16 18:54

yummi... the dark one is even nicer. i like the absence of tux... don't get me wrong, i like tux, but he wasn't on the right place there... don't know how to explain in english...

edit: going to make a bookmark to this thread, to find it easier when my n900 arrives...

claesbas 2009-10-16 18:56

I agree.. he did not fit with the overall feel

jalladin 2009-10-16 18:58

That is Amazing!

Great work claesbus... i wish that were the only thing that popped up during the start up instead of the hands ... maybe a little penguin somewhere too, j/k this is awesome i think the dark color will complement the n900

christexaport 2009-10-16 19:23

I say make Tux peek in from the side inconspicuously, as a hint.

claesbas 2009-10-16 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 348459)
Definitely! Reflection on a dark shiny floor I think will look great!

I would like to see a firefly version too! The first maemo.org 3D rendering that you made were with fireflies right? :)

Thanks.

yea, the fireflye sweeping thing would have been cool. This is done with a wacom pen with pressure sensetivity to fool the depth feel (light stroke far away, harder stroke closer).. its really just simple 2d in photoshop. I don't know how to animate that effect. But these stuff can be made in C4d and After Effects Im quite sure... Thats a mission for the future for now.. :-) ..

lcuk 2009-10-16 19:28

holy crap.
must find way to add 100 thanks.

claesbas 2009-10-16 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDVsx (Post 347951)

Was there some green blink there when it changed video? and is it really smooth? there might be settings I can do in the encoders that makes it better..