maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Support thread] Billboard Standby Screen (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84507)

thp 2012-05-26 14:05

[Support thread] Billboard Standby Screen

This is the support thread for my (currently closed source) application Billboard which you can get from Nokia Store for your N9 (this is N9 only - the N950 does not have an AMOLED screen / LPM).

User scripts can be found at (and should be submitted to): https://github.com/harmattan/billboard-scripts

Feel free to post questions, feedback or problems here, and I'll try to help :)

ibrakalifa 2012-05-26 14:54

Re: [Support thread] Billboard Standby Screen

Unavailable in my country, its look so nice, but i cant use it, :(

TMavica 2012-05-26 15:08

work perfectly

blvx 2012-05-26 15:09

i bought this app from store and it doesnt work for me at all, the addinfo is not showing up in right place it's only showing three first letters of the date, so it's like off the screen hiding in the right corner lol, what is up wit dat?

TMavica 2012-05-26 15:13

@thp anything can be added more?

thedead1440 2012-05-26 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by blvx (Post 1212886)
i bought this app from store and it doesnt work for me at all, the addinfo is not showing up in right place it's only showing three first letters of the date, so it's like off the screen hiding in the right corner lol, what is up wit dat?

you need to edit some values.

1. use terminal
2. devel-su
3. password (default is rootme)
4. apt-get install nano (do this if you havent installed nano already)
5. nano /usr/share/themes/base/libsysuid-screenlock-nokia/style/libsysuid-screenlock-nokia.css
6. scroll down to the following lines and edit the maximum size like i've done. the default should be 12mm 12mm.
Code:

LockScreen MImageWidgetStyle#LockScreenLowPowerModeOperatorLogo {
    padding-top: 0;
    padding-bottom: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    margin-top: 6mm;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    maximum-size: 45mm 45mm;

7. reboot and enjoy.

baem90 2012-05-26 15:32

Quote:

or u can fix it using qtweak

thedead1440 2012-05-26 15:53

thp from your screenshots on store, i saw you using ? etc inside the {} to indicate certain conditions. for example, denoting no network.

could you share on what characters can be added into the {} and what they represent.

thp 2012-05-26 15:54

Quote:

You (or an app you were using before) probably modified the sysuid stylesheet. The update that's coming (1.0.1) will fix that (you will have to reboot after the update once so that the new stylesheet gets loaded). Billboard 1.0.0 was a bit too cautious when trying to apply the changes (i.e. if the file was modified, it sometimes didn't change it to be safe).

See also this helpful post by Arie on how to restore the stylesheet to the original setting. After that, reinstalling Billboard should apply the right changes, and after a reboot, the display area should be fixed. This is also explained on the Billboard website.

thp 2012-05-26 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1212902)
thp from your screenshots on store, i saw you using ? etc inside the {} to indicate certain conditions. for example, denoting no network.

could you share on what characters can be added into the {} and what they represent.

It's described in the about screen of the app (this is for version 1.0.0 and version 1.0.1, there might be a slightly improved syntax in future versions):

{property} - Insert property as-is
{property?text} - Insert "text" when property is not empty
{property!text} - Insert "text" when property is empty

(where property is e.g. "song", "battery" or "cell-network" - without the quotes)

Examples:
{song!No song} - Insert "No song" when no song is selected
{date} - Insert the current date (short format)

Advanced features:
{script:uptime} - Insert output of "uptime" command
{script:/home/user/test.py} - Insert output of "/home/user/test.py" script

All the available properties will change from version to version, and they can be inserted with the "Insert" button in the GUI (to be end-user friendly and enhance discoverability). Right now, there is: Compact date, Full date, Song artist, Song title, Song "Artist - Title", Cell network name, Internet connection, Battery percentage, IM presence status, Active profile.

More properties are planned for future versions, but not available in 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 (e.g. upcoming calendar entries, more fine-grained date settings, system information, ...).

baem90 2012-05-26 16:35

any chance to change size and font?

Dousan 2012-05-26 17:08

Just downloaded and works as it should, thanks thp for an end user friendly version.
I'm more and more getting to the conclusion that I haven't got time for fidling around in xterm anymore and I'm not getting the fun out of xterming mods anymore.
So nice to see a freindly GUI and easy to use app and luckily it's getting more common on the N9.

Regards Dousan...

banong 2012-05-27 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by thp (Post 1212866)
This is the support thread for my (currently closed source) application Billboard which you can get from Nokia Store for your N9 (this is N9 only - the N950 does not have an AMOLED screen / LPM).

Feel free to post questions, feedback or problems here, and I'll try to help :)

Weather in Billboard ???

thp 2012-05-27 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by baem90 (Post 1212927)
any chance to change size and font?

Added to my TODO list. Will very likely come in a future version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by banong (Post 1213104)
Weather in Billboard ???

What you can do is use MeeCast with its standby screen widget. Right now (version 1.0.0 of Billboard) this doesn't work quite right, but it is fixed in 1.0.1 and will make both apps work together nicely, like that: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thp4/7260905776/

pycage 2012-05-27 11:38

Very well done. Works perfectly on my N9! :)
Cyan text looks great on a cyan N9.

youmeego 2012-05-27 11:52

using icons instead of texts is better.

banong 2012-05-27 12:23

I like text

SamGan 2012-05-27 12:33

Thomas, how about adding the song no. in the queue as an insert like 3/10 ( 3rd song of 10) when playing an album or playlist. I'm frequently having to activate the screen just to look at how many songs are left. Thanks for an awesome app!

baem90 2012-05-27 14:51

just found new idea you might interested in your To-do list,

EURO result :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejasmudar (Post 1205998)
For the N900, you can create a small bash script with wget to get the info from some site and use Queen Beecon Widget to display the info. (See this thread:http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=571270&postcount=1)

For the N9, you can use the same script with the just released USbS app to display the info on the Standby/Sleep screen. For example, the following is an image of USbS showing the results of Indian Premier League of the Standby Screen: http://i.imgur.com/AEyN0.jpg

sim6 2012-05-27 15:23

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by thp (Post 1212866)
(currently closed source)

Why closed source code instead of libre? :(

See you.

SamGan 2012-05-28 03:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by sim6 (Post 1213365)
Hello,

Why closed source code instead of libre? :(

See you.

Bro, it's a paid app. The developer has to make a living too. Do you prefer a free app with no support, no bug fixes and no upgrade or a reasonably priced paid one?

O'niZzy 2012-05-30 17:58

Quote:

I thought I was the only one lol. Same problem here. Shows only a few letters (the rest disappear over to the right), and I think it ALSO interferes with meecast plugin. Meecast latest version shows standby screen weather, but doesn't work when billboard is in use (which still doesn't work) :(

Dousan 2012-05-30 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by O'niZzy (Post 1215057)
I thought I was the only one lol. Same problem here. Shows only a few letters (the rest disappear over to the right), and I think it ALSO interferes with meecast plugin. Meecast latest version shows standby screen weather, but doesn't work when billboard is in use (which still doesn't work) :(

Meecast and billboard is using the same space on the lp screen (op logo), hence only one can be shown at a time.

Regards Dousan...

ohh have you rebooted after install?

thp 2012-05-31 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by O'niZzy (Post 1215057)
Same problem here. Shows only a few letters (the rest disappear over to the right), and I think it ALSO interferes with meecast plugin. Meecast latest version shows standby screen weather, but doesn't work when billboard is in use (which still doesn't work) :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dousan (Post 1215087)
Meecast and billboard is using the same space on the lp screen (op logo), hence only one can be shown at a time.

Billboard 1.0.1 fixes this (currently waiting in Ovi QA) and will allow to show both Billboard and other logos below each other (you can also disable that feature, so that only billboard is shown). Also, it's more aggressive about fixing the sysuid .css file, so if even after a reboot you don't see all letter, this will also be fixed by 1.0.1 (reboot still needed, but thanks to MohammadAG's suggestion, a future version won't even need a reboot).

isfr21 2012-06-01 02:03

Not available in my country-USA.

SamGan 2012-06-01 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by isfr21 (Post 1215757)

Your country USA doesn't even have a MeeGo app store as the N9 is not officially sold there.

achilles333 2012-06-01 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by isfr21 (Post 1215757)

I can see it. I think it's something to do with your phone firmware version!!

sim6 2012-06-02 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamGan (Post 1213584)
Bro, it's a paid app. The developer has to make a living too. Do you prefer a free app with no support, no bug fixes and no upgrade or a reasonably priced paid one?

I prefer a libre unsupported application than privative application. If it is libre I can fix their bugs or pay to fix them.
:p

SamGan 2012-06-03 01:13

Why is Ovi store taking so long to release the new version?

thedead1440 2012-06-03 03:27

hi is it possible for the song title to be split. For example, some of the titles are so long that the screen cant display it all so it centres the title and parts of it are cut off. Could you make it such that if the size exceeds the width then there is a split onto the next line.

the uptime script also exhibits the same issue.

thanks.

thp 2012-06-03 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sim6 (Post 1216582)
I prefer a libre unsupported application than privative application.

Here are the libre alternatives:
  • lpsmagic
  • USbS (actually the mention of this on mwkn motivated me to write Billboard)

In the meantime, Billboard 1.0.1 is still waiting in Ovi QA, but 1.0.2 will be uploaded right after 1.0.1 is published (don't want to "reset" the QA time by replacing 1.0.1 in the queue with 1.0.2). Version 1.0.2 adds support for a system-aligned timer, so the Billboard is correctly updated even if you don't have a changing element there (e.g. if you would only have the date on the billboard, this won't ever update - this is fixed in 1.0.2).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamGan (Post 1216606)
Why is Ovi store taking so long to release the new version?

Not sure :/ There's no real feedback that a developer gets during QA. At the end, one either gets a "published" or "QA failed" mail with (in case of failure) a list of things that didn't work out).

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1216637)
hi is it possible for the song title to be split. For example, some of the titles are so long that the screen cant display it all so it centres the title and parts of it are cut off. Could you make it such that if the size exceeds the width then there is a split onto the next line.

The fix in 1.0.1 is that the text will be elided (ellipsized?) when it would go over the screen. You can also use the song title and song artist as separate fields (that's actually what I do, and is available in 1.0.0 already). I'll think about maybe adding something that would just split lines at word boundaries.

thedead1440 2012-06-03 09:15

thanks. the problem is that the song title itself is longer than the width of the screen so if you could come up with a way to split the lines it would be great.

SamGan 2012-06-03 11:42

I'm fine if the rest of the song title is replaced with ellipsis (...) if it is too long. Whatever is displayed should be enough to identify the song. Splitting into 2 lines may upset the information on the next line.

It will be more useful if the song queue can also be displayed like 3/10 ( 3rd song of 10) when playing albums. This avoid having to return to music player to check how many songs are left to play.

thedead1440 2012-06-03 11:45

thp, could you also add functionality to change the colour of each individual line. The line could be selected and the colour changed.

thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

thp 2012-06-04 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamGan (Post 1216759)
It will be more useful if the song queue can also be displayed like 3/10 ( 3rd song of 10) when playing albums. This avoid having to return to music player to check how many songs are left to play.

Yes, I've added this to my TODO list. Let's see if and how I can pull this off (it's probably not in ContextKit, so I might have to look again into MAFW to get this info, and then it might only be compatible with the built-in Music Player, and not third party player apps).

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedead1440 (Post 1216763)
thp, could you also add functionality to change the colour of each individual line. The line could be selected and the colour changed.

I thought about this, but haven't figured out how to make this usable for the user. One idea would be that you would write {red} or {green} at the beginning of the line, and the line would be colored that way. Or select-text-then-select-color, but this might be a bit overkill?

thedead1440 2012-06-04 09:30

i think you can use the current setup whereby the colour selector applies to all the lines. However, if a user wants he can change a particular line's colour by selecting that text and the colour {red} then appears at the beginning and end of that line.

masen 2012-06-04 18:56

Thanx thp! This app is great. I use it for date, music and reminders (which I write in the app). Will be great when it can cooperate with the meecast applet. Here's my question. Can I get the coming or ongoing calendar post on the screen?

achilles333 2012-06-04 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by thp (Post 1217143)
I thought about this, but haven't figured out how to make this usable for the user. One idea would be that you would write {red} or {green} at the beginning of the line, and the line would be colored that way. Or select-text-then-select-color, but this might be a bit overkill?

to color or format text, may be you can allow syntax like html??

banong 2012-06-05 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by thp (Post 1215418)
Billboard 1.0.1 fixes this (currently waiting in Ovi QA)

Update v. 1.0.1 in Ovi Store.

thp 2012-06-05 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by masen (Post 1217400)
Thanx thp! This app is great. I use it for date, music and reminders (which I write in the app). Will be great when it can cooperate with the meecast applet. Here's my question. Can I get the coming or ongoing calendar post on the screen?

Cooperation with the MeeCast applet is already in 1.0.1 (published since yesterday/today), which should appear as an update for you soon. As for the calendar: Yes, in fact I've been working on this yesterday: http://flic.kr/p/cbqZ33

Quote:

Originally Posted by banong (Post 1217598)
Update v. 1.0.1 in Ovi Store.

Yep, it has just been released :) A detailed ChangeLog can be found at http://thp.io/2012/billboard/