maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Jolla phones: not so open (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85569)

GameboyRMH 2012-07-18 17:26

Jolla phones: not so open

Well here's the bad news we've all been dreading about the Jolla phones:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...ngry-birds.htm

Quote:

"It is true that we have not heard too much from Open Moko for quite some time. But one has to remember that Jolla's main goal is not to create an open source phone. We aim to create a competitive smartphone almost everybody would want for themselves," Hurmola said.
"The phone will be a smartphone for mass market. It will not be a tech phone intended for Linux hackers. Consumers are not able to hack the kernel or flash new software for the device."
:(

Dave999 2012-07-18 17:31

Re: Jolla phones: not so open

First of all, sure, boring. secondly , we dont need a new thread for this, but now that we have we can use it. Not so strange. Tizen and jolla can't be more open than other OS like maemo or meego. Why? I don't even care to anwser this again.

misterc 2012-07-18 18:09

let's be honest here, shall we?
Maemo (MeeGo blabla...) never was profitable
N9 may have scratched it if it had been marketed aggressively enough, indeed, certainly with Nitdroid, but... how would that have looked, claiming they don't want to become another "Android OEM" maker and having (one of) their most successful device of the moment... mostly be used under Android :eek:
without Flop / Fart's burning hara-kiri NOKIA would have been able to go on supporting Maemo

the only reason Android is so successful is because it is so open.
the only reason i can be so open is because Google can afford to give it away.

again see opening remark, no way a startup will be able to sustain that business model.
period
end of discussion :confused:
end of dream... :(

open source is not a viable business model
never has been, never will be.

Rogatti 2012-07-18 18:15

-
-
why the N9 is a whitefly with one blue eye and one green ...a rarity
-
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8...scabrancaa.jpg

misterc 2012-07-18 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogatti (Post 1239363)
-
-
why the N9 is a whitefly with one blue eye and one green ...a rarity
-
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8...scabrancaa.jpg

did they make a green one after all ?!? :rolleyes:
thus, a 2nd red / magenta eye :p

tissot 2012-07-18 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1239360)
let's be honest here, shall we?
Maemo (MeeGo blabla...) never was profitable
N9 may have scratched it if it had been marketed aggressively enough, indeed, certainly with Nitdroid, but... how would that have looked, claiming they don't want to become another "Android OEM" maker and having (one of) their most successful device of the moment... mostly be used under Android :eek:
without Flop / Fart's burning hara-kiri NOKIA would have been able to go on supporting Maemo

the only reason Android is so successful is because it is so open.
the only reason i can be so open is because Google can afford to give it away.

again see opening remark, no way a startup will be able to sustain that business model.
period
end of discussion :confused:
end of dream... :(

open source is not a viable business model
never has been, never will be.

I agree with the open source not being viable business model.

Though there was comment from Jolla that more than 200 000 phones would keep them alive, i don't see that impossible if the product will be actually good

What gives me some hope about Jolla is that these people at least seem to understand the market and know what it needs to get phone out to the market.
Proof of that would be if they truly could release device before years end, something that would be quite mind boggling for company like this.

If they can nurse the economy, community and can actually give us something amazing they might have niche covered. There's some truth on what the CEO said that the hardware is easy these days as most of the manufacturers just go shopping for the chips.
Jolla wont of course ever have things like PureView or custom chips like Samsung.

Rauha 2012-07-18 18:58

The orginal Jolla thread has already degenarated into 100 or pages about the same matter. Lively discussion about semantics of few words in interviews, both fanboism and hatred before any product and the whole nine yards of convoluted interwebs miscommunication.

No need for a new thread.

misterc 2012-07-18 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 1239367)
I agree with the open source not being viable business model.

Though there was comment from Jolla that more than 200 000 phones would keep them alive, i don't see that impossible if the product will be actually good

What gives me some hope about Jolla is that these people at least seem to understand the market and know what it needs to get phone out to the market.
Proof of that would be if they truly could release device before years end, something that would be quite mind boggling for company like this.

If they can nurse the economy, community and can actually give us something amazing they might have niche covered. There's some truth on what the CEO said that the hardware is easy these days as most of the manufacturers just go shopping for the chips.
Jolla wont of course ever have things like PureView or custom chips like Samsung.

true!
i was thinking in terms of "manufacturer" with factory, design dptmt, Q&A, Marketing & Sales and tutti quanti :D
if they are just making a design based on an Open Source OS...
that's roughly what Google was doing with their Nexus, right?
and now they bought Motorola...
in fact the FOSS based design seems the only way to go for a startup indeed
only... will "it" happen again? :confused: :eek:

misterc 2012-07-18 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1239378)
The orginal Jolla thread has already degenarated into 100 or pages about the same matter. Lively discussion about semantics of few words in interviews, both fanboism and hatred before any product and the whole nine yards of convoluted interwebs miscommunication.

No need for a new thread.

feel free... not to post :cool:

stlpaul 2012-07-18 19:24

I think the wording is not entirely clear. "consumers are not able to ..." could mean "average consumer does not know how to ..." (meaning ultimately "they will not be required to know how to ...")

Or of course it could mean "we will not allow them to ..."