maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] [Announcement] Native call recorder available now (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94089)

dpurgin 2014-10-30 02:58

[Announcement] Native call recorder available now

Hi,

A new version of the native call recording application for SailfishOS is publicly available now. Current version is 0.6.1. I've put it onto openrepos.net and my personal page on github.io.

Please note that it requires SailfishOS >= 1.1.2, otherwise it won't record any calls.

Up-to-date information on usage, known issues and troubleshooting is available at project wiki.

Approximate release dates and planned features are available at Milestones page.

The 0.6.1 is a minor update. New features are:
  • Landscape orientation (#28).

Bug fixes are:
  • Length displayed incorrectly for recordings over an hour in length (#34).

Other notable changes:
  • Danish translation (new);
  • Finnish translation complete;
  • Slovak translation (new).

Known issues:
  • Greek translation is incomplete;
  • Hebrew translation was submitted but there's a Hebrew font lacking in SailfishOS, and no tests were held for RTL languages.

Please help to translate the call recorder to your language at Transifex.

Please feel free to ask any questions not covered by the wiki mentioned above, propose new features, tell how to improve existing ones.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Dmitriy

UPDATED AT 19 SEP 2015

coderus 2014-10-30 09:16

Re: [Announcement] Native call recorder available now

Used your callrecorder v0.1-1, just updated to v0.2-2. Thank you for your good work! Flac is awesome!

Application doesnt record incoming sound when using headphones, but it's probably not your fault.
Just one request: removing recordings, please :)

ste-phan 2014-10-30 09:46

[QUOTE=dpurgin;1445096]Nevertheless it does what it has to do - records all incoming and outgoing voice calls.

Please feel free to ask any questions not covered by the document mentioned above, propose new features, tell how to improve existing ones./QUOTE]

First a big thank you for focusing on the completion of the basic features of a telecom centered device!

(remembering this discussion: It could not be done but that's ok because its a security feature not to record calls)

Future feature request:

one of the shortcomings of N900 call recorders (Recaller and Orechiette) is that they do not record SIP calls.

Jolla has already provided an easy solution to the issue by not including integrated SIP support. Thus effectively breaking with an excellent Nokia telephone tradition that was still alive in the spiritual Sailfish predecessors Maemo & Harmattan.

Suppose the issue of SIP get fixed by community or by Jolla, do you see a possibility to support call recordings over the whole line?

Another desirable feature would be the ability to assign only certain numbers from the contact list to be recorded.

explit 2014-10-30 13:42

For me working fine. No problem with switching to bt headset during the call. The whole call is recorded. backend working perfect. would be fine to polish frontend, delete recordings from the ui etc. many thanks from Berlin!

coderus 2014-10-30 14:11

i'm using wired headphones, not headsets, and not wireless :)

dpurgin 2014-10-30 16:59

Hi all,

thanks for all your comments.

Regarding recording while switched to headphones
I'm onto it and seems like just didn't get far enough last time. In some sense it is the issue on the pulseaudio side but it actually can be worked around (at least the way I think of works with plain pacmd calls). I'll try it in harbour-callrecorder this weekend and see what happens.

Regarding VoIP calls
harbour-callrecorder currently focuses on GSM calls only. I don't use VoIP, so totally don't know what's happening there. But I can surely look into it in the future as soon as there will be software/services for it.

[B]UI functionality, features, etc[B]
Anything you ask, guys :) I've added all the requests I've seen to github issue tracker, feel free to add yours.

explit, thanks for info regarding BT headset, I didn't know it worked, adding it to README. Würde gerne einmal Berlin besuchen.

Another thing that needs to be tested -- multiparty calls. I never had a chance to do it and check what's going on the system.

Please keep using, proposing, advising, criticising

Thanks

tvicol 2014-10-31 10:36

I have a problem with enabling service at boot. This fail every time :
[nemo@Jolla ~]$ systemctl --user enable harbour-callrecorderd
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
[nemo@Jolla ~]$

However I'm able to start the service and use the application.
[nemo@Jolla ~]$ systemctl --user status harbour-callrecorderd
harbour-callrecorderd.service - Call Recorder Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/harbour-callrecorderd.service; disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-10-31 12:26:12 EET; 8min ago
Main PID: 3699 (harbour-callrec)
CGroup: /user.slice/user-100000.slice/user@100000.service/harbour-callrecorderd.service
└─3699 /usr/bin/harbour-callrecorderd

[nemo@Jolla ~]$

tvicol 2014-10-31 11:02

1 Attachment(s)
My attempt for a different icon ...

coderus 2014-10-31 12:10

@tvicol service started and enabled automatically during installation for me.

dpurgin 2014-10-31 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvicol (Post 1445262)
I have a problem with enabling service at boot. This fail every time :
[nemo@Jolla ~]$ systemctl --user enable harbour-callrecorderd
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory

Hi,

did you try reboot the phone or do

Code:

$ systemctl --user daemon-reload
If it didn't help, can you please do:

Code:

$ pkcon install strace
$ strace -o ~/strace.log systemctl --user enable harbour-callrecorderd

and send strace.log here

tvicol 2014-10-31 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1445268)

For me as well, but after next reboot the service is no longer started and can not be enabled from cli.

jpel 2014-10-31 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1445268)

Yes, it was enabled and started automatically after installation for me too, but after reboot it didn't start automatically and i got exactly same symptoms as @tvicol when enabling and starting it manually....

dpurgin 2014-10-31 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvicol (Post 1445273)
For me as well, but after next reboot the service is no longer started and can not be enabled from cli.

Can you please do basically the same what systemctl enable does and check if it works

Code:

$ ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/user/harbour-callrecorderd.service' '/home/nemo/.config/systemd/user/user-session.target.wants/harbour-callrecorderd.service'

Kabouik 2014-11-02 17:37

Awesome. It was one of the features I missed the most on Sailfish. Too bad it arrives like one month after I had some very important calls to record. :)

coderus 2014-11-02 17:41

@Kabouik tool was available for a while, but only Uitukka enabled possibility of call recording
@jpel @tvicol it working after reboot also with no any problems

Ancelad 2014-11-02 18:00

It works pretty nice on my Jolla, even after reboot.

juiceme 2014-11-02 19:51

@dpurgin, have you tried building call recorder withSailfishOS-SDK -Beta-1410?
I have problems building it, so am just wondering if you used an older SDK (like Alpha-1407 for example)

Update:
Yes, I tested building callrecorder on a different machine having older SDK (Alpha-1310 which is really really ancient, over a year old) and it builds OK there.
Apparently there are issues using the recommended SDK version for Uitukka, even as the requirement for the running environment for callrecorder is Uitukka :eek:

dpurgin 2014-11-03 02:47

If the service doesn't start automatically

Try

Code:

$ mkdir -p /home/nemo/.config/systemd/user/user-session.target.wants
$ ln -s '/usr/lib/systemd/user/harbour-callrecorderd.service' '/home/nemo/.config/systemd/user/user-session.target.wants/harbour-callrecorderd.service'

This is the same as 'systemctl --user enable' does. If it worked, the following command outputs 'loaded (...; enabled)' on the second line and the service will start automatically upon reboot:

Code:

$ systemctl --user status harbour-callrecorderd
Please report if it worked for you.

juiceme, the app was built and tested against SDK 1407. Didn't try 1410 yet since Jolla told it should be primarily used to fix applications not working with update9. harbour-callrecorder requires a new pulseaudio module from update9 to be loaded, that's all, the build dependencies are pretty standard. You can successfully compile and run the recorder on an older version of SailfishOS, you will just hear yourself on the recording, that's all :)

juiceme 2014-11-03 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpurgin (Post 1445533)
juiceme, the app was built and tested against SDK 1407. Didn't try 1410 yet since Jolla told it should be primarily used to fix applications not working with update9. harbour-callrecorder requires a new pulseaudio module from update9 to be loaded, that's all, the build dependencies are pretty standard. You can successfully compile and run the recorder on an older version of SailfishOS, you will just hear yourself on the recording, that's all :)

Allright, thought so :)
I'll check the dependencies again, and if I figure out a nice project setting that works OK for both newer and older SDK's (well a missing dependency really) I can send you a pull request later...

tvicol 2014-11-05 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpurgin (Post 1445533)
If the service doesn't start automatically

Try

Code:

$ mkdir -p /home/nemo/.config/systemd/user/user-session.target.wants

This is the same as 'systemctl --user enable' does. If it worked, the following command outputs 'loaded (...; enabled)' on the second line and the service will start automatically upon reboot:

Code:

$ systemctl --user status harbour-callrecorderd
Please report if it worked for you.

After creating directory "user-session.target.wants" I was able to link service and now is starting automatically at every reboot.

Thank you for your grea support, dpurgin !

dpurgin 2014-11-17 15:08

Hi all,

please refer to the top post, an update 0.3 for the call recorder is available now.

Cheers
Dmitriy

TemeV 2014-11-18 19:12

I was trying to remove some of the recordings (by selecting them and then deleting), but now they are all gone. Well, luckily I had nothing important there.

dpurgin 2014-11-19 03:20

TemeV, have you by chance selected 'Delete all' from the pull-down menu? If not, could you please describe a bit more what happened. Did remorse popup (a progress bar on the top allowing to cancel) last 10 secs? How many recordings were there in total (approximately) and how many were you willing to delete? Did you select them sparsely or adjacently? Were they on the same page or some of selected were scrolled off to invisible area?

Thanks

TMavica 2014-11-19 05:16

unable tick auto startup in setting

dpurgin 2014-11-19 06:47

TMavica, did you check the Troubleshooting section in README?

coderus 2014-11-19 09:47

@dpurgin can you build new package for fixed pulseaudio please?

dpurgin 2014-11-19 09:54

@coderus, if you mean this, AFAIK there's no fix yet. Can you please try version 0.3, it has the workaround for recording from headset.

coderus 2014-11-19 09:58

this one: https://github.com/mer-hybris/pulsea...4a6189d4759e7e
compiled by jusa: http://up.hilvi.org/pulseaudio-modul...-1.armv7hl.rpm

dpurgin 2014-11-19 10:06

Did you check whether version 0.3 did work for you? It is essentially the same.

coderus 2014-11-19 12:26

you know 0.3 is working well for me ;)
You mean with this fix it will continue loosing seconds of audio stream while switching sources?

dpurgin 2014-11-19 13:20

No, it won't but afaik the latest version doesn't already. I think you're still having a previous release of 0.3? The most recent one is 0.3-5.

coderus 2014-11-19 14:23

i had build you gave me privately when fixing sources switching and updated to 0.3-5 recently also :))

dpurgin 2014-11-19 17:14

Well, just to make clear we're talking about the same thing...

From what I see and experienced myself, for that delay the main issue was not the switching delay itself but the effect it caused.

I think if you switch while on call you won't suffer anyway, there's time to take the phone off your ear, tap a button, hear that something's changing and so on. You might have heard these switches, but it's natural not to talk until you hear stable sound from headset/loudspeaker/BT/earpiece. I don't know about you or others but I usually warn the other side that I'm going to speaker/headset/BT and check if they hear me after switching :) I did this all the time, always, even without an application that may break something (fortunately, it doesn't).

So the main concern about the delay in older versions was that this delay occured also at the beginning of conversation, so if you called someone and he or she was quite quick, you might have not heard them saying 'hello'.

With the latest version 0.3-5 this switching delay was reduced to be as minimal as possible, so now it depends only on how quick pulseaudio does the actual switching and propagates the event. From my experience it's quite seamless. None of calls I made this week and a half started without me hearing 'hello', although some of them were on Bluetooth which turned out to be pretty slow in switching.

With Jusa's patch it should take less time and effort to switch the profile (I didn't check yet), but at the end of the day you end up with the same result. I will surely make the change as soon as this code goes public, but Jusa himself told it would be the next OS update after the upcoming one.

Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to say

pichlo 2014-11-23 21:54

An interesting observation. Even more interesting that no one has reported it before:

I made a few test calls to the same number (the remainng credit check), then opened Call Recorder and deleted one from the list. I must add that the credit check calls were the only items on the list. The moment I deleted one, a big "No calls recorded yet" appeared in the middle of the screen, even though there were entries still on the list. Taping on one of them did not do anything. Neither did a long tap. Closing and re-opening Call Recorder fixed it.

EDIT: A bit more experimenting. The effect seems quite curious and difficult to describe accurately. An example - I have 2 calls on the list, make a 3rd one (with Call Recorder open) and - "No calls recorded yet" appears. I delete one - so that 2 remain - and the top remaing one reacts to the tap but the bottom one doesn't. Or vice-versa.

coderus 2014-11-23 22:22

@dpurgin my situation is following. i'm talking using loudspeaker and then connecting headphones, and i dont hear this moment of switching. with switching on call start i can live of course, because it usually just a "Hello". Just ping me when you'll have build for new module, i;ll test it. And yes, this will be very useful for me, not just for fun entertainment.

dpurgin 2014-11-24 04:09

@pichlo, thanks for reporting! It is 100% reproduced whn deleting the recordings one by one in main page and it raises when only one recording is left on the list. It seems to be an issue of having the small number of recordings and likely doesn't affect the storage.

I've added it as issue to github

@coderus no problem, I'll make a branch for you as soon as I have some spare time

coderus 2014-12-14 13:44

@dpurgin i have a bad report for you. After recording a call with callrecorder android apps can't record microphone anymore.

dpurgin 2014-12-15 03:06

@coderus thanks for the report, can you please tell the exact application which doesn't? As you know, I don't use Android apps, so can't go with 'any' app :-)

coderus 2014-12-15 06:36

Shazam, SoundHound for example :)

dpurgin 2014-12-16 16:17

@coderus I checked and it turned out to be not an issue of the call recorder app itself, but the issue of switching to voicecall-record profile. It is reproduced with plain pacmd calls as well: the source.primary gets removed from pulseaudio and is being readded after that, so default source is assigned to source.fake.sco which obviously doesn't contain any data. Android VM doesn't seem to manage PA sources and uses the default one. The dirtiest workaround I came up with is issuing the following command when you need mic recording in android:

$ pacmd set-default-source source.primary

Thanks for digging it out, I'll contact Jusa on that.