maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Price of N900 is getting lower and lower (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53075)

fergusso 2010-05-19 09:38

Price of N900 is getting lower and lower

I checked several stores and also online sites. the value of n900 is really getting lower and lower. the resale value now is much cheaper than any of its competitor like xperia x10 and others:

one of the reasons I can see is that a lot of people are moving to another phone due to a lot of reasons like they find the phone complicated etc.

this is not a hate n900 thread

can you give me more facts about this? I'm sure n900 still are among the top phones in the market when it comes to specs.

ossipena 2010-05-19 09:43

Re: Value of N900 is getiing lower and lower

haha :D

when was x10 released?
what about N900?

stupid speculation. of course resale price goes down when hardware gets older and older.... (why should you pay original sale price after a year if you can get more for your buck by buying new device?)

geneven 2010-05-19 09:43

My impression is that it's not dropping fast enough! I'd like to buy another one.

ivanzorkic 2010-05-19 09:46

Value getting lower, 7 months after release? Wow!

It's, in fact, holding out quite nicely.

johnel 2010-05-19 09:51

This thread makes no sense.

Is this a complaint about the price falling?!!

Is this a complaint about IT equipment becoming cheaper to buy?!!

If you want to pay full price by all means go right ahead.

Is this a revelation?
Older mobile phones (yeah, yeah not a phone!) fall in price as newer models enter the market.

Well f*** me I never noticed.

Your razor-sharp quick-witted intellect fails to impress me.

I can imagine future thread titles:
"Are we in a recession?"
"Where did Saddam Hussien go?"
"Has anyone thought about our enviromental impact?"
"Where do babies come from?"

F2thaK 2010-05-19 09:54

hahahahahaahahahahaaaaaa

gabby131 2010-05-19 09:56

i bought mine last january and still the price of this device is on the range of USD 500 (well in my previous searches)

EDIT: i believe this device prices up to USD 700 from pre-order up to release date. (not 100% sure)

Spotfist 2010-05-19 09:56

I hope it keeps dropping as I don't wana have to fork out a fortune if I ever break my n900!!!

I don't see how this phone can be compared to the likes of the iphone or htc etc.

For someone who nows what they are doing this phone is... well it's the greatest! I wish pr1.2 would arrive bringing a bit more battery life maybe but even that aint a problem, a phone that I can check emails, check facebook, play day of the tentacle, a bit of quake3 and then listen to internet radio... honestly what more could a person want.

Bring on the price cuts I say, I want an n900 connected to my car as an onboard pc! ;)

zehjotkah 2010-05-19 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnel (Post 665755)
This thread makes no sense.

Is this a complaint about the price falling?!!

Is this a complaint about IT equipment becoming cheaper to buy?!!

If you want to pay full price by all means go right ahead.

Is this a revelation?
Older mobile phones (yeah, yeah not a phone!) fall in price as newer models enter the market.

Well f*** me I never noticed.

Your razor-sharp quick-witted intellect fails to impress me.

I can imagine future thread titles:
"Are we in a recession?"
"Where did Saddam Hussien go?"
"Has anyone thought about our enviromental impact?"
"Where do babies come from?"

he's not kidding...

I like turtles..

santiago 2010-05-19 09:58

its going next to the real price.... it will stop at 50 euros i think... poor me... and my money

malabar 2010-05-19 09:59

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Unlocked Smartphone in Black. Quad-band Gsm, Tri-band Cdma. Tmobile 3g Compatiable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $679.95

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by MobileCityOnline.

is this the phone you're comparing it to? released in feb so 3 months difference in release dates

gabby131 2010-05-19 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotfist (Post 665765)
I hope it keeps dropping as I don't wana have to fork out a fortune if I ever break my n900!!!

I don't see how this phone can be compared to the likes of the iphone or htc etc.

For someone who nows what they are doing this phone is... well it's the greatest! I wish pr1.2 would arrive bringing a bit more battery life maybe but even that aint a problem, a phone that I can check emails, check facebook, play day of the tentacle, a bit of quake3 and then listen to internet radio... honestly what more could a person want.

Bring on the price cuts I say, I want an n900 connected to my car as an onboard pc! ;)

yeah.....the most hackable phone ever!

sells 400 USD (under a rebate though)

rcarlos 2010-05-19 10:03

Is it only the economic value which is on the down side !... believe with the prolonged delay of support services, there is a chance that the utility value would also go down the same path

Deaconclgi 2010-05-19 10:17

I remember when the Dreamcast dropped to $50......after I bought a couple at $200. My $56,000 Audi is worth about $6,000 after 10 years....blasted technological advancements!!!!!! grrrr

I paid $561 for my N900 in Feb 2010 and $529 for my N82 in June 2008. No complaints here. :) Yay for technological advancemets.

See, price satisfaction is subjective to expectations and individual awareness of gain or loss.

Wait....what am I rambling about........

matts76 2010-05-19 10:38

Of course its getting cheaper, this thread is a total waste of time!
Ive never heard of a single piece of technology that didn't go down in price with age, if they didn't we'd all be paying thousands for a dvd player or lcd tv, its called progress, if you brought your n900 as an investment then you need your head looking at, if you want to make price comparisons then you need to use something released at the same time for a similar price.
Everyone knows (except op it seems) newer products cost more, you pay a premium to be among the first to have the newest technology!

kojacker 2010-05-19 10:46

The sliding price of the n900 is something that has been brought up in the "for sale" threads several times, the price was holding up well until around the MeeGo announcement and then dropped like a stone. It's been sliding at a fairly rapid pace since but has picked up recently. A couple of weeks back they were selling on ebay for around £350, there's now a lot more of them listed for auction and they're now going regularly for around £265-£280. The selling points is something I've been keeping an eye on myself from the release of the Desire, but it's now dropping to the point where it feels not worth selling it and more value to stick with it a few months until the next round of handsets come out. It can't drop a lot lower in that time... surely :)

anismistry 2010-05-19 10:55

Its launched in Australia few days back and its not available anywhere all sold, wait for next batch.
Its a damn revolutionary phone. Why are you worried abt the price going down are you a seller

Hynde 2010-05-19 10:57

Even value of my money getting lower and lower when I'm keeping it under my pillow.

qwerty12 2010-05-19 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hynde (Post 665833)
Even value of my money getting lower and lower when I'm keeping it under my pillow.

There's only one solution for that: Use it to buy cocaine!

cyeung 2010-05-19 11:02

I would suspect that the sliding Euro is a contributing factor. Suppose the n900 costs x Euros when it was released and the price in Euros is the same today. When the device was released (Nov. 19, 2009), 1 Euro = 1.4986 USD, so I would have to pay $1.49886x. Today, 1 Euro = 1.2182 USD, so I would have to pay $1.2182x.

Hynde 2010-05-19 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 665836)
There's only one solution for that: Use it to buy cocaine!

Does value of cocaine stay stable?

optimistprime 2010-05-19 11:12

thats one of those things that relies more on consumer demand.....

twigleaf1976 2010-05-19 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanzorkic (Post 665750)
Value getting lower, 7 months after release? Wow!

It's, in fact, holding out quite nicely.

I would be interested in your facts. Iphones hold their price six months later, and drop much slower. HTC phones drop in price but at a slower rate. My N900 was less than half it's value after six months, using ebay as a measure for second hand market. I think the fact it drops is the nature of the market as most have said, advancements, better models and such like.

To me the original post was one of the 'speed' of it's drop? Which looking at Ebay, is quite rapid. First time sellers like Expansys are seeing a much lower drop but that is their choice, though they also don't allow negative feedback for the N900 on their web pages, which is interesting in itself.

cjp 2010-05-19 11:20

I was quite pleasantly surprised that the N900 was cheaper than the competition at launch to begin with. I mean the N97 Mini still sells at that 600e pricetag, and that's only because of the CWM service. A bag full of hot air!

I don't think the N900 has yet reached a baergain price. The price is sticking relatively well.

benny1967 2010-05-19 11:27

I got interested in this topic and compared prices for three phones in my country: the iPhone 3Gs, the Nokia N97 and the Nokia N900. I took the original price (day they became available here) and the price 6 months later. Prices are taken from an online service that lists cheapest available offers.

Here are the results expressed as "price after 6 months as percent of original price":

iPhone 3Gs: 79% of the original price
Nokia N97: 82% of the original price
Nokia N900: 87% of the original price

In other words, somebody who bought an iPhone 3GS on day 1 lost 21% of his money if he sold the device half a year later. N97 owners lost 18% and N900 owners would lose only 13%.

rcarlos 2010-05-19 11:35

Interesting Benny,

Wld like to believe, all the 3 models are not carrier locked and not in contract. I know the N900 isnt but the other 2 ?

zehjotkah 2010-05-19 11:36

You can see the same results as Benny stated on http://www.hardwareschotte.de (german price comparison site).

benny1967 2010-05-19 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcarlos (Post 665886)
Wld like to believe, all the 3 models are not carrier locked and not in contract. I know the N900 isnt but the other 2 ?

I compared unlocked/unbranded versions.

fergusso 2010-05-22 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 (Post 665863)
I would be interested in your facts. Iphones hold their price six months later, and drop much slower. HTC phones drop in price but at a slower rate. My N900 was less than half it's value after six months, using ebay as a measure for second hand market. I think the fact it drops is the nature of the market as most have said, advancements, better models and such like.

To me the original post was one of the 'speed' of it's drop? Which looking at Ebay, is quite rapid. First time sellers like Expansys are seeing a much lower drop but that is their choice, though they also don't allow negative feedback for the N900 on their web pages, which is interesting in itself.

yes that's what i meant the speed the phone value is dropping based on a 2nd hand market. I'm quite impressed there are still people who's got wits to understand the thread starter instead of criticizing negatively the idea like the first few posters in this thread.

fergusso 2010-05-22 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by matts76 (Post 665813)
Of course its getting cheaper, this thread is a total waste of time!
Ive never heard of a single piece of technology that didn't go down in price with age, if they didn't we'd all be paying thousands for a dvd player or lcd tv, its called progress, if you brought your n900 as an investment then you need your head looking at, if you want to make price comparisons then you need to use something released at the same time for a similar price.
Everyone knows (except op it seems) newer products cost more, you pay a premium to be among the first to have the newest technology!

if you think this is a total waste of time then don't be stupid posting a single word here.

Venemo 2010-05-22 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by fergusso (Post 665737)
I checked several stores and also online sites. the value of n900 is really getting lower and lower. the resale value now is much cheaper than any of its competitor like xperia x10 and others:

one of the reasons I can see is that a lot of people are moving to another phone due to a lot of reasons like they find the phone complicated etc.

can you give me more facts about this? I'm sure n900 still are among the top phones in the market when it comes to specs.

It is a common trend.

After being more than a half year on the market, the price of the device eventually starts to go down.

The main reason for this is that all the people who would buy it at the previous price already bought it, and most of the other potential customers wouldn't buy it for such a high price.

The other reason is that used units are steadily flowing into the market thus forcing the value of the new ones to go down as well.

It is not a particularty negative or bad thing. It happened to all of the handsets I watched over the past few years.

Rebeldiamond 2010-05-22 00:20

I sold my 900 back in february to CEX and it's STILL on the shelf gathering dust £150 less than what i sold it for.
I sold at the right time :)

wmarone 2010-05-22 00:22

The resale value of electronics has never been high, unless it was Apple or otherwise extremely rare.

imperiallight 2010-05-22 00:29

A vodafone n900 in less than good condition has a cash value of £172 to
CEX.

RogerTHAcctant 2010-05-22 00:30

Actually when it was on preorder on dell it's been as low as 350 after rebate and cashback. I actualy preordered it at that price but cancelled because dells orders were backordered and was taking months to ship out.

Right now i'm seeing a lot of deals for the n900 at 420 now on slickdeals.net and other deal sites, that's still 70 dollars over it's all time low before the phone was even released. I believe theres a recent one for 370 when you trade in your old phone.

But even if it is getting lower that's not a bad thing. It's been on he market for a long time and If people weren't buying the phone of course they would drop the price, wouldn't make sense for them not to.

But think about this, this can only mean good for the community, they're lowering the barrier to entry, and that means the community will be bigger for maemo users. This will bring a lot more support and possibly with more support many big name developers would join in, especially because meego will be out soon

Rebeldiamond 2010-05-22 00:34

Play.com prices for comparison

Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB / Sim Free / Unlocked / Touch Screen Mobile Phone (Black)

£749.99

Nokia N900 32GB / Sim Free / Unlocked / 5.0 Megapixel / Touch Screen Mobile Phone (Black)

£449.99

Nokia N97 8GB Mini / Sim Free / Unlocked / 5.0 Megapixel / Touch Screen Mobile Phone

£329.99 Free Delivery

Dollyknot 2010-05-22 00:43

You talk like a fool if I could plug my n900 directly into my head I would.

Batteries - don't make me smirk, my wallet is my battery.

Texrat 2010-05-22 00:45

Prices naturally drop on items after their launch. This is nothing new, nor is it unique to the N900. It's not necessarily an indication of change in value.

schettj 2010-05-22 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by fergusso (Post 665737)

you had me fooled

Anyway, it's a phone, not Stock. The value, she goes down.

The value of my Touch Pro 2 is way down. The value of my Touch Pro is nearly 0.

What does that mean?

It means don't invest in handsets.

harp 2010-05-22 00:57

I can tell you right now that soon as a Meego phone hits the market the price is gonna drop like a brick. So if you're after resale value, sell it now.

Personally I don't ever hold a phone long enough to worry about resale value. The longest I've lasted with a phone is 1 year.