maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Multimedia (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Canola] Canola2 beta8 Known Issues * Bugs : Please check here First if you have problems (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=18727)

handful 2008-04-05 02:01

[Canola] Canola2 beta8 Known Issues * Bugs : Please check here First if you have problems

This topic will be updated every time we found a new "issue" and have a solution, so keep checking this before posting, because you may find a faster solution.

Most important NOTE
IF you use DEVEL repositories like, extras-devel you will face problems.
Why : the extras-devel are experimental packages to be tested. So, Python launcher, Mplayer and so on, PLEASE don't use those with CANOLA. If you are user that don't experiment with DEVELOPER grade applications you will not face problems.

Sorry for that, but our focus is more on those that don't know how to deal with command lines etc, i you are heavy user and likes to experiment you will face problems :)

So first we recommend:

1. PLEASE MAKE SURE you DISABLE DEVEL GRADE REPOSITORIES.
2. REMOVE python-launcher before install canola, then install again
3. REMOVE the devel grade MPLAYER, install .26 official version from extras (not extras devel)
4. AFTER INSTALL Mplayer you are ready to install Canolabeta8
5. Install beta8

You should be ok.

So for the Mplayer problems : please make sure :

The best MPlayer version to use is the MPlayer 1.0rc1-maemo.26.n8x0
from "extras" repository. It's important to note that versions from
"extras devel" are not stable and should be avoided if you want to
have everything working as expected.

------------------- Issues-------------------

Video playback is choppy - skipping frames / sound
Quote:

It seems that the version of ATABAKE (our media layer) and Mplayer .24 causes a lot of performance issue. So make sure you have At least ATABAKE 1.4 and mplayer .26.

If you don't know how to become root and etc. I recommend the following : Unninstall canola completely with canola-cleanup tool (is in the application manager). Reboot the device, then install canola2 from scratch. If you know, you can do an apt-get update, then install atabake. (you may find a dbus problem read below)

We will update this issue, it seems that we found another bug ( the DBUS identity not found problem)
Last.fm Next button not working consistently
Quote:

the user Fms has pointed us to the bug, that is caused when you leave the "default music player " options : shuffle and repeat "on" and go to last.fm plugin. We will solve this in the next update, for now please turn off shuffle and random on music player before listening to last.fm

Last.fm Login problems : it always says "unknown user" or error on Time Zone
Quote:

There's a small issue with the keyboard when not on a GTK application. It seems that the FN key (used for entering numbers etc) doesn't work perfectly (2 presses will not "hold it" like expected) so please check your password if you get the "Unknown user" Error message and your password has numbers or FN activated symbols.

For the timezone problem, we will disable the check that is recommend on the last.fm protocol and will solve the problem. for now, please configure your clock on the correct time zone.

Canola don't load and then you get the following error when running canola with --vv on xterm"process 2044: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory"
Quote:

This is probably also due to the Devel grade repository problem. So you can also try :
First, close canola. then run this on xterm :
dbus-uuidgen --ensure

test canola again.

After leaving the Last.fm playing screen (playing a music) and goes to any other playback screen (video or music), and going back to last.fm will not play the music that was playing before.

Quote:

If you try playing (the previous interrupted) song and got the "Unknown error" it's because canola cannot play the interrupted song. So just hit NEXT ( >| ) and it will begin to play the next song perfectly.

hircus 2008-04-06 21:44

Re: Canola2 beta8 Known Issues * Bugs : Please check here First if you have problems

This does not appear to be known yet:
- I'm using Canola2 to play mostly Ogg files. Canola would stop with 0:00 remaining at the end of each track, until I manually press right on the D-pad or the 'next song' button
- In album cover view, after selecting an album (so the cover image is on the left and the song list is on the right), if I tap on the cover image rather than a song, it zooms back out, and to the left of the album I see a new slot, divided into four quadrants, with the top left containing a resized cover image of the previously-selected album and the top right containing an unknown album icon.

handful 2008-04-07 01:05

Re: Canola2 beta8 Known Issues * Bugs : Please check here First if you have problems

@hircus :

- We will take a look at the ogg playback. You are using Tuomas package right?

- album view :

That's the cover selection tool. Downloading cover from internet sometimes comes with several different quality / releases coves.

If you had more covers they would show there. The empty cover is to allow you to delete a cover (if you get for example a nude pic instead of a album- it happens)
And we are finishing our design to allow you to "pick from file" also there. So if you have no cover, you can hit the button and pick a file from disk to be the cover.

Cheers,

Marcelo

hircus 2008-04-07 05:32

Yes, Tuomas' ogg-support-0.6 .

Regarding the cover -- yes, I would have realized it sooner, if I had not pre-pruned my covers a few beta releases ago. All my albums have only one cover, which is why I only saw that cover and the blank image. Thanks!

GeraldKo 2008-04-07 22:26

Reggie and handful, is there a way to make this thread a "sticky" to keep it at the top of the home page list and new posts list for as long as Beta8 is out? (I don't have the mplayer version problem or the extra repository problems -- I'm just trying to be helpful :) )

handful 2008-04-08 00:19

I think we should ask reggie directly :)
it's a good idea!

b-man 2008-04-08 00:48

2 Attachment(s)
Is this suppose to happen on the canola startup?, probibly not.

as you see, the home gui is in a list (not as icons)
was this suppose to hapen?
here's some screenshots; (one of some unknown feacher?)

Unfortunately those were the only screenshots that i was abele to obtain because all the other buttons were unresponsive on canola:(:(:(

and when i tryed to launch using x-terminal the same results appeared and i know i don't have those apps listed above....

here's the results from launching canola:

~ $ canola
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "ecore.c_ecore_timer.pxi", line 12, in ecore.c_ecore.timer_cb
File "ecore.c_ecore_timer.pxi", line 74, in ecore.c_ecore.Timer._exec
File "canola-core/sub_menu/ui.py", line 368, in shower
IndexError: pop from empty list
File "ecore.c_ecore_timer.pxi", line 12, in ecore.c_ecore.timer_cb
File "ecore.c_ecore_timer.pxi", line 74, in ecore.c_ecore.Timer._exec
File "canola-core/sub_menu/ui.py", line 368, in shower
IndexError: pop from empty list

Is there a way of fixing this problem? I really need help:(

handful 2008-04-08 01:12

Bman : wait a couple of minutes :))) this is the first time I see this, and I think you need one of the team's wizard :) to figure out exactly what happens :) I'm just a single servant compared to them :)))))

Morpheuz is analyzing the error...

Cheers

b-man 2008-04-08 01:13

It won't even launch now!:(

morphbr 2008-04-08 01:14

Hi,

Could you please tell us if you have python-launcher installed ? And could you please try to run canola in verbose mode and post here the results ?

$> canola -vv

Thanks!

briand 2008-04-08 01:23

Quote:

line 368, in shower
hmm... this line should be squeaky clean, now. ;)

b-man 2008-04-08 01:46

here's the results for canola -vv:

~ $ canola -vv
File "/usr/bin/canola", line 18, in <module>
import ecore
ImportError: No module named ecore

And no, i don't have python-launcher installed:).

handful 2008-04-08 01:57

Hi Bman : you are facing a problem like some others : corrupted installation. For some reason, the application manage allowed a wrong / corrupted package to be installed, causing the problem.

So please follow the basic instructions :

a. install Canola-Cleanup
b. Run canola-Cleanup (this is a cleanup that only could be done with command line so we did this small app)

c. Reboot (just to make sure the "deamons" are "shut down" *deamons are the apps that canola let running to make sure your media is always available.

d. Make sure to disable all repositories but (the default ones and maemo and maemo extras)

c. install canola.

d. install the youtube and last.fm plugin

e. enjoy :))

Marcelo

b-man 2008-04-08 02:45

Sweet!!! thank you:D now i can finally enjoy my favourite media player :D

handful 2008-04-08 03:11

nice :)) glad to see that you solved your problem :))))

Hei : don't forget to send us some "payment" in form of feedback, bug report ok? This is the best way to help us improve the software for you and others!

Marcelo

briand 2008-04-08 03:37

Marcelo didn't like my little joke???

:)

handful 2008-04-08 09:43

Briand: I liked, but I was willing to hear from the dev guys (we have some real clowns in the team ) :))

But I was laughing when I read it :)

Marcelo

b-man 2008-04-08 22:18

I'll be glad to give you some bug feedback:D As soon as i can find one!:)

vvaz 2008-04-09 19:51

Another bug:

When unlocking IT (N800, OS2007) with | {square} and Canola being on "Now playing" screen sequence is catched by Canola and treated as play/pause.

morphbr 2008-04-09 19:52

It's fixed on next release =)

BR,

w4csc 2008-04-11 02:44

Mytube runs YouTube videos smooth as silk on my N800/OS2008 over 6Mbps wifi without balking. Reference video is TOP RATED - I Hate Loving You by Karyn Garcia. 2:59.

Canola 2 plays the same YouTube video in little jerks, even if I wait for the downloading to stop. The CPU meter shows 2 bars, 1/2 load, then jumps to full at times. After the video has stopped playing and Canola 2 is just sitting there, the meter continues to show half scale loading from all the pretty graphics? But, alas, the meter doesn't budge when MyTube is playing that same video. It sits at the bottom on the CPU meter, occasionally bumping up to half like it does when only the background load is playing on the home screen. Oddly, none of the running processes on the processes list shows over 2 or 3% load. Some process Canola 2 uses that's not listed eats the CPU and the videos. As soon as I back out and Exit Canola 2, the CPU meter drops to idle only bumping up half way when OM Weather or one of the background processes like the email goes to the net. The only "load" on the processes list is hildon-desktop from 1-8% and Xomap occasonally at 3%

This same thing happens to DivX movies. Boot mplayer and play a big divx movie off the external 16GB card, plays like HDTV. Play with Canola 2, system goes back to jerking the video from the load on it.

The combination of already-running background processes that bump the CPU to half scale, occasionally, plus the extra load of Canola 2 just overrun what the little processor is capable of, probably from all the pretty graphics MyTube doesn't have.

It's a beautiful piece of work and I thank all involved, but it may be too grandiose for the little tablet computer...and getting more grandiose all the time?

handful 2008-04-11 03:12

Hi w4csc:

Well, I think you didn't know one fact about and took a little too further the conclusions, but in the end : I can "agree" with you in a lot of points you said.

But here comes some facts:

mytube does not use the embedded mode of playback. IT OPENS MPLAYER. this means : that they don't face the same "jerks" because they are not Playing, they are asking mplayer to play.

Mplayer embedded mode is KNOWN to be worse, unfortunately. But fortunately there's a lot of incredible developers in the team, working things out and improving the software. If you took a look to really investigate the problem (instead of relying on "eye analysis" of the "top" command on your applet you would find this :

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18231

that not only people there say it's working way better (even canola plays better) and look, we didn't change one line.

So before pointing out like this, you can look at the facts, and at least at our comments in the issue, to see that we are not giving excuses, we are working to improve and letting everyone knows what's happening.

Could we just said "Ah to hell with UI" and opened mplayer in fullscreen (like other media players do?" yes, and you would have the same performance, but we believe that those projects are working in progress just like ourselves.

So yes, we maybe went a little too further, but it's fixable. But we do thought about cpu, memory and everything else. We do use a lot of memory (images for sure) but we tried to keep it in a sane amount, even reduced a LOT from canola1, to respect the user.

Also, take a look in the 770 version :) it runs smooth, (of course where the load is greater like the photos etc things go slower) but the real problem is when? playback. and it's not because of memory.

But anyways, If you are inside canola and hit fullscreen in the video : NOTHING is drawn by canola, and only basic stuff a kept running. I can show you here, real numbers from cpu usage, and you will see if there's nothing animated on screen, you have almost no cpu usage from our side. We use dbus to listen to events just like any other good applications, and we do follow rules to avoid cpu abuses and so on, we are not crazy developers trying to eat your whole memory.

The same thing also happens with the DivX movies (the embedded mode is really slower) and so you will indeed have a bad experience : /

So is not the Canola2 graphical madness that kills mplayer.

And no, we are not increasing memory usage.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but to read this comment, knowing that this issue has been discussed a lot here, knowing that we are "crazy" worried with cpu consumptions (of course scrolling alpha blended graphics really fast will bump any cpu) but when standing still it maybe bumping, but then we have a bug to fix, if Canola would have this (cpu high or even 50%) when completely stopped, we wouldn't have started the project.

So if you want to run more accurate tests, (top is not that accurate) we have some profiling tools we can help you giving the directions on how to use them.

Cheers,

Marcelo

briand 2008-04-12 04:51

Marcelo --

I could have *sworn* that this issue was raised earlier, and you guys were looking into it... but I cannot find a reference to it in this thread or the youtube plugin thread.

At (seemingly) random times while viewing content on youtube, Canola becomes completely unresponsive. The audible feedback ("click") is heard when canola controls are selected (such as to load/play a video, or to click the 'back' button, etc), but nothing happens. The only way out is to hit the hardware "home" key, which will bring up the task-switch window in the lower left. At that point, one of two scenarios unfold:

1) You can close Canola from that menu by selecting the [X] to the right of the application name in the menu. If you then re-start Canola and re-enter the youtube plugin, you can pull up lists of videos, and select them to load/play, and the progress meter will almost immediately go to "100%", but nothing ever plays. You'll need to exit Canola (if the buttons are responsive, and it lets you), or you have to try to "task switch" back out. This sometimes also fails, and the tablet becomes totally unresponsive. Attempts to power off (to "cold boot") will hang with a "Nokia" graphic on the screen, and it won't completely shut down until you physically remove the battery from the unit.

2) You can't close Canola from the task-switch menu, and occasionally cannot even select the "home" option on that menu. You'll need to power-cycle and reboot the device, possibly resorting to physical removal of the battery to accomplish this, as outlined above.

I don't seem to have any problems within Canola if I stay away from the youtube plugin. I can watch videos, listen to podcasts, etc. without seeing the behavior I described above. My experiences with the youtube plugin in this beta (and this never occurred in the previous beta) always seem to end with having to completely shut the machine down, usually also involving physical removal of the battery to accomplish this. After four or five times through this ritual, I usually just "give up" and decide to do something else rather than continue the torture. (In this case, tonight, *this message* is the 'something else' -- I was trying to watch the various videos on youtube regarding the 8 teens who attacked the girl in polk county florida; I typed "florida polk girl attack" in the youtube search, and was presented with the list of videos. I watched a few, then experienced the problem above. Rebooted (which required removal of the battery to accomplish), restarted Canola, re-entered the youtube plugin, re-typed the search term, re-acquired the return list, scrolled down to where I was before, and watched another two videos, and the problem occurred again. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Five times through this whole ritual, and I'm done playing with the n800 for the night. It's just too emotionally taxing, and I don't want to hurl it at a wall or anything to vent my growing frustration.

Anyway, do you recall this youtube problem being described before? You don't have to be searching videos to experience it -- just pull up the "featured" list, or the "most viewed" list a couple times, and it'll happen. I seem to remember someone saying they could reproduce it by scrolling immediately to the bottom of a returned list, or something... (again, I couldn't find that post when I just browsed the forum).

handful 2008-04-12 21:58

Hi Briand,

It was said, but always in middle or in other ways.. so really don't need to worry :) if you made the search is already good enough :))

The problem : the thing is really the communication between canola and mplayer. It seems that sometimes when mplayer hangs canola them can become unresponsive and so on. We are expecting that the new version (that people is already telling here in the forum works a lot better with canola) solves also a little bit of those problems.

BR

MArcelo

briand 2008-04-13 15:53

marcelo --

much thanks for the response! :) is there an update to mplayer, then, that I should install? where would I find it (or is it pending release very soon) ?

handful 2008-04-14 00:19

Hi Briand, there's a thread here in the ITT forums, but you need to compile etc. So it's not "ready" for prime time : /

Br

Marcelo

Kolyan 2008-04-14 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaz (Post 167582)
Another bug:

When unlocking IT (N800, OS2007) with | {square} and Canola being on "Now playing" screen sequence is catched by Canola and treated as play/pause.

I got to agree with u on this issue however i have it one OS2008 and i also noticed that this happens every time i try to go into screen lock mode, or there is any other "pop-up" over the now playing screen in Canola. Furthermore it seems to only respond to the "enter" or center button on the D-pad and none of the other ones

handful 2008-04-14 20:51

Hei guys,

This has been solved, will be on the next Update.

Cheers,

Marcelo

johsua 2008-04-19 18:17

When using Canola2 B8 if I disconnect from the network almost every time the next time I do some action in Canola the entire tablet crashes. So - if I am home listening to something then go out for a walk with the n800 it will crash. I say almost every time, as I am not 100% sure, but it did happen to me 3 times today. Is there some additional info that would be helpful here?

hfw01 2008-04-20 02:34

I'm having a power consumption issue, and I am not sure if it is related to Canola, but it has happened a couple of times, and I am trying to figure out why.

On most days I charge over night, listen to a podcast on the way to work (about 45 minutes), download podcasts/updates over bluetooth using my phone for internet, listen to about 30 minutes of podcasts, and listen to podcasts on my drive home. There is usually still enough charge to surf the web, watch some youtube videos, before I plug in before bed.

The couple of days I have had power issues, I have listened to mp3s/wma's during the commute, paused the music, and left the n800 in my car for 4-6 hours. When I get back to the car the battery is saying 'less than an hour' useful time. Sometimes it can make the commute back playing music before it gives me the 'battery low' warning', sometimes it doesn't make the whole drive. I think this has happened three or four times.

I haven't been able to find any other correlations that are part of this issue.

Thanks,

Hal

RipTorn 2008-04-20 03:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by handful (Post 168252)
mytube does not use the embedded mode of playback. IT OPENS MPLAYER. this means : that they don't face the same "jerks" because they are not Playing, they are asking mplayer to play.

Is it possible to have the option in Canola2 the ability to have both?

EG. in canola2 config there is an option to have the video embeded or calling mplayer to start the file instead (but by default it is in windowed mode)

mwiktowy 2008-04-20 03:45

Hi,

I haven't seen it mentioned so I will. There has definitely been a major regression in the display time for the image viewer. Before beta8 my photos would load in a reasonable time ... not a short time since they are kind of large (2.5-3.5MB) but a reasonable wait. Now you have to wait about 17 seconds for a full image to show. The thumbnails are reasonably quick. It is just that slow when you drill down into the full view where you can zoom. After it is loaded the zoom and pan is really smooth and quick.

I recall previous versions being much quicker. I don't have any numbers that I measured but I believe it was under 5 seconds for the same image to show up before.

My images have not changed location but they reside on an external mini SD card rather than the built in memory. So I am not sure if you have changed the picture caching behaviour that makes it have to transfer the image more than necessary now. I copied the pictures to my main memory and they open much quicker. Still not under 5 seconds but just slightly more. So there is something going on here.

In constrast, the built in picture viewer loads the same image from either the built-in memory or the external card in slightly over 5 seconds. So Canola is doing something funny with images on the external memory that takes a long time now.

handful 2008-04-20 12:55

Quote:

Is it possible to have the option in Canola2 the ability to have both?

EG. in canola2 config there is an option to have the video embeded or calling mplayer to start the file instead (but by default it is in windowed mode)
@Rip : this is a ugly hack. We believe that projects, like Canola needs time o improve. Mplayer is improving, next versions looks way better. So we prefer to do things the right way.

@mwiktowy : We will take a look in this issue. It seems pretty funny because the photo view has not changed too much : / actually almost nothing in the latest betas I believe.

Anyways, if this is happening we will take a look. Can you send (of course if it'not too personal etc) a couple of those 2.5 -3.5 pictures to my email? so we can benchmark it with your files? Maybe we have a bug in a parser library that is causing the slowdown : /
the email to send is a gmail account, user name : handful :)

BR

Marcelo

briand 2008-04-21 18:41

handful --

I (this afternoon) upgraded mplayer to the new .27 release, and Canola will no longer play my transcoded video files (*.avi) from my MythTV system. Canola almost immediately darkens the screen, and all on-screen buttons become non-responsive. Do you know if the changes you guys sent upstream made it into .27 ?

ref: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...687#post172687

oh, nevermind.

TTgowings 2008-04-21 21:20

I am having the same issue as briand, I even went back to v.26 on Mplayer and still won't play the videos, do I need to un-install both Mplayer & Canola then re-install both to the latest versions ? or is v.27 breaking Canola somehow ?

briand 2008-04-21 21:54

TTgowings --

two things:

1) if you mean you're experiencing what I described in post #34, directly above yours, then I "solved" it by re-scanning my media folders in Canola and discovering that the files no longer existed on my SD card (but were still in the list of media that Canola maintains), and then almost immediately remembered that I had deleted them via file manager last week after I had viewed them.

2) I used to live in upstate New York, at/near the home of the Adirondack Red Wings. Got to see many home games vs. "the usual" group of AHL contenders.

TTgowings 2008-04-21 22:18

Thanks briand, that did the trick, I also re-updated Mplayer to the latest v.27 and all is well.

Too bad for NY but good for me the Adirondack Wings became the Grand Rapids Griffins, I live about 10 mins away from the Van Andel Arena where they play, about 2-1/2 hrs or so to the Joe.

Thanks again.

MiBi 2008-04-22 21:30

Hi handful,

is there a possible problem with mplayer .27 and youtube in canola. It says it cannot resolve url... Nothing plays in youtube plugin. Avi is working...even better than before.

Thanks Mibi

desiv 2008-04-22 21:59

MiBi, A quick search of the forums turns up this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...la+resolve+url

It's a known issue.

desiv

MiBi 2008-04-23 06:16

Thanks desiv. Did not use search because it was my first post made with my N810 and internettablettalk is really a pain (read sluggish and slooowww) when used with the devvice it is made for :(

Now this was my second

Cheers MiBi