maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Problems Flashing XPeria X (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100132)

stickymick 2018-01-03 21:06

Problems Flashing XPeria X

Hi guys.
First off, I thought I'd start a new thread rather than get this all mixed up in the other XPeria X thread.

So far I have an XPeria X with an unlocked bootloader and I'm following the instructions on the Jolla site.
So far I have installed Emma, and when plugging the USB lead in (while holding volume down button) I'm getting the green light.
But when I start Emma it tells me the device is locked.
I've also tried to install the Google USB drivers but cannot find the "Extras" folder in Android Studio.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

LouisDK 2018-01-03 21:44

Re: Problems Flashing XPeria X

Did you remember to enable both USB and OEM unlocking in settings?

stickymick 2018-01-04 05:57

Yep. All that is done.
Instructions are not the easiest to follow, the Jolla and Android steps seem to contradict themselves in a lot of cases. Like there's no telling how far you need to go when dealing with the Android side of it.

nieldk 2018-01-04 07:05

If Emma says 'The phone is locked' you didnt unlock the bootloader yet.

Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and follow instructions for unlocking (needs your IMEI).

To check if you CAN unlock the bootloader

1: In your device, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

2: Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status.

If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can unlock. If it says No, or if the status is missing, you cannot unlock (read: cant install SFOS)

rob_kouw 2018-01-04 08:30

And there is another thread on this subject, apart from the general Xperia X thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99703

juiceme 2018-01-04 11:10

Why are you using the Emma-thing in the first place?

If you update your XperiaX to the latest android fix by Sony, you can ditch the windoze stuff and flash it directly with fastboot...
That's what I did and installation went like on rails :)

aspergerguy 2018-01-04 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1539922)
So far I have installed Emma, and when plugging the USB lead in (while holding volume down button) I'm getting the green light.

Did you also try connecting to Emma holding the volume up key to see if some extra drivers installed?

I'm sure that you'll get it sorted but PM me if problems and sure that we can work something out.;)

stickymick 2018-01-04 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_kouw (Post 1539930)
And there is another thread on this subject, apart from the general Xperia X thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99703

Bootloader's already unlocked, unless installing an update since has locked it again. But everything in developer mode settings is still set up as per instructions.

stickymick 2018-01-04 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nieldk (Post 1539928)
If Emma says 'The phone is locked' you didnt unlock the bootloader yet.

Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and follow instructions for unlocking (needs your IMEI).

To check if you CAN unlock the bootloader

1: In your device, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

2: Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status.

If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can unlock. If it says No, or if the status is missing, you cannot unlock (read: cant install SFOS)

Got "Yes" on that one. Like I've explained, it's already unlocked, I remember getting the key and typing it in.

stickymick 2018-01-04 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1539934)
Why are you using the Emma-thing in the first place?

If you update your XperiaX to the latest android fix by Sony, you can ditch the windoze stuff and flash it directly with fastboot...
That's what I did and installation went like on rails :)

I'll have a look at this some time.

rob_kouw 2018-01-05 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1539937)
Bootloader's already unlocked, unless installing an update since has locked it again. But everything in developer mode settings is still set up as per instructions.

I struggled with it before the official release from Jolla. In the end getting the right drivers for Windows solved it.

nieldk 2018-01-05 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_kouw (Post 1539948)
I struggled with it before the official release from Jolla. In the end getting the right drivers for Windows solved it.

Yes, I really suggest using flashtool - it also have the option to install the drivers - will even tell you you need to install drivers.

stickymick 2018-01-05 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob_kouw (Post 1539948)

Have a link for that one?

Found a load of apps claiming to be called Flashtool.

stickymick 2018-01-05 21:49

OK, so far everything hasn't worked.
Windows on my desktop (10) cannot find any drivers for the phone, even though I have downloaded them from Sony's website and told "Update Drivers" where they are..
I'm going to try my Windows 7 laptop and see how that behaves.

nieldk 2018-01-06 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1539985)
Have a link for that one?

Found a load of apps claiming to be called Flashtool.

http://www.flashtool.net/downloads.php

stickymick 2018-01-06 20:54

Thanks nieldk. :)

Having no luck whatsoever with this. :mad:
Even tried Windows 7 and getting the same cr@p about Windows not finding a driver for the phone despite re-downloading from Sony's website and starting from scratch.

If anyone cares to have a go I'll gladly send the phone to you. It'll have to be a UK address though.

caa 2018-01-07 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1540006)
Even tried Windows 7 and getting the same cr@p about Windows not finding a driver for the phone despite re-downloading from Sony's website and starting from scratch.

The instructions in section 2, on the Jolla website are missing a couple of steps which could cause a little confusion. The correct instructions should be:

(The lines I have added are in bold)

Quote:

If your Windows finds the fastboot driver for you device automatically, you can skip to section 3. If the driver is not found you need to install the driver manually, here are the instructions to do so:

2.0 While the device is off: Hold down the Volume Up button on the device and connect your device to your computer via USB. The LED next to the speaker on the device should light up blue.
2.1 Download the Xperia™ X fastboot drivers from Sony’s website.
2.1.1 Right click the xperia-x-driver.zip file, and click Properties, if there is a checkbox labeled 'Unblock' then tick it and click OK.
2.2 Right click the xperia-x-driver.zip file, and click “Extract” it to a directory.
2.3 Open the ‘Device Manager’:
2.3.1 On Windows 7, right-click the ‘Computer’ icon on the desktop and choose ‘Manage’. When the Computer Management application appears, choose the ‘Device Manager’ in the tree.
2.3.2 On Windows 8 & 10, Device Manager can be found by right-clicking the Start button, or by pressing Windows+X on the keyboard.
2.3.3 In Device Manager, click the 'View' menu option, then ensure 'Show hidden devices' is checked.
2.4 Find the ‘S1Boot Fastboot’ device in the tree. If it is not correctly installed, it will show a warning sign.
2.5 Right-click it and choose ‘Update driver’
2.6 then ‘Browse my computer for driver software’,
2.7 Select “Let me pick from a list of available drives on my computer”
2.8 Select “Show All Devices”
2.9 Select “Have disk…”
2.10 Select “Browse …” and go to the directory where you extracted the driver package at step 2.2
2.11 Select the driver information file called ‘sa0114adb’ in that directory and click “Open”
2.12 Click “OK”
2.13 Then you should see “Sony sa0114 ADB Interface Driver” in the “Model” list.
2.14 Click “Next”
2.15 Then you might see “Update Driver Warning” for this you need to select “Yes”
2.16 After this you should see “Windows has sucessfully updated your drivers” and you can click “Close”
Now your device will be ready for unlocking.

juiceme 2018-01-07 12:14

Quote:

I am not really surprised since windows is not meant for that kind of work. (or any other kind of work either really IMHO)

stickymick 2018-01-07 13:21

Firstly. Thanks to caa for taking the time to hammer all that out. Bet your keyboard's worn out now.

Just booting up my Win 7 laptop and I'll give it a try.
If that lot doesn't work I'll go get my Ubuntu laptop.

stickymick 2018-01-07 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1540013)
I am not really surprised since windows is not meant for that kind of work. (or any other kind of work either really IMHO)

Yeah, I always had problems getting Windows XP to install the drivers for the N900. Never tried it Windows 10 yet. Probably have the same issues.

nieldk 2018-01-08 08:31

Quote:

If anyone cares to have a go I'll gladly send the phone to you. It'll have to be a UK address though.

It really is quite simple, from flashtool menu, choose install drivers, and select fastboot, flashmode drivers.

For windows 10 (and 8) you need to disable driver signature verification:

run cmd.exe - as Administrator (right click -> Run as administrator, from search)

type this command:

Code:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

reboot and install drivers as mentioned (Agree to installing unsigned drivers when you see the pop-up) Drivers should be correctly installed now.

stickymick 2018-01-08 17:29

I've got the drivers installed now, thanks to caa, but when I now start the flashing process I'm told that the device isn't unlocked. :confused: :mad:

rfa 2018-01-08 19:17

make sure location (find my Xperia) is turned off.

aspergerguy 2018-01-08 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickymick (Post 1540048)
I've got the drivers installed now, thanks to caa, but when I now start the flashing process I'm told that the device isn't unlocked. :confused: :mad:

Sounds like bootloader is not unlocked, did you get confirmation both in terminal and device UI?

There has been a report where seemingly OP had unlocked bootloader, but this was not the case:https://together.jolla.com/question/...ia-x-bootloop/

stickymick 2018-01-09 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfa (Post 1540053)
make sure location (find my Xperia) is turned off.

Yup. Turned off. I haven't set anything up on the handset at all, just been getting the Sony/Android updates.