maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   N800 Parts or Lack there of, Nokia lets me down again! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=8318)

penguinbait 2007-07-31 17:37

N800 Parts or Lack there of, Nokia lets me down again!

For those that have contacted me in the past three weeks, you might have noticed I was not responding. I have been on a trip across USA. In the process of my adventures, my n800 has become a little beat up. I broke my flip stand, and my latch on my back cover. Oh well I figured, I would call Nokia and order the parts I need, it can't cost that much, right? Well great news, Nokia says they will replace it for free, they will send me the parts. Sounds terriffic. Oh but wait, we do not have these parts in stock, call back and check in 2 weeks and see if we have the parts.

I will happily pay for them, but Nokia will not sell them to me. I have asked to be placed on a list to be sent or sold them when they are available. Sorry will will have to just keep calling back.

I continue to press and ask to be sent them when they become available, I am told to search ebay, or call back in two weeks.

WTF -- Nokia continues to disappoint me when it comes to customer service. They have a problem from the top down. I figured the person I was talking to just did not want to do there job, so I called back, and again got the same lines.

What a bunch of crap, should I throw out my 400$ device, because a 5$ part is broken.

Nokia, again you disappoint me with your lack of caring about my problems.

WasabiHot 2007-07-31 17:41

Re: N800 Parts or Lack there of, Nokia lets me down again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinbait (Post 64395)
... What a bunch of crap, should I throw out my 400$ device, because a 5$ part is broken. ...

Clearly, that is the only way Nokia will learn. :p

Seriously, I can't believe they wouldn't put you on a list.

zerojay 2007-07-31 20:26

I have to say that mine's gotten a little more beat up over the last two weeks as well.

Texrat 2007-07-31 20:38

Sorry to hear about your experience, pb, but seriously: if parts aren't available, they're not available. Not just for you, but for anyone. So I realize you're speaking from personal frustration, but there's no vendetta against you by Nokia.

I think we've already established that the reverse logistics for the tablets are horrid. I've been beating the drum for some time now, and was recently given reason to believe the shortcomings are being addressed. So it may be cold comfort to you in your moment of dire need but I have faith the gaps are being filled and will continue to be.

But, some things to consider:

-There haven't been huge stand failure rates (in fact they've been pleasantly small) which may have created certain assumptions inhouse about preparing for such events. I'm thinking that replacement stocks were very low and then depleted very rapidly by a cluster of requests. In addition, repair competes with original supply and Nokia employs lean manufacturing techniques that very likely don't allow for a reasonable surplus of parts.

-The company began a HUGE overhaul in June (I cannot possibly overstate that) which is significantly impacting everyone, especially logistics (where I was just moved). It will take a while for this to settle. It is unfortunate for customers, but it is what it is.

Neither of these points are meant to excuse abyssmal support. However, I'm hoping it will help by at least providing some background.

Be persistent. You will get your parts.

fpp 2007-07-31 21:22

Penguin, in the meantime you could get one of those cheap 770s while they last, to carry on the road. They don't get beat up nearly so easily :-)

DataPath 2007-08-01 00:00

eBay? Either to get one with the parts, or to get money for yours as parts for someone else?

RioT 2007-08-01 07:06

yeah... I thought the n800 would be a great thing to view manuals on wile Im "business" trips... Its just not cut out for army life.

Now what I would LOVE to see is a case mod putting the n800 is a 770 shell. I would probably buy a 770 just to do it.

penguinbait 2007-08-01 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 64460)
Sorry to hear about your experience, pb, but seriously: if parts aren't available, they're not available. Not just for you, but for anyone. So I realize you're speaking from personal frustration, but there's no vendetta against you by Nokia.

I think we've already established that the reverse logistics for the tablets are horrid. I've been beating the drum for some time now, and was recently given reason to believe the shortcomings are being addressed. So it may be cold comfort to you in your moment of dire need but I have faith the gaps are being filled and will continue to be.

But, some things to consider:

-There haven't been huge stand failure rates (in fact they've been pleasantly small) which may have created certain assumptions inhouse about preparing for such events. I'm thinking that replacement stocks were very low and then depleted very rapidly by a cluster of requests. In addition, repair competes with original supply and Nokia employs lean manufacturing techniques that very likely don't allow for a reasonable surplus of parts.

-The company began a HUGE overhaul in June (I cannot possibly overstate that) which is significantly impacting everyone, especially logistics (where I was just moved). It will take a while for this to settle. It is unfortunate for customers, but it is what it is.

Neither of these points are meant to excuse abyssmal support. However, I'm hoping it will help by at least providing some background.

Be persistent. You will get your parts.

Did I really say I thought Nokia has a vendetta against me, no I do not think I said that. My point, which I thought was clear, is that the problem of not having parts is Nokia's problem, why can they not put me on a list and send them when available. Its not a matter of there being a parts shortage, its a matter of how you handle your customers requests. It should be shipped when the parts are available, I should not have to call back and keep spending my time trying to find out if they have parts yet.

some thing to consider, huh?

"-There haven't been huge stand failure rates (in fact they've been pleasantly small) which may have created certain assumptions inhouse about preparing for such events."

Well if you tell the people that call in with failures to call back when there is parts and never make any attempt to record these failures, it does not surprise me parts are not available. The fact that they refused to record the calls and plan for parts seems like a purposeful act to me.

I will continue to call in everyday and ask until they are available and I will continue to think that Nokia's customer service policies suck, because they do, and I completely understand that they suck for everyone, not just me :cool:

Texrat 2007-08-01 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinbait (Post 64617)
Did I really say I thought Nokia has a vendetta against me, no I do not think I said that. My point, which I thought was clear, is that the problem of not having parts is Nokia's problem, why can they not put me on a list and send them when available. Its not a matter of there being a parts shortage, its a matter of how you handle your customers requests. It should be shipped when the parts are available, I should not have to call back and keep spending my time trying to find out if they have parts yet.

some thing to consider, huh?

"-There haven't been huge stand failure rates (in fact they've been pleasantly small) which may have created certain assumptions inhouse about preparing for such events."

Well if you tell the people that call in with failures to call back when there is parts and never make any attempt to record these failures, it does not surprise me parts are not available. The fact that they refused to record the calls and plan for parts seems like a purposeful act to me.

I will continue to call in everyday and ask until they are available and I will continue to think that Nokia's customer service policies suck, because they do, and I completely understand that they suck for everyone, not just me :cool:

You might want to relax there a bit before something bursts. I didn't say you said Nokia had a vendetta against you. It was a facetious comment.

And I have acknowledged the reverse logistics problems many, many times and do not excuse them. Again, I simply provided you some background info. That is very, very clear in my post, which you quoted and appear to have read.

Seriously, though, I recommend an herbal sedative. Try kava kava. It'll make you less prone to outbursts and make your wait for parts go by without a care.

penguinbait 2007-08-01 14:26

have you always been such a penis?

Maybe you have to work for Nokia to have such low expectations?