maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Nokia signs brand and intellectual property licensing agreement with HMD global (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96752)

JiiHoo 2016-05-18 09:21

Nokia signs brand and intellectual property licensing agreement with HMD global

Just spotted news about this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hmd-gl...090000315.html

http://globenewswire.com/news-releas...d-tablets.html

HMD global? Never heard about that myself.

Dave999 2016-05-18 09:29

Re: Nokia signs brand and intellectual property licensing agreement with HMD global

Well, that is probobly becouse it's just created to be responsible if the buissniess goes south... :D

Just another shell to protect Nokia asset and brand.

JulmaHerra 2016-05-18 09:37

Re: Nokia signs brand and intellectual property licensing agreement with HMD global

From what I can interpret from news....

Microsoft is going to sell it's dumbphone business, including manufacturing, sales and distribution to Foxconn, or more precisely, FIH Mobile Limited which is one of it's subsidiaries. HMD Global Oy is a new company, which has signed a deal with Nokia Technologies for exclusive rights for Nokia trademark in mobile phones and tablets for ten years. Additionally, there is a tentative agreement with Microsoft to use Nokia trademark and certain design features in dumbphones. It would be interesting to know who are the investors behind HMD Global.

To spice up the spaghetti, HMD has signed a deal with FIH to support and develop the global sales effort of Nokia branded devices. :)

And as everyone probably guessed, the devices will be based on Android.

Edit: some additional information... HMD is founded in 11/2015, registered in Finland. Mostly run by former Nokia- and Microsoft executives, the future CEO Arto Nummela is currently leading some Asian and African mobile operations in Microsoft and chairman of the board is Florian Seiche, from Microsoft Mobile. Biggest owners are Smart Connect LP fund, lead by former Nokia executive Jean-Francois Brail and the board of directors of HMD.

beobachter 2016-05-18 10:13

Would not be so sure it will be Android only.

chenliangchen 2016-05-18 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by beobachter (Post 1505697)
Would not be so sure it will be Android only.

That's probably the only choice. They won't go back to WM10 after Lumia Fiasco. They won't develop another OS and won't even attempt. Jolla is too small and not ready yet as they are targeting to the mainstream. Android makes perfect sense.

Foxkia 2016-05-18 11:43

returns a king

Foxkia 2016-05-18 11:56

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-...s-and-tablets/

JiiHoo 2016-05-18 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1505703)
That's probably the only choice. They won't go back to WM10 after Lumia Fiasco. They won't develop another OS and won't even attempt. Jolla is too small and not ready yet as they are targeting to the mainstream. Android makes perfect sense.

Well, Android is definitely their choice with smartphones. But how about feature/dumb phones?

lantern 2016-05-18 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxkia (Post 1505704)
returns a king

you wish_____

Foxkia 2016-05-18 12:22

[QUOTE=JiiHoo;1505708 But how about feature/dumb phones?[/QUOTE]

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/micros...o-hmd-foxconn/

chenliangchen 2016-05-18 13:08

I didn't quite get the point why so many folks here still getting excited/pissed about what Nokia is doing.

It's been discussed million times and we really don't care what Nokia will release under whatever name. Really don't care. Will you be excited about the release of a random Chinese Android phone? Why the hyper if this phone has a Nokia logo?!

To us Nokia was dead on 2011. End of story.

gerbick 2016-05-18 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxkia (Post 1505704)
returns a king

This "king" has been whored out and depleted. Fit to be buried.

ibrakalifa 2016-05-18 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1505715)
I didn't quite get the point why so many folks here still getting excited/pissed about what Nokia is doing.

It's been discussed million times and we really don't care what Nokia will release under whatever name. Really don't care. Will you care about the release of a random Chinese Android phone? Why the hyper if this phone has a Nokia logo?!

I admire you...really
But if nokia bring back meego/maemo i would like to say 'welcome back the king"
And if another droid comes...it means they're dead, just IMHO
No offense, and have a nice day everybody

chenliangchen 2016-05-18 14:46

Can we add the word "nokiapoweruser" into our spam filter? :)

robthebold 2016-05-18 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1505723)
Can we add the word "nokiapoweruser" into our spam filter? :)

Even for fanboys they are a little over the top there, aren't they? "HMD global Oy is Nokia’s strategical masterstroke & ensures Nokia quality & feel in future devices"? Wow. Just wow.

aegis 2016-05-18 15:11

Quote:

It's been discussed million times and we really don't care what Nokia will release under whatever name. Really don't care. Will you be excited about the release of a random Chinese Android phone? Why the hyper if this phone has a Nokia logo?!

Did somebody appoint you spokesperson for the group?

Personally, I've not got a problem with another Android phone, and they're all pretty much of Chinese origin these days.

If it's interesting, like Nokia of old, then it's in with a shout for me when I come to buy my next Android phone. What's wrong with choice?

ViBE 2016-05-18 15:23

i don't think they want to/can continue their own flavour. any other "solution" make me more disappointed. Android is a serious lol.

m4r0v3r 2016-05-18 15:34

Quote:

your right.

Realistically what is Nokia to people? Is it everything the N900 embodied? The community, the hackerism it attracted and the fact it was years ahead of its time?

because if so, elop killed that in one swift movement at the release of the n9.

is it the sturdy devices with decent build quality? because theres plenty of those.

what does the Nokia name really mean now?

chenliangchen 2016-05-18 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegis (Post 1505727)
Did somebody appoint you spokesperson for the group?

Personally, I've not got a problem with another Android phone, and they're all pretty much of Chinese origin these days.

If it's interesting, like Nokia of old, then it's in with a shout for me when I come to buy my next Android phone. What's wrong with choice?

I'm talking about the majority here, nothing can represent everyone but I'm quite confident for the majority.

What you mentioned has been discussed many many many times in this forum already. Of course you have your freedom to appreciate whatever phone you like, what sickens me/the rest of us is whatever Nokia announce for licencing its brand, there will be SAME discussion again and again.

And we (apart from you maybe) all know this phone will be BORING. Not worth starting over again and again.

pichlo 2016-05-18 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1505730)
what does the Nokia name really mean now?

To maybe 3 or 4 people on this forum, nostalgia.
To the rest, a synonym of the word failure.

mikecomputing 2016-05-18 20:22

Apple is dead

www.rzr.online.fr 2016-05-18 21:56

http://company.nokia.com/en/our-busi...es/hello-again

The new smartphones and tablets will be based on Android, uniting one of the world’s iconic mobile brands, Nokia, with the leading mobile operating system and app development community.

woody14619 2016-05-19 01:13

Nokia logo on a new phone? I'm sure that would be like a Polaroid logo on a new camera. (Or tablet, or turntable...

Poor Nokia. This is like watching a Mick Jagger concert... being concerned the whole time about them breaking a hip while performing.

JulmaHerra 2016-05-19 07:38

So much doom and gloom again....

It's not that bad actually, for Nokia it's not risky as they don't have to put a dime into it. Also, if executed correctly there is a chance "new Nokia" might have a chance. Currently in Android phone market there are tons of cheap phones that boast in certain specs but lack in durability, attention to detail and especially software support - either you don't get fixed versions in time, or you may not get them at all after something like one year. Another thing is that the devices are huge in size and mostly only copy each other. So, if they manage to design something to differentiate from that, pay attention to detail and guarantee timely updates for longer period of time it may not be that doomed attempt.

Peter@Maemo Marketing 2016-05-19 08:42

1) Having Foxconn build the device=SmartMove
2) Putting two sales veterans with connections to key operators worldwide into charge=VerySmartMove
3) Taking some design patents(hopefully iconic fabula design from N9)=HeroMove
4) Building on Android=IFYouCan'tFightItFromOutsideFightItFromIns ide
5) Having a logistics veteran sit on the private equity firm owning HMD=SuspiciousOnOperationalInfluenceButNotBad
6) Obsession over 1 unique selling point=AbsolutMustToHangAround for MoreThan5Years

ibrakalifa 2016-05-19 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing (Post 1505782)
1) Having Foxconn build the device=SmartMove
2) Putting two sales veterans with connections to key operators worldwide into charge=VerySmartMove
3) Taking some design patents(hopefully iconic fabula design from N9)=HeroMove
4) Building on Android=IFYouCan'tFightItFromOutsideFightItFromIns ide
5) Having a logistics veteran sit on the private equity firm owning HMD=SuspiciousOnOperationalInfluenceButNotBad
6) Obsession over 1 unique selling point=AbsolutMustToHangAround for MoreThan5Years

Epic=HeroOfTheDay

Peter@Maemo Marketing 2016-05-19 09:15

One of the interesting questions is whether Arto (future CEO of HMD) will be listening in regards to differentiation to key operators (good for building critical sales volume) or to consumers (building customer loyalty and Word Of Mouth).

BTW, the Nokia N9 UI was never licensed (not to Jolla, not to anybody else to my knowledge). That's why Jolla had to go back to Harmattan framework and redo a foxy UI. Imagine, HMD would have the license to the N9 UI, the Swipe UI, and would tell to Foxconn to leave a developer/root option on the device?

Peter@Maemo Marketing 2016-05-19 09:30

And on that "Thank You" note from stskeeps, they should subcontract Carsten Munk to help them to sign up the community. It never hurts to have a bunch of loyal friends (even on Android) when you are only a sales canon.

Peter@Maemo Marketing 2016-05-19 09:38

And since I'm filling this thread already all on my own...

Key people for HMD to recruit in order to succeed in design: Axel Meyer (the man pretty much behind the N9 industrial design; emerging first on Nokia N8, then on the N9-00, or what was meant to be the N9 at first, the N950, and finally on the N9-01 itself after somebody reshuffled the Nx portfolio and decided that the slide and tilt form factor is dead.

Another one to recruit is Otso Koski (now designing Ozo camera), even that he isn't the initial designer of the N9 UI, he very much knows it inside out.

juiceme 2016-05-19 09:40

Nice ideas, however when probablities are considered in reality when a device appears to market, it will be;
  • Foxconn reference HW design (typical Chinese cheap android lookalike)
  • Android base modified with some quick & dirty interface modification
  • Locked boot loader without developer access
  • No AOSP version available, no possibility to install own roms
  • Visible "NOKIA" logo in lage font

Peter@Maemo Marketing 2016-05-19 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1505792)
Nice ideas, however when probablities are considered in reality when a device appears to market, it will be;
  • Foxconn reference HW design (typical Chinese cheap android lookalike)
  • Android base modified with some quick & dirty interface modification
  • Locked boot loader without developer access
  • No AOSP version available, no possibility to install own roms
  • Visible "NOKIA" logo in lage font

I agree partially. I do agree that it is likely to be a cheap Chinese look-alike. Yes, UI/app customisation will be non-existing beyond plausible excuse for first device because of time-to-market and pressure to launch in early 2017. However, having worked with Arto Nummela, I doubt he will go for just any industrial design. Arto has worked on industrial designs for US operators and some of them were much sexier than the stuff we did for the rest of the world such as Nokia Lumia Icon (if I'm not mistaken).

chemist 2016-05-19 10:41

Share, like, comment, maybe #nokiaback2maemo https://twitter.com/dostortugas/stat...45688524443648

We need to get loud about this!

Peter@Maemo Marketing 2016-05-19 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemist (Post 1505798)
Share, like, comment, maybe #nokiaback2maemo https://twitter.com/dostortugas/stat...45688524443648

It would be more realistic to ask for a Maemo UI/Community mode in Android OS than asking for Harmattan to make a comeback. Foxconn/HMD will not to do it. There is no money in doing such a thing IMHO (Jolla tried, and tried, and is still trying burning cash).

Well, I liked the tweet anyway.

Foxkia 2016-05-19 12:09

DJCBS

1 - HMD, the company who has the global rights to the Nokia-branded phones, is a FINNISH company;

2 - Nokia holds a seat on HMD's board and has the ultimate saying on pretty much any phone made. It controls designs, quality, technology, consumer experience etc;

3 - the manufacturing will be done in partnership with Foxconn. Which is exactly what pretty much everyone else is doing, from Apple to Sony, including Microsoft itself (Foxconn builds the Xbox One in case you didn't know that).

4 - HMD's CEO is an ex-Nokia veteran. HMD's employees are ex-Nokians. HMD will be using Nokia patents for the phones.

pichlo 2016-05-19 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemist (Post 1505798)

I would, but I do not have a Twatter account and do not intend to create one just for this. So I am liking at least your post ;)

ZogG 2016-05-19 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxkia (Post 1505805)
DJCBS

1 - HMD, the company who has the global rights to the Nokia-branded phones, is a FINNISH company;

2 - Nokia holds a seat on HMD's board and has the ultimate saying on pretty much any phone made. It controls designs, quality, technology, consumer experience etc;

3 - the manufacturing will be done in partnership with Foxconn. Which is exactly what pretty much everyone else is doing, from Apple to Sony, including Microsoft itself (Foxconn builds the Xbox One in case you didn't know that).

4 - HMD's CEO is an ex-Nokia veteran. HMD's employees are ex-Nokians. HMD will be using Nokia patents for the phones.

You forgot to mention:

5 - Nokia killed maemo

6 - Nokia killed harmattan

ibrakalifa 2016-05-19 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZogG (Post 1505813)
You forgot to mention:

5 - Nokia killed maemo

You made my day, tyvm

But how if nokia resurrect them all?

Foxkia 2016-05-19 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZogG (Post 1505813)
You forgot to mention:

5 - Nokia killed maemo

Meego / Maemo not dead

ZogG 2016-05-19 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxkia (Post 1505819)

When and IF it's out - talk to me. Currently it's speculation topic with promises and nothing more.

deutch1976 2016-05-19 16:55

Something like this would be awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXaBlFNKbpk