maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Free Sygic for N900 users? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=47757)

jorjino 2010-03-19 09:17

Nokia should give us a free Sygic GPS copy

Hello guys!

I have an idea how Nokia can excuse all N900 users about mislead advertisement that N900 has good and usable OVI maps apps.

As all you know now, over five months from start shipping of the device we still do not have working GPS program! There are some GPS apps in repos, but neither one is usable at this moment.

So, I suggest - Nokia to give us Sygic GPS software for FREE.

Please give me your opinion and should we make a brainstorm about this topic.

Regards.

therock 2010-03-19 09:23

Re: Free Sygic for N900 users?

not for it.. respect for sygic for putting a lot of effort in getting it on the maemo platform so i think they should be paid for the development resources put into it

jorjino 2010-03-19 09:27

@therock,

My idea is Nokia to pay to Sygic and give us GPS Sygic software for free.
I am totally confident that Sygic did hard job, also they had lost from delay of OVI-payed version.

der_stefan 2010-03-19 09:29

If you want turn yourself into a clown, feel free to do so.

By the way - i used ovi maps serveral times as navigation - and it worked. Not as good as sygic, but it worked.

spanner 2010-03-19 09:32

I must admit: I had a lingering hope that the Sygic delay & refusal to release independently of Nokia was the result of a deal to provide N900 with free navigation software.

Obviously that's not going to happen now that Sygic are selling to the public, and it was my last hope of getting a freebie. I don't think that Nokia will honour the "free navigation" pledge any other way. (Just a hunch)

Lazarpandar 2010-03-19 09:35

The N900 does have usable maps, you're just comparing it to amazing map applications.

Also words like great, amazing, and usable aren't explicitly defined in this context, so they can be used ALMOST regardless of the application. I say almost because if it literally was unusable -- i.e. crashed every two minutes, or there weren't any maps available -- then it would matter, and then it would warrant a forum post like this.

This is just another case of a user thinking he or she is entitled to more than they really are. I'm sorry certain features weren't up to your expectations.

jorjino 2010-03-19 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarpandar (Post 573018)
I say almost because if it literally was unusable -- i.e. crashed every two minutes, or there weren't any maps available -- then it would matter, and then it would warrant a forum post like this.
This is just another case of a user thinking he or she is entitled to more than they really are. I'm sorry certain features weren't up to your expectations.

First of all please do not say that I am a clown or "entitled to more than they really are"!!!
You do not know who I am as a person, education, status!

This forum, I think, is for giving ideas for improvements, and not for offend each others. I suppose...

So, I still think that present version of OVI Maps in N900 is still unusable. There is no possibility for making POI, km/h announcements, etc. Also there is no possibility to find a working GPS program as Garmin, Tom Tom or else for N900, because of Nokia.

Please do not act rude, because we are not here to share bad attitude and to express personal bad feelings.

Regards.

johnel 2010-03-19 10:07

Why should Nokia buy as all Sygic maps?

I'm all for free software and open-source software but not "freeloading"!

I would rather Nokia invest their resources into the n900 and maemo/MeeGo rather that a third-party product.

Besides, hopefully we'll get free OVI maps eventually. Symbian users got it and I think it is reasonable we should get it too.

Then again, I never bought the n900 for navigation so either way not too bothered.

ZootHornRollo 2010-03-19 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjino (Post 573001)
Hello guys!

I have an idea how Nokia can excuse all N900 users about mislead advertisement that N900 has good and usable OVI maps apps.

As all you know now, over five months from start shipping of the device we still do not have working GPS program! There are some GPS apps in repos, but neither one is usable at this moment.

So, I suggest - Nokia to give us Sygic GPS software for FREE.

Please give me your opinion and should we make a brainstorm about this topic.

Regards.

...and then i'm going to tell my car manufacturer to retrospetively put in the cruise control i wrongly assumed my car came with.

jorjino 2010-03-19 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnel (Post 573041)
I'm all for free software and open-source software but not "freeloading"!

Besides, hopefully we'll get free OVI maps eventually. Symbian users got it and I think it is reasonable we should get it too.

Then again, I never bought the n900 for navigation so either way not too bothered.

I am also for open code software, but there is no such GPS app at this moment.

We all hope to receive OVI Maps in N900 .................:D