maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Android (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Finding a Used Phone with Unlocked Bootloader(SOLVED) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100863)

biketool 2019-10-24 07:55

Finding a Used Phone with Unlocked Bootloader(SOLVED)

For several reasons including needing NFC and a fully functional mobile web browser I need to find a LineageOS microG compatible phone to use as a tablet. I am looking for a small device, I was thinking of a Samsung S4 mini LTE(serranoltexx).
My concern in shopping for a used phone is that the bootloader would be hard locked and the device will be unusable to me, I refuse to use a stock android device.
Does anyone have ideas what to look for to get an unlockable Samsung? The only other experience I have with androids was helping with a One+1(stock Cyanogen) and a Nexus 7 which both only come with ADB unlockable or unlocked bootloaders.

(Edit - SOLVED!)
See posts 15 and 17 of this thread:
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...6&postcount=15
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...0&postcount=17
I found a Samsung S4 mini which is small and if an international I9195 is acquired it can be converted to a TWRP recovery and LineageOS 14 for microG. Post !7 details how to software disable the cellular radio and re-enable it if desired.

nikos523 2019-10-24 11:51

Re: Finding a Used Phone with Unlocked Bootloader

Your description is kinda confusing.
If you want to use something as a tablet, why don't you get a tablet? If you want it to be small, then you need a phone, so I really don't know what to suggest here :)
Other than that, you have to give us a budget. There are thousands of options out there!
As for the s4 mini, that phone was 100% crap 5 years ago. I wouldn't recommend that to literally anyone today.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

biketool 2019-10-24 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos523 (Post 1561205)
Your description is kinda confusing.
If you want to use something as a tablet, why don't you get a tablet?

I need a small phone sized android device, no intention of inserting a SIM and might later look into cutting the power pin to the cellular modem. I suppose now people call tablets big and phones small but I am more talking in the N800 is a tablet(no cellular until the N900) manner than the last 10 years.
I already have a Nexus 7 but that is huge, I need something pocket sized that can tether to my N900 but run some modern FOSS software.
Android is a bad solution even Lineage with microG but better than not having services I need when using public transportation.

nikos523 2019-10-24 14:13

Why not an xperia x compact then?
I got a used one locally to try sfosX for 40€.
I mean sure, it's a budget and ancient device, but it will work and it's small!
But if you wanna try something modern, the galaxy s10e is about 1cm taller/5mm wider than the compact, but it's a million times better.
Obviously I'm talking for the exynos cpu version, cause I think you can't unlock the bootloader in the snapdragon version.
Not sure though.

biketool 2019-10-24 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos523 (Post 1561211)
Why not an xperia x compact then?(snip)
the galaxy s10e

The S4 mini has a SD card slot, removable battery, and I can still run a current browser and OS. That and they are very cheap as long as I can be sure I can get past the bootloader step. The main difficulty is finding a used direct from Samsung phone(no code on bootloader) vs something unusable which was sourced from a US or Canadian wireless carrier and no hope of installing a usable OS.

nikos523 2019-10-24 14:47

Whatever floats your boat mate!

justmemory 2019-10-25 07:30

Hi,

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2015) now with LineageOS... I do not have any idea of your worries or expectations about the size of the phone; it is fine for me. OK, it is way bigger than the n900 (I mean taller and wider) but I can use it with one hand at least and the big screen comes handy...
I have termux on it; I could even wrote a small python script and run it in the background to make some things done... So for me it is quite a good solution for having today's services (browser, navigation, pay/banking) with the capability to costumize (OK, not as deeply as on n900) and even write programs/scripts on it...

OK, it does not have a removable back cover and battery, NFC isn't working and yes, I should use google stuffs but I'm not struggling with ads or anything like that. Or at least you can use this to avoid google...

endsormeans 2019-10-25 13:07

Micro g?
I don't use no stinkin' micro g
(Bad rip off there)
I use nano on one of the nexus 5s I have ...that has floko pie on it.

You may rather enjoy trying out maru or Ubuntu touch ...biketool.
I like em.
Just saying...

mp107 2019-10-25 17:42

Regarding the Sony Xperia X Compact and custom ROMs…
If you are going to use any Android custom ROM based be aware that all the custom ROMs for X Compact (except some old, unmaintained CyaonogenMod 13/14.1 and LineageOS 14.1 builds for which the source code has been removed from GitHub :mad: and some stock ROM based ROMs) are based on Sony AOSP which for like two years or so contains a bug where on random basis (mostly on high GPU load) the phone restarts itself or "bricks" to the state a key combo reset is needed. I have struggled with these for like a year and abandoned this device for this reason, therefore I would not recommend this device for using it with any Android based custom ROM.

For clarification, I would not blame open source code as it is often maintained in developers' free time and I appreciate their work and will to do it but this bug seems to be in closed source drivers worked on mostly (except for providing logs) by Sony and that's why I personally feel rather disappointed.

nonsuch 2019-10-26 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by biketool (Post 1561199)
For several reasons including needing NFC and a fully functional mobile web browser I need to find a LineageOS microG compatible phone to use as a tablet. I am looking for a small device, I was thinking of a Samsung S4 mini LTE(serranoltexx).
My concern in shopping for a used phone is that the bootloader would be hard locked and the device will be unusable to me, I refuse to use a stock android device.
Does anyone have ideas what to look for to get an unlockable Samsung?

Do you think there's different versions of each device, some locked, some not?
FWIW, I have never encountered a "locked" device.
I'm not even 100% sure what people mean when they use that term.
If the device has clear installation instructions on the LOS wiki, it should also work that way, no?

Quote:

The only other experience I have with androids was helping with a One+1(stock Cyanogen) and a Nexus 7 which both only come with ADB unlockable or unlocked bootloaders
Are you saying unlockable via "only adb" is bad/inacceptable???