maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   So it begins, Flash sites are updating to Flash 10 now (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53437)

Rushmore 2010-05-23 23:50

So it begins, Flash sites are updating to Flash 10 now

With Flash 10, Flash Lite 4 that is Flash 10.1 compliant and full 10.1 rolling out right now with Android, sites appear to be updating and blocking anything less than Flash 10. Some video and game sites that did work on the N900, do not now and instruct that the latest version of Flash is needed. Mega lame.

Added:

They work fine with Flash Lite 4 on Incredible, but no keyboard makes most games unplayable. Mega lame part deux.

At least I saved a ton of games already, but blocking sites that worked with Flash 9 video sites is just wrong. Especially the jiggly sites... That is just wrong. Sadness. Well, at least the jiggly sites work on one of my devices, but fellow jiggly site lovers with N900's are jiggle free now.

resplendent2209 2010-05-23 23:54

Re: So it begins, Flash sites are updating to Flash 10 now

Blame it on Nokia :D

They have said "Browsing the way it is meant" in the short video of Browser on maemo.nokia.com and now the browser gives error flash 10.1 required.

gerbick 2010-05-23 23:57

What do you mean by "start"? Hulu and a few others have been there for a while... for no real reason.

Now with Flash CS5 and Flash Builder 4 both out now, it's just gonna get spread more.

optimistprime 2010-05-24 00:11

yup....just a couple of weeks ago, i was able to view videos on espn.com on my n900. checked today...and it was a no go. this blows!

Venemo 2010-05-24 00:11

There was a video about Flash 10.1 on the N900 about half a year ago.

Perhaps it is time to release it?

resplendent2209 2010-05-24 00:12

Sources say that N900 will not see Flash 10.1 so bad luck!

adalal 2010-05-24 00:15

what are the sources?

adalal 2010-05-24 00:16

http://maemocentral.com/2009/10/08/v...1-on-the-n900/

That website showcases Flash 10.1 on the N900 :S

gerbick 2010-05-24 00:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by adalal (Post 672438)
what are the sources?

Search the boards. Qole is the start of that speculation and he's rather well connected from my understanding in regards to that.

resplendent2209 2010-05-24 00:18

Read THIS.

Monniman 2010-05-24 00:20

Myspace is now requiring flash 10 too...

DAMN!

This is actually starting to suck quite bad!

slaapliedje 2010-05-24 00:27

If I recall, Qole from here said he knew a guy....

What is public is that;

a) It was shown demoed on the N900 by adobe.
b) Adobe in their forums said that anyone who is a partner of the Open Screen Project hasmbeen given a porting kit to any device they have.
c) Nokia is a Open Screen Project partner.

So if flash 10.1 does not come out for the N900 we know to blame Nokia, not Adobe.

slaapliedje

adalal 2010-05-24 00:31

i do realise that people are quite pessimistic nowadays with regards to the N900, but this makes me think otherwise for some reason, or gives me atleast some hope :)

onaje 2010-05-24 00:32

what is Nokia doing?! i doubt they think we, the consumers, need reasonable and sensical explanations for all the features our device falls short of...maybe they have none!

Rushmore 2010-05-24 00:39

Hulu does not work due to copyright issues with mobile devices. Works for nobody on a phone, not even 10.1.

Adobe stated it is up to the OEM if they want to have Flash Lite 4 or 10.1 for devices. In other words, Nokia need to provide money and support to Adobe.

Who wants to hold their breath for that to happen ;) or perhaps, :(

NvyUs 2010-05-24 01:11

Nokia never like giving ppl the newest of anything even when its possible, they like to force ppl to go and buy the next device.
makes sense from a business point of view but now other brands are offering ppl the latest and greatest on there existing devices, Nokia as to change there ways to keep customers loyal to them or they will run and give there money to some one else

sgbirch 2010-05-24 01:43

This is the last straw. If Nokia actually told us what the hell is going on I might have more patience.

I can only live with the crashes, stuttering, hanging, lack of apps for so long. My N900 is going in the bin (trash for Americans) ... hello Android.

Frankly the N900 is state of the art hardware ruined by piss poor software practices.

Shame on you Nokia.

Steve

mmurfin87 2010-05-24 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rushmore (Post 672468)
Hulu does not work due to copyright issues with mobile devices. Works for nobody on a phone, not even 10.1.(

Surely a User Agent change would negate any efforts by Hulu to block the n900 though.

gerbick 2010-05-24 02:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmurfin87 (Post 672530)
Surely a User Agent change would negate any efforts by Hulu to block the n900 though.

But it won't help the fact that they are requiring FP 10.x

ysss 2010-05-24 03:45

Sooooo..... wouldn't html5 adoption prevent @#!@ like this from happening?

ZogG 2010-05-24 04:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by adalal (Post 672461)
i do realise that people are quite pessimistic nowadays with regards to the N900, but this makes me think otherwise for some reason, or gives me atleast some hope :)

Just wanted to link to that (it was me asking), but again as i see it, it's not yes and not no. they just don't give straight answers. but on other hand we know that there is flash 10.1 for n900 (it was on video and it's same arm as droids have), so why it would be so difficult to release and why Adobe need to ask Nokia( i think it's connected to pr1.2 (sounds stupid, but again what does they mean by "working close with Nokia")

slaapliedje 2010-05-24 04:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 672581)
Sooooo..... wouldn't html5 adoption prevent @#!@ like this from happening?

No, because HTML5 is simply not designed to do everything that Flash is. As much as I hate flash being a closed product and I think every internet technology should be open sourced / specced, it IS still needed for a lot of things besides video streaming.

slaapliedje

gom4381 2010-05-24 04:30

I think one of these two things are going to happen. Either you get flash when the system is upgraded, not included in update but available in extra-devel or something like the Nexus One, or you don't get it. Android users have to have Froyo to download the BETA, again I repeat, BETA to use flash 10.1. It just came out a few days ago. Most handsets are not able to get Froyo unless they root their device. It is still in beta but runs okay on Nexus. Similar to when I had the N900.

The app was not in android before update. You can't see it unless you have it.

Crom 2010-05-24 06:12

is this why some sites goes to mobile version site now? eg facebook goes automaticly to http://m.facebook.com/

mece 2010-05-24 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crom (Post 672698)
is this why some sites goes to mobile version site now? eg facebook goes automaticly to http://m.facebook.com/

no. completely unrelated. you can bookmark http://www.facebook.com/home.php instead to get the proper version

ysss 2010-05-24 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaapliedje (Post 672600)
No, because HTML5 is simply not designed to do everything that Flash is. As much as I hate flash being a closed product and I think every internet technology should be open sourced / specced, it IS still needed for a lot of things besides video streaming.

slaapliedje

To me, flash provides:
1. Video streaming
2. Graphically rich web UI
3. Other multimedia content (games, slideshow, etc)

Since this thread is about (1), my question still stands.

It seems to me html5 can take care of #1 and #2 just fine. I don't know how html5 handles #3, but I don't use those much anyway and would rather block (and optionally view) those type of contents.

attila77 2010-05-24 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 672768)
It seems to me html5 can take care of #1 and #2 just fine. I don't know how html5 handles #3, but I don't use those much anyway and would rather block (and optionally view) those type of contents.

One tiny note, html5 is not a player. The browser (with the formats IT supports) is. Does anyone here remember just how long it took to get proper PNG support in all major browsers ? So far it seems we will be seing a GIF/PNG style feud for a long time to come.

felbutss 2010-05-24 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crom (Post 672698)

lol funny......

felbutss 2010-05-24 06:53

man. the world is one funny place. no wonder apple has taken everyone over. brainwashed.

what does everyone think HTML5 is??? a flash replacement???? adobe flash is some kind of evil?????? lol HTML5 it will never ever fully replace flash ever. ever ever. ever ever ever. eevr. ever.

Flash 10.1 will bring something amazing. GPU SUPPORT & ACCELEROMETER SUPPORT............etc. no more lag. no more software rendering. flash 10 and html5 will be amazing hand in hand

ysss 2010-05-24 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 672778)
One tiny note, html5 is not a player. The browser (with the formats IT supports) is. Does anyone here remember just how long it took to get proper PNG support in all major browsers ? So far it seems we will be seing a GIF/PNG style feud for a long time to come.

Yes.

Though I would reckon the rate of adoption is much faster today than it was during the IE5-6 era with better auto-update mechanism, broad broadband availability, more knowledgeable users, etc.

Anyway, it's like we have to choose between the lesser of two evils here.

ysss 2010-05-24 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by felbutss (Post 672782)
what does everything HTML5 is???

wat?

felbutss 2010-05-24 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 672787)
wat?

opppss should read what i write before i submit. i fixd it lol

AndrewG 2010-05-24 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 672441)
Search the boards. Qole is the start of that speculation and he's rather well connected from my understanding in regards to that.

If it's true, Nokia has just lost several customers. Including me.

ysss 2010-05-24 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by felbutss (Post 672782)
man. the world is one funny place. no wonder apple has taken everyone over. brainwashed.

what does everyone think HTML5 is??? a flash replacement???? adobe flash is some kind of evil?????? lol HTML5 it will never ever fully replace flash ever. ever ever. ever ever ever. eevr. ever.

Flash 10.1 will bring something amazing. GPU SUPPORT & ACCELEROMETER SUPPORT............etc. no more lag. no more software rendering. flash 10 and html5 will be amazing hand in hand

They're different standards with some overlapping application. Video and Rich UI are where html5 and flash seem to overlap the most to me. Video is the most controversial point due to many reason and it's the main point of this thread.

html5 will bring improvements to whole sites, not just selected flash elements on a web page. It has offline support, geolocation support, etc.... and it can also be programmed to support GPU acceleration (MS makes a big deal of this on their upcoming IE9).

felbutss 2010-05-24 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysss (Post 672807)
They're different standards with some overlapping application. Video and Rich UI are where html5 and flash seem to overlap the most to me. Video is the most controversial point due to many reason and it's the main point of this thread.

html5 will bring improvements to whole sites, not just selected flash elements on a web page. It has offline support, geolocation support, etc.... and it can also be programmed to support GPU acceleration (MS makes a big deal of this on their upcoming IE9).

I agree. I do see a benefit in basic web content like video with HTML5

But

Flash is so much more. Unless there is a real game changer out there ie:none. Then flash will always have a place on the internet. I admit they were late to the game to optimize flash for mobile device.

AlMehdi 2010-05-24 07:45

The html5 discussion is irrelevant as long as there are sites using flash. A device not having support for flash will be limited.

Frappacino 2010-05-24 07:47

lolers guys, after the Meego fiasco, why does this surprise you ?

continuing the same pattern of behaviour, N900 will not get flash 10 unless its a community effort (lolers good luck on that haha)

As many have said, if you are not satisfied by what the n900 can do NOW, sell your N900 and get something else.

n900 is deadend for support by the major players, n900 is a niche market that very few companies (lol what just sygic and 1 or 2 others?) even notice.

Again if you are not happy with your n900 now, stop hoping and SELL your n900, and buy something else that you ARE happy with. Tell your friends NOT to buy Nokia, screw Meego

That is the ONLY way to teach Nokia a lesson on taking their customers for granted.

attila77 2010-05-24 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frappacino (Post 672842)

What MeeGo fiasco ?

AlMehdi 2010-05-24 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frappacino (Post 672842)

continuing the same pattern of behaviour, N900 will not get flash 10 unless its a community effort (lolers good luck on that haha)

As many have said, if you are not satisfied by what the n900 can do NOW, sell your N900 and get something else.

n900 is deadend for support by the major players, n900 is a niche market that very few companies (lol what just sygic and 1 or 2 others?) even notice.

Again if you are not happy with your n900 now, stop hoping and SELL your n900, and buy something else that you ARE happy with. Tell your friends NOT to buy Nokia, screw Meego

That is the ONLY way to teach Nokia a lesson on taking their customers for granted.

Who put a dime in you? If you are not happy with your n900 you will probably not be happy with some other either. What MeeGo fiasco are you talking about?

ivanzorkic 2010-05-24 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by attila77 (Post 672846)
What MeeGo fiasco ?

His inability to wait for things as opposed to having them the second he wants?