maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How many of you still use N900 as main phone? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88888)

lucas777 2013-01-31 00:26

How many of you still use N900 as main phone?

Just a quick thought I was interested in is to how many people on this
Forum actually still use n900 today as their main phone?

Since its release I've had and owned around 7 N900s sold one got iPhone sold iPhone back to n900 sold that got n9 sold that back to n900 you can get where I'm going with it.

I missed it so much I always had to go bak to it but when I had it I got more frustrated with little things as of now

I own two n900s ones dead from cssu devel and I have no USB port so it's gone. 2nd one I have is in mint well almost mint condition which I just bought few weeks ago. Started using it as main phone but it just sits on tv now and I'm using my iphone 4 (yes I know) and a galaxy s3 and android is super customisable but I'm honestly sick and tired of android I really am. Plus as I get older the thought of hacking and tweaking devices is just not as fun as it used to be hence why I'm using iPhone.

Anyway so the question was how many of you still to this day 3/4 years later still using the n900 and why?

dzano 2013-01-31 00:40

Re: How many of you still use N900 as main phone?

I do...as main and only phone! :)
Why don't you fix hat USB port? If you disassamble phone, it won't cost more than 5 € to solder it back.

visN900 2013-01-31 00:46

me.. it was my first smartphone and it will be my last..

PS: from my new N900 :D

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-31 00:48

I am using both my N9 & N900

N9 being the primary one. But I enjoy my maemo5 time more, so...

Xenolith0 2013-01-31 00:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucas777 (Post 1319280)
Just a quick thought I was interested in is to how many people on this
Forum actually still use n900 today as their main phone?
[...snip...]
Anyway so the question was how many of you still to this day 3/4 years later still using the n900 and why?

I still use my n900 for a few reasons:
1) Most of the time I'm some place that as free wifi. The n900 combined with TOR and LocalPhone mean I basically have a free cell phone. The few times that I NEED a phone with me I have a cheap pre-paid phone that usually ends up costing me about $5/mo through Verizon.

2) The fact the it's the only smart phone (that I'm aware of) that has Rockbox. Once you get Rockbox customized no other music player comes close. Managing a library of currently 7251 songs coming in at 27GB would be a nightmare in anything else on a smart phone.

3) nmap, aircrack-ng, wireshark, and other fun tools.

4) TRUE GNU/Linux environment, I've tried rooted android devices, but busybox just doesn't do it for me. My job revolves around Linux, being able to scp files from or to my phone, or worst case piping data through nc and gpg2, are things that are hard or impossible on another device.

5) And finally, I paid something like $550 for it new, and it's going to give me atleast another 6 years even if I have to hot-glue and duct-tape it together.

I've yet to encounter the broken USB port so many others have, so far I am crossing my fingers. Battery life has been the thing I'm more disappointed it, I've been considering building a dual battery.

Wikiwide 2013-01-31 01:10

Quick reply...
N900 is my primary phone, and is likely to remain as such.
Best wishes.

lucas777 2013-01-31 01:13

Thanks for the replys as to the question above I don't think I can fix it as I've lost the USB piece to it not sure if its possible to acquire one anywhere?

droll 2013-01-31 02:48

same thing here. n900 has been and always will be my primary phone. the only contender i can see in the far away horizon is ubuntu for phone. but until then, this baby stays by my side. :)

atamariya 2013-01-31 03:33

I still use N900 as my only phone since 2010. I can't do without the FM transmitter and 32GB of storage.

Ken-Young 2013-01-31 04:25

My N900 is still my main phone. I've got a spare, just in case the active one dies. I've bought four N900s in all. One was stolen, one given away. I have an N950 running Nemo which I play with, but It really isn't usable as a smartphone.

stlpaul 2013-01-31 04:47

My only phone since 2009 when I bought it, no other phone has even tempted me. I use it mainly as pocket linux computer, my favorite features are the desktop-like linux distro and the hardware keyboard. It basically made my laptop obsolete.

chill 2013-01-31 05:41

I do, because I don't want to spend money on another smartphone and have to learn to deal with a whole new set of issues. I've even considered going back to a dumbphone just to get that great reliability back...Meanwhile I am trying to use the N900 as best I can. Right now, if only if would:

- reliably send, receive and display SMS and IM (without e.g. messages being stuck and not sent)

- show the lock screen every time I push the power button

- not get stuck with the blurred screen when I'm about to make a phone call

I've recently used it to good effect (if with an unhappy ending), see here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88756

bingomion 2013-01-31 05:49

primary phone here too... :)

martinwozenilek 2013-01-31 05:55

i'm also using the n900 as my main phone. got a samsung s3. but that was boring! got now a second spare n900 and found a very good source for ORIGINAL spare parts. my n900 looks like new! :)

i really like the openes of this phone! and i will use it as long as the ecosystem, means this community and the volunteers and the maemo.org, are alive. when this fades away i will switch to another system.

sulu 2013-01-31 06:42

Here's another N900 user and I'll most likely stay one until the device (and it's backup device in my closet) dies.

What I need is a small pocket linux computer (vpn, ssh, standardized reference platform - read: Easy Debian) with hw keyboard that's able to make phone calls and go online via cellular networks).
Frankly the N900 sucks at doing that. Maemo is dependency hell at its best, the watchdog is giving me headaches, I start to feel that my demands are limited by the hardware and to make things even worse I'm all thumbs so I almost break my fingers using the keyboard (e.g. my fist name starts with an "A" and I find it horrible to input characters that require to press two adjacent keys on a diagonal).

The sad truth is, that the N900 with all its flaws is still the best device out there for my needs. I've tried a couple of android devices (most without keyboard) and they usually feel great for the first 30 seconds or so. But then I try to accomplish one of my every-day tasks and have to realize that the kernel doesn't support tun devices, that there's no posix shell, no way to load an X-Server or something similar.

Bottom line:
I'll be the first one to throw my N900 away if there's another device on the market that suits my needs better, but I don't see that coming at all. All I can see out there are shiny toys.

Wreck 2013-01-31 07:04

Still using the N900 as my main phone yeah. The only reason is that I am too poor to buy a new phone. Since I do realise the browser and other tiny functions just can't keep up with the newer phones.

But even if I would buy a new phone, I will keep the N900 with me because it's the best phone i've had. And you will still get positive reactions from people who actually know the phone :D

Akkumaru 2013-01-31 07:06

I would, if only I could flash it. I have no 32 bit computers and the 64 bit workaround never worked. Pity me. But, I will continue on trying to revive this beast of a phone. :)

nicholes 2013-01-31 07:12

Some of my hardware keys not working . even my physical lock key is dead.my camera dead meanwhile but it is working now.

And i am still happy that i am using this great device as a main phone

Garrett_PL 2013-01-31 07:25

Main device here as well, and back up (brand new) waiting for it's turn.

Nutty 2013-01-31 07:38

I do... well, I have nitdrdoid installed, and everything still works in my N900, I only flashed it twice, I don't need a new phone! It's perfect! :D

praveenchand 2013-01-31 07:39

I am using both N9 & N900....N9 for 3G voice calls (private number)...event feed integration makes it primary ....N900 for VOIP calls and official calls....

lokimotive 2013-01-31 07:46

I still use the N900 as primary phone too, although for a year or so I switched to an Android phone - But I came back to the N900. You just can't compare a full-fledged, open Linux system to those walled garden Android devices.

Btw:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1319330)
I would, if only I could flash it. I have no 32 bit computers and the 64 bit workaround never worked. Pity me. But, I will continue on trying to revive this beast of a phone. :)

Couldn't you just set up a 32 bit virtual machine?

martinwozenilek 2013-01-31 07:54

I really don't understand what never phones should make better. Quad Core CPUs. Well, maybe you need them when you're using a java virtual machine on your smartphone, like android does. All other is just software based. Whatever is wanted or needed we just need to code it. The hardware of the N900 is still sufficient. Ok, a real touch screen would be nice ... but that's the only thing i'm missing.

Android_808 2013-01-31 08:27

got my n900 a few months after release along with official case and still use everyday. bought a new battery last summer as backup during holidays for photos and now has a 64gb sdxc

Dragoss91 2013-01-31 08:33

N9 is my primary one but I used n900 few times when I got bored of n9 . I would say I would use more N900 if battery life would be better and os smoother . I like them both and I won't sell any of it .

Jerex 2013-01-31 08:53

Hi All,

Count me in as well! I've been using my N900 as my sole main phone since I got it in early 2010, and I've been loving it ever since.

Although the hardware is old compared to what's out there now, for me there just doesn't seem to be any other mobile OS that comes close to Maemo's combination of flexibility, openness, customisation, and capability. It really is more like a pocket computer rather than just a smartphone. And the true multitasking implementation has yet to be matched.

Apart from Maemo I also really love the hardware keyboard (such a rarity these days) and perhaps most of all, I really love this awesome community! It's a key reason why I stick with my N900. If the support from everyone on Maemo.org died I would probably have moved on.

The fancy hardware of new phones does tempt me, but having used iOS (iPhones and iPad in family) and Android (4.0 on my Sony Walkman Z) I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed, particularly with Android which I find messy, sluggish and boring. I'm keeping an eye on the developments of Jolla, Tizen, Ubuntu and Firefox, but doubt I will be changing for a good while.

I'm now looking forward to 'upgrading' my N900 by reflashing and installing CSSU-Thumb as well as some other new apps I've been waiting to try. Here's to another few years!

Halftux 2013-01-31 10:36

I own 2x A780, 1x Freerunner, 2x N900 and 1x N950.

My daily phone for work and private use are the N900. Only when I go for holidays I replace my private N900 with an A780. Because I don't want to loose or break two N900 on same time.

When a N900 will break I will replace it with N900. Maybe if the community kernel for N9(50) will be finished I will buy a N9 for play around. I also tried Nemo with my N950 it is getting better but can not think about to use N9 as main phone.

n900d-i-y 2013-01-31 10:38

I have two. One as a primary phone, the other as a backup experiment phone. I picked up the second one for $60.00 because it was advertised as broken on ebay, all it needed was to be flashed. I like to think of my n900 as the little phone that can.

acrux 2013-01-31 10:57

Still my only phone. Bought it in December 2010 to replace my NokiaN82. In terms of camera it was a slight downgrade (xenon flash etc ;) ), but otherwise... Currently no plans to replace it because there is no alternative at moment :D

Dave999 2013-01-31 11:02

I'm really impressed by all of you that have n900 as main and only phone. At the same time I feel a bit sad for you. But I guess if you are happy it's fine by me. I'm happy.

Personally I love the phone, but it can't live up to what I expected from a device 2013,even if it has a few unique features.

martinwozenilek 2013-01-31 11:03

Reading all this it's very hard to understand why Nokia canceled this great project!

Cue 2013-01-31 11:09

Make the thread a poll. Then people can reply yes or no quickly. Just a thought.

iceskateclog 2013-01-31 11:26

Using one since the end of 2010. Bought second one last year in case first one breaks.

Was looking few times for a replacement, but it is hard to find something with keyboard here

HELLASISGREECE 2013-01-31 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceskateclog (Post 1319400)
Using one since the end of 2010. Bought second one last year in case first one breaks

Was looking few times for a replacement, but it is hard to find something with keyboard here

I really have to do the same. I am thinking about it for almost a year now (!)

have to buy a second N900.

j0zeph 2013-01-31 12:30

me too
using n900 as main phone and pretty happy with it

electroaudio 2013-01-31 12:46

Mee too..

Ofcourse the only useable alternative to N900 would be a ~10 year old N9xx0 ... maybe the even the browser on those would be useful now with todays mobile webpages?

Todays phones are just too primitive so they are not an alterntive...

jackburton 2013-01-31 12:55

Using the N900 daily. Love it. Best phone/IM/communication device I have ever owned. Main reason I'm sticking with it now is the fact it can do wi-fi sharing no problem (QtMobileHotspot) and the Bluetooth tethering is perfect with my iPod Touch and Nexus 7. I don't use N900 anymore for browsing, I tether with an iPod Touch for that. Plus, I get all the apps from iOS, too. This is the best of two worlds for me. Once I get around to figuring out bluetooth tethering on the N9 then I'll probably move on to that.

visN900 2013-01-31 13:49

the main reason i use N900 is for
1.its qwerty
2.IM &VOIP integration(BEST IN CLASS)
3.Browser(though its old its Gold)
4.Software support from a wonderful forum.. i bet no other phone will get a straight 4th year support
5.and last but not the least MAEMO..(keeps everything simple)

after 3yrs with my N900 i still couldn't figure out whether this is a smartphone/tablet/fablet

Best in class!!!

long live the community.. Long live N900.. :)

Sphinx780 2013-01-31 13:59

Both my wife and I still use the N900 as our main phone. Neither of us utilize the full power of the device to be sure but I do play with mine often, running thumb. She has yet to see anyone else show her something on their phone she wants that can't be done on hers.

Main uses and stoppers from moving on:

1. Music. The FM transmitter is rock solid and with my 64gb microsd card full of music, I'd only be interested in something with expandable storage.

2. Web. As said above, old but gold.

3. Camera...night shots suck but man this thing shines with good light.

4. I use the phone as a phone for work daily, the call quality has always been great on Tmo in MN..and the $5 Tzones plan still works. Love it.

5. Durability. I don't drop my phone often but when it drops from the Chipotle high top to the concrete floor, I don't bat an eye. This sucker is a tank, but in a good way!

I'll probably get an updated phone in the coming year or two, I'd like to find a better camera, keep the expandable storage and have great web browsing/email. I'll just have to live with out the FM transmitter...dammit.

rslick 2013-01-31 14:14

I use n900 as my main phone since 2009.Changed the display (myself)after broken in my pants pocket,changed the touchscreen (myself),last year cause it was not responding,reflashed 3-4 times.now it's working flawless and i have everithing i whant;i can play movies,youtube,games,browse the internet, make photos,filming,skype video call etc.What else should i need more.It's a phone not a laptop or a pc.For advanced games and programs i own a PC and a laptop,and i don't belive that a phone/tablet can match a home PC ever so i will stick to n900 until "he" or i will die.:)