maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   disable Nokia Account creation (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87403)

hauslandbibliothek 2012-10-14 16:38

disable Nokia Account creation

Hi,

when I start the phone there is a dialog, which says I should create a Nokia account, which I don't want to do (privacy issue - Nokia doesn't have to know about my phone). So is there any possibility to disable this window on startup (just click later doesn't work as the dialog shows up the next start again)?

ibrakalifa 2012-10-14 16:45

Re: disable Nokia Account creation

Now tell me, how can i use an android phone without a gmail account, ;)

thedead1440 2012-10-14 16:52

Well you can't use Store without a Nokia account...

Although i think the OP is getting too paranoid over this (after all, why only would your details be shared vs the 100s of millions of users) I think this is possible...

Look thru /var/lib/aegis/refhashlist and see if there is any file there that has something to do with start-up (i'm sure it'll be in refhashlist) and modify that start-up file...

qwazix 2012-10-14 18:00

Quote:

after all, why only would your details be shared vs the 100s of millions of users
While that's always valid, it can be used to apply any kind of obviously harassing behavior.

"We will put cameras in everybody's toilet, but you don't have to fear because there are so many toilets in the world why would we want to look at yours?"

Until of course you do something that's deemed illegal. Which can be anything...

flopjoke 2012-10-14 21:03

@qwazix you have a good point.

but just wondering.. what can be done in a toilet that's illegal? xD

Eztran 2012-10-14 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopjoke (Post 1280563)
@qwazix you have a good point.

but just wondering.. what can be done in a toilet that's illegal? xD

The obvious answer is surely 'illegal drugs', but that doesn't really help the point along.

herpderp 2012-10-14 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1280479)
Now tell me, how can i use an android phone without a gmail account, ;)

What? You can use any Android device without a Google account without a problem.

hauslandbibliothek 2012-10-15 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1280480)
Look thru /var/lib/aegis/refhashlist and see if there is any file there that has something to do with start-up (i'm sure it'll be in refhashlist) and modify that start-up file...

It is (I think) the cherryui xsession-init file which calls the binary ovi-startup. As aegis makes trouble when editing the init-files, I simply deleted /usr/bin/ovi-startup which works.

To the discussion about privacy: First, you can, as already mentioned, use an android phone without a google account. So this was the point, where I thought, when I use an android device successfully without Google, why can't I use the open phone without a nokia account?
Secondly, maybe nokia doesn't use my data in "bad" way, but they are a capitalist company, so why should I trust them? And the point is, that the mobile phone ist one of senstivest devices we have, as you can track ever step of his owner (and his phone calls, his SMS etc ..). So, if you don't need the nokia account (I am only using free software, including my phones, so I don't), I see no reason why you should register.

Fuzzillogic 2012-10-15 21:19

There is no excuse for NOT being able to use a mobile phone without registering to some kind of service. Actually, forcing users to do so or even make them believe that you can't use your phone without such account should be illegal.

I do have a Nokia account, because I (naively, undoubtedly) believe Nokia gets little information from it, as I use it solely for the store. iOS, Android and I guess Windows Phone as well are way too invasive. I will not buy any of those devices.

danested 2012-10-16 23:07

If someone wants to track your phone and are capable of doing so, then they obviously can do it regardless of whether or not you have a Nokia account.

I dont think there's sufficient information collected in creating the account itself to perform espionage... if that's necessary, all the information, including the ones that you provide during account creation, can be gathered by monitoring the activity that goes on in your phone directly, yes?

Just tracking the GPS data alone will suffice to point exactly where you live (your phone communicates with the Nokia maps server for this). Your browsing data/call records/msgs can be monitored... but then again, that will only happen if someone is incredibly interested in what you're upto. Otherwise, I believe Nokia have other more pressing issues to deal with at the moment.

herpderp 2012-10-16 23:35

It's not only about privacy, it's about jumping additional hoops just to start using the device.

danested 2012-10-16 23:40

Mandating account creation is definitely a problem :(

Its something like the Ovi Suite updates used to be... where you could not proceed with the older version with-out updating to the latest version which you know doesnt support your phone anymore...

meemorph 2012-10-19 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by danested (Post 1281434)
Mandating account creation is definitely a problem :(

Have you all ever read the "Nokia service terms and privacy policy"? You find them under "Accounts"->"Nokia account", or those who never registered under "Accounts"->"Add account"->"Nokia account".

Short cite from "Effective date September 1, 2011", you can read under "3. Registration and Termination":
"... Uppon first use of your device and each time you update the Nokia device software, a text message will be sent to Nokia."

I think this done befre account creation and means: Nokia gets a SMS on first use an after every update or flash of device software. Nokia gets at minimum your phone number and may be IMEI, thats much better than an emai-address.

Only solution: flash *your device* before first use to a open/custom firmware, and you never get *Nokia device software* again and Nokia will not get a text message from *your device*. - Or we buy a sim card and share it for "first use" and after "update" or "flash".

Any questions?

herpderp 2012-10-19 09:46

That's pretty messed up... Does any other phone manufacturer do this? Maybe RIM?

thedead1440 2012-10-19 10:05

simply flash your phone and when turned on, disable the Nokia account prompt at start-up, disable Nokia tips and only then insert a sim card, simples...

thedead1440 2012-10-19 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by herpderp (Post 1282489)
That's pretty messed up... Does any other phone manufacturer do this? Maybe RIM?

For some reason google talk is creepy in this matter too...

My mobile number is not registered on my gmail account...I add a google talk account and Singapore doesn't have the option that when a contact is offline you carry on the conversation via sms...

I switch my data off and even though i'm offline from the net i am able to receive google talk messages...I tried using a prepaid number and no charges deducted from my balance too...So this means that Google has some sort of arrangements with telcos in Singapore for users without a data connection to send/receive google talk messages...

P.S. before someone here accuses me of being mistaken; i did this on the following droids:
SGS - 2 different units
SGS 2
HTC One X

In the process to test i used 3 different prepaid numbers from 2 telcos in Singapore without any of the numbers being in my gmail account...

foobar 2012-10-19 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by meemorph (Post 1282484)

I think this done befre account creation and means: Nokia gets a SMS on first use an after every update or flash of device software. Nokia gets at minimum your phone number and may be IMEI, thats much better than an emai-address.

The same, or something similar, happens on the N900, which is why someone created the 'notmynokia' package, which seemingly prevents sending of those SMSs.

Edit: It does that by disabling startup of /usr/bin/cherry (started in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/34cherry).

juiceme 2012-10-19 16:04

There is something called cherrychecker which is run on x startup phase of N9 too... Is it related?

marmistrz 2016-08-24 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1282493)
simply flash your phone and when turned on, disable the Nokia account prompt at start-up, disable Nokia tips and only then insert a sim card, simples...

How can I disable the Nokia account prompt? I can't find it in the settings and I get a permission denied when I try to remove ovi-startup.

It's even more important these days, when you can't create a Nokia account and the prompt pesters you at every boot.

aspergerguy 2016-08-24 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1513448)
How can I disable the Nokia account prompt? I can't find it in the settings and I get a permission denied when I try to remove ovi-startup.

You are saying that you can't input the following?

Code:

devel-su
mv /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/.oviplugin

Sorry second line should be continuous but can't get enough room, there is space between oviplugin /usr

marmistrz 2016-08-24 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspergerguy (Post 1513450)
You are saying that you can't input the following?

Code:

devel-su
mv /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/.oviplugin

Sorry second line should be continuous but can't get enough room, there is space between oviplugin /user

Thanks. I could not
Code:

# rm /usr/bin/ovi-startup

xelo 2016-08-26 21:57

Hi, I just did a
Code:

devel-su
cp  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin \
 /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/.oviplugin
rm  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin

on my n950 (open mode)

The file oviplugin "vanished" as expected. rm works, at least in open mode

After a restart the nokia-login page was not shown anymore.

pasko 2016-09-10 16:54

Hi.
I also had to 'touch' another file. I rename the files instead of delete. The login screen was still present after reboot so I had to do:
Code:

mv /usr/lib/AccountSetup/genericplugin  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/genericplugin.orig
So far no more annoying login screens. :)
Regards.

genes 2016-10-19 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasko (Post 1514777)
Hi.
I also had to 'touch' another file. I rename the files instead of delete. The login screen was still present after reboot so I had to do:
Code:

mv /usr/lib/AccountSetup/genericplugin  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/genericplugin.orig
So far no more annoying login screens. :)
Regards.

i couldn't remove login screen after touching

Code:

devel-su
cp  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin \
 /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/.oviplugin
rm  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin

and

Code:

shouldn't it be

Code:

mv /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/genericplugin  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/genericplugin.orig

genes 2016-10-25 03:16

Anyone can help me?

pasko 2016-10-25 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by genes (Post 1517366)
Anyone can help me?

Hi.

I just made a few quick checks and the route for this file in my device is in folder "/usr/lib/AccountSetup".
I would also add that my device is flashed in openmode although I'm not sure if this is relevant in this case or not.
Anyway, Could you try to rename the file - wherever it is - and see if it works as expected?. You can always undo it if it doesn't. :D

Regards.

aspergerguy 2016-11-21 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by genes (Post 1517366)
Anyone can help me?

As a last resort I just had to use this command line:
Code:

chmod -rwx /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin
from this thread:http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=56

aspergerguy 2017-04-24 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by genes (Post 1516981)
Shouldn't it be

Code:

mv /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/genericplugin  /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/genericplugin.orig

Not if you don't want to have to install any .deb by using aegis-dpkg -i instead of device UI.