maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [M6] [UNUSABLE!][DEVEL] MeeTeleGram: Telegram Client for N9 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98813)

hedayat 2017-01-27 11:26

[UNUSABLE!][DEVEL] MeeTeleGram: Telegram Client for N9

Dear all,
Finally, I'm doing more work on my Telegram client for N9, but it is not ready yet. However, it does a few things, and I thought that it might be good for me if these few things are also tested by others while it is being created. So, it is currently NOT A USABLE client, and provides very little beyond registration! Also, it provides an UGLY UI, will be improved slowly (I might steal some UI code from other projects, e.g. Wazapp! )...

Don't install this, unless you want to help me testing.

While not usable, I decided to put it on openrepos.net, so that users can easily receive updates (hopefull, there will be frequent updates with small improvements).

You can find the repository here: https://openrepos.net/content/hedaya...dy-meetelegram

What works:
  • Registration with Code
  • List of Contacts
  • List of recent chats
  • Viewing 50 last chats (only text chats!)
What doesnt:
  • Anything Else! Including sending any messages :D

It is using tgl library to access Telegram network (which is what telegram-cli uses). (Unfortunately, it no longer provides the latest API; I hope either it is updated or I can use a different backend in future).

Actually, I was targeting "The 1st Maemo Developer Regatta", so maybe my client will gain most basic features to become 'usable' in a few days. :P

PauloCJ 2017-01-28 16:13

Re: [UNUSABLE!][DEVEL] MeeTeleGram: Telegram Client for N9

Thanks for the initiative

zxcvbnm3230 2017-01-28 17:18

Yay, finally.
Installed. Well, everything stated in "what works" really works)
thank you) hope this project will grow to the fully-functioning client

prosper 2017-01-28 21:20

So happy you didn't give up on this!
New UI based on wazapp would be a great addition as it has similar functionality and is visually appealing. Original telegram is mostly blue/white, but a dark theme suits best for our beloved N9's AMOLED screens.

ibrakalifa 2017-01-29 00:51

So tired about jolla/sailfish post and neo900, and then i saw this, what a truly inspiring

saleki 2017-01-29 15:32

Testing it right now... Everything that supposed to work is working fine here ;-)

Breeze5 2017-01-29 20:11

Nice mate =)
Gonna keep my eyes on the donate button =)

nadir_benmaiza 2017-01-29 21:56

hi .i just installed right now . It ask me to put : first name ,last name and phone number .done after i receved sms with 5 digit after that the app shutdown ,and therevis no caption to insert the 5 digit receved!! Thanks

hedayat 2017-01-30 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadir_benmaiza (Post 1522597)
hi .i just installed right now . It ask me to put : first name ,last name and phone number .done after i receved sms with 5 digit after that the app shutdown ,and therevis no caption to insert the 5 digit receved!! Thanks

Thank you for your report. I've encountered similar issue sometimes (how is your internet connection speed?) and I'm trying to find the issue. Anyway, you might try again (and again!), it should finally work :P
Sorry for any inconvenience. The main goal of releasing so early is to catch such problems as soon as possible. Thanks!

pasko 2017-01-30 19:25

Hi.
Thank you very much for your work.
Is there any way to trace or logs to try to help? I didn't make it to registering the client yet. :)
Regards.

zxcvbnm3230 2017-01-30 21:48

@pasko, you can find logs here:
~/MyDocs/meetelegram.log
~/MyDocs/meetelegram.log.stderr
before publishing them make sure they do not contain any private data (messages, contacts)

@nadir_benmaiza, try registering via web.telegram.org before registering via MeeTeleGram.

Also I must mention that when I registered with MeeTeleGram I did not get any SMS, but what I did get was the message in Telegram desktop. However, I am not sure if this is a bug of MeeTeleGram itself or a bug of my mobile operator (I have transferred my number to another provider recently)

saleki 2017-01-30 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1522635)

Also I must mention that when I registered with MeeTeleGram I did not get any SMS, but what I did get was the message in Telegram desktop. However, I am not sure if this is a bug of MeeTeleGram itself or a bug of my mobile operator (I have transferred my number to another provider recently)

I also got message on my telegram desktop and I didn't get SMS.

hrbani 2017-01-31 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1522635)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saleki (Post 1522640)
I also got message on my telegram desktop and I didn't get SMS.

Hi :)
It is normal. When your are signed in on one (or more) client(s), the code is sent to the clinet(s) at first ;).

zxcvbnm3230 2017-02-01 01:02

New update works like a charm
thank you, @hedayat :)

hedayat 2017-02-01 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1522686)
New update works like a charm
thank you, @hedayat :)

Thanks. Such a description is too good for this app in its current state :p

As bug fixes seems to be allowed in Regatta, I'll hopefully publish some bugfixes in this period, specially the weird crash bug which happens from time to time. I've started chasing it but it seems to happen in some special order of events. Also maybe the sent text should be cleared from the input box! :D

ginggs 2017-02-01 09:15

Hi hedayat, thanks for your work on this!
I've received the 0.2 update a little while a go. No problems so far. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prosper (Post 1522551)
Original telegram is mostly blue/white, but a dark theme suits best for our beloved N9's AMOLED screens.

I too, would prefer a white on black theme, or at least the option to switch.

hedayat 2017-02-02 22:57

A bugfix release is out. Most importantly, I hope that there are no more crashes. If you still experienced crashes after update to 0.2.1, please let me know (if possible, sending logfiles are also appreciated)

blackjack4it 2017-02-03 16:24

Thanks a lot, I hate having all messed up in conversation app.. I hope that one day it'll be an usable app with stickers too so I will take my n900 (that now is taking dust because my primar messaging app is Telegram) operative again!

pasko 2017-02-03 18:21

1 Attachment(s)
Hi.
After many times trying, I hadn't been able to register.

I'm not experiencing any crashes. The client just stays like forever waiting after sendind back the registration code.

Here's the log file I always get when registering. Hope it helps.

Regards.

hedayat 2017-02-03 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasko (Post 1522791)
Hi.
After many times trying, I hadn't been able to register.

I'm not experiencing any crashes. The client just stays like forever waiting after sendind back the registration code.

Here's the log file I always get when registering. Hope it helps.

Regards.

Thank you for testing my app.
Unfortunately, it currently doesn't have enough error reporting functionality :p

It seems that you've enabled 'two step verification' for your telegram account (which needs both a code & a pass code), which is currently not supported (will be supported soon).

Sorry for any inconvenience. For now, the only way for you is to disable two-step verification, register with this app, and enable it again.

pasko 2017-02-04 15:15

Hi.
I'm in !! :D :D

Thank you & keep up the good work!
Regards.

ariaswilliams 2017-02-04 21:13

Funciona para mi.. es un gran aporte, despues de haber quedado a la deriva sin el whatsapp.. Faltan detalles por pulir y otras caracteristicas por agregar, pero muy agradecido por la aplicacion..

pasko 2017-02-08 18:10

Hi.

Small update:
After more than two days running continuously there's no noticeable impact in battery life or memory usage. :D

Regards.

zxcvbnm3230 2017-03-16 21:58

any updates? )

hedayat 2017-03-17 21:48

I've pushed some code, but not that much to create an update. I'm busy right now but I'll try to provide (even small) updates regularly soon.

adague 2017-03-30 15:44

Hi hedayat, thanks for this proyect. I couldn't run the app. After the installation i run it, starts and show a screen loading but nothing else. Where i put my registration code? :confused:
Thanks a lot!

zxcvbnm3230 2017-04-05 18:06

@adague,
sorry for dumb question, but still: are you connected to the internet? :D

hedayat 2017-04-07 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by adague (Post 1526159)
Hi hedayat, thanks for this proyect. I couldn't run the app. After the installation i run it, starts and show a screen loading but nothing else. Where i put my registration code? :confused:
Thanks a lot!

You can send your logs for me to see what happens. But:
1. Connect to internet "before" running the app
2. Make sure you've not enabled two-step authentication, which is currently not supported. If you have, disable it in your other client and register with this app. Then you can re-enable it.

adague 2017-04-07 12:48

Hi zxcvbnm3230 & hedayat, thanks for the reply. The app is working now. Only i restart the phone and it's all.
Thak you!

zxcvbnm3230 2017-04-16 21:40

@hedayat
where does your app store settings? I have terminated all sessions through desktop TG and now I want to relogin into MeeTeleGram, but it only shows the spinner forever)

pasko 2017-04-17 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1526932)
@hedayat
where does your app store settings? I have terminated all sessions through desktop TG and now I want to relogin into MeeTeleGram, but it only shows the spinner forever)

Hi.

For me it worked when I disabled two-factor authentication.

Regards.

hedayat 2017-04-18 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm3230 (Post 1526932)
@hedayat

The settings are stored in /home/user/.local/share/data/MeeTeleGram

Sorry for not handling errors correctly yet :P It'll get better slowly

kwhitefoot 2017-08-23 08:38

I think you should change the title. It is far from unusable.

So this message is just to add a little more pressure on you to add more features.

:D

If you could add voice that would relieve me of a lot of pressure to replace my lovely N9 with some Android junk.

NX500 2017-08-23 11:50

I wouldnt have gotten an iP7 if i knew this app was usable.

hedayat 2017-08-24 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwhitefoot (Post 1533077)
I think you should change the title. It is far from unusable.

So this message is just to add a little more pressure on you to add more features.

:D

If you could add voice that would relieve me of a lot of pressure to replace my lovely N9 with some Android junk.

:"> Wish me the ability to continue this work! But, anyway, don't expect voice anytime soon. There are lots of 'basic' features which should be added before that. Also, there is another problem too: the development of tgl library (on which MeeTeleGram is based) seems to be stopped by its main developer, so I should probably work on that to add newer features such as voice too (But maybe pidgin telegram plugin authors will do that/cooperate in doing that too).

I was also thinking about switching ti libqtelegram, but it is a Qt5 library and porting it to Qt4 proved to be more work than what I expected.

claustn 2017-08-25 12:33

Maybe you can talk with him about the libraries http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...15#post1533215

hedayat 2017-08-25 20:56

The library is different from libqtelegram, and also doesn't look much active either. And it seems to lack the new features too :(

batareya16 2017-12-04 15:10

Please continue to work on the meetelegram. For a long time already there were no updates. And write the manual for assembly in QT creator please

hedayat 2018-02-02 09:06

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, I didn't find much time to work on. But.. I hope so.

About your last sentence, actually I don't understand what it means. But if you mean how it can be compiled, well, I'll try.

Anyway, the library I used is not being developed anymore. However, recently Telegram has announced TDLib, which can be used to develop Telegram clients. If I can use a more recent GCC to compile for N9, I'll try to use that instead, so that we can potentially have a feature-full client. But if anybody else is also willing to work on that, it'd be much better!

mavlep 2018-05-09 12:46

Great work! Everything listed does work.

Please continue!