maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Design (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Custom SMILEYS on SMS chat (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62745)

Martini 2010-09-22 20:00

Custom SMILEYS on SMS chat

Hi there guys,
I was checking the maemo forum out for some interesting things. The one of the things I found was the custom smileys for sms chat screen. I would like to add my own png smileys, for example I would love to have the kiss smiley. What I found out was the smiley codes and filenames are being held in the
/usr/bin/rtcom-messaging-ui.launch
But, when I opened it, I didnt find anything to chage or add, because there were no such lines like
chat_smiley_veryhappy...: D..:-D.: d..:-d.
or
chat_smiley_tongue..: P..:-P.: p..:-p.
I did try some of the hex editors, notepads etc, but I dont think there is such line to change the codes of the smileys and smiley images.
So, I am asking for help, you guys, maybe some1 is interested and knows more?
Thanks in advance

JonWW 2010-09-22 20:21

Re: Custom SMILEYS on SMS chat

Check out this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40324
it should be some help to you, if you read it all.

Martini 2010-09-22 20:28

Thanks JonWW for your reply,
as a matter of fact, I got the inspiration exactly from the topic you told :) I read it all, but the deeper problem is in my post :D

zylor 2010-10-06 06:59

looking for this too :p

Martini 2010-10-07 14:52

checked some files from /usr/bin directory, none of them has something to do with smileys :( we need some smartass to push us the the right way :D

NOMIOMI 2011-03-01 16:48

yes me too want more similes its will b great if we alot of similies in sms conversation

Wikiwide 2013-05-31 06:34

Quick reply...
I apologise for waking up the old thread, but in case somebody needs the detailed answer, go to post by Cirne.
Short answer: /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/smilies/user/default.def
Best wishes.

pichlo 2013-05-31 07:04

Yes, that trick helps to get rid of smileys. However the topic as I understand it was replacing the smileys with custom ones. The linked thread deals with that in post #5, but people still forget the IMO crucial bit. All of this will only affect you. I would think that custom smileys only make sense if both parties of the conversation see the same thing. Otherwise you may see a kiss where the other party will see only some strange punctuation. No trick will help you with that.

Wikiwide 2013-05-31 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1348219)
...However the topic as I understand it was replacing the smileys with custom ones. The ... people still forget the IMO crucial bit. All of this will only affect you. I would think that custom smileys only make sense if both parties of the conversation see the same thing. Otherwise you may see a kiss where the other party will see only some strange punctuation. No trick will help you with that.

Well. There is a Fremantle closed package "rtcom-skype-emoticons-theme". Replacing it with a CSSU open package would give the same smileys to all Skype-N900 users. Of course, you would still have to maintain some compatibility with desktop Skype syntax. But, I hope that maintaining the same smileys syntax will not count as using Skype's closed code. And the only problem with images is choosing the most community-suitable style-consistent 24px&48px sized smileys. Personally, what smileys would you prefer to see in N900 Skype? Chatzilla's? Or what another source would you recommend?
Best wishes.

Wikiwide 2013-05-31 13:24

Bumping...
Please, provide feedback: what smileys would you prefer to see in N900 Skype? Otherwise, I will create-or-find twenty five spider-smilies.
Best wishes.