maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   When will Maemo 5 be provisionable? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44836)

Tex14 2010-02-17 12:47

When will Maemo 5 be provisionable?

and provide provisioning for Mail for Exchange so I dont have to carry two devices at once?

cashclientel 2010-02-17 12:48

Re: when will N900 act like a real computer......

Exchange sync is supported by the device? Are you saying you've got a problem with yours that means it isn't working?

Works fine for me anyway.

Rob1n 2010-02-17 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 532034)
and provide provisioning for Mail for Exchange so I dont have to carry two devices at once?

I doubt it'll ever happen with the N900 (not on Maemo 5 anyway). In order to validate the provisioning, you need to be able to guarantee the integrity of all the components. With the level of control the user has under Maemo 5, this is unlikely to be possible (hence the introduction of a separate "DRM mode" for Harmattan).

If you feel strongly about this, then please do vote for the relevant bug so that it actually gets brought to the attention of the developers.

HangLoose 2010-02-17 13:03

works for me.

Tex14 2010-02-17 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashclientel (Post 532038)
Exchange sync is supported by the device? Are you saying you've got a problem with yours that means it isn't working?

cant sync with my server.....other nokia devices are all fine

Rob1n 2010-02-17 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashclientel (Post 532038)

Exchange sync is supported, but provisioning is not. What this means is that if your company has a security policy in place which includes requirements for mobile devices connecting to the Exchange server (minimum password length, ability to remote lock/wipe, etc), then the N900 will not work.

Tex14 2010-02-17 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1n (Post 532070)
Exchange sync is supported, but provisioning is not. What this means is that if your company has a security policy in place which includes requirements for mobile devices connecting to the Exchange server (minimum password length, ability to remote lock/wipe, etc), then the N900 will not work.

I guess it is not a computer than

Alex Atkin UK 2010-02-18 00:34

Re: When will Maemo 5 be a provisionable device?

Does desktop Linux support it?

ewan 2010-02-18 00:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 533284)
I guess it is not a computer than

Um; so a device that's under the control of its owner isn't a computer, but a locked-down client that simply runs as an obedient slave to a remote server is?

I think you may need to adjust your idea of what a computer is.

noobmonkey 2010-02-18 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1n (Post 532070)

Thats interesting, works with NHS.net fine? - yet that forces minimum length, remote wipe etc.......

mikhmv 2010-02-18 00:48

I would like to have Exchange client which will cheat with server.
It is mean will answer that it is provisioning device but really not....

ewan 2010-02-18 09:23

That's been suggested. Unfortunately, the Exchange sync code is proprietary software so no-one can change it other than Nokia, and they say they won't make it do that.

Palleman 2010-02-18 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 532034)

My guess, and hope, is never. I wouldn't want that kind of feature on my machine unless I'm the only one that can trigger it.

Fargus 2010-02-18 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 532065)
cant sync with my server.....other nokia devices are all fine

ALL other Nokia devices or just those using Symbian? Different OS and different rules!

cashclientel 2010-02-18 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 533863)
My guess, and hope, is never. I wouldn't want that kind of feature on my machine unless I'm the only one that can trigger it.

Surely the answer to this is a stand alone app that exists in a sandbox? if the exchange admin wants to do anything then he can do.

What's i'd say as well is that the exchange admin owns the data - therefore if he wants to wipe it, demand a certain type of password, etc, then he's free to do so. 'my realm, my rules'

Palleman 2010-02-18 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashclientel (Post 533882)
What's i'd say as well is that the exchange admin owns the data - therefore if he wants to wipe it, demand a certain type of password, etc, then he's free to do so. 'my realm, my rules'

The Exchange admin doesn't own the data, I do. He owns the server. If he doesn't want my data on his server, then he can disable my account and delete whatever data I've left on the server, and I'll keep my data elsewhere.

Same goes for the phone. The phone is owned by my employer (at least officially), but the data on it is mine. If he wants to, he can take the phone back, and I'll keep my data elsewhere.

I don't think a sandbox will be enough. Microsoft will never consider the phone as provisionable as long as the user has unlimited root on it.

cashclientel 2010-02-18 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 533908)
The phone is owned by my employer (at least officially), but the data on it is mine.

I'd estimate that this isn't true in 99% of cases. work emails belong to... work.

And like I said, Nokia could make a stand along Exchange application separate from Modest and enable provisioning for it. That way the employer can keep control of their data ('your' work emails) and you can keep your sanity that the boss doesn't have an unleashed worm in your pocket.

Palleman 2010-02-18 13:37

I disagree regarding the data ownership, but I agree that a separate application could be a solution. Then those who agree with you regarding the ownership can use that separate application, and those who don't can just refrain from even installing it.

But I doubt it would be enough for MS. It would be very easy for a user to move stuff out of that provisioned sandbox.

Tex14 2010-02-18 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fargus (Post 533881)
ALL other Nokia devices or just those using Symbian? Different OS and different rules!

Symbian.....N96, E51

jcompagner 2010-02-18 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikhmv (Post 533381)
I would like to have Exchange client which will cheat with server.
It is mean will answer that it is provisioning device but really not....

that would also be my solution if i had the source and i could change it :)

But i can imagine that Nokia will not or cant do that because they have to conform some rules.

But if the open source community could build an open source solution....
Aren't there any other exchange clients for linux?

Tex14 2010-02-18 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 533908)
The Exchange admin doesn't own the data, I do. He owns the server. If he doesn't want my data on his server, then he can disable my account and delete whatever data I've left on the server, and I'll keep my data elsewhere.

Same goes for the phone. The phone is owned by my employer (at least officially), but the data on it is mine. If he wants to, he can take the phone back, and I'll keep my data elsewhere.

I don't think a sandbox will be enough. Microsoft will never consider the phone as provisionable as long as the user has unlimited root on it.

Corporation pretty much owns everything since they gave you the job, they pay your salary and you are supposed to be using it for THEIR work............therefore you OWN nothing, nada, neicht, nein

Texrat 2010-02-18 20:53

Re: When will Maemo 5 be provisionable?

Good God, Guber99, is this the only issue you have???

77h 2010-02-18 21:16

so gruber99 was finally banned and re registered as Tex14?

find him a girlfriend or ban his ip address

Texrat 2010-02-18 21:18

Yes. Actually this is his second new account after banning. :rolleyes:

mrmoosehead 2010-02-18 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 535255)

it smelt of troll.

pycage 2010-02-18 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcompagner (Post 534869)
But if the open source community could build an open source solution....
Aren't there any other exchange clients for linux?

There are two that I know of that both access exchange through OWA.

Very buggy and unreliable: Evolution with Exchange Connector

Stable and reliable: DavMail (http://davmail.sourceforge.net/), which is not a mail client on its own but a gateway for accessing exchange functions via IMAP4, POP3, CalDAV, and LDAP. DavMail is in Java so it would hard to port to the N900.

Tex14 2010-02-18 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 535255)

Who are you calling Guber??? hell ya, that is a big issue, I cant use the device during the day without functioning and syncing exchange. It may be OK for teenagers and unemployed........

Texrat 2010-02-18 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 535342)
It may be OK for teenagers and unemployed........

A smart troll would find a new tagline.

Tex14 2010-02-18 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 535345)

If you got nothing constructive to say.........go shoot some armadillos

Konceptz 2010-02-18 21:45

I'm sorry for any that are actually following this thread but, have you noticed that the N900 generates way more hate than any other device.

I think it's way above proportional sales/hate ratios.

Finally, for the search engine clickers..

My exchange server sync works great!

fatalsaint 2010-02-18 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 535345)

Especially when they're trying to pretend they aren't them.

At least Orangebox admitted he was ban-evading..

SubCore 2010-02-18 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konceptz (Post 535374)
I'm sorry for any that are actually following this thread but, have you noticed that the N900 generates way more hate than any other device.

I think it's way above proportional sales/hate ratios.

no, that's a matter of perception, because t.m.o. is not nearly as restrictive as similar boards.
you'd probably never see as many threads like these on an apple board as you do here. not to mention fewer posts by "troublesome" members. ;)

Palleman 2010-02-19 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 535251)
Corporation pretty much owns everything since they gave you the job, they pay your salary and you are supposed to be using it for THEIR work............therefore you OWN nothing, nada, neicht, nein

They didn't give me the job more than I gave them my body. Jobs aren't given... we're not talking charity here. If you've got a job it's because you're worth it, not because someone gave it to you.

Employments are agreements between two parts, where one part agrees to pay money and the other part agrees to produce results. That agreement includes what they want me to produce, but how I do should be up to me. If I needed my employer to tell me how to do my stuff, we would probably both be better off if I worked somewhere else.

My employer own the results I produce (since that's what they pay me for), not the documents/scripts/tools/whatever I use along the way to produce those results, and definitely not my conversations with other people.

Fargus 2010-02-19 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 534603)
Symbian.....N96, E51

The whole point I was trying to make is that Symbian is a locked down system, Maemo is not. The OS is entirely different so just because they have the same manufacturer means nothing.

Fargus 2010-02-19 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 535251)

Depends on the legislation in the locale: in the UK and a number of other jurasdictions this is actually incorrect, the employee owns the emails rights.

somedude 2010-02-19 00:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex14 (Post 535342)
It may be OK for teenagers and unemployed........

Teenagers and unemployed will have a time like this to troll on the sites and keep complaining about the same thing over and over and over and over at numerous threads. Even when banned have so much time to create another user and be online all day long. If you really have a so called real job how come you are not doing your job?
I dont know what will make this YOU

Tex14 2010-02-19 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 535662)
They didn't give me the job more than I gave them my body. Jobs aren't given... we're not talking charity here. If you've got a job it's because you're worth it, not because someone gave it to you.

Employments are agreements between two parts, where one part agrees to pay money and the other part agrees to produce results. That agreement includes what they want me to produce, but how I do should be up to me. If I needed my employer to tell me how to do my stuff, we would probably both be better off if I worked somewhere else.

My employer own the results I produce (since that's what they pay me for), not the documents/scripts/tools/whatever I use along the way to produce those results, and definitely not my conversations with other people.

You better read the small print. I think what you write is your own opinion about the way things should be, the reality is very different

Tex14 2010-02-19 03:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by somedude (Post 535684)
Teenagers and unemployed will have a time like this to troll on the sites and keep complaining about the same thing over and over and over and over at numerous threads. Even when banned have so much time to create another user and be online all day long. If you really have a so called real job how come you are not doing your job?
I dont know what will make this YOU

Are you either?

Tex14 2010-02-19 03:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fargus (Post 535664)
The whole point I was trying to make is that Symbian is a locked down system, Maemo is not. The OS is entirely different so just because they have the same manufacturer means nothing.

I understand. However, they advertised MfE. MfE for me means corporate email. That was not the case. Someone here had a post, originating in september when they were testing the device, and they noticed that it was not provisioned. They posted that this will cause huge anger among corporate users..........they were right

Texrat 2010-02-19 03:06

Speaking of provisioning: you're here provisionally, Guber99.