maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Design (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32935)

GeneralAntilles 2009-10-16 19:36

Re: N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one)

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 348683)
Yeah, I think looking at making startup animation part of a theme by default would be ideal, but will Nokia allow that, or will the community have to make it happen? Any Maemo experts know what we could expect?

Dude, this is Maemo, there are very few situations where "allow" would even come into the picture. ;)

Be better to have a separate setting for startup themes so you're not stuck with whatever happens to come bundled with the theme. It's pretty easy to do manually (even easier than in Diablo, honestly) and getting the control panel would only need to change one line in the .conf.

f(x) 2009-10-16 19:39

I didn't like the first version, but damn!
The new dark version is so nice! You got it right this time :)
Next version, might be dropping ".ORG " as the current one is like making an advertisement which people might not like it.

thecursedfly 2009-10-16 19:39

holy s**t !! the dark version is plain epic!! :D

about the tux thingie, can you try to reduce it a bit in size and place it on the right bottom corner on the place of "Built on Linux"?
Just as a test, an image is more direct; it's a bit like an Intel logo on a pc, you immediately know which cpu it has without a "Powered by an Intel cpu" sentence... :p

claesbas 2009-10-16 19:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by f(x) (Post 348887)
I didn't like the first version, but damn!
The new dark version is so nice! You got it right this time :)
Next version, might be dropping ".ORG " as the current one is like making an advertisement which people might not like it.

There is no logo for Maemo the OS as far as I know. This logo is for the community @ maemo.org..

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecursedfly (Post 348888)
holy s**t !! the dark version is plain epic!! :D

about the tux thingie, can you try to reduce it a bit in size and place it on the right bottom corner on the place of "Built on Linux"?
Just as a test, an image is more direct; it's a bit like an Intel logo on a pc, you immediately know which cpu it has without a "Powered by an Intel cpu" sentence... :p

Cheers! Yea, maybe that could work.. (added screenshot). what you rekon?

f(x) 2009-10-16 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by claesbas (Post 348904)
There is no logo for Maemo the OS as far as I know. This logo is for the community @ maemo.org..

I though you might be able to photoshop it (Removing '.org')
Anyway, you are the artist and you are free to do anything with your project.

Still, In my opinion if you are going to add the tux it will take the main focus of the "maemo.org". So you either remove it or make it more transparent. Also, there is anther possibility to change the whole tux with anther one.

I will keep my eyes on this (Wondering how the final version would looks like ;) )

Edit:
Forget to post this link: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_logo...st_submissions (It might get you interested with anther design)
Edit2:
You can use this Tux http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../b0/NewTux.svg
or tux g2

thecursedfly 2009-10-16 20:04

I was thinking about something like this if it's possible:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5893/attachmentq.png

(sorry for the bad editing, it's just to give an idea :p )

claesbas 2009-10-16 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by f(x) (Post 348920)
Anyway, you are the artist and you are free to do anything with your project.

Still, In my opinion if you are going to add the tux it will take the main focus of the "maemo.org". So you either remove it or make it more transparent. Also, there is anther possibility to change the whole tux with anther one.

I will keep my eyes on this (Wondering how the final version would looks like ;) )

Edit:
Forget to post this link: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_logo...st_submissions (It might get you interested with anther design)

I sure could remove .org but that would be wrong. This is the logo for the community created by Glaubert Oliveira @ OpenBossa Design Team (the winner of the contest in that link you posted, if you search the page with that name you will find this logo). This maemo.org symbol without the .org would mean nothing in a way..

I am not quite sure I like the tux also.. its more clean without in one way

claesbas 2009-10-16 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecursedfly (Post 348927)
I was thinking about something like this if it's possible:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5893/attachmentq.png

(sorry for the bad editing, it's just to give an idea :p )

Mmm, not bad.. thats one good way.. tux speaks for himself. It more clean..

Bratag 2009-10-16 20:10

Me Likey. The light ones music with the dark ones visuals ":)

VDVsx 2009-10-16 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by claesbas (Post 348879)
Was there some green blink there when it changed video? and is it really smooth? there might be settings I can do in the encoders that makes it better..

Yes, there was some green blink at the beginning of the video. I'll test the new version when ready and send feedback ;).

Thanks.

f(x) 2009-10-16 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by claesbas (Post 348935)
I sure could remove .org but that would be wrong. This is the logo for the community created by Glaubert Oliveira @ OpenBossa Design Team (the winner of the contest in that link you posted, if you search the page with that name you will find this logo). This maemo.org symbol without the .org would mean nothing in a way..

I am not quite sure I like the tux also.. its more clean without in one way

I didn't mean it in a bad way, anyway I was thinking more of a logo that you see when booting linux distros (Ubuntu people gets "Ubuntu" and not "Ubuntu.org" when they boots, while Fedora guys getting "Fedora") you got my point.

By the way, I still think you should replace the tux with crystal tux or tux g2 it will be better.

GeneralAntilles 2009-10-16 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by f(x) (Post 348920)

Dropping .org would be a trademark violation and an unacceptable use of the maemo.org logo. :) Ubuntu doesn't use Ubuntu.org for their logo because they aren't Ubuntu.org, they're Ubuntu. We, however, are maemo.org. Maemo would be Nokia.

f(x) 2009-10-16 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 348955)
Dropping .org would be a trademark violation and an unacceptable use of the maemo.org logo. :) Ubuntu doesn't use Ubuntu.org for their logo because they aren't Ubuntu.org, they're Ubuntu. We, however, are maemo.org. Maemo would be Nokia.

lol! Glade you mention it!
I don't know how forget that.
As I am prepearing for my dinner, you deserve now half of it :P

Quindor 2009-10-16 20:31

Very very very nice. I like the black version even more then the white one! Truely getting somewhere with this! :D

yerga 2009-10-16 20:46

When I saw this I thought "wow, this is very nice", but now I have seen it in the N900 and I think "wow, this is awesome!!".

Kudos claesbas!

christexaport 2009-10-16 22:12

I know Nokia won't like it, but I'd like to see the Nokia shaking hands explode into this. Its my phone, afterall.

Dactar 2009-10-16 22:36

Perfect, just one thing :

Please replace "Built on Linux" by "Built on Debian GNU / Linux" :p

thecursedfly 2009-10-16 23:31

please don't :B

CoreFusion 2009-10-16 23:40

I must say that the Dark one is looking really really good, definitely going to put that for my N900 :)

Thank you for that!

b-man 2009-10-17 02:30

Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to create a control pannel applet that allows you to enable themable splash screens without having to use the terminal - kinda like how you switch a theme for the desktop ;)

allnameswereout 2009-10-17 02:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 349081)
I know Nokia won't like it, but I'd like to see the Nokia shaking hands explode into this. Its my phone, afterall.

..your device, their copyright & trademark..

claesbas 2009-10-17 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-man (Post 349273)
Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to create a control pannel applet that allows you to enable themable splash screens without having to use the terminal - kinda like how you switch a theme for the desktop ;)

Ok, Ill start a new thread on this subject then.. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...436#post349436

christexaport 2009-10-17 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 349286)
..your device, their copyright & trademark..

Not knowing if you're an expert or anything, if I make something like I mentioned above, and don't distribute it, just use it on my personal device, would I be breaking any laws?

optimaxxx 2009-10-18 04:09

As in i know tux is a penguin
but couldn't you get say this:

http://www.etiquetteer.com/images/Tuxedo.jpg

cut off his head like in this pic;

http://www.balloonmaniacs.com/images...edoballoon.jpg

and just have classy "tux(edo)" sitting atop the name. Like how they use the johnny walker
(http://www.logobob.com/logodesignhis...alker.logo.jpg)

just an idea, love these vids :D

claesbas 2009-10-18 15:49

1 Attachment(s)
I have to stop tweaking this! It eats my time.. but is fun and I needed a project to get back into AE again.

I have now done a 12sec flyby version which rendered over night. Im quite happy with the result, the sound needs some work though.

I have updated first post with links and info.. cheers!

rcull 2009-10-18 15:59

Definitely the best yet.

thecursedfly 2009-10-18 20:47

It's really awesome.

wazd 2009-10-18 21:31

@flyby
I'd rather remove all logos (copyrights?) and that bling-bling (looks odd :) ). Also try to make camera move without that jump in the middle, just circle motion (for example, start facing to the front of G letter and circle logo)

YoDude 2009-10-18 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by claesbas (Post 350375)
I have to stop tweaking this! It eats my time.. but is fun and I needed a project to get back into AE again.

I have now done a 12sec flyby version which rendered over night. Im quite happy with the result, the sound needs some work though.

I have updated first post with links and info.. cheers!

Wow...

>> http://maemo-freak.com/index.php/hac...boot-animation

Kozzi 2009-10-18 21:53

lol, can't help but stare at the flyby version, it's awesome.

Quindor 2009-10-18 21:55

The new flyby is absolutely great!! Maybe, for the fun of it, make a little blueish ball on that plane with the nokia logo on it? Just to give them some "easter egg" tribute? ;)

claesbas 2009-10-18 22:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wazd (Post 350649)
@flyby
I'd rather remove all logos (copyrights?) and that bling-bling (looks odd :) ). Also try to make camera move without that jump in the middle, just circle motion (for example, start facing to the front of G letter and circle logo)

Mm, I feared it was a copyright issue.. I guess you are never allowed to use a logo like this; mabe type it in plain letters? Qt Gnome X.Org etc? I'd like to join the "Open..." text to something concrete "open-sourcish". Ideas?

The bling bling is not perfect aye, what do you think could be done to improve? quicker? smaller? With out then I feel the screen is just to still for a few secs.. after all that motion.

Yea, I will try to work on a diffrent camera movement.. its hard to get a feel and the render times are so painfully long. hehe. I like when it goes thorugh the o.. escpecially the sound, kinda crystal echo swoop going through there..

I had lots of artifacts in some frame renders which I had to remove manually i photoshop (see screens). After 18hours of render I just hade to save it :) Im glad I can work on my website during renders. thank god for quad cores.

I would like to play with the lightning in the animation also.. have and idea of it starting very dark. And then each light turns on during the camera movement fiinishing with all lights on the logo..

claesbas 2009-10-18 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindor (Post 350665)
The new flyby is absolutely great!! Maybe, for the fun of it, make a little blueish ball on that plane with the nokia logo on it? Just to give them some "easter egg" tribute? ;)

thank you, I like logos too but there is copyright problems I suppose with all logos

anidel 2009-10-18 22:52

Thank you :)

Just added it after the Nokia hands.. it's awesome.

Bundyo 2009-10-18 23:25

Yup :)

http://www.bundyo.com/video/MVI_3001.mp4

claesbas 2009-10-18 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 350718)

:D thank you! No green frame blink as seen in VDVsx video.. thats good!

christexaport 2009-10-19 03:04

Anyone gonna do a traditional video file instead? Maybe show off the baby or something? Just wondering. Since it can be any video.

claesbas 2009-10-19 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by christexaport (Post 350841)
Anyone gonna do a traditional video file instead? Maybe show off the baby or something? Just wondering. Since it can be any video.

I suppose it will be very easy just to record something with the builtin videocamera and then put it in the startup script.. quite nice

SubCore 2009-10-19 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoDude (Post 350653)

"The .Org" sounds awful...

@christexaport
that's your site, right? why not use "t.m.o" like everyone else?

christexaport 2009-10-19 21:02

Its just something from the Symbian side, and it relates to the readers there. I'll try to use T.M.O more, but its so close to TMo the carrier, its confusing sometimes. I'm all for letting the public dictate it, but I can start saying Maemo.org. But The .Org is SO cool, I wish I'd thought of it first. Why does it bother you guys? You're rock stars in the cellphone world now! With legend comes nicknames and fandom. Its not so bad... is it?