maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   [Announce] CSSU devel, it may eat your brain (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84292)

merlin1991 2012-05-16 00:22

[Announce] CSSU devel, it may eat your brain

freemangordon urged me to announce this, so here it is:

Over at http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/community-devel/ we have a repository that holds truly "bleeding edge" packages for cssu.

It's a double edged sword, on one hand you'll have the latest and greatest packages meant for the cssu, but on the other hand you risk installing mostly untested software.

The repository has no updated metapackage, so ham isn't going to notice most of the updates in here. The prefered way to upate would be to use
Code:

apt-get update
apt-get install PACKAGENAME

though the brave souls (or those who know what they do) can always run "apt-get upgrade"

Also since this is truly a development repo we would prefer to handle issues with packages from there within this thread and not on the bugtracker.

A log of the changes can be found here: http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/comm...el/changes.log

joerg_rw 2012-05-16 03:25

Re: [Announce] CSSU devel, it may eat your brain

to make it short

this is a place where devels share new stuff that's under development and most likely will explode right into your face. THERE IS NO SUPPORT beyond what's happening in this thread and/or IRC, don't even think about reporting bugs at bugtracker!

Post any comments either here, or (preferably) /join #maemo-ssu @ freenode, and ping the devel of pkg in question there.

/j

Estel 2012-05-16 06:43

Thanks a lot, will be happy to test it after preparing full backups.

BTW, please, read carefully what merlin and joerg have said - unlike general repositories, this is place of constant development, so -devel really mean it, like in "good'old'days".

Beware:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...XL._SY355_.jpg

/Estel

ivgalvez 2012-05-16 07:05

Do you have interest in any specific tests to be done?

For example, the change to async operation in Modest is clearly critical, but easy to test, while the changes in ke-recv or gnome-vfs2 might be difficult to track.

davdav 2012-05-16 07:20

+1 for Estel
I will help you testing this after getting full backup but i have some exams right now :/

freemangordon 2012-05-16 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1207235)
Do you have interest in any specific tests to be done?

For example, the change to async operation in Modest is clearly critical, but easy to test, while the changes in ke-recv or gnome-vfs2 might be difficult to track.

A general QA would be pretty enough, we just don't have resources to do a full QA test list.

So, check if there are no regressions using whatever methodology you like, plus reports if something "looks strange" will be appreciated.

vi_ 2012-05-16 07:44

Some kind of 'development' repository full of development grade software?

How deliciously novel!

sifo 2012-05-16 12:43

looks promising i'll test it too as soon i can me too i have exams next week.
thanks !

./sifo

panjgoori 2012-05-18 16:22

i will also help in testing. will create full system backup if incase anything goes wrong.

Time to play again with my beloved device.

JadeH 2012-05-19 04:30

i'll test it out soon

ivgalvez 2012-07-18 08:17

Guys, any useful reports?

freemangordon 2012-09-01 08:50

new version of operator-name-cbs-widget pushed in cssu-devel, changelog:

Code:

operator-name-cbs-widget (3.1.1) unstable; urgency=low

* Handle operator name changes via dbus signal - fix bug when operator name is empty
 -- Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com>  Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:16:03 +0200

operator-name-cbs-widget (3.1) unstable; urgency=low

* Add support for custom operator names
  * Add missing build dependency
  * Add debian/shlibs.local file
  * Move package operator-name-cbs-widget to user section

-- Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com>  Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:16:03 +0200

Please test and report, according to Pali there should be no problems

foobar 2012-09-01 10:58

Hm, I just added the cssu-devel repo and installed operator-name-cbs-widget. After installation the 'Operator Name Widget' entry disappeared from the Settings. And it's still gone after a reboot. What am I missing?

Have latest CSSU-Testing installed.

freemangordon 2012-09-01 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by foobar (Post 1259044)
Hm, I just added the cssu-devel repo and installed operator-name-cbs-widget. After installation the 'Operator Name Widget' entry disappeared from the Settings. And it's still gone after a reboot. What am I missing?

Have latest CSSU-Testing installed.

you need to install both connui-home-cellular and operator-name-cbs-widget

foobar 2012-09-01 12:27

That and a reboot and it works fine now. Thank you, guys!

arcean 2012-10-11 18:58

New version of hildon-desktop is available.
Changelog:
Code:

* Fixes BMO #12052: Orientation lock causes incoming call to not display properly
* Fixes BMO #12584: hildon-menu gets rotated if orientation locked from portrait
* Fixes BMO #12629: blacklisting works not as it should

arcean 2012-12-03 19:38

New hildon-desktop is available, version 2.2.145-1.
Changes:
Code:

* Improved whitelist functionality.
* Improved blacklist functionality.
* Code optimizations.
* Faster, without visual glitches, switching to an application in portrait mode from the task navigator.
* Updated launcher, which now supports loading 80x80 icons (from the Harmattan). It's possible to pass over icon's direct path instead of the icon's name in the desktop file.
* Added support for launching apps in portrait mode, when the device lies flat. Works with Hildon/Gtk+ based applications (but not with Qt-based).
* Launcher editor supports loading 80x80 icons and passing over icon's direct path in the desktop file.
* Fixed layout of the launcher when coming from the editor in portrait mode.
* Fixed regressions from the 2.2.142-23 release.
* Fixes BMO #12660: Hildon Menu should scale images when are too big to be displayed
* Fixes BMO #12576: hildon-desktop crashed after failed SDL png load.
* Fixes BMO #12177: Autorotate disfunction using Catorise.

Mr. Incredible 2012-12-03 22:17

Running great so far! :)

mr_pingu 2012-12-03 22:27

Hmm don't know if this is the right place to ask but I guess it atleast reaches the people who have the power to change it: Would it be possible for the custom operator widget to show the date as custom text? IMO it's a nice place to show the current date :)

ade 2012-12-05 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcean (Post 1301095)
New hildon-desktop is available, version 2.2.145-1.

Finally the irritating jump back to the main categories when rotating in catorise is gone.

I also noticed that my (whitelisted and non forced-rotation) conversations works perfect now in portrait and in combination with portrait vkb (no more jumping back to landscape etc). Don't know if it is related to the "Improved whitelist functionality" or "support for launching apps in portrait mode", but it certainly improves my everyday user experience.

vi_ 2012-12-05 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1301146)
Hmm don't know if this is the right place to ask but I guess it atleast reaches the people who have the power to change it: Would it be possible for the custom operator widget to show the date as custom text? IMO it's a nice place to show the current date :)

I agree, it is a nice place to show information. However, the role of the CSD widget is showing the CSD name, that is all! To use it to show arbituary information is crazy speak.

A good way to put info up there is to use QBW (or any widget generation method you like that supports placing itself in arbituary positions on the screen) and to disable the CSD widget altogether.

On saying that, this is TMO, not XDA. We can do anything!

The information to be displayed in the CSD widget (the custom name) is simply a gconf value. We can change the gconf value and display ANY information we like in the CSD widget. For example, I have a little script stored in /etc/network/if-up.post/50_operator_ip that echo s the IP address of the currently active internet connection (wifi or GPRS) to the appropriate gconf value. This way, when I am connected to the internet, the operator name is in fact my IP address!

This has its limitations though. If you turn GSM off, the CSD widget is disabled and will not work.

freemangordon 2012-12-10 18:20

Three more packages in the repo:

osso-systemui-tklock (touch screen unlock slider)
osso-systemui-powerkeymenu (the menu that appears when you press the power key)
those had severe memory leaks, should be fixed in their re-write counterparts

osso-systemui-alarm - (Alarm dialog) - this is just a newer version(0.3.3), nothing has changed compared to 0.3.2, just some source code cleanup.

Please test and report if something is not as it should be.

disappear 2012-12-11 07:08

Hi Freemangordon,maybe it sounds stupid but,is there any chance to putting cssu-thumb2 in that repo
regards

freemangordon 2012-12-11 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by disappear (Post 1303340)
Hi Freemangordon,maybe it sounds stupid but,is there any chance to putting cssu-thumb2 in that repo
regards

Why? CSSU-thumb has its own dedicated repo. On the same server where -devel is. I don't get the point.

disappear 2012-12-11 07:23

This is a just idea to connected these 2 repos in one,sorry man(i didn't know than cssu-thumb2 is on same server)however
regards.

arcean 2012-12-14 18:38

Another hildon-desktop release (2.2.146-1). This version should be installed in parallel with libmatchbox2 0.2.92-1, which is also available in the CSSU-devel repository.

Hildon-desktop changelog:
Code:

* Build-Depends: Increase required version of the libmatchbox2-dev.
* Fixes: Portrait (dialog) windows handling.
* Fixes: i'm [not] gonna create 0x0 frame window and play hide and catch with you, have a good time.

libmatchbox2 changelog:
Code:

Fixes: Dialog window doesn't inherit parent's portrait flag.

Raimu 2012-12-14 22:17

Why no dependency if it libmatchbox2 should be installed with the latest h-d?

arcean 2012-12-14 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raimu (Post 1304655)
Why no dependency if it libmatchbox2 should be installed with the latest h-d?

libmatchbox2 is statically linked during compilation of the hildon-desktop. Anyway there might be an application which depends on this library, thus it's worth to update :).

sifo 2012-12-15 18:26

I've been using cssu-testing for more than a year, and today i upgraded to cssu-devel after a clean reflash,
no bugs found so far and all is fine, it took about 8 MB from rootfs.

Thanks for your hard work :)
oh and by the way my brain is fine :p

Edit: there something i noticed in cssu testing and devel, which is when i scroll slowly in portrait mode i can see the icons in the app menu "waving" a little ( it is not the icons, it is the portrait mode in everything but it is more visible there...)
And i cant seem to see such a thing in landscape mode.
Thanks

./sifo

peterleinchen 2012-12-15 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1303185)
osso-systemui-tklock (touch screen unlock slider)
osso-systemui-powerkeymenu (the menu that appears when you press the power key)
those had severe memory leaks, should be fixed in their re-write counterparts

Please test and report if something is not as it should be.

Hi freemangordon,

thanks.

But I need to report at least one oddity with powerkeymenu. I extracted the lib from deb, put it to right place and restarted.
When I want to start top or call my own scripts from menu, there is something strange.
When I have a x-terminal open, everything is fine.
But when there is not already a x-term open, then nothing happens.
A fast compare with included systemui.xml against my own did not show anything different.

For the other two packages I did not find anything odd.
Especially the alarmui package has been tested for longer time (and we found that h-h with some widget may cause not-ringing, but it is/was not cuased by alarmui itself).

freemangordon 2012-12-16 23:33

new version (0.3.0.1+0cssu0) of osso-systemui-tklock in the repo, it fixes missing background when top application (before lock) is in portrait mode.

@peterleinchen - may I have your custom .xml, so I can test it here?

freemangordon 2012-12-17 13:25

new version (0.3.0.2) of osso-systemui-powerkeymenu is in the repo, it fixes the problem reported by peterleinchen.

@peterleinchen - thanks a lot for reporting that.

don_falcone 2012-12-17 13:32

..and btw thanks for fixing #12052. It's quite unsual to have the call screen rotated (again, as it was w/ stock) into portrait when landscape-locked, but at least all buttons are accessible.

acrux 2012-12-17 13:34

Hmm, could it be, that the new profiles switching solution defaults all ringtones to Nokia Tune although in Settings->Profiles (there are still listed only Silent and General) it is defined differently... Anybody else noticed that?

sifo 2012-12-17 17:27

2 Attachment(s)
I thought i installed cssu-devel, is it normal as it appears in about community SSU ? or i made my own mix between testing and devel :rolleyes:
thanks in advance

@acrux
I noticed that too ;)

./sifo

vetsin 2012-12-17 17:38

Hi sifo,
I don't think there is such a thing as a "cssu-devel". There are only testing and stable flavors. "CSSU devel" is the repository where packages being developed for inclusion in the next "Testing Flavor" are made.

sifo 2012-12-17 17:42

Yey i missed that, you are right, Thanks !

sixwheeledbeast 2012-12-17 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetsin (Post 1305429)
Hi sifo,
I don't think there is such a thing as a "cssu-devel". There are only testing and stable flavors. "CSSU devel" is the repository where packages being developed for inclusion in the next "Testing Flavor" are made.

Yep, if you wish to test cssu-devel stuff you have to enable cssu-devel and apt-get it.
More information in the OP, sifo.

sifo 2012-12-17 19:29

Well i did as said in the OP afaik, added the cssu-devel repo then apt-get update then apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr which installed so many new packages...And im happy with the update :)
please correct me if im wrong.
( sorry for the noise im making here )
thanks

./sifo

freemangordon 2012-12-17 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1305466)
Well i did as said in the OP afaik, added the cssu-devel repo then apt-get update then apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr which installed so many new packages...And im happy with the update :)
please correct me if im wrong.
( sorry for the noise im making here )
thanks

./sifo

What you have done, is to upgrade your -testing to latest version. So yes, you did it semi-wrong. Read the whole thread to see which packages are only in -devel and install them by using apt-get $PACKAGE_NAME