maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Proposal for Jolla to use open social networks (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90302)

shmerl 2013-05-31 19:17

Proposal for Jolla to use open social networks

Jolla uses Twitter and Facebook as tools of communication, and until now it was using Identica (which is now closing). They aren't present on open social networks like Diaspora though. Feel free to invite them there.

javispedro 2013-05-31 19:25

Re: Proposal for Jolla to use open social networks

To be honest, why they don't just use their own website. Never understood why would anybody need to hide their PR behind a login-wall.

Dave999 2013-05-31 19:26

I rather see them creating talk.sailfish.org.

EDIT: A cool twist could be that they sending a key code with the device so only users who has bought the device could create an account.

shmerl 2013-05-31 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1348434)
I rather see them creating talk.sailfish.org.

I agree, but for whatever reason they don't want to open their forum. So since they stick to social networks (which is somewhat weird for a company), I at least invite them to use the open ones.

bennypr0fane 2013-06-08 10:20

Talking about Jolla and open social networks (this is not quite what you guys mean, but it fits the thread title as well): I wonder if other platforms can be as tightly integrated into Sailfish as Twitter and Facebook already are. This "social networks are deeply integrated in our cool new platform" typically means there is support for this two and that's it. Nokia Belle has this "1-click-social-network-sharing-feature" (not this exact name, but similar) directly from the camera app, which to this day is Facbook only, and god forbid 3rd parties could extend feature to other platforms. No plugin-architecture like Maemo has (but unfortunately has been slowly decaying).
Now in Sailfish, Facebook is really tightly woven in there (by the looks of it on all those videos), and I'd really love for the same functionalities to work with all the open networks out there

mikecomputing 2013-06-08 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by javispedro (Post 1348433)
To be honest, why they don't just use their own website. Never understood why would anybody need to hide their PR behind a login-wall.

Are you serious? How many times did you visiting Nokia homepage :O If Jolla were not on social media they would for sure die before even they had released the Alpha SDK.

In new bussiness you have to be on social media. Everything else is just plain stupidness. Only geeks visiting jolla.com.

But in case of what media they fokus should be were they first want to success in this case China: Does people here know what social media China uses?

I doubt it's facebook and twitter as first.

People here have to understand that world is bigger than just western countrys.

But if you want them to be on XXX social media. Send a message to @jollahq on twitter and give em a hint. They often answers questions there very fast.

But IMHO they are on many social media channels already. Just look at the icons on they'r homepage.

[Offtopic]
Thanks for tip about Diaspora registered myself as mike7b4 :)
[/Offtopic]

mikecomputing 2013-06-08 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1350476)
Talking about Jolla and open social networks (this is not quite what you guys mean, but it fits the thread title as well): I wonder if other platforms can be as tightly integrated into Sailfish as Twitter and Facebook already are. This "social networks are deeply integrated in our cool new platform" typically means there is support for this two and that's it. Nokia Belle has this "1-click-social-network-sharing-feature" (not this exact name, but similar) directly from the camera app, which to this day is Facbook only, and god forbid 3rd parties could extend feature to other platforms. No plugin-architecture like Maemo has (but unfortunately has been slowly decaying).
Now in Sailfish, Facebook is really tightly woven in there (by the looks of it on all those videos), and I'd really love for the same functionalities to work with all the open networks out there

I asked that questioon some weeks ago at @jollahq theyr answer is yes it is possible. I also checked here for some more hints about the actual API:

https://github.com/nemomobile

intresting parts:

nemo-plugin-* is probadly used in sailfish to...

The reason they say facebook/twitter integrated in west media is probadly because thats what we use here. Theyr probadly talk about Chinas social media in china.

Normal people doesnt care about if jolla has support for some open social media. Mainly because normal people dos not care about that (even if they should because of privacy concerns etc...)

Summary is yes it is possible with third party social media plugins :)

Lumiaman 2013-06-08 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1350527)
I asked that questioon some weeks ago at @jollahq theyr answer is yes it is possible. I also checked here for some more hints about the actual API:

https://github.com/nemomobile

intresting parts:

nemo-plugin-* is probadly used in sailfish to...

The reason they say facebook/twitter integrated in west media is probadly because thats what we use here. Theyr probadly talk about Chinas social media in china.

Normal people doesnt care about if jolla has support for some open social media. Mainly because normal people dos not care about that (even if they should because of privacy concerns etc...)

Summary is yes it is possible with third party social media plugins :)

Everything is possible with jailbroken iPhone too. I just don't get what is so unique about anything on Jolla.

Fuzzillogic 2013-06-08 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumiaman (Post 1350536)
Everything is possible with jailbroken iPhone too. I just don't get what is so unique about anything on Jolla.

So, can you install Android on your "jailbroken" iPhone? The damn thing remains a closed piece of hardware you may borrow from Apple at stupendous costs.

On topic: Jolla should not use current social media as primary communication channel. I understand the need for them to be present on those networks, or at least eventually. But as a company that for the time being aims at the more tech-inclined (and after all, those are the folks which will create the apps..) they should be aware that a large part of that group steers very clear of platforms as facebook, google and twitter.

But open, decentralized social media is an unfortunate mess currently. Yeah, there's diaspora. And appleseed and buddycloud and status.net and ... ,but they all interoperate quite poorly with each other, if at all. Perhaps they could pick one and try to kickstart it. Who knows.

Anyway, the primary communication channel should be their website with Atom/RSS feeds. Put a blog and forum on it (and use OpenID!)

Morpog 2013-06-08 15:33

Most of them are on IRC, the most geeky form of being social.

mikecomputing 2013-06-08 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1350549)
Most of them are on IRC, the most geeky form of being social.

Yes, developers are, and they should thats exacly why I love this company.

BUT Developers != marketing people. Marketing people should be used for the masses.

Morpog 2013-06-08 18:52

Wait, you said they shouldn't use social media, but should target the masses.

There is a mismatch in this logic.

Lumiaman 2013-06-08 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1350546)
So, can you install Android on your "jailbroken" iPhone? The damn thing remains a closed piece of hardware you may borrow from Apple at stupendous costs.

On topic: Jolla should not use current social media as primary communication channel. I understand the need for them to be present on those networks, or at least eventually. But as a company that for the time being aims at the more tech-inclined (and after all, those are the folks which will create the apps..) they should be aware that a large part of that group steers very clear of platforms as facebook, google and twitter.

But open, decentralized social media is an unfortunate mess currently. Yeah, there's diaspora. And appleseed and buddycloud and status.net and ... ,but they all interoperate quite poorly with each other, if at all. Perhaps they could pick one and try to kickstart it. Who knows.

Anyway, the primary communication channel should be their website with Atom/RSS feeds. Put a blog and forum on it (and use OpenID!)

Why would anyone install copycat Android on the iPhone?

juiceme 2013-06-08 21:01

Ah, now I remember a requirement I'd have for the Jolla device.

Up to now people have been posting stuff they want to include to the device, but there's also something I'd like to have the option to uninstall

Consider the N9; it's fairly impossible to uninstall facebook and twitter from the device, if you try to you will get to dependency hell and large parts of UI are broken.

So, I have just removed te icons from desktop, but the applications are still in the device.

Now I would like the Jolla device built up so, that user can uninstall any of the default "Integrated Social Media Applications" if se so wishes, without breaking any functionality of the device.

shmerl 2013-06-09 03:23

Quote:

And Persona too (I like it more than OpenID).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1350476)
Talking about Jolla and open social networks (this is not quite what you guys mean, but it fits the thread title as well): I wonder if other platforms can be as tightly integrated into Sailfish as Twitter and Facebook already are. This "social networks are deeply integrated in our cool new platform" typically means there is support for this two and that's it. here

That would be good. I'll probably uninstall FB and Twitter integration as a first step, since I don't use those :)

mikecomputing 2013-06-09 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1350593)
Wait, you said they shouldn't use social media, but should target the masses.

There is a mismatch in this logic.

?? DId I :) ? read again...

mikecomputing 2013-06-09 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1350620)

Up to now people have been posting stuff they want to include to the device, but there's also something I'd like to have the option to uninstall

Consider the N9; it's fairly impossible to uninstall facebook and twitter from the device, if you try to you will get to dependency hell and large parts of UI are broken.

So, I have just removed te icons from desktop, but the applications are still in the device.

Now I would like the Jolla device built up so, that user can uninstall any of the default "Integrated Social Media Applications" if se so wishes, without breaking any functionality of the device.

Fully agree that it should be possible uninstall the apps without dependencies problem.

My guess is Harmattan team panicken when they wrote the plugin API and made the dpgs's in "short time".

I don't think facebook/twitter is integrated so stupid in sailfishos.

Morpog 2013-06-09 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1350681)
?? DId I :) ? read again...

oops, mixed you up then :)

bennypr0fane 2013-06-12 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1350620)

This needs to be brought to Jolla's attention. Freedom to remove stuff (especially stuff like this) is just as important as the freedom to install stuff. Imagine e.g. you couldn't uninstall that pesky Amazon lens from Ubuntu without breaking it. Unthinkable!

bennypr0fane 2013-06-12 21:27

Quote:

You know Friendica? It integrates well with a bunch of other services, and it even used to have a Fecbook connector - still has it, but it's not developed anymore, because FB keeps shutting itself off.

shmerl 2013-06-12 22:12

Friendica kind of integrates, but I hear people having problems with it when integrating with Diaspora. I personally use Diaspora, but it would be good if all these networks could come up with unified protocol.

max_power 2013-06-13 16:31

Can anyone rembember the Nokia Mobile Webserver for symbian? http://research.nokia.com/page/231 This was pretty ahead of its time. It would be nice if you could run your own social network node with your data on your device. Sure, you don't have high availability, but that is a small price to pay. You could do such cool things, like bumping phones together and exchanging public keys with each other for encryption, so only your friends have access to your social network node.

rotoflex 2013-06-13 17:29

If you've got a Diaspora membership, congratulations.

I visited their website & applied for a membership as directed YEARS ago, nothing happened, not even an acknowledgment via email.

A year or so later, I visited their unchanged website & applied again, still nothing.

I seriously disbelieve there's anything there, as much as I would appreciate a less-evil alternative to Facebook & Google.

kingstu 2013-06-13 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by max_power (Post 1351768)
It would be nice if you could run your own social network node ...so only your friends have access to your social network node.

This also calls to mind the Nokia Instant Communities where only WiFi was needed to create localized social networks. Something like that would be great with a customized "Other Half" at an event or a concert. It could greatly help communicate when the cellular access could be down.I see possibilities for this within businesses and their private internal communication at various locations. (And no way for NSA and Governments to snoop this information from a remote location easily).

shmerl 2013-06-13 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotoflex (Post 1351791)
If you've got a Diaspora membership, congratulations.

I visited their website & applied for a membership as directed YEARS ago, nothing happened, not even an acknowledgment via email.

A year or so later, I visited their unchanged website & applied again, still nothing.

I seriously disbelieve there's anything there, as much as I would appreciate a less-evil alternative to Facebook & Google.

You didn't get the concept of Diaspora right - it's decentralized and there are many pods (same like there are many XMPP servers or many e-mail servers and etc.). And they all can communicate with each other. There are many pods with open registration (and always were). There is completely no point to wait for anything, just find a pod and register:

https://diasp.eu/stats.html
https://diapod.net/active
http://podupti.me

If you want you can even run your own pod (Diaspora is free software): https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora...llation-Guides

What you encountered is probably that the largest pod (https://joindiaspora.com) which is run by the team which started the project was closed for registration originally. Not only it's open now, you didn't really have to use it, as I said, there were always many other open pods.

There is a lot going on there, so give it a try.

bennypr0fane 2013-06-14 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1351583)
Friendica kind of integrates, but I hear people having problems with it when integrating with Diaspora. I personally use Diaspora, but it would be good if all these networks could come up with unified protocol.

Definitely.
I find Diaspora a bit of a drag to use, it's very lacking in features and development is not really happening.
Friendica is much closer to feature-completeness (but still far from it).

Estel 2013-06-15 03:00

+1 for using own page, and "social nonsense" as a *additional* way of communicating. The thing you can't get any meaningful info from their website, is keeping me away from being interested in up-to-date Jolla's info, since they've started.

Heck, TMO gives me more knowledge about Jolla, than Jolla website.

/Estel

mikecomputing 2013-06-15 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1352111)
+1 for using own page, and "social nonsense" as a *additional* way of communicating. The thing you can't get any meaningful info from their website, is keeping me away from being interested in up-to-date Jolla's info, since they've started.

Heck, TMO gives me more knowledge about Jolla, than Jolla website.

/Estel

Yes but info comming to TMO via exact that media you call "social nonsense"

Even if I agree social media is overhyped its a fact and many people use it and thats why they must use those marketing channels. I say again who would know about Jolla if they did not use those channels? Seriously there is now other ways this days.

Estel 2013-06-15 14:22

I don't agree. Everyone says multiplayer is a "must" nowadays, in gaming world, yet guys from CD-Projekt RED rock the show with The Witcher 3, ruling even such "commercialized" events as E3 - all of that, while saying "The Witcher doesn't have place for multiplayer".

If Jolla is making different things that gray mass around us, they could also diff themselves from gray-mass ways of communication. Not to mention how counter-effective current way is, if many people need to get info about Jolla products from *maemo*.org.

The way you're advocating, is what pathetic marketing people from facebook/twitter/whatever trained you to do, without you even realizing. Same sh|t was happening with microsoft vs linux, just few years back ("there is no other way as aiming for windows", and such nonsense - now, it doesn't even hold its ground in gaming industry, most glued to microsh|t, let alone other branches of software).

/Estel

//Edit

Even putting all those "Jolla should be different" things - from pure practical point of view, company that announce it's products via 3rd party social networking things, instead of having own, well-organized site, doesn't look very serious/professional.

nokiabot 2013-06-15 14:33

I and many people just use tmo for jolla information:)
in fact the only forum thats hyper active on jolla as a centralized source:)

shmerl 2013-06-16 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1352101)
Definitely.
I find Diaspora a bit of a drag to use, it's very lacking in features and development is not really happening.
Friendica is much closer to feature-completeness (but still far from it).

You are wrong, Diaspora development is quite active. And I like the community there. You can see current development proposals discussed here: https://www.loomio.org/groups/194

Development activity: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/graphs

shmerl 2013-06-16 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1352210)
I don't agree. Everyone says multiplayer is a *must* nowadays in gaming world, yet guys from CD-Projekt RED rock the show with The Witcher 3, ruling even such "commercialized" events as E3 - all of tha, while saying honestly "The Witcher doesn't have place for multiplayer"./Estel

A pity they don't plan to develop TW3 for Linux so far. Even Linux support on GOG is lacking yet. GOG is a digital distribution service, and they are a subsidiary of CD Projekt Red. Their specialty is a hard stand on DRM free games.

Feel free to vote for it: http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/site/...sions_of_games

Estel 2013-06-16 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmerl (Post 1352345)
A pity they don't plan to develop TW3 for Linux so far. Even Linux support on GOG is lacking yet. GOG is a digital distribution service, and they are a subsidiary of CD Projekt Red. Their specialty is a hard stand on DRM free games.

Feel free to vote for it: http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/site/...sions_of_games

Thanks for mentioning - even though I'm "old time" gog.com user ;) While I agree and voted already, I must admit that lack of "official" support seems to be related to wine. It's super-easy to run 99% of gog.com games using it, including TW's. Maybe people saying "wine is slowing Linux down" are right after all, but meh.

But, it is off-topic here, so just a minor clarification and we're out of it - gog.com isn't subsidiary of CD-P RED, REDs are studio that is subsidiary of CD-P (which, in itself, is games distributor). In the same way, gog.com, indeed is subsidiary of CD-P (but not REDs).

/Estel

shmerl 2013-06-16 04:41

That proposal isn't about Wine, but about selling native Linux games (like Humble Bundle does). But yeah, let's not go too far off-topic.

norayr 2013-06-21 11:58

I am sure that the percentage of the Jolla potential customers on Diaspora is incomparably bigger than on other social networks.

mikecomputing 2013-06-21 19:16

About Jolla support open media like diaspora:

You do realise that diaspora API is not yet ready?

https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/API-v1

However I think the mer community definitivly should take a look and make it work in nemo at first. The "social media plugin API" are the same used in sailfish AFAIK so its should not be that hard make it work on saifish too. But dont expect Jolla to prioritize this when diaspora API not even near to stable.

Btw. To start a flamewar, RubyOnRails sucks bigtime. I prefer web2py and DJango over RubyOnRails. What a shame diaspore using RoR ;)

shmerl 2013-06-23 04:18

Yeah, Diaspora API is not ready yet, because they are in the process of changing their federation architecture.

I'm not too much into web development, but I think RubyOnRails is good in its own right. It's progressing and if some stuff there is inefficient - it can be fixed. Other than that, it's simply a matter of preference or familiarity with whatever language like Ruby or Python :)