maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camera phone competition November 2019: bicycle (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100867)

kinggo 2019-11-02 13:38

Camera phone competition November 2019: bicycle

Rules are as usual:
Photos must be taken during this month and posted before voting starts.
Photos must be taken by the posting member.
Photos must be taken with a camera phone.
Post processing is allowed but you have to say what you did.
Users must name the phone and software they used.
Users post only one photo per entry.
Users can change the entry only once.
3 day voting period starts on November 27th at 20:00 UTC and ends on the evening of November 30th.

Theme is in the title. Additional rule is no e-bikes.

robthebold 2019-11-03 03:15

Re: Camera phone competition November 2019: bicycle

Had to google what an e-bike was. Pretty much looked like what my mind dreamed up, but dual-front-wheel jobs? WTF?

Nice weather predicted, so maybe the snow will be melted off the bike path through the woods and I can see what happens. If all else fails, there's the amusing bike rack at the library.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...abd55c26_o.jpg

Taken a few months ago, so not an entry. Note the nice public bike repair station behind the racks. Pretty cool, really. Wrenches, tire levers, spoke tools, dual-head pump . . . sweet.

endsormeans 2019-11-03 06:00

WHAT????
hmph.
I cry prejudice against ebikes.
They got pedals.
wheels
a seat
a frame
handle bars ..
just like any other bike

So no ebikes.
No electric bikes.

So obviously gas powered bikes are fine.
:p

kinggo 2019-11-03 14:07

the thing is....... downhill must be earned. :D
I had a bike with motorized rear wheel and that was OK for commuting since I got somewhere less stinky. But that was a long time ago and then there was no real alternative. Today on the other hand there are those e-scooter which a way cheaper that entry level bike and more practical to store out of sight.
I get that with e-bike you can actually do the same and go the same as with bicycle but I really don't see them as the same. That's all.
Not that I mind them in general.

Maemish 2019-11-03 21:00

I have dreamed of having that fatbike with an engine in both back and front wheels and then go to offroad with that. But my bike is a Crecent stolen/sosialiced from my father with Tornado 3 step help. Have been using that about 20 years.

endsormeans 2019-11-04 01:44

I have 3 "bicycles"
1 serious old school classic
1 mountain
1 cruiser

then I have 1 electric bicycle
1 very serious all weather all terrain electric bicycle
1 electric motorcycle
and a gas powered.

I am thinking of taking a spare gas kit I have and putting it on the electric bicycle I have so I have a the option of either.

Frankly...where I live...it isn't an option whether to have a regular bicycle to get around or not.
Between :
1- The hills out here,
2- the inclement weather at times,
3- the distances for daily commuting,
4- the cost of daily ferry travel
5- the ferry delays and inconsistent times when the ferry can show...

All make the electric bicycle alternative a "must have" here.

endsormeans 2019-11-04 01:49

2 wheel drive electric ...
I would be careful Maemish.
Not something I would build.
Since both need careful computerized regulation to work in tandem.

Better to trust an expert in the field,
Personally I would purchase ...
They are affordable
$3000 or under.

Here is a great purchasable example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP9-13aXLUk

endsormeans 2019-11-04 01:53

Hmmm....
there is always a wind powered bike...
All you need is a good windy day, a bike and a squirrel suit....
:D

robthebold 2019-11-04 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1561536)
Hmmm....

And a flexible definition of "destination".

pichlo 2019-11-04 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1561537)

If you do not care where you are going, you cannot get lost!

pichlo 2019-11-04 08:05

Going a bit on a tangent while thinking about my entry...

Years ago, longer than I care to remember, my university took part in some psychological study on "male versus female brain". Part of that study was a task to "draw a bicycle". I challenge you all to try it. You do not need to show the result, do it for yourself. I will reveal the key in a few days' time.

sulu 2019-11-04 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1561477)
Users post only one photo per entry.

That's a tough challenge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1561496)
So obviously gas powered bikes are fine.
:p

Only if they are powered by "bio gas". I recommend a big bowl of beans before riding. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1561510)
the thing is....... downhill must be earned. :D

Truer words have never been spoken!

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1561534)
Frankly...where I live...it isn't an option whether to have a regular bicycle to get around or not.
Between :
1- The hills out here,
2- the inclement weather at times,
3- the distances for daily commuting,
4- the cost of daily ferry travel
5- the ferry delays and inconsistent times when the ferry can show...

All make the electric bicycle alternative a "must have" here.

What's your cruising speed and the range of your electric bike?

In Germany the most common type of electric bicycles is limited to 25km/h, which is below my usual cruising speed on good surfaces. You can still ride faster than that, but you won't get any assistance. So for me the motor and battery would mostly be dead weight.
There are other types of bikes that assist up to 45km/h, but these come with other legal limitations that make them largely impractical.

As for range, my "spontaneous horizon" is somewhere around 100km/day. I can ride longer distances, but that requires mental and physical preparation.
At that point though, most battery packs seem to be at or beyond their limit anyways, and that's not even taking battery age or low temperatures into account.
Quite frankly, my main point for not wanting an electric bicycle is that there is no easy and relatively cheap way to replace a 5 years old worn out battery pack. So either I'd have to open the pack and replace the cells myself (which is beyond my current skills), or I'd have to individually task someone to do it for me (which is expensive), or buy a new original pack (which is also expensive, assuming that after 5 or 10 years such a pack would be available at all).
The solution intended by the manufacturers seems to be, to throw away the otherwise perfectly working bike and buy a new one. :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1561535)
2 wheel drive electric ...
I would be careful Maemish.
Not something I would build.

Just don't do it!
The distance that front and rear wheel travel differs in corners. The sharper the corner the more the rear wheel will tend to push you outwards.

That being said I'd advise against a front wheel motor altogether. Sure, it's one of the easiest ways to retrofit a traditional bike, but having a self-powered front wheel can be dangerous in corners. There you usually need the grip to transmit lateral forces. The grip between your tyres and underground is limited, and any force in driving direction takes away grip from that lateral direction. That's also why you brake before reaching the bottom of a corner and not while passing it.

On one of my tours I once encountered an elderly couple who rode electric bicycles with front motors. In a sharp corner the lady turned up the motor which led to her front wheel losing grip. She dropped pretty badly, her battery pack was knocked off the frame and only missed me by centimeters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1561537)
Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1561536)
Hmmm....

There are several solutions for wind-powered trikes, either via surf sails or para sails.
With these you can cross against the wind, although that might be kind of impractical during rush hour. ;)

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561541)
Years ago, longer than I care to remember, my university took part in some psychological study on "male versus female brain". Part of that study was a task to "draw a bicycle". I challenge you all to try it. You do not need to show the result, do it for yourself. I will reveal the key in a few days' time.

I think I know that study or at least its summary, and I believe that summary was based on a fatal flaw in the conceptual formulation:
If you task someone to "draw a bicycle" (in a limited amount of time) they will usually draw a rough sketch that others will recognize as the representation of a bicycle, just like you'd draw a stickman to represent a person. This sketch will of course miss a lot of essential details that are necessary for an actually functioning bike, but are not necessary for the sketch to be recognized as a bicycle.
The study then went on to criticize these sketches for being sketches, just like one might criticize a stickman for not being survivable because it has no place for organs.

endsormeans 2019-11-04 20:25

Right now I am going to bed...
but tonight I will respond in this post to some of what sulu asked and referred to.

February on a winter off road tour..
Since last February I replaced the front and back tires with big knobbies ...had to remove the fenders ...drill a new axle hole in the frame to move rhe wheel back and add a section of chain...the knobbies were that big... Adds almost 6 inches to my height...and fabulous grip on any terrain now...
I will post a pic here in this post the next days off I have of the modifications.
This is my bike ...
32km average up to 48...
It has speed adjustment if less is desired.
ABS disk braking ...once the front brake is engaged .5 seconds later the rear brake auto engages to prevent the rear from going out of control .
I get between 160 to 200 km on a charge from the 2 batteries ...and it costs .25 cents to charge the pair ...from a standard outlet...at about 3 hours to charge each battery fully ...
It is not necessary to license.
And it it a considered walk on. ..free ...on the ferry.
So it is my perfect work commuter.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmqNWh3y/IMG-20171120-143703.jpg

sulu 2019-11-05 09:41

Well, that's quite different from what I'd consider a bicycle.
In Germany that would be considered a "Mofa" [1] (Motorfahrrad = motor bicycle) - due to changes in legal classifications an almost extinct category of vehicles somewhere between bicycles and motor bikes.
I think here, the heaviest vehicle that people would still see as a bicycle would be a fatbike with an electric motor, which would make it a "Pedelec" [2] by German law.

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mofa
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedelec

endsormeans 2019-11-05 10:19

This bike has...spec wise...the torque of a Honda civic...
I can tow 200 lbs of groceries easy.
A second rider ...easy.
It is a good durable ride I have been using now for more tha 3 1/2 years
The line of this cycle has been in production since 2012...It is a collaborative effort.
Japanese Panasonic lithium ion batteries with a lifespan of 10 years... (Currently I have lost zero off the top of the batteries after daily driving for 3 1/2 years...so I am very impressed..) An excellent rebate for turning them in for new batteries when the time comes...
German Bosch motor
Chinese manufacture ..
And Italian design.

The motorcycle model ...which looks almost identical...in build ...but feels much more road hugging compared...
Has the same battery life and distance ...
Same everything ...except speed...
Does 80 km an hour easy.
There is no zero to 60.
It is instantaneous .
Rides like a dream.
I will post current photos of the pair and do some gopro fun with them and post the link...

We have all kinds of electric bikes out here...
All shapes and sizes...
But when it came down to it...
The one in the photo was actually much much cheaper than an upper end electric bicycle for sale out here.

That and the quality and the reviews ...were a no brainer for me.
Also...
Out here like anywhere else...
On the road ...drivers take other drivers seriously.
Drivers do not take pedestrians or cyclists seriously.
This bike "looking" like a motorcycle (and frankly performs better in many regards especially maneuvering ) and this bike "looking" like it would seriously damage someone's car or truck if they hit me...
Is a good respectful ...deterrent .
The simplicity of the build of this bike too...is superior compared to the bits and pieces and parts a typical
electric bicycle has...
Which means far less can go wrong for me ..
Which I like very much.

pichlo 2019-11-05 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1561643)
Well, that's quite different from what I'd consider a bicycle.

English is a funny language. "Bicycle" in unambiguous, but "bike" can mean either a "bicycle" or "motorbike".

Equally confusing is the word "canoe" which, at least in England, may also mean "kayak". That confused me to no end, since to me the two are completely different things.

endsormeans 2019-11-05 15:09

Agreed

I have spent most of my life hiking swimming camping, kayaking and canoeing and all such fun outdoor activities ...since I was a kid.
The good fortune to live in places where walking out the house...literally was the start of the fun.
City life ...I have enjoyed...but it isn't for me.

juiceme 2019-11-05 19:51

Quote:

Going a bit on a tangent while thinking about my entry...

I'm a horrible at freehand and actually never drew anything with gimp but this remotely reminds me of a bicycle... :)
http://www.swagman.org/juice/hand-drawn-bike.png

catbus 2019-11-05 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1561665)
I'm a horrible at freehand and actually never drew anything with gimp but this remotely reminds me of a bicycle... :)
http://www.swagman.org/juice/hand-drawn-bike.png

OMG... Now I know... That really reveal everything about your childhood... ;)

catbus 2019-11-05 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561653)
English is a funny language.

Try something in Finnish... Word "Kirkkovene" can be very differend where you say that... It can be boat or... pu.sy ;)

And "Pyörä" could be bicycle, wheel, motorcycle, "your life" etc... wellcome here ;)

pichlo 2019-11-06 09:26

@catbus, wow. I can recommend a book "Interesting Times" by Terry Pratchett, in which the hero travelled to a distant land where words had different meaning depending on how you pronounced them. So a "shovel" could become a "mother in law" if you did not pronounce it properly.

@juiceme, you are absolutely, definitely, undoubtedly, male. Or at least your bike picture has been drawn by someone who is :D

juiceme 2019-11-06 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561687)
@juiceme, you are absolutely, definitely, undoubtedly, male. Or at least your bike picture has been drawn by someone who is :D

Well yes if you define male as someone who cannot draw a fsckng straight line without a ruler! :D

endsormeans 2019-11-06 17:23

Ah ...Pratchett
Good author.

I think you are a fine artist juice...
I think you could draw a perfect mother in law...
handle and all.

pichlo 2019-11-08 11:35

Quote:

To anyone curious, the key is below in white on white. Obviously it only works if you check it after you have had a go at your drawing ;)

Of course everyone is different and individual personality traits may overrule the general trend, but in general and for whatever reason, men tend to be more technical while women tend to be more people oriented.

For the purposes of our test, men are more likely to draw a bicycle with all the technical bits included: wheels, handlebars, pedals, chains...

On the other hand, women are more likely to draw bikes with people on them.

bradvesp 2019-11-08 14:57

I'd post a picture for this contest, except that my bike is still locked to a wall bracket in my ex-fiancé's bike storage. Well, I'm assuming it's still locked there because: I was the only one with keys, it would take some time with a hack saw to get through the lock or bracket (or bike frame), the storage area was littered with many other bikes that seemed abandoned so I doubt anyone cared to remove it. It was a nice bike and would have made for a good picture.

kinggo 2019-11-08 19:02

man......... you can enter the contest with a story :D

Koiruus 2019-11-09 17:53

I'm hoping that there's some sunny weather to come later in this month, so I could get a nicer picture. But I'll start with this one. Local ridge trail and my beloved ride. Winter already here, but not much snow yet. Taken with Oneplus X w/ Sailfish, stock cam app. Unedited.

https://img.aijaa.com/m/00128/14765210.jpg

nonsuch 2019-11-11 03:33

https://dt.iki.fi/stuff/forums/after...ble_2_2000.jpg
Here we go.
The rain put a nice sheen on the picture.
Taken on a Oneplus3 with OpenCamera yesterday, levels and scaling in GIMP.

kinggo 2019-11-11 08:54

That saddle............. I'm hurting just by looking at it.

Ancelad 2019-11-11 10:29

Not in this month... But...

https://i.ibb.co/WctXg2h/IMG-20191011-091612.jpg

Xiaomi Mi Mix 3, no filters.

ste-phan 2019-11-11 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1561657)
Agreed

I have spent most of my life hiking swimming camping, kayaking and canoeing and all such fun outdoor activities ...since I was a kid.
The good fortune to live in places where walking out the house...literally was the start of the fun.
City life ...I have enjoyed...but it isn't for me.

No wonder you are so capable of enjoying the best of N800 / N900. One need some fantasy & creativity to "know what to do".
Internet connected devices long time ago were not a means of flight from a stone concrete busy busy virtual reality, rather a utility thing that enhances and colors the life by spending your virtual, connected life as efficient as possible.
For now I like this topic most for the non picture part, thanks all for the informative comments :-)
Most pictures I take from bicycle is the sad sight of great vintage steel racing bikes left carelessly locked by students / hipsters in the city centers missing parts in days.

Ancelad 2019-11-11 14:30

Or this infernal one in tunnel's fog
https://i.ibb.co/3NYGQqL/IMG-20190817-163251.jpg

pichlo 2019-11-12 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1561806)
That saddle............. I'm hurting just by looking at it.

Just out of interest, what is wrong with it? :confused:

nonsuch 2019-11-12 08:13

^ me being an intact male, it has some disadvantages.
I should tilt it forward a little, and if that doesn't help maybe there's special "male" saddles?

kinggo 2019-11-12 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561858)
Just out of interest, what is wrong with it? :confused:

you clearly have never ridden a bike for hours. Or days.
This is great for 5min ride to the shop and back but for a serious ride is big no. Unless you have 3 feet wide behind.
Saddles are personal preferences and you just have to find the right one and then get use to it since they are all uncomfortable at the begining. If saddle feels great at first it probably means that it will suck in the long rides. The issue with those wide and thick ones is that it spreads your legs too much and rubs your thighs to much. And that stays with you far longer than that feeling of pain from thin, hard, narrow one. And comes back after every ride because your legs are not moving in natural position.

sulu 2019-11-12 11:20

A bicycle saddle is like a good suit. It has to fit your body - or in this case your behind - like a 2nd skin. If it does, there's no need for any cushioning at all.
On a good saddle your weight is only supported by your sitting bones. This of course needs some training, which a lot of people don't have. That's why they prefer heavily cushioned seats (not saddles) that distribute their weight on everything their behind has to offer. This relieves untrained sitting bones, but the downside is, that it creates a lot of additional friction (which will irritate your skin) and that nerves and veins in the soft tissue get squeezed. You won't mind that on a 1km ride, but you will on a 100km ride.

The width of a saddle is another point. You'll want it to be at least as wide as your sitting bones plus some margin, but not much wider to reduce the aforementioned friction. If it's narrower it will cause a lot of pain because it applies pressure to your soft tissue and a shearing force on your sitting bones.
More well trained riders also tend to sit more aerodynamically, with their upper body lowered. If done properly, the pelvis will tilt forward while lowering the upper body and the contact point betwen the saddle and your sitting bones will move forward. The more forward this point is, the smaller is also the distance between your sitting bones. This is why trained (and thus aerodynamic) riders will prefer narrower saddles.

And then there's of course the difference between men and women. The sitting bones of both are shaped differently. Men have sitting bones with a more rounded lower edge, that on a bicycle saddle more or less works like a hinge, enabling men to assume pretty much any angle on a saddle.
Women's sitting bones on the other hand have a flat underside, which makes it more difficult for them to change angles.
This is why a woman looking for advice with a saddle should never turn to a man, but to an experienced woman instead.

pichlo 2019-11-13 08:42

Thank you for your comprehensive answers. You are right, it's been a long time since I had done any kind of serious cycling. I used to cycle 50 km ("ha ha ha", I hear you laugh, "is that what you call 'serious'?") when I was young but that was 25-30 years ago.

catbus 2019-11-13 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561922)
...when I was young but that was 25-30 years ago.

But remember! Now You are...

sulu 2019-11-13 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561922)
I used to cycle 50 km ("ha ha ha", I hear you laugh, "is that what you call 'serious'?") when I was young but that was 25-30 years ago.

That depends on how you approach it.
If you only do it once a year, like it's customary in my region on Father's day [1], the seriousness lies more in getting home safely despite being drunk, rather than in the actual cycling part.

But if you do it on a regular basis (while staying sober I might add), 50km is a serious distance in terms of training effect. As a rule of thumb it is often said that you need to cycle for at least 90 minutes at a stretch to get a long-term training effect, because at that point you'll have burned through your excess carbohydrates and your metabolism will rely entirely on burning fat (see "basic endurance").
It doesn't really matter at what speed you ride, as long as you ride continuously, but when riding 50km in 90 minutes you'll have an average speed of ~33km/h, which even with a road bike on a relatively flat track isn't that easy.

If you use a different bicycle or a more challenging track you'll need even longer and burn more energy.
For example, have a look at Koiruus's picture! A Fatbike on a hilly snowy forest path will require much more energy than a road bike on a flat and even road track. If that track is only 25km long and looks like this all the way, I'd consider it challenging to finish it within 90 minutes.

Oh, and of course it's never too late to pick up cycling (again)!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father%27s_Day#Germany

Koiruus 2019-11-13 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by sulu (Post 1561928)
If you use a different bicycle or a more challenging track you'll need even longer and burn more energy.
For example, have a look at Koiruus's picture! A Fatbike on a hilly snowy forest path will require much more energy than a road bike on a flat and even road track. If that track is only 25km long and looks like this all the way, I'd consider it challenging to finish it within 90 minutes.

This is probably going too much OT, but I'll tell it anyway. When riding a fatbike, I usually try to stay on trails and to avoid roads as long as I can. Usually that means not making some reasonable circle ride, but going randomly around the forest. Often it leads to a situation where I have chosen to ride a trail which fades away or just disappears suddenly. Then I still try to keep going even if there is no trail at all. Sometimes it goes just nicely and I manage to find another trail to follow, but often I end up walking and carrying my bike instead of riding it :D This kind of biking is a quite heavy exercise. My average speed is usually around 10km/h or even less, but average heart rate is still more than 150bpm :D