maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [SFOS] WhoGo Maps (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100253)

otsaloma 2018-03-18 17:27

WhoGo Maps

https://otsaloma.io/pub/whogo-maps.png

WhoGo Maps is a full-featured app for maps and navigation with a flexible selection of mostly OpenStreetMap-based maps and related service providers. WhoGo Maps requires the Mapbox GL Native QML component for map display, supporting both vector and raster maps with OpenGL accelerated rendering.

Download at OpenRepos.

Source code and issue tracker are available at GitHub. Translations at Transifex.

Donations appreciated: paypal.me/otsaloma

https://otsaloma.io/pub/whogo-maps-1.png

https://otsaloma.io/pub/whogo-maps-2.png

https://otsaloma.io/pub/whogo-maps-3.png

https://otsaloma.io/pub/whogo-maps-4.png

https://otsaloma.io/pub/whogo-maps-5.png

peterleinchen 2018-03-18 19:38

Re: WhoGo Maps

1 Attachment(s)
Might have seen that settings page in some other application before? :rolleyes:

Why a new name/app?
what are the differences?

otsaloma 2018-03-18 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1542492)
Why a new name/app?

New map component, Mapbox GL QML, as ported by rinigus. It brings vector maps, which works better across different size and different pixel density screens, rotates nicer, tilts for navigation and also the performance should be a lot better. It needed to be a new app as this is a big change, not yet fully proven technology, and will not work on older devices such as Jolla 1.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99953

rinigus 2018-03-18 20:06

@otsaloma - congratulations! Great to see it released :)

As was announced from the beginning, Poor Maps GL - an intermediate step in this transition - has been removed from OpenRepos. All users are advised to move over to WhoGo Maps.

Congratulations again, great work!

peterleinchen 2018-03-18 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1542496)
@otsaloma - congratulations! Great to see it released :)

As was announced from the beginning, Poor Maps GL - an intermediate step in this transition - has been removed from OpenRepos. All users are advised to move over to WhoGo Maps.

Congratulations again, great work!

Now I got it! :p

taixzo 2018-03-19 16:00

Does this have a way to launch it from command-line with a destination? Saera currently uses its internal routing engine for directions, but I'd like to give users the option to use WhoGo Maps if it's installed.

pisarz1958 2018-03-19 16:31

Why not "Rich Maps"? :D

olf 2018-03-19 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pisarz1958 (Post 1542536)
Why not "Rich Maps"? :D

... or "MeGo Maps", "WeGo Maps", "HereWeGo Maps" or simply "Go Maps"?

Seriously "WhoGo Maps" sounds strange (as if "Hugo Maps") and does not make much sense (or I just fail to see it), is somewhat cool, but primarily irritating.

But as this is @otsaloma's baby, all I / we can ask for is: Please reconsider this awkward name (for the apps sake; actually a catchy and bit flashy "Rich Maps" may suit the app best).

karlos devel 2018-03-19 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by olf (Post 1542540)
... or "MeGo Maps", "WeGo Maps", "HereWeGo Maps" or simply "Go Maps"?"Rich Maps" may suit the app best).

Mmm IMHO Whogo-Maps is good name, because It is not a generic name. But Hugo-Maps I like much, that Rich-Maps or whatever :)
So thanks @otsaloma for ur pretty work for it, Also to be original on name-app

otsaloma 2018-03-19 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1542534)
Does this have a way to launch it from command-line with a destination? Saera currently uses its internal routing engine for directions, but I'd like to give users the option to use WhoGo Maps if it's installed.

No, unfortunately sailfish-qml doesn't support argument passing.

taixzo 2018-03-19 20:45

That's a shame. Ok; could I launch it and then send it a dbus message to give it a destination?

otsaloma 2018-03-19 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1542544)
That's a shame. Ok; could I launch it and then send it a dbus message to give it a destination?

No, there's no dbus interface. I'm not familiar with dbus, I have no idea if it makes sense to add one.

MartinK 2018-03-19 23:57

So I've looked how hard it is to use DBUS from Python as I did remember there have been some long needed improvements done from the Jolla side recently - and it turns out to be really easy! :)

I've even created a tutorial to make this useful functionality as available to developers as possible:

smatkovi 2018-03-20 13:20

too bad i use a oneplus x with sfos 2.1.0.11 and pyotherside 1.4, but this needs pyotherside 1.5 :/
i managed to compile it, but i don't know how to tell the os to use this version

rinigus 2018-03-20 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by smatkovi (Post 1542565)
too bad i use a oneplus x with sfos 2.1.0.11 and pyotherside 1.4, but this needs pyotherside 1.5 :/
i managed to compile it, but i don't know how to tell the os to use this version

That may change in few days. I have build the update packages at OBS and we are testing OTA these days. If all goes well for others as for me , 2.1.3.7 will be out for onyx

itdoesntmatt 2018-03-20 19:15

I would have changed from Poor Maps to Pure Maps..

anyway once again thanks for the fantastic result.

otsaloma 2018-03-20 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by smatkovi (Post 1542565)

For what it's worth, you might get WhoGo Maps working by reverting a single commit. I dropped an old work-around, figured it wasn't needed anymore...

https://github.com/otsaloma/whogo-ma...38a3a68abd8f36

otsaloma 2018-03-20 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by otsaloma (Post 1542543)
No, unfortunately sailfish-qml doesn't support argument passing.

It seems this was outdated information, so I'll likely add command line argument support at some point, and thus no dbus, despite a good guide.

smatkovi 2018-03-20 22:33

that would be really cool. but thanks to this i learnt how to package rpms^^ i tried to install my compiled version, but who-go doesn't start, interesting thing is, that the 1.4 rpm only contains 2 files out of the src folder, but if it gets an update it's nicer :)

otsaloma 2018-03-21 21:00

Translations now at Transifex. I copied them from Poor Maps and assigned the "poor-maps team" there, so if you have translated Poor Maps, you should have access, otherwise click some appropriate button to join.

taixzo 2018-03-22 01:12

Looking forward to the release with argument passing! If you want to let us know what the arguments will be, I can get a head start coding that into Saera to release when the update arrives.

klinglerware 2018-03-30 18:26

Congrats on this release, it feels full-featured and polished.

Tested it on a OnePlus X with the 2.1.3.7 update and no connectivity. Off-line routing and real-time rerouting using OSM scout server worked very well. I am very impressed!

Voice directions with mimic also worked well. One small bug: with an English voice and American measurement units, measurements in "feet" were voiced as "miles".

smatkovi 2018-03-30 19:16

i also tested it on a opx with sfos 2.1.3.7 now and offline navigation worked fine. one road direction was different, but that is a backend issue.

smatkovi 2018-03-30 20:01

when using voice navigation while playing music it pauses playback, but didn't resume after the directions. do you also experience this and is there something that could be done to resume playback automatically?

taixzo 2018-03-31 02:17

Feedback on voice navigation: decent, but could use some work. Points noted on a test drive:
- as mentioned by klingerware, approaching an intersection I was given an instruction to "turn left in 1000 miles"
- one instruction was "in 2.5 miles, turn right." No other voice prompt was given when I actually reached the intersection.
- My destination was on a road parallel to the main road. As I drove past, it skipped the final turns and jumped straight to "you have arrived at your destination."

Additionally, I note that you are using maneuver nodes to determine when a turn is reached. I originally used this in Saera, however by itself it can lead to missed instructions if the gps cuts out as you pass a node. I switched to nodes + checking which segment is the closest, so that new directions can be given as soon as possible when you make a turn.

pichlo 2018-03-31 07:32

Pity I cannot try WhoGo since, as per post #3, it does not work on my device. As a general comment, I have used a commercial satnav that gave instructions of the kind, "make <manoeuvre> in <distance>", and I found it infinitely confusing. Fortunately a software upgrade turned it into a more common, " in <distance> make <manoeuvre>", which was much better.

rinigus 2018-03-31 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1542853)
Pity I cannot try WhoGo since, as per post #3, it does not work on my device. As a general comment, I have used a commercial satnav that gave instructions of the kind, "make <manoeuvre> in <distance>", and I found it infinitely confusing. Fortunately a software upgrade turned it into a more common, " in <distance> make <manoeuvre>", which was much better.

Its pity, indeed. Maybe its time to switch devices? We should have "In <distance>, <maneuver description>" in WhoGo and Poor Maps.

otsaloma 2018-03-31 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1542851)
- as mentioned by klingerware, approaching an intersection I was given an instruction to "turn left in 1000 miles"

I filed an issue now. I took a quick look earlier, but didn't find where the problem originates from.

Quote:

- My destination was on a road parallel to the main road. As I drove past, it skipped the final turns and jumped straight to "you have arrived at your destination."

That's a known issue and hard to avoid.

Quote:

Additionally, I note that you are using maneuver nodes to determine when a turn is reached. I originally used this in Saera, however by itself it can lead to missed instructions if the gps cuts out as you pass a node. I switched to nodes + checking which segment is the closest, so that new directions can be given as soon as possible when you make a turn.

Yes and no. The instructions are associated with maneuver points, but the system mainly works by comparing the GPS position with the route polyline segments, finding the closest segment and then the next maneuver node following that segment. Additionally, there are some tweaks to account for positioning inaccuracy etc.

Fuzzillogic 2018-03-31 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1542854)
Its pity, indeed. Maybe its time to switch devices?

I'm confused. I've WhoGo running on my JP1 just fine, using OSM Scout Server with profile "Recommended for vector tile maps". Navigation has the nice tilt option (why only when navigating?) Very smooth. It all works fully offline too. So, what am I missing here?

rinigus 2018-03-31 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1542869)
I'm confused. I've WhoGo running on my JP1 just fine, using OSM Scout Server with profile "Recommended for vector tile maps". Navigation has the nice tilt option (why only when navigating?) Very smooth. It all works fully offline too. So, what am I missing here?

When we were testing Mapbox GL widget in summer 2017, it was a general conclusion that J1 is not able to handle OpenGL map component (crashes of test program, hanging of it and so on). Some time has passed, Mapbox GL and SFOS releases are out. Maybe something got fixed, it's hard to tell.

At that time, we also tested against Mapbox styles. So, maybe you could check whether you have any issues when using their basemaps.

If it all works, it's a great news. I think someone has been telling about positive results on J1 (maybe you). Good luck with testing !

Fuzzillogic 2018-03-31 16:24

In WhoGo, on my JP1, when switching to from OSM Scout to Mapbox / Mapbox Satellite and others it also works fine in a quick test. I haven't used it yet for actual navigation or other prolonged use, but it doesn't seem to instantly crash or other apparent malfunctioning. SFOS 2.1.4.

Zeta 2018-03-31 17:28

I was one of those that did the tests on the Jolla 1 before.
I am a bit lagging right now, but I will do the update to 2.1.4 during the weekend and redo the tests with WhoGo maps to give another feedback.
I also have a PhotonQ which was also impacted by the crashes before, and will test it too with WhoGo maps, but I don't think 2.1.4 is available for it, I'll check.

I'll get back with the results "soon" ;)

nthn 2018-04-01 09:00

Fuzzillogic's good news made me test things out, and it's true, there are no crashes on the Jolla 1. Marvellous work! Map tilt makes it look so much more professional, and it's much smoother and MUCH faster than any of the 'car GPS' systems I've seen.

nthn 2018-04-01 09:35

Actually, now I did notice a problem: the downloaded OSM Scout maps aren't shown. It works with Poor Maps, so I'm not sure why it isn't working with WhoGo Maps.

rinigus 2018-04-01 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1542892)
Actually, now I did notice a problem: the downloaded OSM Scout maps aren't shown. It works with Poor Maps, so I'm not sure why it isn't working with WhoGo Maps.

You most probably have a profile that doesn't contain Mapbox GL data in OSM Scout Server. Go to profile selection and choose a profile with vector tiles. These days I don't fetch Mapnik data anymore and use the profile with vector tiles only. You will have to download the maps after you enable vector tiles profile.

nthn 2018-04-01 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1542893)
You most probably have a profile that doesn't contain Mapbox GL data in OSM Scout Server. Go to profile selection and choose a profile with vector tiles. These days I don't fetch Mapnik data anymore and use the profile with vector tiles only. You will have to download the maps after you enable vector tiles profile.

Great, that was indeed the problem. Are you planning to make the vector-exclusive profile the default profile in a future update?

rinigus 2018-04-01 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1542894)
Great, that was indeed the problem. Are you planning to make the vector-exclusive profile the default profile in a future update?

I will. However, the users with profile defined (so, any current user) will have profile migrated into raster only if it was the current default. I prefer not to change the settings in invisible manner. I will also add a check on startup to warn if there are map clients in the system that are not supported by the current profile.

pagis 2018-04-01 11:05

when I use OSM Scout Server, blue marks/points or route traces on the map do not display, is this a known issue?

Also returning back from minimized the map layer is empty.

rinigus 2018-04-01 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagis (Post 1542897)
when I use OSM Scout Server, blue marks/points or route traces on the map do not display, is this a known issue?

Also returning back from minimized the map layer is empty.

It does display for me and I haven't heard anyone telling about it.

To ensure that there are no mixups with the versions, make sure you run the latest WhoGo Maps. Maybe uninstall, check that there is nothing left in /usr/share/harbour-whogo-maps, and install again. Report back.

pagis 2018-04-01 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1542899)
It does display for me and I haven't heard anyone telling about it.

To ensure that there are no mixups with the versions, make sure you run the latest WhoGo Maps. Maybe uninstall, check that there is nothing left in /usr/share/harbour-whogo-maps, and install again. Report back.

I did reinstall, but I get the same empty layers, it might be a problem with my OSM Scout Server, I get some warnings like:
Error whtile getting mapbox GL style, and malformed mapbox GL file request styles/osmbright-en.json