maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish / Pebble users' club (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96061)

MikeHG 2015-10-17 08:46

Sailfish / Pebble users' club

There's already a thread for the daemon (thanks Smoku and co!) http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93399

But I thought it would be good to have a thread for more general discussion about using the two together.

Which watch apps / faces / features work well on Sailfish? Which do not?... That sort of thing. Unfortunately, at least for the Time / Time Steel, you at present need to use an Android device to load the apps / faces, but you can then pair the Pebble with a Jolla phone, and at least some things continue working.

My favourite discovery so far is Gentle Wake. It's a smart alarm (which is to say it monitors your movement for a specified period before you need to wake up, and awakes you gently when you're already stirring). It doesn't do any 'sleep tracking' as such, but I don't really need that. Been using it for the last few days, and it seems to work very well.

Din Time is my watch face, seems pretty sensible, and includes weather which is handy because I haven't found a good / working standalone weather app yet.

mrsellout 2015-10-17 09:33

Re: Sailfish / Pebble users' club

I've been restricted with what I've done with my PT as I broke the screen on my Nexus 7 shortly after taking delivery of my watch :(.

I did notice this on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-and-modular-p

There's a $59 option which gives you GPS and NFC support. The whole project looks really interesting, with so many possibilities, but I don't really have the knowhow, or the time to get something done with it.

wormdrummer 2015-10-17 10:20

To best honest, I love the simplicity of my pebble time and jolla. I get notifications, I can check the weathe, my battery lasts for 10 days.... thats about all that works.

The only thing I wished that worked was the calendar integration and the ability to add/remove apps.

Lets face it, most of the apps for the pebble are useless(all the pedometer apps for example are useless and totally inaccurate)

I tried a galaxy gear s2 and xepria z5 combination and only lasted a few hours before coming back to my faithful jolla and time steel.

Its just a shame we cant convince anyone to update pebbled!!!

Ive offered to pay for it but seems noone is interested.

MikeHG 2015-10-17 10:21

There's a modular smartwatch (modules are parts of the strap) being kickstarted too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lar-smartwatch

I'm a little sceptical as to how well that'll work, but it's an interesting idea.

@wormdrummer - I don't know, it's early days yet since Smoku stopped developing it. I hope somebody else does take it further. RobertMe certainly seemed interested, and we don't know whether he's stopped, hit a hurdle, just been busy...

[eta- worth noting that Smoku has been merging patches as recently as a week ago. I don't know how long he'll want to keep managing the project if he isn't using it, but it's great that he's doing so thus far]

Which weather app are you using?

billranton 2015-10-17 12:17

What needs updating in pebbled? Seems to work pretty well for me.

MikeHG 2015-10-17 12:30

Which watch? On Times, you can't install apps / watchfaces (which is partially workaroundable with another device running Android or probably iOS, but not entirely because apps won't cache on the Sailfish device), and the Time Line support is limited. There's no support as far as I gather for the spate of microphone using apps coming out either, and I don't know how feasible that is - it might well require Android / iOS things that are unportable.

Probably a few other limitations too - I've tried a few apps that won't work, but haven't figured out why. Could be limitations of the daemon / app, could be Sailfish limitations, could be broken apps / buggy watch firmware...

I find it works pretty well (the notifications are better than I expected - you get a summary of the email / text when it actually appears, even if it just says '2 new emails' or whatever if you look in the notifications app afterwards), but these things will presumably become issues for older generation Pebble users too since they're going to get the updated OS sometime soon(tm).

billranton 2015-10-17 14:19

Ah right, I have an original Pebble so I don't see any of these problems. The Time looks a bit too Apple for me. I don't think watches should be spoken to :)

RobertMe 2015-10-18 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHG (Post 1485830)
@wormdrummer - I don't know, it's early days yet since Smoku stopped developing it. I hope somebody else does take it further. RobertMe certainly seemed interested, and we don't know whether he's stopped, hit a hurdle, just been busy...

I'm still alive :) I've started working on my own Pebble app/daemon. Currently this daemon is (only) capable off:
  • Adding and removing timeline pins based on the Jolla Calendar
  • Adding timeline pins for email[1], SMS, missed call
  • Showing and removing [2] notifications for email[1], SMS, missed call, Android WhatsApp [3]
  • Sending apps to the watch when they get requested [4]
  • Running some apps which need to run code on the phone (for internet access, positioning/GPS et cetera) [5]

[1] Details are shown for every single email, based on the new events view of SFOS 2, instead of the "X new emails" of Smokus Pebbled
[2] When the notification gets read on the phone it is also automatically deleted from the Pebble, while the pin, if there is any, is kept
[3] I've decided not to add timeline pins for WhatsApp as that could become a lot
[4] There is yet no support for actually installing apps on the Pebble, but if the app is installed and I put the installation file in a directory on the phone the watch is able to "download" it from the phone.
[5] Support isn't on par with Smokus Pebbled yet, but the missing bits are minor, and shouldn't hurt running most apps.

Some things which still need to happen before I can make a (public) release:
  • Automatic reconnect, it the bluetooth connection is lost it isn't reestablished yet
  • Creating a UI [1]
  • Bugfixing, bugfixing, bugfixing [2]

[1] This will be a lot of work, as I then also need to be able to have some form of communication between the app/UI and the daemon, which I didn't start working on yet.
[2] For example when I receive multiple WhatsApp messages quickly after each other I don't get a notification, or it is immediately removed again

Afterwards I would then be able to work on things like music control, call/phone control, app store support.

wormdrummer 2015-10-18 10:15

Awesome news! Please let us know if we can be of any help.

Quick question, will other apps be supported to receive notifications (such as whatsup instead of whatsapp?)

Very appriciative of your work!

RobertMe 2015-10-18 16:23

There are many areas were help is appropriated. In time I will of course publish to source code so others can contribute. I'll need tests/users who report feedback. And for the notifications I'll need users who can send information about how the app(s) send the notification/the data contained in it, which is relatively easy to do (so yes, support for Whatsup is possible, but as I don't use it I didn't implement it yet and don't know the exact details of how to "get" the notifications).

But in time I will create a new thread so further discussions, feedback, information, ... can handled there.