maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Why N9s are dying :( (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96021)

tomislav 2015-10-06 22:03

Why N9s are dying :(

http://s12.postimg.org/prf0h0izx/IMG_6463.jpg

sadly recently I just had to let it go 2 of my n9s from the collection just because deadly CMT issue, is like expiration day after 4-5 years for modem and telephony function, sadly is not hardware rather is software that affects hardware to be even sadder

both on 480 there was no other way

starting to question Nokias Quality Control
but at the end remembered Nokia abounded best phone and OS that they ever made, and went to Microsoft,

something that true innovator and pioneer will never do

chenliangchen 2015-10-07 03:10

Re: Why N9s are dying :(

Are you trying to sell it?

When Elop(e) announced burning platform Nokia was never true innovator and pioneer any more...

And MS would definitely want this device/OS dies ASAP, it just shows how silly their windows phone OS is.

juiceme 2015-10-07 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomislav (Post 1484556)
starting to question Nokias Quality Control

I suspect it is not about QC really, rather it is just a fact of life that some chips are more prone to failure at some point in their lifecycle; probably environmental issues can heighten/lower the probablility.

Modern electronics is just not up to snuff on longevity. Just like modern cars won't last as long as the old ones.

endsormeans 2015-10-07 05:28

Totally agree juice...
the more complexity and delicate refinement does not make for longevity ...

yeeeeeeaaaahhhh...
on that note...
I expect mah n800's to outlive me...
suckers are the original "Model T" of the indestructi-blets [just made that up..indestructible + tablet...for those who are slow...]
hehee

Buuuuttttt I do have hope for Dave999's newest model of M$ phone...
he mentions the finding of it over in the final countdown...
love it...I think it'll be the next bulletproof n9 ..
sucker is water-cooled...
hmmhehmhmhmhpheeeheeheeehaahaha...
what was that coined phrase?
burning platform?
hehehehee

NobodyInPerson 2015-10-07 05:38

I'm sorry, I just have to understand this right. Does this cmt issue mean, that after some time your N9 looses complete telephony and mobile networking capabilites!? Just like this? Without you doing any fancy modding or flashing?

Never heard of something equal with another phone before...

peterleinchen 2015-10-07 06:07

orly?
Just search for (in)famous n900 'telephony disabled' :(

But for the N9 I also do not see it.

tomislav 2015-10-07 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyInPerson (Post 1484574)
I'm sorry, I just have to understand this right. Does this cmt issue mean, that after some time your N9 looses complete telephony and mobile networking capabilites!? Just like this? Without you doing any fancy modding or flashing?

Never heard of something equal with another phone before...

Many of them have this issue popping out without any reason, two of mine, two others that I know of and Some ppl not even know what this is issue is, thinking is mild and easy fixable,(found multiple threads about Nokia n9 cmt issue on Windows Central Forum and GSM Forum ) it is devastating as you are left with (2011 expensive) but now inexpensive ipod or spare parts.

just google ~nokia n9 cmt-mcusw~

lancewex 2015-10-07 16:08

"Popping out"? What is popping out?

endsormeans 2015-10-07 16:33

I think I know what is popping out...
I think I see the culprit...

http://s26.postimg.org/8fbfxssnt/2015_10_07_9_31_23.png

Sorry ..
I just had to..
On a more somber note I do honestly feel for any member dealing with the fail of a beloved device...

tomislav 2015-10-07 17:03

yep exactly :) seems that they are popping out more often

kazzie 2015-10-08 13:45

Or perhaps the problem is popping up more often, as our N9s get older.

pichlo 2015-10-08 21:52

Eh? Nokia N9 came out in September 2011. Doing some complex calculations, that's, err, ... plus 3 ... 1 carried over ... only 4 years. The vast majority of my electronics are at least twice as old.

gerbick 2015-10-09 01:56

So... do we get to blame Elop for this? That's all that really matters to me.

endsormeans 2015-10-09 03:03

perhaps the poor things are attaining consciousness and "pffftttt!"
instantaneous termination...
or ascension..
or whatever you wish to call it...
leaving the husk of their mortal forms behind...
highly possible...
y'know...
Also considering it is happening to many of them...
it is also possible that they have some intimate knowledge that they are communicating with one another [where is Dave999 he should be here for this] and not sharing it with anyone else ...
let alone their owners
and are then proceeding in off-ing themselves...
appears to be all the makings of a device-driven-suicide-doomsday-cult-pact ...
Consequently...
I am never ever never letting an n9 within chit-chatting distance of any of my devices...
gawd knows what trouble my happily ignorant devices will suffer from such interactions..
it is possible I could be wrong...

And @gerbick...
Why...
yes...
yes we can...
we can most certainly blame Elop for this...
I see no prob with the pariah of pariah's getting 1 more straw added to his burdened back...
:D

imaginaryenemy 2015-10-09 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomislav (Post 1484556)
sadly is not hardware rather is software

So...I luckily never had this issue, so I am trying to understand...

You are saying that telephony functions are broken due to software issues, and you are upset because you don't have the files to flash your phone because it is a 480 variant?

tomislav 2016-01-17 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1484924)

You are saying that telephony functions are broken due to software issues, and you are upset because you don't have the files to flash your phone because it is a 480 variant?

I would say both :)

ibrakalifa 2016-01-17 23:44

This is nokia...http://exiledonline.com/wp-content/u...rakiri_420.jpg

sunrianto 2016-01-18 03:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomislav (Post 1495260)
I would say both :)

Any solution for fixing broken cmt-mcusw files?

juiceme 2016-01-18 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1495269)
This is nokia...

No, sir, that looks rather like Microsoft to me.

nieldk 2016-01-18 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy (Post 1484924)

Like these ?

http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/p/d/f...PRD_signed.bin
http://nds2.fds-fire.nokia.com/p/d/f..._EMMC_ALPS.bin

Anitramane 2016-01-19 19:58

Is this problem fixed by flashing?

endsormeans 2016-01-19 20:15

If this prob were fixable by reflashing...
it wouldn't be a prob in the 1st place...
reflashing isn't the cure...

Why N9s are dying :( ?

Because they're sad...
of course...

It only makes sense..

sbjohn 2016-01-20 19:41

My N9 working but is prone to issues after a tumble on carpet!!!

Luckily my 6310i is working fine despite several car park skipping incidents. I am about to replace the internal battery as it forgets the time if I leave the external battery off the back for too long. Not bad for a 13 year old phone though :-)

As people are saying, they don't make them like the used to.

It only makes sense..[/QUOTE]

tomislav 2016-02-13 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancewex (Post 1484607)
"Popping out"? What is popping out?

your brain

lantern 2016-02-14 10:56

So, while my N9 is alive, any way to backup cmt in case I'll get that problem in future?

tomislav 2016-02-14 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantern (Post 1498757)
So, while my N9 is alive, any way to backup cmt in case I'll get that problem in future?

maybe save your PRL file with technician

ka9yhd 2016-02-16 20:24

I bought my N9 in 2013 through Amazon.com here in the US and it was working great until it fell out on my pocket and went through a pinsetter machine in the bowling alley where I work.
Had to have the screen and the housing replaced. The phone works great with the exception of no wifi reception. It used to have excellent wifi reception until it was hit by several bowling balls and pins in the pinsetter. I am thinking it may hopefully be just a cracked solder joint. Because now the phone must be next to the wifi access point.

robthebold 2016-02-16 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka9yhd (Post 1498966)
I bought my N9 in 2013 through Amazon.com here in the US and it was working great until it fell out on my pocket and went through a pinsetter machine in the bowling alley where I work.

Emphasis mine, but HOLY CRAP! I've heard of getting run over by a car, but that's just insane, like only happens to cartoon characters insane! Seriously though, that kind of mechanical shock could do a lot worse than just cracking a solder joint.

You wrote you had the screen and housing replaced, implying that you took it to a shop for service. Perhaps that same place has a reflow oven and/or hot air rework tool as well. And a microscope to look for cracks in the board and busted traces, missing teeny-tiny SMT caps and resistors, etc., etc.

There's at least one thread here about doing solder reflow with a home oven, with some links to videos so you can see what you'd be getting into. But I would do a thorough inspection under a magnifier first.

Good luck and sorry about your misfortune.

pasko 2016-02-17 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka9yhd (Post 1498966)
Had to have the screen and the housing replaced. The phone works great with the exception of no wifi reception. It used to have excellent wifi reception until it was hit by several bowling balls and pins in the pinsetter. I am thinking it may hopefully be just a cracked solder joint. Because now the phone must be next to the wifi access point.

Hi.
I'd check the WiFi antenna in the first place, maybe it's been cut off. That would explain the poor reception....

You may want to check here:
http://www.smdcode.com/media/service-manuals/mobile-phones/nokia/nokia-n9-rm-696-service-schematics-v1.pdf

ka9yhd 2016-02-17 18:53

Thank you for the link, but I already have a copy of this manual. As well as Nokia N9-00 RM-696 Service Manual L12 v1, v3, v5, and v8.

I was also thinking of checking the antenna.
The place I took my N9 for service was a franchised company called CPR, Cell Phone Repair with a Red Cross in their logo. I would not recommend them as they used cheap Chinese parts. The replacement display they used was coming apart in my pocket, and when I showed it to them they refused to honor their warranty and claimed I dropped the phone. So I went on Yelp to write a review of them and discovered several bad reviews of the service using cheap parts that fail.

So I purchased a display on Ebay and replaced the display myself, which was pretty easy with the tools that came with the display.
The phone looks rather easy and straight forward to disassemble.

tomislav 2016-02-19 00:00

dude off the fu$#%#$W#$#$ topic, who the fu$#$#@$#$@ toss N9 in pinsetter machine

endsormeans 2016-02-19 00:08

hahhahaahaa

endsormeans 2016-02-19 00:27

http://s26.postimg.org/6xpfxqu1l/zg040.jpg

tomislav 2016-02-19 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1499192)

maybe he was like...

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2...if?w=650&h=361

tigas 2016-03-22 19:37

Mine hasn't had the CMT issue yet, but I've given up on it. The original black case cracked and stopped holding the SIM, I swapped for a stormtrooper white. Then the USB port got damaged, but the Nokia charger can connect if I put a weight on the plug near the phone. Then the battery started dying, and I replaced it with a pull from a Lumia800 - the only good thing to come out of that phone :D. Then it started having strange slowdowns, and I reflashed it, but it didn't solve it, I have to Drop Cache every hour to have it staying responsive. Now it restarts itself without warning and when taking photos or browsing on 3G the battery jumps from 40% to 0 and shuts down. My new OnePlus X should arrive tomorrow. It's been wonderful, guys! Thank you for everything.

nieldk 2016-03-23 06:01

Yeah. Oneplus X. Mine shipped, so I guess after easter ..
Still. This is not going to replace my N900, or N9. They both work good still , actually, all three of them.
My Jolla, serves well as home server for various services, but left as serving as a phone long time ago.

Ridd92 2016-03-23 09:15

I personally think it can be related to QC. Why? Had some of n900, faced "telephony functions disabled" few times. Got one, brand new from england in 2012, didn't last to 2013. Today Im using the olddest n900 from my collection, it's seven 7 years old, never had any problem, even USB port is on place.

ammyt 2016-03-23 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridd92 (Post 1501984)
I personally think it can be related to QC. Why? Had some of n900, faced "telephony functions disabled" few times. Got one, brand new from england in 2012, didn't last to 2013. Today Im using the olddest n900 from my collection, it's seven 7 years old, never had any problem, even USB port is on place.

Would that surviving N900 be a HW2204 by any chance?

Ridd92 2016-03-23 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ammyt (Post 1501990)
Would that surviving N900 be a HW2204 by any chance?

I'm not sure how can I find that out.

ammyt 2016-03-23 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridd92 (Post 1502005)
I'm not sure how can I find that out.

Code:

cat /proc/cpuinfo