maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Android (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Nitdroid N12 Gingerbread Detailed CLEAN INSTALL (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=74641)

mrbilli 2011-07-05 19:05

Nitdroid N12 Gingerbread Detailed CLEAN INSTALL

I've seen in this forum. too much people are facing problems while installing nitdroid in their NOKIA N900.
So i have decided to post a CLEAN and Easiest way to install Nitdroid without any error.

So here we start
(installing on external mmc)

1. Download and install the latest NITDROID INSTALLER
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitins....2.7_armel.deb

downloading in root directory is recommend!

how to install
Code:

open Xterminal
type Sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs
dpkg -i NAME OF UR FILE .deb

if your facing profile while installing .i.e missing files
then simply use this command

apt-get -f install

thats it .. you will able to install NITDROID INSTALLER AUTOMATICALY

Still problem??

then make sure that all reporsitories are enable

2. Create a text file using ur computer of N900 named
"nitdroid.manifest" and paste this code into that file

Code:

#
# Manifest file for NITDroid
#

# Root filesystem tar balls
rootfs file:///home/user/MyDocs/N12_UMay.tar.bz2
# Deb packages
package file:///home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_rc3_armel.deb

# End.

make sure to remove .txt extention and move it to your root directory of Nokia N900

3. Download N12 UMAY file and NITdroid kernel

N12 Umay Android
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/N12_UMay.tar.bz2

Nitdroid Kernel
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/..._rc3_armel.deb

4. Copy Both Files to root directory and .nitdroid folder located in root directory of n900. using via computer or FILEBOX (recommend) i.e /home/users/MyDocs/.nitdroid

5. Now open Xterminal
Code:

root
nitdroid file:///home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid.manifest
and type YES in capital letters

6. Be patients and wait for the installing and wait until it dones

7. Rebot with open keyboard slide and press 2

8. now wait until the Android Logo loads. It takes time to load 1st time

9. Skip the login for gmail for 1st time and HERE IT GOES

ENJOY !!!

NOTE: ANDROID IS RUNNING MUCH SMOOTH AND FASTER BY INSTALLING NITDROID WITH THIS METHOD THEN THE METHOD GIVEN IN MAEMO!
I HAVE TRIED BOTH METHODS AND I PREFER THIS !!!!

jpala16 2011-07-05 19:34

Re: Nitdroid N12 Gingerbread Detailed CLEAN INSTALL

Impossible. It's something with me, it must be. It fails again and again when extracting from file. Must be the SD card or so, but I can't guess why.

mrbilli 2011-07-05 19:49

i have tried this way 3 times .. and it was successfully installed.

just post your error log lets see what you are getting this time.
btw are you using sd card or not ?

end2begin 2011-07-05 19:51

It failed with me too on partitioning the disk, however after following the instruction about this on the Nitdroid website the problem was solved.

mrbilli 2011-07-05 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045345)
Impossible. It's something with me, it must be. It fails again and again when extracting from file. Must be the SD card or so, but I can't guess why.

uninstall the whole process , format ur SD card .. then try again from the beginning.. it will work

if you get error. then formatting SD card is must.

jpala16 2011-07-05 20:05

Ok. I understand that a whole SD card FAT32 format is the way to go, isn't it? Nitdroid installer does the rest. I must say that it is a Kingston 16GB Class 10 card. I'll go with the whole process again. Thanks for your support in the meantime.

SHARP66 2011-07-05 20:07

U did not specified: internal or external memory installation... for people like me....if it is not on emmc, write one for that to...:)...be smart and do-it
and better : a clean deinstallation of Nitdroid ...anyhow apretiate your effort.

mrbilli 2011-07-05 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHARP66 (Post 1045366)
U did not specified: internal or external memory installation... for people like me....if it is not on emmc, write one for that to...:)...be smart and do-it
and better : a clean deinstallation of Nitdroid ...anyhow apretiate your effort.

Its for external memorycard installation, im using 8 GB sd card. and successfuly installed.

mrbilli 2011-07-05 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045365)
Ok. I understand that a whole SD card FAT32 format is the way to go, isn't it? Nitdroid installer does the rest. I must say that it is a Kingston 16GB Class 10 card. I'll go with the whole process again. Thanks for your support in the meantime.

Exactly :) .. try it ..

these all things happend to me to. so i kept trying and got the solution.

jpala16 2011-07-05 20:16

Damn it! Nope, it does not work. I'll be courageous here: do you think I could install it on a 1GB card and then copy the contents to this 16GB card that was already partitioned by Nitdroid installer? I don't, but it's the only way out I see for this.
If only the installer could recognize that the file is already extracted from bz2 type... I'd like to face another problem, I'm sick of this "...FAILURE. Bailing out" while extracting.

I quit for now. Tomorrow I'll give it another try and see what happens.

end2begin 2011-07-05 20:20

Make sure you check with vi if there are no strange symbols in your text files which you created in Windows with e.g. Notepad. This is a common mistake. Notepad for example puts strange end-of-line symbols, which gives hick-ups in linux.

jpala16 2011-07-05 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045375)
do you think I could install it on a 1GB card and then copy the contents to this 16GB card that was already partitioned by Nitdroid installer? I don't, but it's the only way out I see for this.

Could I wait until tomorrow? NO.
Well, I tried this without success, of course. I succeded in installing Nitdroid to the 1GB card at first try (LOL). I see the Nitdroid item. It shows several lines of output, and something fails. Once it output a fullscreen terminal-like message stating that it couldn't mount the device (that's what I remember). Maybe I could touch here and there on some relevant files and convert an installation of Nitdroid on 1GB to a 16GB one.
This is impossible with my knowledge by now.
Thanks for all. It had to be the card as I was sure mrbilli and others were right in their instructions. Sorry for making dirty this thread from the start...

EDIT: I entered Android in the 1 GB SDcard and configured some settings. Then I rebooted to Maemo. Then I copied all the files from the 1GB to the 16GB. Rebooted and initiated Nitdroid but could only get the Android logo and some blinking on it. I thought I made it. This a continuous "I feel lucky" while I'm hitting my head to a hard wall. I give up.

mrbilli 2011-07-05 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045414)
Well, I tried this without success, of course. I succeded in installing Nitdroid to the 1GB card at first try (LOL). I see the Nitdroid item. It shows several lines of output, and something fails. Once it output a fullscreen terminal-like message stating that it couldn't mount the device (that's what I remember). Maybe I could touch here and there on some relevant files and convert an installation of Nitdroid on 1GB to a 16GB one.
Thanks for all. It had to be the card as I was sure mrbilli and others were right in their instructions. Sorry for making dirty this thread from the start...

EDIT: I entered Android in the 1 GB SDcard and configured some settings. Then I rebooted to Maemo. Then I copied all the files from the 1GB to the 16GB. Rebooted and initiated Nitdroid but could only get the Android logo and some blinking on it. I thought I made it. This a continuous "I feel lucky" while I'm hitting my head to a hard wall. I give up.

copying the files will not work .. u need to format ur 16 GB and then install .. just copy ur data to any hard drive for backup ...

SHARP66 2011-07-06 00:02

i downloaded some programs for Gingerbread and lot of them crashing, what should be the problem? they not all supposed to work on n900

galogeek 2011-07-06 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045414)

Once again I suffer the same as you do, I tried this way and it seemed to have been going fine until I tried to run installation and the FAILURE.Bailing out message comes up It has to be a problem with the 16gb class 10 cards because that's EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE. Its a F&L brand and I dont have another card and didnt bother to purchase another one given that this is what was recommended. I've formatted and formatted....siigghhh. Money down the draIn..smt I am going to attempt this ONE.MORE.TIME...for the night..thank you mrbilli for helping. but Idk Ill try one more time

jpala16 2011-07-06 05:57

Hmm, that's suspicious. Has anybody installed Nitdroid in a 16GB Class 10 SD card with the Nitdroid installer with success?
I checked that the files for the installation were right because I achieved the installation in another card.
I checked that the card was not broken 'cause I was able to copy files onto it and then read them (the Nitdroid bootlog was really faster than with the other card, until it crashed, of course).
It must be something related to speed/capacity or maybe is a fake (or Kingston is really bad in this kind of products), and it writes or reads data with errors.
Yes, money down the drain galogeek. I suppose that I will use it for storing music...

ammyt 2011-07-06 07:37

Well, unless you've got a class 22 microSD card, this won't run as smooth as installing it to the eMMC, but sometimes people just want to try things out.

Quote:

NOTE: ANDROID IS RUNNING MUCH SMOOTH AND FASTER BY INSTALLING NITDROID WITH THIS METHOD THEN THE METHOD GIVEN IN MAEMO!
Oh BTW, isn't this a duplicate thread of some other one? It discussed the same method of modifying the manifest file...

jpala16 2011-07-06 08:33

This is supposed to be a cleaner (I ruined that) and with even more effective instructions thread than the other just to install Nitdroid into an SD card.
The pity here is that some 16 GB Class 10 cards ruin this.

bunanson 2011-07-06 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045375)
Damn it! Nope, it does not work. I'll be courageous here: do you think I could install it on a 1GB card and then copy the contents to this 16GB card that was already partitioned by Nitdroid installer?....

I have installed it to a 1G card in the past using auto installer and works well. That was for 0.07 and 0.08, info here.

bun

MyNokiaN900 2011-07-06 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbilli (Post 1045321)
I've seen in this forum. too much people are facing problems while installing nitdroid in their NOKIA N900.
So i have decided to post a CLEAN and Easiest way to install Nitdroid without any error.

So here we start
(installing on external mmc)

1. Download and install the latest NITDROID INSTALLER
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/nitins....2.7_armel.deb

downloading in root directory is recommend!

how to install
Code:

open Xterminal
type Sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs

if your facing profile while installing .i.e missing files
then simply use this command

apt-get -f install

thats it .. you will able to install NITDROID INSTALLER AUTOMATICALY

2. Create a text file using ur computer of N900 named
"nitdroid.manifest" and paste this code into that file

Code:

#
# Manifest file for NITDroid
#

# Root filesystem tar balls
rootfs file:///home/user/MyDocs/N12_UMay.tar.bz2
# Deb packages
package file:///home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-07_rc3_armel.deb

# End.

make sure to remove .txt extention and move it to your root directory of Nokia N900

3. Download N12 UMAY file and NITdroid kernel

N12 Umay Android
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/N12_UMay.tar.bz2

Nitdroid Kernel
http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/..._rc3_armel.deb

4. Copy Both Files to root directory and .nitdroid folder located in root directory of n900. using via computer or FILEBOX (recommend) i.e /home/users/MyDocs/.nitdroid

5. Now open Xterminal
Code:

root
nitdroid file:///home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid.manifest
and type YES in capital letters

6. Be patients and wait for the installing and wait until it dones

7. Rebot with open keyboard slide and press 2

8. now wait until the Android Logo loads. It takes time to load 1st time

9. Skip the login for gmail for 1st time and HERE IT GOES

ENJOY !!!

I can't see how step 1 could work (The bit highlighted in red above), has the wrong path. (great start to this tutorial).

The correct path to the Mydocs folder is:
cd /home/user/MyDocs

People want exact steps, not guess work in a tutorial, else there will be a hundred and one questions asking "What am I doing wrong?".

The instructions on the Nitdroid easy install on EMMC couldn't be more simple if followed correctly.

misterc 2011-07-06 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 (Post 1045693)
I can't see how step 1 could work (The bit highlighted in red above), has the wrong path. (great start to this tutorial).

The correct path to the Mydocs folder is:
cd /home/user/MyDocs

People want exact steps, not guess work in a tutorial, else there will be a hundred and one questions asking "What am I doing wrong?".

The instructions on the Nitdroid easy install on EMMC couldn't be more simple if followed correctly.

don't use sudo (or even su, for that matter), but i think su simply gives the user the root privileges without changing his / her path thus if the X term opens in /home/user, cd MyDocs will have the same result as cd /home/user/MyDocs

galogeek 2011-07-06 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045569)
Hmm, that's suspicious. Has anybody installed Nitdroid in a 16GB Class 10 SD card with the Nitdroid installer with success?
I checked that the files for the installation were right because I achieved the installation in another card.
I checked that the card was not broken 'cause I was able to copy files onto it and then read them (the Nitdroid bootlog was really faster than with the other card, until it crashed, of course).
It must be something related to speed/capacity or maybe is a fake (or Kingston is really bad in this kind of products), and it writes or reads data with errors.
Yes, money down the drain galogeek. I suppose that I will use it for storing music...

well Idk what I did other than kept trying but I had kept running into the FAILURE...Bailing out issue but i realized it only bailed on certain parts of the process IE.downloading .nitdroid.manifest. so I kept re-editing the two manifest files in the root folder & .nitdroid folder until it surpassed that issue. The problem had appeared to be that the downloads ie.kernel were not matching up with the files listed in the manifest (I had c3 but in the manifest it requested c4) So after I corrected that the installation ran the manifest theennnnn it came to the downloading N12_UMAY part and the FAILURE..bailing out issue popped up again sooo i edited the manifest again to see if the link directed for the download was correct but when I inserted the link into my browser the page came back null so I added .deb at he end of the link in my browser and to the manifest and It went through after that and thedownload process passed. THENNNNNNN THE ISSUE I HAVE NOW....After the download of n12 went through the issue came up with extraction, ectractin N12_UMAY... FAILURE..bailing out. So I assumed that the file was corr. or bzip wasnt getting it to extract soooo smart experimenting me decided to manually extract it in term and it was extracting fine...for a while then gearing near the end It started saying could not find files then eventually it said the dreaded no space left on device so I ran df and my rootfs was full to 100 percent...sooo what i am assuming now is that either the partitioning is all wrong or somethings not setup correctly in the manifest and these files arent being extracted to the right place.

ANY IDEAS FELLAS? BTW I JUST WANNA THANK U ALL FOR ASSISTING ME IN MY MATTER IVE BEEN TRYING THIS FOR ABOUT A WEEK NO BUT IDK I JUST CANT FIGURE IT OUT. I am a complete noob to the linux OS and although this is frustrating...Ill admit Im not as dumb to it anymore. Ive learnt alot.

so yeah any ideas...oh yeah also I think I may have to reflash my phone given that although I was ablr to clear up somme of the files in my rootfs that was taking up all the space which brought it down to 76 per I still see alot of files there that I know is not supposed to be there..but..Im not sure..so maybe Ill have to flash..what do u think?

PS SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

jpala16 2011-07-06 13:47

It's kind of funny what you tell: i went through exactly the same process!
I was near to extracting the file manually, but I thought that wouldn't do anything, because I guessed the installer would continue doing other things and it wasn't that smart to realize the file was already extracted, so it wouldn't try to extract it again.
I'm also stuck in that step. I see in Conky that I've got 38.9 MB left on rootfs. Do you have more or less than that?
However I don't think that matters: I wouldn't have been able to install Nitdroid on the 1 GB card, I suppose...
*sigh*

galogeek 2011-07-06 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045777)
It's kind of funny what you tell: i went through exactly the same process!
I was near to extracting the file manually, but I thought that wouldn't do anything, because I guessed the installer would continue doing other things and it wasn't that smart to realize the file was already extracted, so it wouldn't try to extract it again.
I'm also stuck in that step. I see in Conky that I've got 38.9 MB left on rootfs. Do you have more or less than that?
However I don't think that matters: I wouldn't have been able to install Nitdroid on the 1 GB card, I suppose...
*sigh*

Are you serious?! siigghhh. I just wish someone would figure out what the problem is. and lay it out for us i laymen terms...I would be so grateful in the mean time....flashing device....Thank you for replying

bunanson 2011-07-07 15:24

Install nitdroid is not easy. Install nitdroid is not particular easy. Install nitdroid is not particular particular easy.

Being said. It can be done.

The more people writing tutorial, easy approach, pros and cons and pitfall, the more people will find out the right way and report problem. Nit picking and discouraging remarks are uncalled for and has no place in this forum.

Again, being said, point out typo or insufficiency is also helpful too.

mrbilli, I enjoyed your tutorial and your effort. Thanks,

bun

jpala16 2011-07-07 18:07

I've been trying to see and reduce the differences between the installation on the 1GB SD card and the failured installation on the 16GB SD card. I used "diff" linux command to compare them on my desktop PC, and those folders/files that were different (or weren't there at all on the 16GB card) I copied from the first one to the second one. I tried and tried and I've only been able to see the Android logo, and then a blink and again the logo, the blink, the logo, the blink. Impossible. I don't know where is the difference stored, but I can't do it.
Maybe someone smarter or with more knowledge on this could tell what to do...
I disagree bunanson. It was VERY EASY to install it on my 1GB SD card. At first attempt. With the other one hasn't been so easy. It's better to say it has been impossible.

EDIT: Ehr... I just realized that the difference has to be in the phone's filesystem. Maybe this weekend I'll try to see anything.

galogeek 2011-07-07 18:27

Soooo I finally gave in and just installed on the EMMC...works great! super loving it...guess ill just use the 16gb micro for something else...

quick question though...whats the purpose of editing the multiboot item file to idem_device 2 etc..if you have a micro? whats the purpose behind that?

THANKS TO EVERYONE AGAIN!

jpala16 2011-07-07 18:31

I'll have to do it too, I suppose. Did you follow something special, or just the wiki?

MyNokiaN900 2011-07-07 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by galogeek (Post 1045886)
Are you serious?! siigghhh. I just wish someone would figure out what the problem is. and lay it out for us i laymen terms...I would be so grateful in the mean time....flashing device....Thank you for replying

Right, here is me being helpful. The Nitdroid Wiki or Installation page if read from top to bottom works pefectly well if one has followed the instructions and met the prerequisites.

I installed it, but I did find some of the instructions overwhelming at times so what I did was the following.

I created two posts on my blog - How to install Nitdroid N11 Vostok on N900

and

Upgrading Nitdroid N11 Vostok to N12 Umay

NOTE: I did not make those instructions. I copied the instructions I used from the wiki and put them on my post. All the instructions were there already from the wiki. All I did was simplify the process, add some visual aids (screenshots) and left out all the stuff that made no sense or was of no use. So, I am in no way, shape of form claiming that the instructions on my two posts belong to me. They belong to the Maemo Community and the good people who created the Wiki.

I also have MultiBoot with 4 menu items. One menu is running standard kernel, the other Power Kernel and then I have both N11 and N12.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Fabry 2011-07-07 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1045626)
This is supposed to be a cleaner (I ruined that) and with even more effective instructions thread than the other just to install Nitdroid into an SD card.
The pity here is that some 16 GB Class 10 cards ruin this.

Try this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72789
Maybe it could resolve your problems

jpala16 2011-07-08 18:37

So, I finally gave up and installed on eMMC. If someone is in the same shoes as I was, then don't ask me, 'cause I didn't figured out how to solve it.

mrbilli 2011-07-08 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1047248)
So, I finally gave up and installed on eMMC. If someone is in the same shoes as I was, then don't ask me, 'cause I didn't figured out how to solve it.

Congrats on ur success :D :D

bunanson 2011-07-10 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpala16 (Post 1047248)

Oh well, if you still want to try, step to step here.
Cheers,

bun

mrbilli 2011-07-26 14:10

Installed Once again .. successfully on my friends device ..

pian_hacker 2011-08-12 20:16

hye.....help me please...now and urgent

pian_hacker 2011-08-12 20:29

i stuck at /home/user/MyDocs #

what is this...help me please....

mrbilli 2011-08-12 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pian_hacker (Post 1068726)
hye.....help me please...now and urgent

what kind of help u need??

pian_hacker 2011-08-12 20:32

open Xterminal
type Sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs

i have done this proses
then
/home/user/MyDocs #
next is what?

pian_hacker 2011-08-12 20:37

do you has facebook?give me ur email...chat at there more faster...please

mrbilli 2011-08-12 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pian_hacker (Post 1068732)
open Xterminal
type Sudo gainroot
cd MyDocs

i have done this proses
then
/home/user/MyDocs #
next is what?

if your process was complete.. simply follow step 2