maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Ubuntu (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Ubuntu Tablet Will Be Available To Pre-Order On Monday (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96544)

robthebold 2016-03-22 18:49

Ubuntu Tablet Will Be Available To Pre-Order On Monday

From OMG!!!Ubuntu: The world’s first Ubuntu Tablet will go on pre-sale this coming Monday, March 28.

Quote:

The Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet will be available to pre-order in two versions: a HD (1280 x 800) model and a high-spec FHD (1920 x 1200) model.
Pricing TBA.

Dave999 2016-03-22 19:39

Re: Ubuntu Tablet Will Be Available To Pre-Order On Monday

good news! Now jolla needs to transfer the funds to us so we can buy a tablet.

mscion 2016-03-22 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1501943)
good news! Now jolla needs to transfer the funds to us so we can buy a tablet.

Well, you might want to instead get the new smaller Ipad pro. Would go nicely with your iphone 6. There is a slider keyboard available for the Iphone 6 that also looks nice. Allot you can do with that refund!

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/21/a...s-on-preview/#

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Keyboa.../dp/B00NMY9X1I

lancewex 2016-03-22 20:22

If it ships to the U.S.--sold!ˇ

t-b 2016-03-22 20:49

Exciting stuff. I love the idea of a tablet that you can use as a desktop PC by connecting it to a docking station or separate keyboard / mouse. Looking forward to the first reviews.

MINKIN2 2016-03-22 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1501945)
Well, you might want to instead get the new smaller Ipad pro. Would go nicely with your iphone 6. There is a slider keyboard available for the Iphone 6 that also looks nice. Allot you can do with that refund!

Isn't a 9.7" iPad pro just an iPad?

gerbick 2016-03-22 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1501951)
Isn't a 9.7" iPad pro just an iPad?

No. You have to pay $100 USD extra for those three letters that spell "Pro" and the two extra speakers that scream across the room (when it's not obscured by a very expensive case) that your iPad is a Pro.

Sheesh. Get it right.

robthebold 2016-03-22 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1501957)
No. You have to pay $100 USD extra for those three letters that spell "Pro" and the two extra speakers that scream across the room (when it's not obscured by a very expensive case) that your iPad is a Pro.

Sheesh. Get it right.

Dunno if it's the stylus or the extra horsepower in the pro (or something else) but the iPad Pro runs the full version of the clinical software used in my wife's office, with all the features of the desktop/laptop version (without lugging a fugly "convertible" tablet). The plain old iPad (iPad amateur?) only runs the pared-down version that smartphones get.

Not to say there aren't plenty of well-heeled poseurs that get the "Pro" for the name, but some professional users do need the extra features and power, and the price premium is easily justified by even a small productivity boost over a tablet's working life.

mscion 2016-03-22 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1501957)

Sheesh. Get it right.

Ha Ha! You folks are fantastic! The main difference is that the Pro has that wonderfully unique keyboard and apple pencil accessory so you can be more PROductive let alone professional. I'm sure cut and paste works beyond anyone's dreams on this device. Dave999 are you listening?

gerbick 2016-03-22 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1501961)
Ha Ha! You folks are fantastic! The main difference is that the Pro has that wonderfully unique keyboard and apple pencil accessory so you can be more PROductive let alone professional. I'm sure cut and paste works beyond anyone's dreams on this device. Dave999 are you listening?

I'll be honest. I own the 12" iPad Pro alongside an Apple Pencil and have to support that in my office endeavors. I don't use the keyboard, it folds weirdly - but I have embraced the input of the stylus... erm, pencil as being rather intuitive and the palm rejection even better than the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Pen.

As a creative, the iPad Pro has become an indispensable part of my workflow.

As a developer, the iPad Pro is nearly useless.

As an admin... the iPad Pro has some uses actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robthebold (Post 1501960)
Dunno if it's the stylus or the extra horsepower in the pro (or something else) but the iPad Pro runs the full version of the clinical software used in my wife's office, with all the features of the desktop/laptop version (without lugging a fugly "convertible" tablet). The plain old iPad (iPad amateur?) only runs the pared-down version that smartphones get.

Not to say there aren't plenty of well-heeled poseurs that get the "Pro" for the name, but some professional users do need the extra features and power, and the price premium is easily justified by even a small productivity boost over a tablet's working life.

It's mostly about the CPU (A9X) and the display technology (which is how it's compatible with the Apple Pencil) that differentiates the Apple iPad Pro against the iPad Air 2. Same resolution, different (faster) CPU/GPU, compatibility with the Pencil, 4 speakers (that actually makes a difference while watching Netflix/Amazon Video/VLC) and of course the accessories. There's other minor differences, RAM on the 12" iPad Pro (4GB) vs 9" iPad Pro (2GB) but that affects software performance in odd areas (what's switched out of memory, whatnot) but to me... if you're married to that ecosystem, the Pro + Pencil does work its magic. If you're not married to that ecosystem, just stay clear.

I just feel like I'm breaking the laws of physics using Microsoft Word on my Apple iPad Pro and getting work done. Weird stuff indeed.

mscion 2016-03-22 22:45

Microsoft word and PowerPoint are Bill Gates revenge on linux lovers...

Dave999 2016-03-23 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1501945)

IPad is not option in this case for several reasons bu basically I like to support this tablet laptop feature.

pichlo 2016-03-23 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1501968)
Microsoft word and PowerPoint are Bill Gates revenge on linux lovers...

Interesting. In that case, Mr Gates must have seen the future.
MS Word, born 1983
PowerPoint, born 1990
Linux, born 1991

mscion 2016-03-23 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1501986)
Interesting. In that case, Mr Gates must have seen the future.
MS Word, born 1983
PowerPoint, born 1990
Linux, born 1991

Ha ha. Very good! What I was thinking about is the portability of documents or ppt from libre office to Microsoft products and back. Usually a disaster for me. I would think saving as doc or docx would be sufficient but the fonts are not consistent. Going from Microsoft office to libre office is not quite as bad but then you are limited when trying to edit. Especially if equations are involved. Also pdf document do not look as good using evince. At least that is my experience. Good thing I can use Latex!

ggabriel 2016-03-23 13:13

Will this tablet run Sailfish OS or do we have to put up with Ubuntu?

gerbick 2016-03-23 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggabriel (Post 1502002)

This man asks the right questions.

ammyt 2016-03-23 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1502038)
This man asks the right questions.

This man points out men who ask right questions.

aegis 2016-03-23 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-b (Post 1501950)
Exciting stuff. I love the idea of a tablet that you can use as a desktop PC by connecting it to a docking station or separate keyboard / mouse. Looking forward to the first reviews.

So like every tablet going except Apple and Jolla?

handaxe 2016-03-24 10:26

And then there is this.

Whilst still in testing, using X11 under Unity 8 on Ubuntu Touch devices draws nearer and nearer.

theonelaw 2016-03-25 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggabriel (Post 1502002)

The part about the cpu says it all:
Code:

MediaTek MT8163 chipset
means it runs closed-shop Android firmware Gussied up in Ubuntu-flavored lipstick,
with virtually zero hope
for changing it out with some kind of functional OS.
From the source code itself:
Code:

/* Modified for Android.  */
How well will this frankenstein hardware run ?
I predict it will instantly disappoint millions hundreds of buyers.
Why ? this is a quote I found
which perfectly describes Ubuntu Android:
Quote:

Is nothing but a web browser. Completely lacks any programs other than a calculator...
The only programs you can get are web based, which you obtain from the Chrome Web Store, where Google calls them "APPS", and they are far from Andy applications I have seen. However, this OS can be stable and if a web browser is all you need, then I guess Chrome OS is okay for that.
(just replace Chrome web and Google with Ubuntu.
Ooops - Google's Android provides the foundation for Ubuntu.)
Why can there be no native linux on a Mediatek device ?
http://www.gizchina.com/2014/03/24/m...e-source-code/
That's why
[disclaimer - I really dislike being the source of horribly
gone-wrong news, but until I see something decent
I will simply tell it like I see it.
I do own, use and keep updated/upgraded a Ubuntu phone,
but I do not trust it any further than I can throw it]
Quote:

Maemo Fremantle has always been and as yet remains
an order of magnitude better than Ubuntu Phone ever can be

lancewex 2016-03-29 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1502087)
Code:

MediaTek MT8163 chipset
means it runs closed-shop Android firmware Gussied up in Ubuntu-flavored lipstick,
with virtually zero hope
for changing it out with some kind of functional OS.
From the source code itself:
Code:

/* Modified for Android.  */
How well will this frankenstein hardware run ?
I predict it will instantly disappoint millions hundreds of buyers.

Why can there be no native linux on a Mediatek device ?
http://www.gizchina.com/2014/03/24/m...e-source-code/
That's why
[disclaimer - I really dislike being the source of horribly
gone-wrong news, but until I see something decent
I will simply tell it like I see it.
[URL="http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1487009&postcount=4"]

I thank you, but now I need to see if I can cancel my pre-order.

Flynx 2016-03-29 16:40

"Traditional Xorg-based software runs on the tablet in a confined, secure container...."
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/02/b...u-need-to-know

All that quote is missing is a man-in-black saying "for your protection"

handaxe 2016-03-29 17:31

For good or for bad, confinement is a feature of UT for both Mir- and X11-based applications.

ajalkane 2016-03-29 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonelaw (Post 1502087)
instantly disappoint millions hundreds of buyers.

I kind of agree with your sentiment. I also find Ubuntu Touch iCripplified for no good reason other than mimicking what Apple has done (and the often given reasons being that Apple has been so successfull, so obviously these design/architectural decisions must be good. What?).

But I also think the sentiment you come across gives wrong impression. At the base of it, Ubuntu Touch is no different than Sailfish OS. They use a layer between so that Android's device drivers can be used on linux distros - because none of these hardware manufacturers are willing to write native drivers to some fringe OSs. That's unfortunately the reality.

Ubuntu's failings are not because they use Android drivers. It's their own decisions how they're crippling the OS on mobiles, IMO.

Fuzzillogic 2016-03-29 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1502408)
But I also think the sentiment you come across gives wrong impression. At the base of it, Ubuntu Touch is no different than Sailfish OS. They use a layer between so that Android's device drivers can be used on linux distros - because none of these hardware manufacturers are willing to write native drivers to some fringe OSs. That's unfortunately the reality.

How hard would it for those hardware manufacturers to compile using glibc instead of bionic? What more is needed than that to use the drivers on normal Linux systems?

Ugh, stupid google with stupid bionic. To me it seems like the hole reason of bionic is gone. According to wikipedia, it was designed for speed and size, both are hardly an issue on even low end devices. Same goes for that JVM of theirs. The only reason left is control, which is a pure economical reason.

ajalkane 2016-03-29 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1502411)
How hard would it for those hardware manufacturers to compile using glibc instead of bionic? What more is needed than that to use the drivers on normal Linux systems?

I don't have any expertise in that stuff. But clearly it's much more than just compiling against glibc instead of bionic or else it wouldn't be such a big issue. On the top of my head I'd guess it's about graphics drivers, modem drivers, GPS drivers etc...

handaxe 2016-03-29 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1502413)
On the top of my head I'd guess it's about graphics drivers, modem drivers, GPS drivers etc...

Yep, closed source, binary blobs. Mobile Chip makers could compile drivers for linux if they wished, but they don't.

I read somewhere that the divergence between the Android Linux kernel and the Linux kernel proper was closing. Perhaps at some stage 2nd class OS citizens might be able to dispense with an Android h/w enabling layer and just use the kernel for which Android has released device drivers.

pichlo 2016-03-30 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajalkane (Post 1502413)
I don't have any expertise in that stuff. But clearly it's much more than just compiling against glibc instead of bionic or else it wouldn't be such a big issue. On the top of my head I'd guess it's about graphics drivers, modem drivers, GPS drivers etc...

All of those can be complied with one or the other.

I have not looked into it either but my educated guess would be that the main issue is the API. Which is why things like libhybris work: they just make a thin shim to translate one API into another.

The HW manufacturers, OTOH, would have to maintain two or more different code bases with different APIs which is an additional strain on their resources, especially if they churn new chips every three months. I would not blame them if they could not be bothered.

robthebold 2016-04-08 18:04

Tablet shipping date - in a move familiar to everyone here - has been pushed back.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/b...u-tablet-delay

lancewex 2016-04-15 18:13

I got a notice my tablet is shipping today.

I decided not to cancel. I want a tablet, and the Dell Android tablet I bought died after a week, and they "replaced" it under "warranty" with a Windows tablet--which I refuse to even turn on. Never buying a Dell again after this.

gerbick 2016-04-15 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1503703)
I got a notice my tablet is shipping today.

I decided not to cancel. I want a tablet, and the Dell Android tablet I bought died after a week, and they "replaced" it under "warranty" with a Windows tablet--which I refuse to even turn on. Never buying a Dell again after this.

Feel free to send it to me. I'll even pay for shipping.

Fuzzillogic 2016-04-15 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1503703)
the Dell Android tablet I bought died after a week, and they "replaced" it under "warranty" with a Windows tablet--which I refuse to even turn on. Never buying a Dell again after this.

Nothing is too much for Microsoft to push their Win10 :D However, is it really that bad? You could try installing Android x86 on the thing. It might just work quite well - provided the thing isn't horribly locked down.

Good to hear BQ is shipping. Seems like the delay is limited to a week. Jolla could learn something from that :p

lancewex 2016-04-15 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1503719)
Nothing is too much for Microsoft to push their Win10 :D However, is it really that bad? You could try installing Android x86 on the thing. It might just work quite well - provided the thing isn't horribly locked down.

I hate MS so much, so yeah, it's that bad. Besides, I have Google Fiber, and an Android tablet with Google Services on Fiber can do things a Windows tablet can't. Am I the only one who thinks it's insane a company can give you a device with another OS entirely to fulfill warranty? Especially when they still sell the tablet I sent them.

Fuzzillogic 2016-04-15 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1503722)
I hate MS so much, so yeah, it's that bad. Besides, I have Google Fiber, and an Android tablet with Google Services can do things a Windows tablet can't. Am I the only one who thinks it's insane a company can give you a device with another OS entirely to fulfill warranty? Especially when they still sell the tablet I sent them.

Ah, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that having an x86 tablet now (it is x86, is it?) might not be so bad, as you can might be able to install anything from Android x86 to Ubuntu Touch, or any other Linux distro on it. As such it might prove to be more flexible than a normal ARM Android tablet.

But perhaps not; Microsoft demands a TPM on those tablets, which might lock them down just as hard. Boo Microsoft!

Dave999 2016-04-17 06:26

Looks like a cool first tablet. Will be intresting to see how Ubuntu keep shaping the OS. So far so good, but with all new OS there is a lot of room for improvement.

gerbick 2016-04-17 16:03

Seems like I'm being ignored by lancewax. My offer was indeed genuine. If you dislike it that much, I'll gladly take it off of your hands especially if you're unwilling to even turn it on.

hhbbap 2016-04-26 20:33

FYI:
A DIY guide to the Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet:
– we thought we’d create a DIY one-pager that shows you how versatile the tablet truly is! Check out the guide below to follow the steps…
http://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/04/2...cDZnSWM9In0%3D

lancewex 2016-04-27 17:11

So rude of me to ignore your attempt at getting free stuff. Despite my distaste for MS I could still obviously sell it to recoup some of my money.

lancewex 2016-04-27 17:20

I got one. So not ready for release. It looks nice, seems decently constructed, and battery life isn't bad. But so many issues. It doesn't even come with a file browser or terminal installed. Yes, you can install them. But the file browser available is very limited. It can't copy and paste more than one file at a time. The OS creates a folder structure on your microSD card whether you want it to or not. Apps can't see the microSD card. Audio does not sync when watching Youtube--despite the browser being pretty decent over all. No bluetooth tethering for data. The auto-diming feature of the display is uncomfortably sudden and too frequent. A lot of little things like this are annoying. I really hope there are some quick updates, because it does not feel ready.

pichlo 2016-04-27 20:07

Welcome to the wonderful world of Sailfish. Be grateful your WiFi password was not too difficult to type, otherwise you would have noticed and mentioned it too (the box to type it in times out, which Einstein came up with that idea?).

OTOH, you can select multiple files in File Browser. You need to tap on the icon, not the file name.