maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   FirefoxOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Firefox OS thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88763)

ranbaxy 2013-01-23 16:44

Firefox OS thread

Say 'hola' to the future.

http://www.geeksphone.com/

http://www.geeksphone.com/images/keon_mobile01.jpg http://www.geeksphone.com/images/peak_mobile01.jpg

panjgoori 2013-01-23 16:58

Re: The Firefox OS developer phones unveiled in two variants

Firefox OS looks good. From the specs of phone it seems that N900 will run it. Both of the devices have 512mb of ram.

m4r0v3r 2013-01-24 15:33

really i mean really iPhone much...

Wreck 2013-01-24 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1317329)

Because everything with rounded edges and a home button is an iphone?

The inside of this phone is ∞ time better than the iphone ever was and will be.

MINKIN2 2013-01-24 16:06

kinda look like htc devices?

noname711 2013-01-24 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1317329)

Yeah, same for me. Doesn't saying OS is the same limited crap as IOS, however.

herpderp 2013-01-24 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreck (Post 1317351)

These are the comments I come here for.

AMD 2013-01-24 16:38

They couldn't find better colors to be put in the phone icon.. I really hate the phone icon, ruined the OS's look :/

marxian 2013-01-24 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1317352)
kinda look like htc devices?

The one on the left reminds me of the Nexus One and Hero.

waldo 2013-01-24 16:47

I havn't see too much on this but what I have it looks like another ios/android clone. Ubuntu and Sailfish are the interesting new OS's to me, buttonless gesture based is my future of mobile

shmerl 2013-01-24 17:02

This calls for Firefox OS section.

3dgneto 2013-01-24 17:28

looks so unintresting..

_David_ 2013-01-24 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1317379)
This calls for Firefox OS section.

As FireFox OS is also built on Linux, perhaps it could share a forum with Tizen?

If they throw us some sponsorship money of course.

shmerl 2013-01-24 23:46

It's openly developed unlike Tizen.

MartinK 2013-01-25 00:31

Any info about native development for this OS (Qt, SDL, Python, etc.) ? I guess if they want some playable (3D) games, they would have to enable that one way or another.

Dave999 2013-01-25 01:11

Who cares about the hardware? It's all about software.

Wikiwide 2013-01-25 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1317518)
Any info about native development for this OS (Qt, SDL, Python, etc.) ? I guess if they want some playable (3D) games, they would have to enable that one way or another.

Quick reply...
It seems that applications on Firefox OS are HTML5 apps. And about 3D games... http://html5games.com/tag/3d/ Don't know whether they are playable, though.

qwazix 2013-01-29 15:31

"You can't write anything in c" were the exact words this Saturday on FirefoxOSAppDays. On the other hand I like that they push HTML5 as an app framework. It'll only make it better if they succeed.

BTW https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBxBxFoCUAASRLK.jpg:large

:) :)

shmerl 2013-01-29 20:09

Yeah, Firefox OS goes for pure virtual environment (i.e. with JavaScript VM). No native code.

MartinK 2013-01-29 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1317525)
Quick reply...
It seems that applications on Firefox OS are HTML5 apps. And about 3D games... http://html5games.com/tag/3d/ Don't know whether they are playable, though.

Well, it is expected they will be eating their own dogfood. But the question is if you are forced to only write applications in HTML5 (didn't work very well on WebOS), or if you can also run & distribute proper native applications that can be ported from other platforms & use the many existing multiplatform libraries (Qt, imagemagic, SDL, etc.).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1318896)
Yeah, Firefox OS goes for pure virtual environment (i.e. with JavaScript VM). No native code.

Of course there is native code - I'm 100% sure there is no CPU that executes Javascript & HTML5 on the metal.
All the stuff that renders HTML5, runs the Javascript interpreter, exports APIs, the telephony framework and the whole sandbox management is definitely not written in either Javascript or HTML5. :)

qwazix 2013-01-29 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1318908)
But the question is if you are forced to only write applications in HTML5 (didn't work very well on WebOS), or if you can also run & distribute proper native applications that can be ported from other platforms & use the many existing multiplatform libraries (Qt, imagemagic, SDL, etc.).

The answer is no. As I posted above "you can't write anything in c" was the direct quote from them.

shmerl 2013-01-29 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1318908)
Of course there is native code - I'm 100% sure there is no CPU that executes Javascript & HTML5 on the metal.
All the stuff that renders HTML5, runs the Javascript interpreter, exports APIs, the telephony framework and the whole sandbox management is definitely not written in either Javascript or HTML5. :)

What I mean there is no native code exposed for user/developer by design. Similar to how Inferno OS for example is designed. Surely, underneath the VM takes advantage of native instructions. So in such kind of systems - you are forced out of the native code. In hybrid systems (like Tizen and most other ones which have native APIs exposed together with various VMs) you have a choice. It's a tradeoff. "Stability" for "performance" or vice versa.

Theoretical base under pure virtualized systems is that if hardware performance will skyrocket, VM overhead will be negligible. In practice however it didn't happen in every case, let alone in the mobile sphere where hardware is still very limited. So I have mixed feelings about such systems yet. If on desktop/server virtualization and abstraction of execution can be ignored (not even there sometimes), on the mobile device where processing power and battery life are very limited - it can't compete with native code yet. (It doesn't mean it has no uses still).

switch-hitter 2013-01-29 21:45

This video shows Firefox OS/Gecko running 3D animations at > 60fps on a Raspberry Pi using WebGL. The Pi is quite modest hardware compared to many current smartphones.

I think the NOKIA engineer that made this demo is a member here isn't he?

munozferna 2013-01-29 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by switch-hitter (Post 1318931)
This video shows Firefox OS/Gecko running 3D animations at > 60fps on a Raspberry Pi using WebGL. The Pi is quite modest hardware compared to many current smartphones.

I think the NOKIA engineer that made this demo is a member here isn't he?

He maintains the Firefox build, also known as romaxa

shmerl 2013-01-29 22:56

Except that romaxa doesn't work in Nokia now and maintains these builds on his own.

m4r0v3r 2013-01-29 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wreck (Post 1317351)

well even the UI looks like the iPhone so....

ranbaxy 2013-01-30 10:48

ZTE to reveal its own Firefox OS phone at MWC 2013

Engadget:
Quote:

ZTE's plans for this year's Mobile World Congress just got a little more interesting. While we've already taken a look at the huge Grand Memo in action, the Chinese maker's invite suggests that there will be another "major new mobile device" to show us, throwing in a 'ZTEMozilla' hashtag for good measure. We knew that Mozilla and ZTE have been holding hands for a while, and this serves to confirm mutterings that we'd see some Firefox OS hardware early this year -- although there's no hint of that mysterious European carrier just yet.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/z...hone-mwc-2013/

ranbaxy 2013-02-01 14:07

Mozilla Intros 'Boilerplate' To Help Developers Make Firefox OS Apps

Quote:

Mozilla is running its Firefox operating system for smartphones on top gears as developer Robert Nyman has announced a tool which will help developers to start creating applications for the Firefox OS or even porting an existing web application to it. Dubbed as Firefox OS Boilerplate App, the tool will bring in several basic features which almost all applications have in common. “The idea is to avoid any dependency on external libraries or resources, but rather be self-contained,” wrote Nyman in a blog post.

“As the name implies, Firefox OS Boilerplate App will provide you with the most basic features to get started with building an app from scratch, or tools to port your existing web app. The easiest way to get started, installing it and testing the various features, is to navigate to the Firefox OS Boilerplate App in the web browser on a Firefox OS device or in the Firefox OS Simulator,” added Nyman.

Meanwhile, ZTE has now announced that it would launch a smartphone based on Mozilla's Firefox operating system at the Mobile World Congress 2013 on 25 February. ZTE's Firefox smartphone would be similar to the ZTE V788D. The smartphone is expected to sport a 8.8-cm (3.5-inch) display with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels. On the hardware front, ZTE will include a Qualcomm chipset clocked at 1.5GHz and will include a 5-megapixel camera.
Source: http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=99619

ranbaxy 2013-02-25 11:28

Mozilla to launch Firefox OS phones in July

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO: Mozilla, makers of the popular Firefox internet browser, is preparing to challenge Google and Apple's grip on smartphone software.

A new Firefox operating system for mobile devices is set for a July release after winning the backing of 13 wireless service providers around the globe, including Spain's Telefonica, China Unicom and America Movil.

Mozilla is betting there's room for a software developer-friendly mobile platform alongside Apple's and Google's Android, which together power the majority of mobile devices on the planet.

The new software is based on open web standards and is capable of operating on devices with much lower hardware requirements than today's existing crop of smartphones, according to Mozilla.

Because the Firefox OS is open-source and web-based, third-party developers will be free to sell mobile applications without needing to share revenue with Apple or Google.

"There's a strategic imperative for the industry to have another OS that really is open and supports choice and competition," said Mozilla's senior vice president of products, Jay Sullivan.

Mozilla will showcase some of the first hardware devices based on that software at the Mobile World Congress, taking place in Barcelona this week. Among the brands that have signed on to make devices based on Firefox OS are South Korea's LG , China's ZTE and Huawei.

Unlike Google and Apple's operating systems, which are built from proprietary technology, Firefox OS uses the HTML5 standard that web services are built with. That means anyone familiar with web programming can create Firefox OS apps.

Whether a smartphone built on web standards can deliver the kind of performance that consumers expect remains to be seen. Facebook famously stopped using HTML5 to develop its iPhone app last year, with chief executive Mark Zuckerberg saying the technology couldn't deliver acceptable quality and calling a decision to use HTML5 for its app one of Facebook's "biggest mistakes."
Quote:

Size matters

Mozilla, a non-profit organisation, also faces stiff competition. Google's Android software, which the company distributes free to phone vendors from Samsung to HTC, had roughly 70 percent share of the worldwide smartphone market in the fourth quarter, according to industry research firm Gartner. Apple, which created the smartphone market with the 2007 launch of the now-iconic iPhone, had a roughly 21 percent share of the market.

"The real barrier here is not necessarily a technical one, it's scale," said John Jackson, an analyst with research firm IDC. Mozilla will need to attract large numbers of consumers and app developers if it hopes to avoid the fate of previous mobile operating system hopefuls, such as Palm's WebOS, now owned by Hewllet-Packard.

But "the world's computing experiences are going mobile and when they get to the mobile environment, they're happening on a platform that's controlled by either Apple or Google," said Jackson. "There's a universe of content and service providers that have an interest in seeing a more neutral platform materialise."

Mozilla will initially look to compete in so-called "emerging economies" in Latin America, Eastern Europe and Asia, where many people still use older phone models and have yet to upgrade to more expensive smartphones that feature touchscreens and high-speed internet connections.

The first phones will be available this summer in Brazil, Columbia, Poland, Venezuela, Serbia and Spain.

The first Firefox OS phones that Telefonica will offer this summer come with a wholesale price of $100. The price that consumers pay for the phone will vary in different markets and depend on whether the phone is offered on a prepaid basis or comes with a service contract, a Telefonica spokesman said.

Telefonica will eventually offer higher-end Firefox OS phones, and plans to offer Firefox devices in all 25 countries that it operates in by the end of 2014.
Source

Dave999 2013-02-25 11:39

I'm running firefox OS on a Blade lll. Do not working excellent, but its working.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360986-d...42-firefox-os/

ranbaxy 2013-03-08 12:39

Sony To Intro Firefox OS Smartphone In India

http://www.efytimes.com/admin/userad...21PM382013.jpg

Quote:

Sony had announced that it is eyeing the Firefox OS for smartphones, which could be launched in the global market in 2014. And now, the Japan-based company has reportedly said that the Firefox based phones will soon launch smartphone based on Firefox OS in the country.

The handset running Firefox is already in works and the rumoured phone will feature Indian-centric applications. The news definitely comes as a surprise to many, as Mozilla had decided to exclude India from its Firefox OS launch plans. It had initially thought of bringing the Firefox based smartphone in around 18 countries, including Latin America, China and even Europe. The company had revealed this information during its official press announcement at the MWC last month.
The Japan-based company has apparently released a Firefox OS based experimental ROM for its budget smartphone Xperia E. The ROM is available for download and it is primarily meant for advanced users and developers, who can run the platform even without major functions not working.

The report further states that the company is looking to focus on the Firefox platform with its latest entry-level smartphone, Xperia E , which will be launched in the Indian market next month at price of around Rs 10,000.

“India is integral to Sony Mobile's success, which is why the country will be one of the first market to receive the Firefox running smartphone. The company is expected to make an announcement within few months,” a source from Sony was quoted saying in the report.

NokiaFanatic 2013-04-23 12:59

FirefoxOS devices were launched today, almost immediately selling out.

http://shop.geeksphone.com/en/

baggacfreak 2013-04-23 16:26

so is there any developing/porting to n900 hardware done yet? What would be needed to use firefox os on a n900? Would be nice not to buy a new smartphone with firefox os but use the old hardware perhaps even chainroot?

cddiede 2013-04-23 16:41

Yeah, both models sold out right away and now that the West Coast is waking up, the entire geeksphone store site is down.

But hey, no one wants anything but Android and iPhones, isn't that right? Yeah, I'm talking to all you handset makers....

......I hate them sooooo much.

ranbaxy 2013-05-03 05:50

Firefox OS Simulator Version 3.0 Now Live

http://www1.pcmag.com/media/images/3...-0.jpg?thumb=y

Mozilla on Thursday formally released version 3.0 of its Firefox OS Simulator, a tool for developers to test apps for the Firefox operating system from their Windows, Mac, or Linux computers.

The company unveiled a preview version of the simulator in mid-March, but has now made some updates and launched a more stable release.

Among the updates Mozilla added in the last 1.5 months are a keyboard shortcut that allows for repackaging, reinstalling, or restarting a current app, "drastically improving workflow speed, especially for packaged apps," Mozilla said.

The company also promised a significantly reduced download size for the Firefox OS Simulator, as well as a faster start time. There are also much newer versions of Firefox OS and Gaia, as well as general bug fixes.

The updated simulator is available for download on Mozilla's website.

Firefox OS Simulator launched in November, and each new version includes features that target the most common and needed requests. Version 3.0 comes with push to device, a fairly self-explanatory function that allows developers to connect via USB a device supporting Firefox OS, then push apps installed on the Simulator directly to the connected machine.

The OS is expected to launch on commercial phones built by Alcatel, LG, and ZTE this summer in Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Poland, Serbia, Spain, and Venezuela. Phones from Huawei will follow later, as will other country rollouts. The U.S. probably won't see a Mozilla Firefox phone until 2014.

Simulator: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-os-simulator/

pichlo 2013-05-03 08:15

So is every browser maker now going to make phones too?

reinob 2013-05-03 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1340863)

As soon as we have a lynx-phone I will buy it.

But stuff from Apple, Microsoft, Google, Mozilla.. bah!

don_falcone 2013-05-03 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1340863)

And what if i want to use a different browser?

reinob 2013-05-03 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by don_falcone (Post 1340897)
And what if i want to use a different browser?

Just wait until the EU finds nothing better to do :), they will go after Apple for not allowing alternative browsers on iOS. Firefox OS will have to change their name (as it unfairly suggests you can only use firefox :). Google Chrome OS will have to support other browsers, etc.

Win7Mac 2013-05-29 12:32

Mozilla Corp., developer of the Firefox web browser, said Monday that it has teamed up with Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. (Foxconn), and they will unveil a product running the Firefox operating system (OS) on June 3.
One industry insider said the new Firefox OS product to be unveiled that day is likely to be a tablet.

Source