maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Backup home folder structure? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100668)

ajalkane 2019-02-15 11:34

Backup home folder structure?

Does anyone know where it's stored how you have arranged home's application listing? Ie. what folders you have and in what folder each application has been put?

When I'm switching phones, I've found setting up the application grid to my liking is one of the most arduous processes. I'd like to backup it from old phone and put to new phone.

Markkyboy 2019-02-15 12:34

Re: Backup home folder structure?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1554030)
Does anyone know where it's stored how you have arranged home's application listing? Ie. what folders you have and in what folder each application has been put?

When I'm switching phones, I've found setting up the application grid to my liking is one of the most arduous processes. I'd like to backup it from old phone and put to new phone.

Get your launcher icons how you want them and then save a copy of the file shown below;

/home/nemo/.config/lipstick/applications.menu

This should work, provided that ALL launcher icons are present when you apply your saved 'applications.menu' file

Regards,

ajalkane 2019-02-15 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markkyboy (Post 1554032)
Get your launcher icons how you want them and then save a copy of the file shown below;

This should work, provided that ALL launcher icons are present when you apply your saved 'applications.menu' file

Regards,

Nice. Do you know what happens if not all launcher icons are present? Any problems if installing them later?

Markkyboy 2019-02-15 14:50

It dumps them at the bottom of the launcher. I haven't really experimented to any depth, I just knew where the file was :)

juiceme 2019-02-15 17:45

I think I have advocated it enough but still, rsync is your best friend for all backup purposes.

When I change devices and want everything to be like it was in the old one, I just pull the most recent dump from my server to the new device and it is identical to the old one :)

ajalkane 2019-02-15 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1554041)
I think I have advocated it enough but still, rsync is your best friend for all backup purposes.

Nice to know that it works just like that. I've been a bit wary to copy contents verbatim from one phone to another as it's not clear to me if some things are for example tied to the device (via IMEI or whatever) and could mess up the device.

ajalkane 2019-02-15 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markkyboy (Post 1554032)

Regards,

Just a quick thumbsup that this mostly worked. After doing this, either restart lipstick (for example 'killall lipstick'), or reboot phone.

The folders are there and applications in right places. The different folder icons are not preserved with this, so you have to re-edit those.

But this is as-is anyway a big time saver for me. If anyone knows where the folder icon selections are stored, that'd be nice to know when I next time change phone :D

juiceme 2019-02-16 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1554042)
Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1554041)

Nice to know that it works just like that. I've been a bit wary to copy contents verbatim from one phone to another as it's not clear to me if some things are for example tied to the device (via IMEI or whatever) and could mess up the device.

As long as you backup users home directory there is nothing that should be device dependent. (and everything I know of which is needed to be backupped is under home)