maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Porting Sailfish to N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90761)

salahkhani 2013-07-18 10:05

Re: Porting Sailfish to N9

Thanks for the explanation,, I am a bit disappointed cause it will not be ported to N900 & N9.. Well hope the best for Jolla to see the upcoming device.

My hope is to port nemo project to N900 (Fully working OS) and not heavy like maemo 5

_David_ 2013-07-18 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1359786)
Thanks for the explanation,, I am a bit disappointed cause it will not be ported to N900 & N9.. Well hope the best for Jolla to see the upcoming device.

My hope is to port nemo project to N900 (Fully working OS) and not heavy like maemo 5

As well as development costs, Jolla would have to charge for Sailfish because of the licensed components.

But the Nemo team apparently has the rights to distribute them for free (MeeGo legacy).

There's no real reason why Nemo can't be better than Sailfish. Nemo can run Harmattan apps, Sailfish can't.

It's going to take some funky programming to get Harmattan (X11) and Silica apps (Wayland) working on the same phone, but it's surely doable in 1GB.

Morpog 2013-07-18 11:08

I'm sure Nemo will go Wayland too. There is already a working prototype for N9 + wayland + Nemo.

Alecsandru 2013-07-18 11:19

what about n900 and wayland ?

w00t 2013-07-18 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1359786)

Nemo already works on the N900. It lacks people helping to work on stabilising/fixing bugs in the hardware adaptation, though, so feel free to pitch in.

I'm not sure you'll realistically see much improvement in resource requirements. In particular, RAM is a bit tight.

w00t 2013-07-18 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alecsandru (Post 1359800)
what about n900 and wayland ?

Should work. Hasn't been tested. May need a little bit of poking.

Khertan 2013-07-18 13:51

About Nemo ... I ve tryed 5 days ago with last release on n950.

While the OS run well, they need help, the base apps aren't all features complete and stable ... (strange things happen in the email apps) ...

Some of my apps are already working for Nemo, was available on MeeGo COBS ... but as this one died, some dependancies died with it, like Pyside ...

Also nemo will problably switch soon to qt5 with wayland ... but PySide for Qt5 are far from being ready :(

Is there a community repo for Nemo Apps ? (feu apps.formeego.com) ?

_David_ 2013-07-18 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 1359821)
Nemo already works on the N900. It lacks people helping to work on stabilising/fixing bugs in the hardware adaptation, though, so feel free to pitch in.

I'm not sure you'll realistically see much improvement in resource requirements. In particular, RAM is a bit tight.

Has anyone thought to build in RAM compression?

It was attempted on Maemo but given up on because it was more complicated than expected to exclude the cases where it was counterproductive.

It doesn't need to be written now but if it's possible in the future, that would be awesome.

Also, I imagine if the whole thing was built in Thumb2, that would help too.

Netweaver 2013-07-18 15:31

I could think of a few things that would help performance on our poor N900 : Thumb2, using the swap on the eMMC instead of the uSD card (aka flopswap), gcc 4.8 compiler.

But the first and last are difficult, as the whole build infrastructure set-up needs to support it:

Thumb2 looks to be difficult as the N900 is claimed to be not performant enough to run fluid GUIs, of 50-60 fps, when using the SoC thumb erratas that are provided by Pali and other in their uboot/kernel/glibc combination. This due to the now slower context switches. Also the QEMU VM based build infrastructure seems to have a bug when trying to compile Thumb for N900. Btw, these are stskeeps words, not mine.

The latest gcc is also not implemented yet (as far as I know).

So yes, optimizations are still possible but the number of N900 users is falling. And priorities are not always there to for the N900, as expected. Jolla / Sailfish / General Mer is most important now on the infra side, together with the x86 HW adaptations. N9xx HW adaptations were v interesting when there were no devices available but since June there should be at least some Jolla prototypes. Also there was not enough community support testing/developing for Nemo. Think of the whole X11 -> Wayland transition and -related- the Qt4 to Qt5 transition and the new Glacier GUI transition. Everything is in transition :)

Anyway, there are still plenty of Jolla people willing to help Nemo progress on the N9xx, by promising to help out with the new Nemo Glacier UI and other things.
So it's certainly not dead! But they need help, all they can get! Install, test, raise bugs, help fixing.

Just my 2 cents.

jalyst 2013-07-18 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khertan (Post 1359837)
Is there a community repo for Nemo Apps ? (feu apps.formeego.com) ?

Maybe Custodian can prioritise that for openrepos, make it 2nd in line after Harmattan (which he's focussing on now):
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90672