maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2016/2017 coding competition notice (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100350)

sulu 2018-06-05 11:51

2016/2017 coding competition notice

Hi,

if you visit talk.maemo.org unregistered, you'll still see the notice about the 2016/2017 coding competition at the very top of each page:
Quote:

Maemo Community e.V. - Call for Donations - Coding Competition
Hello Unregistered,

A long-awaited Coding Competition is just around the corner. We are planning this Competition to happen November 2016 till February 2017.

In order to make the Developer Regatta more interesting it should have a prize pool. There is no fixed amount so all donations are very welcome!

Please find info on the fundraiser HERE

Best regards
Ruediger 'Chemist' Schiller
Maemo Community e.V.
I'm sure most of you have clicked that notice away and the rest (like me) has probably adapted to ignore it, but I still find that such an outdated notice creates a bad impression - especially if it's placed so prominently.
I believe the easiest solution would be to simply hold another coding competition for 2018/2019. That way, only the two numbers in the current notice would have to be replaced. ;)

Merienth 2018-06-05 14:28

Re: 2016/2017 coding competition notice

The notice is still there, even if you are registred just simply didn't bother to click the notice away. Seems like throughout the years my brain learned to ignore that part of the page comletely. :)

sulu 2018-06-05 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merienth (Post 1545146)
The notice is still there, even if you are registred just simply didn't bother to click the notice away. Seems like throughout the years my brain learned to ignore that part of the page comletely. :)

Same here. I just clicked it away when creating this thread, so I assumed everyone else has either done that a long time ago, or has become blind for it.

ThomasAH 2018-06-05 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merienth (Post 1545146)

... wow. You can actually close the announcement? :o I'd never noticed the little 'x' in the top right corner.

Thanks so much. It's finally gone! :)

Tsippaduida 2018-06-05 16:25

Yeah, one sucker (me) did not bother read properly that notice on December 2017, so i transferred small amount of funds for competition which was had ended more than half a year ago. Thanks for the closing tip. Gone for now for me.

peterleinchen 2018-06-05 20:51

Personally I do not mind that outdated notice (as I clicked it away long time ago). But I do get reminded of it from time to time when opening TMO unregistered.
I believe it is just lack of time (and/or experience/rights of people still active).
It is true, it should be either removed. Or changed to 2018/19 :)

But what I really find annoying is that the power search does not work anymore (Google API v1 deprecate, changed to v2). Anyone experienced in web/html should get the change done pretty fast, or?

pichlo 2018-06-05 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1545164)
what I really find annoying is that the power search does not work anymore

"Anymore"? Are you saying it ever worked? I never used it myself, because wherever I tried, on whatever browser, ever in my life, it has always led to a blank page. Curiously, the only browser it has ever worked with is the stock browser on my daughter's old Android tablet.

juiceme 2018-06-06 03:57

I remember using it a lot some years back, so it must have worked at that time unless I'm getting a bit flaky :D

peterleinchen 2018-06-06 06:02

Oh yes it worked like a charm (until end of last year?).

@pichlo
are you talking about the 'normal' search on top of page?
Or the power search on the right side.

Of course one may open google and type keywords together with (talk.)maemo.org. But as said a bit annoying. And sad!

velox 2018-06-06 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1545164)
But what I really find annoying is that the power search does not work anymore (Google API v1 deprecate, changed to v2). Anyone experienced in web/html should get the change done pretty fast, or?

I'm what most people call a web guy and could support a bit.

I have not worked with the new custom search, but a (really) quick glance at the documentation revealed that there could be some advantages to register as a non-profit at google if there's interest in doing so. PM me and I'll investigate further so we can continue via Mail.

cheers!